ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 4

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,823

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 4 

Post#901 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu May 16, 2024 3:18 pm

Psubs wrote:
NBA48mins wrote:
Psubs wrote:OOoooooooh forget about Bronny and Lebron, what about drafting JT Toppin with #31 and signing Obi Toppin?

JT looks like he could be Pascal Siakam 2.0 with a better 3pt shot.

are JT and Obi even related? they look nothing a like other than sharing the same last name :lol:

Oh damn!!!! :lol: Jacob Toppin is younger brother. Toppin doesn't seem like a common name.

Anyways, if he played at a better school, he might be considered on the same level of a prospect as a Jarace Walker, right?

Same level as Jarace? C’mon man
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 936

Post#902 » by TNRaps4life » Thu May 16, 2024 3:20 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

The number 31 pick just became more tradable for anyone that wants Bronny .
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,180

Post#903 » by PoundTown » Thu May 16, 2024 3:33 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:
NBA48mins wrote:
are JT and Obi even related? they look nothing a like other than sharing the same last name :lol:

Oh damn!!!! :lol: Jacob Toppin is younger brother. Toppin doesn't seem like a common name.

Anyways, if he played at a better school, he might be considered on the same level of a prospect as a Jarace Walker, right?

I'm on the Toppin bandwagon. He has a very similar profile to Siakam. He has a mixture of production and raw ability / upside. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Masai picked him at 19. Could be a high end role player/ energy guy. Great rebounder, floor runner, plus defender and corner 3 dude that effects the game with hustle, length and athletecism. I like the upside and fit on our team. Still young enough for untapped offensive potential too.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,409

Post#904 » by XTC » Thu May 16, 2024 3:43 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

basically a high end role /fringe all star type of player. not that bad if everyone else in the draft also suck (there is probably some outliers lurking in the draft that could possibly outplay the top lottery picks in this draft, career wise)

no franchise altering player in this draft it seems.

Draft is starting to look like the 2000 draft IMO. It's not going to produce many Allstars, the #1 pick is going to be very disappointing (Kenyon Martin). If there was ever a draft to give up a lottery pick it's the 2024 NBA draft. If we end up with a MoPete level starter that would be a win in my eyes.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 234

Post#905 » by RoteSchroder » Thu May 16, 2024 3:48 pm

PoundTown wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:

I'm on the Toppin bandwagon. He has a very similar profile to Siakam. He has a mixture of production and raw ability / upside. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Masai picked him at 19. Could be a high end role player/ energy guy. Great rebounder, floor runner, plus defender and corner 3 dude that effects the game with hustle, length and athletecism. I like the upside and fit on our team. Still young enough for untapped offensive potential too.

Not sure what you guys are watching, but he looks nothing like Siakam.

Siakam was quicker with the ball and already had an arsenal of moves in college. Toppin isn’t great at creating his own shot and has a slow post up move that goes into a hook shot with a low release point. Topping’s skill set is much more of a role player.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,723

Post#906 » by Psubs » Thu May 16, 2024 3:59 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:
NBA48mins wrote:

Poeltl was drafted 9th, right? Siakam in the 20s'.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,782

Post#907 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Thu May 16, 2024 4:01 pm

RoteSchroder wrote:
PoundTown wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Same level as Jarace? C’mon man

Siakam was quicker with the ball and already had an arsenal of moves in college. Toppin isn’t great at creating his own shot and has a slow post up move that goes into a hook shot with a low release point. Topping’s skill set is much more of a role player.

Toppin compares favorably in many regards to Kevon Looney. Looney shot 41.5% from deep his freshman year on a small sample but that shooting never materialized in the NBA. Toppin shot 34.4% on an even smaller sample. There's no guarantee he can space the floor at next level but he should be a big time beast on the glass and while Looney excels more as a passer Toppin will likely excel more as a shot blocker and seems to have better touch inside. Same type of role though.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#908 » by Psubs » Thu May 16, 2024 4:16 pm

RoteSchroder wrote:
PoundTown wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Same level as Jarace? C’mon man

Siakam redshirted his freshman year and when drafted in 2016 he was 22.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2024-25

Oooooh, maybe those short arms were Jacob Toppin.

JT Toppin is 6'7 without shoes with a wingspan of 7'0.5
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Post#909 » by God Squad » Thu May 16, 2024 4:18 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
I am still high on Salaun

Is he really 6'11 (I guess in shoes). If so would be like possibly a Blake Griffin?

Do we go Salaun and Chomche? All those trips to France just for vacation scouting?

I’d say he reminds me of Ersan Ilyasova

Way better comp than frickin Blake Griffin. smfh
Psubs
RealGM

Post#910 » by Psubs » Thu May 16, 2024 4:20 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
PoundTown wrote:

Toppin compares favorably in many regards to Kevon Looney. Looney shot 41.5% from deep his freshman year on a small sample but that shooting never materialized in the NBA. Toppin shot 34.4% on an even smaller sample. There's no guarantee he can space the floor at next level but he should be a big time beast on the glass and while Looney excels more as a passer Toppin will likely excel more as a shot blocker and seems to have better touch inside. Same type of role though.

He'll be a Boucher replacement that is a stronger rebounder and defender. It's only 2 games but he went 1 for 2 and 2 for 2 from NBA distance. I guess Looney with 3pt shooting is an adequate floor. Toppin seems like more of a lob threat than Looney ever was.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#911 » by douggood » Thu May 16, 2024 4:24 pm

Russillo: "I heard from 8 teams...I had another guy say it’s like starting the draft at 10th. Then I asked somebody else, give me comps. He was essentially saying this is like Derek Lively or Tobias Harris being the No. 1 pick in the draft.”

Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,692

Post#912 » by Bruin » Thu May 16, 2024 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
will
RealGM
And1: 50,011
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#913 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 4:40 pm

Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Any UCLA Bruins worth highlighting, Bruin?
will
RealGM
And1: 50,011
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#914 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 4:41 pm

douggood wrote:Russillo: "I heard from 8 teams...I had another guy say it’s like starting the draft at 10th. Then I asked somebody else, give me comps. He was essentially saying this is like Derek Lively or Tobias Harris being the No. 1 pick in the draft.”

OOF.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,183

Post#915 » by billy_hoyle » Thu May 16, 2024 4:41 pm

douggood wrote:Russillo: "I heard from 8 teams...I had another guy say it’s like starting the draft at 10th. Then I asked somebody else, give me comps. He was essentially saying this is like Derek Lively or Tobias Harris being the No. 1 pick in the draft.”

Hyperbole, and contradictory assessments.

I'd take Sarr over Lively as a prospect 100%.

Lively (in a really good draft, or so the experts opine) will be making at least All-Rookie second team. He would be in play for a top 5-7 pick last year in a redraft. That means Sarr goes ~ top 5.

That's not some crazy tier shift.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#916 » by TimeForChange » Thu May 16, 2024 4:43 pm

Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Thank god the pick conveyed
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,823

Post#917 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu May 16, 2024 4:43 pm

Psubs wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Poeltl was drafted 9th, right? Siakam in the 20s'.

If y’all think Toppin is Siakam level I can’t help you. Siakam is an anomaly
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#918 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Thu May 16, 2024 4:45 pm

Psubs wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

He'll be a Boucher replacement that is a stronger rebounder and defender. It's only 2 games but he went 1 for 2 and 2 for 2 from NBA distance. I guess Looney with 3pt shooting is an adequate floor. Toppin seems like more of a lob threat than Looney ever was.

I view him as like 75% Looney 25% Montrezl what's important though is establishing the projected role
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#919 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Thu May 16, 2024 4:52 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Thank god the pick conveyed

:lol:

Pretty much. You might have one guy in Topic who in plain sight seems capable of a +4 BPM if he pans out and a bunch of +3 ceiling guys.

But like Masai said there will probably be 2 guys who can hit +4 in this draft when all is said and done.
torsport
Assistant Coach
And1: 118

Post#920 » by torsport » Thu May 16, 2024 4:54 pm

This year is a tough year to mock for sure.

It's too bad about losing the 6th pick, but it is what it is.

I don't think this draft will be as bad as folks are making it out. I do feel there will be all-stars/border line all-stars that come out of this draft.

My two favorites were Cody Williams - he has good pedigree with his brother at OKC and has a far more developed offensive game than his older brother did/does. He didn't impress in college overall, but when I watched him play he could score in so many ways, very creative and fluid and has the tools to be a good defender too. Ja'kobe Walter is the other, good range from 3, can handle the ball, has good size and really good defensively. I think in the end they'll be the best of the draft class, both would have been available at 6, but neither will be available by 19 I don't think.

With this draft it's tough to call what will happen at 19 and whether Raps draft for need or BPA, when the talent separation isn't that great between prospects in the draft. I'm thinking at 19 a backup point guard like Jared McCain or Tyler Kolek would be nice. I'm not a fan of Devin Carter at all. He's too limited from range and his shot is a little funky. I think he has Delon Wright written all over him. Might as well just sign him as the backup, it would be cheaper. I could see Terrance Shannon Jr. having an immediate impact on our team, but his off court issues may make the FO pass. Also could see Tyler Smith as someone with high upside. I like Tristan da Silva too, but don't see enough potential there to get excited about, and not sure about fit, so why draft him?

At 31 I'm pretty high on Ulrich Chomche. Great range, defensive potential, fits a need and I think, if he develops could be a Naz Reid type of guy. I really like him. I also like Da'Ron Holmes a fair bit. I think he'd be an interesting add to the front court and has enough variety in his game that he could surprise. I'd consider him at 19 even, not sure he'd make it to 31. I also like KJ Simpsons, who has been impressing at the combine. He played with a lot of intensity with Colorado and could be a good backup PG in the league, with starter upside. Great athlete, has shooting range, plays defense and a vocal leader. I'd be happy with him if we don't grab a backup PG with 19.

That said, this is all subject to change as we learn more about the draftees in the coming weeks. Sorry we're going to miss out on the top end of the draft. I think there is still star potential to be had there. But happy we're closing the conversation about when to convey the pick.

Return to Toronto Raptors