ImageImageImageImageImage

Was Embiid dirty tonight?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,314

Re: Was Embiid dirty tonight? 

Post#81 » by vulture » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Dirty play again Sunday. Happened just before a review of a separate play between Hart and Lowry. No review. Adam Silver in the crowd, but will they review it better games and do something? Not for Embiid, other players they would.

Read on Twitter

Walt I thought you were old school. When a small guy comes through the lane you have to hit him to let him know that he can’t come in here.

I’ve had no issue with embiid’s physical play other than the Robinson flagrant. This game is about physicality and in the playoffs you have to play a mental and physical game. He set the tone of that game and that’s how you play to dare the refs to keep making those calls.
I had no issue when he played the raptors and he brought that level of physicality and I had no problem when pascal cracked his face.

In the regular you might not allow that kind of thing because the game is soft now and everything is a flagrant. there is no way anyone is ejecting the mvp of the league because he took Robinson out of the air.

With that said I’ve loved the level of play in this series. It’s a war of attrition and exactly what this league needs. Give me this kind of competition all day everyday.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,160

Post#82 » by The Warrior » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:53 pm

vulture wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Dirty play again Sunday. Happened just before a review of a separate play between Hart and Lowry. No review. Adam Silver in the crowd, but will they review it better games and do something? Not for Embiid, other players they would.

Read on Twitter

Walt I thought you were old school. When a small guy comes through the lane you have to hit him to let him know that he can’t come in here.

I’ve had no issue with embiid’s physical play other than the Robinson flagrant. This game is about physicality and in the playoffs you have to play a mental and physical game. He set the tone of that game and that’s how you play to dare the refs to keep making those calls.
I had no issue when he played the raptors and he brought that level of physicality and I had no problem when pascal cracked his face.

In the regular you might not allow that kind of thing because the game is soft now and everything is a flagrant. there is no way anyone is ejecting the mvp of the league because he took Robinson out of the air.

With that said I’ve loved the level of play in this series. It’s a war of attrition and exactly what this league needs. Give me this kind of competition all day everyday.

Regardless of what you think about the physicality in today's NBA, Embiid is a dirty player plan and simple. The referees and the league in turn are complicit for allowing him to get away with his shenanigans. The point being, their selectivity gives Embiid the confidence to push boundaries with increasingly aggressive plays.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,314

Post#83 » by vulture » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:47 pm

The Warrior wrote:
vulture wrote:

Read on Twitter

Regardless of what you think about the physicality in today's NBA, Embiid is a dirty player plan and simple. The referees and the league in turn are complicit for allowing him to get away with his shenanigans. The point being, their selectivity gives Embiid the confidence to push boundaries with increasingly aggressive plays.

I would call him more of a bully than a dirty Player and the game is about bullying if you are the bigger player. He was imposing his will and setting the tone on how the game should be called.
One other thing to remember is that the Knicks are sending all these players to the offensive glass and he has to knock the hell of them to not come in there.

This was all part of the game so was hitting guys after the whistle. The postseason is a different sport.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,926
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#84 » by will » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:49 pm

It's always hilarious to read "forearm shiver" or hear someone say that.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,014

Post#85 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:23 pm

vulture wrote:

Read on Twitter

I am old school but in the new NBA where any head contact is F1, the old ways don't apply anymore. Laimbeer, Oakley, Mahorn, you can't do that anymore.

And the trouble with Embiid is he'll get away with dirty plays, if a Knick forearm shivered Maxey like that it would've been penalized.

I do like how since the ASG the league permits more physical defense, but not including headshots
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#86 » by will » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 pm

JoJo certainly pushes the boundaries.

Either way, only one more game before Philly goes home.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,014

Post#87 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:26 pm

will wrote:It's always hilarious to read "forearm shiver" or hear someone say that.

Football term. But even the NFL has cut back on shots to the head.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
youreachiteach
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#88 » by youreachiteach » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:30 pm

I feel a little dirty cheering for the Knicks (although I was a fan until the Raptor's inception--John Starks era) but I will be so happy to see Embiid out early!
will
RealGM

Post#89 » by will » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 pm

youreachiteach wrote:I feel a little dirty cheering for the Knicks (although I was a fan until the Raptor's inception--John Starks era) but I will be so happy to see Embiid out early!

This version of the Knicks is scrappy.

Reminds me of those Patrick elbow pads/John Starks era Knickerbockers.

I like.
youreachiteach
Veteran

Post#90 » by youreachiteach » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:37 pm

It's been great seeing John cheering at the games. He was even in Philly. I love the no-star teams--I was a big fan of the Pistons Chauncey Billups teams too. It's a tiny island of fresh air in a sea of three pointers. These guys really play with heart. After watching the Raptors this year, it's been great!

I have to say I also am enjoying NBA Chev after the Knick wins too. His laugh alone is hilarious.
will
RealGM

Post#91 » by will » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:39 pm

youreachiteach wrote:It's been great seeing John cheering at the games. He was even in Philly. I love the no-star teams--I was a big fan of the Pistons Chauncey Billups teams too. It's a tiny island of fresh air in a sea of three pointers. These guys really play with heart. After watching the Raptors this year, it's been great!

I have to say I also am enjoying NBA Chev after the Knick wins too. His laugh alone is hilarious.

How about Latrell Sprewell being at MSG?

SPREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
youreachiteach
Veteran

Post#92 » by youreachiteach » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:41 pm

I loved how he played. He was such a gamer despite not really being an elite shooter. Hopefully no one threatens his livelihood at the game and everyone will be alright.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,190

Post#93 » by HiJiNX » Wed May 1, 2024 2:39 pm

There’s physical and there’s dirty. I love physical play—as a viewer and as a player. But what Embiid does is dirty and literally injures other players. There’s no defence for that. And it’s happened enough times that you have to believe it’s part of his character. I dislike him as a player and a person as a result and hope he never wins. Hopefully Maxey, who is growing on me, can shed himself of the front running Embiid and enjoy playoff success.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,310

Post#94 » by Kordic27 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:03 pm

will wrote:
youreachiteach wrote:It's been great seeing John cheering at the games. He was even in Philly. I love the no-star teams--I was a big fan of the Pistons Chauncey Billups teams too. It's a tiny island of fresh air in a sea of three pointers. These guys really play with heart. After watching the Raptors this year, it's been great!

SPREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I can't hear that name without thinking of spinning rims.
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
will
RealGM

Post#95 » by will » Wed May 1, 2024 3:05 pm

Kordic27 wrote:
will wrote:

SPREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Spinning rims x Dada sneakers

What an absolute collab.
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,310

Post#96 » by Kordic27 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:10 pm

will wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:
will wrote:

SPREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

What an absolute collab.

The rims were such a cultural oddity. Like, for a minute, the whole world genuinely couldn't decide if they were really cool or really dumb. Then the sneakers came out and the world was like - oh right... this is super dumb.
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,298

Post#97 » by ruckus » Wed May 1, 2024 3:36 pm

will wrote:
youreachiteach wrote:I feel a little dirty cheering for the Knicks (although I was a fan until the Raptor's inception--John Starks era) but I will be so happy to see Embiid out early!

I like.

It'd be nice if former Raptors repped the team the same way former Knicks do. Ewing, Melo and Starks have probably been at every MSG game this series.
will
RealGM

Post#98 » by will » Wed May 1, 2024 4:45 pm

Kordic27 wrote:
will wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:

What an absolute collab.

The rims were such a cultural oddity. Like, for a minute, the whole world genuinely couldn't decide if they were really cool or really dumb. Then the sneakers came out and the world was like - oh right... this is super dumb.

Chris Webber would profusely disagree :lol:
will
RealGM

Post#99 » by will » Wed May 1, 2024 5:49 pm

ruckus wrote:
will wrote:

I like.

It'd be nice if former Raptors repped the team the same way former Knicks do. Ewing, Melo and Starks have probably been at every MSG game this series.

It was just a job for the former Raptors.

New York Knickerbockers basketball is a culture. A lifestyle.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,343

Post#100 » by Shaazzam » Thu May 2, 2024 2:55 pm

They may also live in NY
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone

Return to Toronto Raptors