ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,675

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#901 » by Scase » Tue May 14, 2024 8:10 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Gafford has 1 more year left on his deal after this one.

A lotto pick this year is not equal to a lotto pick in other years. At #8, you're probably looking at someone picked around 20 most years.

You realize they traded a 2024 pick right?

The Mavs send Richaun Holmes and a 2024 first-round pick (via Oklahoma City) to the Wizards for Gafford.

The pick was acquired via a separate deal between the Mavs and Oklahoma City Thunder in which the Mavs sent a 2028 pick swap to the Thunder for a 2024 first-round pick.

I was obviously talking about our pick, hence the mention of pick #8.

You're missing the point. They traded a FRP for Gafford, and it was a 2024 pick. We traded a 2024 pick for Jak. Ours was 8th, the one they sent out what is now the 26th pick in the 2024 draft.

You know, a similar pick to what got us Ochai. So by transitive properties means we paid roughly the same amount for Ochai, as they did Gafford. Call me crazy, but Jak isn't 20 picks better in the 1st round, than gafford.
Props TZ!
will
RealGM
And1: 50,009
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#902 » by will » Tue May 14, 2024 8:17 pm

Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:You realize they traded a 2024 pick right?

You're missing the point. They traded a FRP for Gafford, and it was a 2024 pick. We traded a 2024 pick for Jak. Ours was 8th, the one they sent out what is now the 26th pick in the 2024 draft.

You know, a similar pick to what got us Ochai. So by transitive properties means we paid roughly the same amount for Ochai, as they did Gafford. Call me crazy, but Jak isn't 20 picks better in the 1st round, than gafford.

What is the real difference between Yakub and Gafford - really?
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,460

Post#903 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 8:21 pm

Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:You realize they traded a 2024 pick right?

Yes, OKC had a better record than us and thus a lower pick. That's generally how these things work. Would you have wanted us to do a pick swap with OKC as well to acquire their pick?
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,287

Post#904 » by Chandan » Tue May 14, 2024 8:28 pm

will wrote:
Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

athleticism.
Scase
RealGM

Post#905 » by Scase » Tue May 14, 2024 8:34 pm

nikster wrote:
Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Minutes is a very poor way to evaluate players now because minutes have been cut for everyone. Stars are barely playing over 30 minutes now.

There were only 17 Cs total who played over 30 minutes and most were just barely over 30. Unless you're an impact star C, most starting caliber players will be in the 26-32 range.

So how about straight up performance vs other starters then?

He's below average to average, in every single aspect aside from his touch around the rim, which to be fair, is very good. Other than that, he plays less and and puts up worse stats. He is below average for a starting centre.

Average would be less useful stat than Median here. What would that look like without a crazy outlier like Jokic?

I can also argue the opposite which includes players like lively who average less as well. But hey, since I realized I put in Adams and not JJJ for Memphis I can fix that, and do median as well.

Virtually no difference though, his blocking looks better, but his lack of a 3 looks even worse.
Props TZ!
Scase
RealGM

Post#906 » by Scase » Tue May 14, 2024 8:36 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

Yes, OKC had a better record than us and thus a lower pick. That's generally how these things work. Would you have wanted us to do a pick swap with OKC as well to acquire their pick?

Are you intentionally being obtuse, or do you really not get it?

Gafford, is very slightly worse than Jak. Gafford cost a 26th OA pick. Jak costs an 8th OA.

What are you struggling with here? Do you think that the gap between Gafford and Jak, is worth 18th spots. With 1 pick being a lotto pick, and the other being arguably worse than a 31st pick in the second round.

Like seriously?
Props TZ!
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#907 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 8:45 pm

Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:You're missing the point. They traded a FRP for Gafford, and it was a 2024 pick. We traded a 2024 pick for Jak. Ours was 8th, the one they sent out what is now the 26th pick in the 2024 draft.

Gafford, is very slightly worse than Jak. Gafford cost a 26th OA pick. Jak costs an 8th OA.

What are you struggling with here? Do you think that the gap between Gafford and Jak, is worth 18th spots. With 1 pick being a lotto pick, and the other being arguably worse than a 31st pick in the second round.

Like seriously?

And I am saying it wasn't just simply the 26th pick, you have to factor in the 2028 pick swap which was the cost to acquire the OKC pick which could have disastrous ramifications in the future.

lol I don't know, I'm a bit slow so I struggle with a lot.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,486

Post#908 » by Mikistan » Tue May 14, 2024 8:49 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
canada_dry wrote:Idk. Not that strange. Its in line with masais quote of not really being interested in bringing in 3 rooks as well lol.

If we had all 3, a trade for at least one of them would definitely have happened imo.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Technically, they had 2 picks as VV was an undrafted FA.

Still, a rookie. I don't even disagree with the thought process, but they literally just dumped a pantload of non-NBA players on the court to tank, and claim to be patient in their rebuilding next year.

Bobby telling on himself. Saying that year was a fluke
Scase
RealGM

Post#909 » by Scase » Tue May 14, 2024 9:02 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

Like seriously?

And I am saying it wasn't just simply the 26th pick, you have to factor in the 2028 pick swap which was the cost to acquire the OKC pick which could have disastrous ramifications in the future.

Ok then you also need to factor in to make the salaries match we had to move Khem, which cost us 2 SRPs. A pick swap with a team that has an owner who is fine with burning money to compete, and has a top 3-5 players isn't much more of a cost (arguably less) than a couple of 2nds.

But since both of those are meh at best, I didn't figure they held much value in reality, or in the terms of the conversation. A swap is definitely better to have than no swap, but personally I'd rather picks that you can actually get players for.
Props TZ!
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,559

Post#910 » by bballsparkin » Tue May 14, 2024 9:06 pm

Scase wrote:You're missing the point. They traded a FRP for Gafford, and it was a 2024 pick. We traded a 2024 pick for Jak. Ours was 8th, the one they sent out what is now the 26th pick in the 2024 draft.

Gafford was highly unlikely to be available for that price when Jakob was acquired. At the time the Wizards were foolishly gunning for the play-in. Now it's a new FO for the Wizards and they were openly tanking this season. They got OKC's pick in this draft but more importantly the 2nd over all pick from their bad record.

They Raptors brass wanted to give it one last chance with the championship crew. It failed. Now everyone is gone including our #8 pick. I'm moving on. They need to get this off season right and hopefully not rush the rebuild.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,915

Post#911 » by djsunyc » Tue May 14, 2024 9:08 pm

trade done.

yak is here.

everyone...move the f ck on lol. y'all cant get out of your own feelings!
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#912 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 9:12 pm

Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:Are you intentionally being obtuse, or do you really not get it?

Like seriously?

Ok then you also need to factor in to make the salaries match we had to move Khem, which cost us 2 SRPs. A pick swap with a team that has an owner who is fine with burning money to compete, and has a top 3-5 players isn't much more of a cost (arguably less) than a couple of 2nds.

But since both of those are meh at best, I didn't figure they held much value in reality, or in the terms of the conversation. A swap is definitely better to have than no swap, but personally I'd rather picks that you can actually get players for.

You consider Presti pretty sharp no? Why would he trade their first rounder while simultaneously helping a rival they end up playing in the playoffs for just a pick swap if he didn't think it held much value. Luka has a player option for 26-27 and the pick swap is for 2028.

Yes, the Birch signing was unfortunate and having to give up extra assets to offload him was not ideal.
Scase
RealGM

Post#913 » by Scase » Tue May 14, 2024 9:34 pm

bballsparkin wrote:

Gafford was highly unlikely to be available for that price when Jakob was acquired. At the time the Wizards were foolishly gunning for the play-in. Now it's a new FO for the Wizards and they were openly tanking this season. They got OKC's pick in this draft but more importantly the 2nd over all pick from their bad record.

They Raptors brass wanted to give it one last chance with the championship crew. It failed. Now everyone is gone including our #8 pick. I'm moving on. They need to get this off season right and hopefully not rush the rebuild.

This sadly, I think is going to be the biggest problem. I have absolutely zero faith in the FO to execute a reasonable rebuild. The IQ/RJ/Jak/KO acquisitions scream re-tool to me. And I will assume as such until proven otherwise.

PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

You consider Presti pretty sharp no? Why would he trade their first rounder while simultaneously helping a rival they end up playing in the playoffs for just a pick swap if he didn't think it held much value. Luka has a player option for 26-27 and the pick swap is for 2028.

Yes, the Birch signing was unfortunate and having to give up extra assets to offload him was not ideal.

I never said it was a bad idea for OKC, it's a low risk, high reward move for them. For DAL it is more of a high risk high reward move. Definitely can backfire, but can also pay off, as it is currently allowing them to have a legit shot at the WCF as a 5 seed. All that trade needs to do, is show Luka they are trying.

The Jak trade was a high risk, low reward. And THAT is my gripe. We were a lotto team, that traded a lotto pick, with bad protections, for a player I think even the most ardent defenders, can admit is not the linchpin to turning us into a contending team. This is the type of trade that Masai should and would have been congratulated on back in 2018/19, when those teams were 50+ win teams and needed to get over the hump. Not a team that was 6 games below .500 and in the lotto, with three MASSIVE UFAs on the horizon.

I never have had a single issue with Jak the player, outside his poor shooting that is. But I HATED the trade because it was bad value, poorly timed, and not a needle mover.
Props TZ!
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#914 » by will » Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 pm

Chandan wrote:
will wrote:

athleticism.

Who has the athleticism?
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,022

Post#915 » by anotherhomer » Tue May 14, 2024 10:59 pm

Been beaten to death. Yak trade is ujiri worst move in a vacuum.

Been beaten to death, let's move on
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,287

Post#916 » by Chandan » Tue May 14, 2024 11:21 pm

anotherhomer wrote:Been beaten to death. Yak trade is ujiri worst move in a vacuum.

Been beaten to death, let's move on

you should talk to the guy that just said he'd make the trade again 10 times out of 10 instead of move on. :lol:
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#917 » by nikster » Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 pm

Scase wrote:
nikster wrote:
Scase wrote:So how about straight up performance vs other starters then?

He's below average to average, in every single aspect aside from his touch around the rim, which to be fair, is very good. Other than that, he plays less and and puts up worse stats. He is below average for a starting centre.

Average would be less useful stat than Median here. What would that look like without a crazy outlier like Jokic?

I can also argue the opposite which includes players like lively who average less as well. But hey, since I realized I put in Adams and not JJJ for Memphis I can fix that, and do median as well.

Virtually no difference though, his blocking looks better, but his lack of a 3 looks even worse.

So significantly better defensively than average, better finisher at the rim, more assists and better assist/TO ratio, rebounds per minute basically the same. Ignores all the little things he does well (positional defense, screening etc...)

So once again your argument boils down to just 3 point shooting
Scase
RealGM

Post#918 » by Scase » Wed May 15, 2024 12:22 am

nikster wrote:
Scase wrote:
nikster wrote:Average would be less useful stat than Median here. What would that look like without a crazy outlier like Jokic?

So significantly better defensively than average, better finisher at the rim, more assists and better assist/TO ratio, rebounds per minute basically the same. Ignores all the little things he does well (positional defense, screening etc...)

So once again your argument boils down to just 3 point shooting

Significantly better defensively than what now? This is an aggregate of stats, not a per player comparison. Cause he averages a third of a block more per game? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worse rebounder, absolutely horrible from the line making him worthless in close games. As evidenced by his inability to play significant minutes. And then you bring up stuff like positional defence and screens hahaha. Cool, now go prove he's better at than then the other 29 players.

Dude is a mid centre, definitely not above average, how hard you are trying to prove this is sad. Again, Masai himself said the trade was a mistake. Y'all are unhinged with the defence of an objectively bad trade.
Props TZ!
will
RealGM

Post#919 » by will » Wed May 15, 2024 12:56 am

That's a complete violation of JJJ comparing him to Yakub.

Oh my goodness.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,022

Post#920 » by anotherhomer » Wed May 15, 2024 1:01 am

will wrote:That's a complete violation of JJJ comparing him to Yakub.

Oh my goodness.

change in falir, Will is no longer a raps fan??

Return to Toronto Raptors