ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,150

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#841 » by Potential » Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 pm

Jakob Poeltl is a must have for any serious contender.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,181

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#842 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 4:53 pm

Shakril wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Raptors Record with Poeltl in 22-23 was 15-11 and 26-30 without him
Raptors Record with Poeltl in 23-24 was 21-29 and 4-28 without him

But sure he is the reason why they suddenly started sucking.

Don't mention Barnes was out and IQ and RJ held out for tanking during the majority of that 4-28. It almost makes Poeltl look as good as FVV

The more important stat is not the 4-28, but the stat in january and February were they were 2-11 i think.
Everybody else played and they couldnt win. And they couldnt win, cause the lack of everything Poeltl brings to the table.
But since memories are short, you find any excuse to diminish Poeltl, cause you need someone to poop on.

The only reason I'm posting about Poeltl is in response to all of you and like minded ridiculous justification of the Poeltl trade. He is worth a SRP and we paid lottery FRP and lost draft position in Wemby draft and possibly lose draft position in 2025
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#843 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 4:56 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Shakril wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Don't mention Barnes was out and IQ and RJ held out for tanking during the majority of that 4-28. It almost makes Poeltl look as good as FVV

The more important stat is not the 4-28, but the stat in january and February were they were 2-11 i think.
Everybody else played and they couldnt win. And they couldnt win, cause the lack of everything Poeltl brings to the table.
But since memories are short, you find any excuse to diminish Poeltl, cause you need someone to poop on.

The only reason I'm posting about Poeltl is in response to all of you and like minded ridiculous justification of the Poeltl trade. He is worth a SRP and we paid lottery FRP and lost draft position in Wemby draft and possibly lose draft position in 2025

lol so you hate him mostly because he helped us win games?
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#844 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 5:03 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Shakril wrote:

why didn't we pay FVV 42M x3? He helps us win games too right?
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#845 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 5:05 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

why didn't we pay FVV 42M x3? He helps us win games too right?

I don't know, probably because he's making twice as much as Poeltl?
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,148

Post#846 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 14, 2024 5:08 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:Do yall really think that absolutely nobody in this draft will amount to anything? Anything in terms of being atleast a strong asset or a name to remember. I can only think of Sarr being that guy in this draft

There will definitely be a player that pops, happens every draft. But it would be foolish going into a draft like this betting you'll be the one that will find that gem without understanding luck will play a huge factor.

For a team in our situation, it would be better if we had the 8th pick even with the draft being this bad. Poeltl for the 8th is probably fair value, but the moment FVV walked and we went into a rebuild, the premise of the trade no longer made sense. But I hope all the whining about the 29th pick is over with at this point. We got 2 rotation players for a 2nd round player with a guaranteed contract.

And if the reporting is correct, the 8th pick this year is closer to the 15th pick in a normal draft.

Yeah, I should have said Poeltl for the 8th pick in this draft is a fair price. If we gave up a lottery pick next year, I would have been much more pissed.

Also FWIW, Russillo said on Simmon's pod on Sunday that "no one in the league loves Poeltl like the Raptors love Poeltl". For everyone hoping he gets traded for value (I think I'm also in that camp), this would imply that the odds he's shipped is lower.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,559

Post#847 » by bballsparkin » Tue May 14, 2024 5:13 pm

ciueli wrote:If Jakob Poeltl is so good, why did he get outplayed by Luke Kornet, the third string centre on the Celtics?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202312290BOS.html

Luke Kornet made around 13% of the money Poeltl did this season and is struggling to stay in the league, BTW. He started for the Celtics that game because both Porzingis and Horford were out. Oh, yeah, the Celtics beat us that game even though they didn't have Jayson Tatum as well.

Here's another question. If Jakob Poeltl is so good, why does every team he start for suddenly suck? The only time he's made the playoffs as a starter for his team was 2019 on the Spurs when they lost in the first round, a series where he averaged 7.3 PPG, 7.7 RPG, and 1.3 APG in 25.3 MPG. Maybe it has something to do with him providing zero floor spacing and his inability to hit free throws?

The Raptors defence is not good; the Celtics is top notch. Kornet's job is easier than Jakob's defensively. JP plays with intensity and can't hit FT's reliably. Thus the lower minutes. At this point he's an average starting C in the league. Which is not so easy to acquire.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,559

Post#848 » by bballsparkin » Tue May 14, 2024 5:17 pm

DelAbbot wrote:The only reason I'm posting about Poeltl is in response to all of you and like minded ridiculous justification of the Poeltl trade. He is worth a SRP and we paid lottery FRP and lost draft position in Wemby draft and possibly lose draft position in 2025

Lol, a SRP that's brutal Del. Do better.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,392

Post#849 » by YogurtProducer » Tue May 14, 2024 5:18 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
There will definitely be a player that pops, happens every draft. But it would be foolish going into a draft like this betting you'll be the one that will find that gem without understanding luck will play a huge factor.

For a team in our situation, it would be better if we had the 8th pick even with the draft being this bad. Poeltl for the 8th is probably fair value, but the moment FVV walked and we went into a rebuild, the premise of the trade no longer made sense. But I hope all the whining about the 29th pick is over with at this point. We got 2 rotation players for a 2nd round player with a guaranteed contract.

And if the reporting is correct, the 8th pick this year is closer to the 15th pick in a normal draft.

Yeah, I should have said Poeltl for the 8th pick in this draft is a fair price. If we gave up a lottery pick next year, I would have been much more pissed.

Also FWIW, Russillo said on Simmon's pod on Sunday that "no one in the league loves Poeltl like the Raptors love Poeltl". For everyone hoping he gets traded for value (I think I'm also in that camp), this would imply that the odds he's shipped is lower.

100%. Hell, even in a good draft anything picked 8th or later is a complete gamble. There is a better chance than not Poeltl is a better player than anyone we would have selected anyways.

The actual reality of what Poeltl made us miss out on is less than what a lot of people are making it out to be. If we never got Poeltl we are still in the same situation - years away from being competitive.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,392

Post#850 » by YogurtProducer » Tue May 14, 2024 5:18 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:The only reason I'm posting about Poeltl is in response to all of you and like minded ridiculous justification of the Poeltl trade. He is worth a SRP and we paid lottery FRP and lost draft position in Wemby draft and possibly lose draft position in 2025

Just frankly impossible to reason with people who legitimately believe that kind of bull.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,320

Post#851 » by ciueli » Tue May 14, 2024 5:20 pm

Everyone here defending Jak should go look at every other team's roster and realize the vast majority of the teams in the league have one of:

- a player (or players) around as good as Jak making less money.
- a player way better than Jak.

Some teams have both.

The only teams in the league I found with starting Cs clearly worse than us were Chicago, Washington, and Charlotte. Jak is not our long term answer at C, he's entering his year 29 season and should be traded as he does not fit the timeline of the core being built around.
F22_Raptor
Sixth Man
And1: 3,502

Post#852 » by F22_Raptor » Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pm

Yak's reaction to reading the comments in this thread rn.
ImaBeatDatAzz
Analyst
And1: 4,102

Post#853 » by ImaBeatDatAzz » Tue May 14, 2024 5:33 pm

Guys come on.. Poeltl is definitely not trash or even close. I can understand the people who say he isnt worth a lotto pick, but he was a lotto pick himself and is for sure a top 10 Center. I hated and still hate the trade, but like regardless of everything, we SUCKED azz at the 5 spot for a long time, so i think Masai just pulled the trigger for him not thinking we would suck this bad the year after. he was gonna cost a first regardless, especially with how good he looked on the spurs. But man it just shouldnt have been us.. Masai really overrated our core last year
114-110... "Curry lets it fly...CANADA THE NBA TITLE IS YOURS."
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,099

Post#854 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:39 pm

ciueli wrote:Everyone here defending Jak should go look at every other team's roster and realize the vast majority of the teams in the league have one of:

- a player (or players) around as good as Jak making less money.
- a player way better than Jak.

Some teams have both.

The only teams in the league I found with starting Cs clearly worse than us were Chicago, Washington, and Charlotte. Jak is not our long term answer at C, he's entering his year 29 season and should be traded as he does not fit the timeline of the core being built around.

Please provide a list. So we can see how many of those players are on rookie deals, how many are set for a massive raise this offseason, how many were signed years before.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#855 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:40 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

Just frankly impossible to reason with people who legitimately believe that kind of bull.

This is where it's hard as a moderator to determine who is a fan of the team. Vs who is just actively trolling the forum for fun.

We have to then make judgment calls and then get blasted for it.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#856 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 5:42 pm

Yes I do think Poeltl's bird rights and 2 months is worth a SRP or two - that's what Bos was willing to pay for Poeltl

when I say FRP is arguably fair for Poeltl - that's just to get have a chance at a conversation with some people
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#857 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 5:44 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

This is where it's hard as a moderator to determine who is a fan of the team. Vs who is just actively trolling the forum for fun.

Yeah like being a fan of the team is about paying whatever (draft capital or money) to get players that can contribute to win. Never care about whether that contribution is worth the cost
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#858 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:45 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Just frankly impossible to reason with people who legitimately believe that kind of bull.

Yeah like being a fan of the team is about paying whatever (draft capital or money) to get players that can contribute to win. Never care about whether that contribution is worth the cost

... like who is that?
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,336

Post#859 » by brownbobcat » Tue May 14, 2024 5:49 pm

Shakril wrote:These following Facts wont change no matter how much pooping you do:

- Poeltl is a Top Center in the league who can literally do anything but shoot

Can he play more than 30 MPG? No? Then he's not a top C, end of discussion. He's a decent C (for me to poop on).

Shakril wrote:- League is trending towards a Center Focused league, especially with Victor coming in

Wemby eviscerated Poeltl and blocked his shot 4 times, he fared no better than KO. Poeltl is a complementary player, there is no era in which he is the focal point of a team.

Shakril wrote:- The Raptors season ended the moment Poeltl went down in January. The Drop off in performance was so big, that even the biggest Poeltl hater were quiet. You just all forgot about it conveniently.

Poeltl had absolutely nothing to do with it. Raptors season was over in December, that's why they traded OG. You could argue a 9yr old girl killed the season before it even began, but whatever.

Shakril wrote:- He is on a good Contract, especially down the road with the TV money coming it. Which makes him a very good Trade assett.
- Poeltl himself was a #9 Pick in a rather good Draft - and unlike most Players he made it to his 3rd Contract. Many Lotterypicks dont even make it to their 2nd.
- Poeltl is a Starter since 4 years, which he wouldnt be if he were as bad as people make him to be. And those were not always bad teams. He just had the bad luck of beeing on consecutive teams that started a rebuild. (half season with the spurs at the end of his tenure, and now with the raps since the trades midseason happened, even though he didnt play much in that timeframe)

It's an OK contract, not great, not terrible. And Poeltl cost far more than just the #8 pick this year, the stupidest part of the trade was costing themselves a better shot at a generational player.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#860 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 5:51 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

... like who is that?

That's the reason I'm here arguing about Poeltl. Other posters make it sound like his contribution to winning (quoting W-L with/without Poeltl in the lineup since Feb 2023), is worth the cost of acquisition (and on-going salary), and I'm arguing it's not.

Return to Toronto Raptors