ImageImageImageImageImage

Was Embiid dirty tonight?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Arnold_Palmer
Freshman
And1: 117

Re: Was Embiid dirty tonight? 

Post#21 » by Arnold_Palmer » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:55 am

I think he was dirty I just wish someone gave him a hard foul, might as well make him earn it if you’re going to foul. He legitimately bullied the Raptors out their tonight.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,656

Post#22 » by SFour » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:57 am

Arnold_Palmer wrote:I think he was dirty I just wish someone gave him a hard foul, might as well make him earn it if you’re going to foul. He legitimately bullied the Raptors out their tonight.

he didn't bully anybody...just flopped like a fish and expected every call from the refs
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#23 » by dalton749 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:03 am

Not really hes just lazy and plays like a little bitch. I would like him if he was dunking on our team and using his size appropriately but the guy flops around like someone skinner than Boucher.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,242

Post#24 » by Appostis » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:09 am

reckless to the point where calling it dirty wouldn't be unfair...
BrickFreak
Freshman
And1: 63

Post#25 » by BrickFreak » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:17 am

You mean every night?
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#26 » by Courtside » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:22 am

He wasn't dirty. That requires intent.

He is, however, pretty clumsy and reckless for a guy that big and strong. He falls constantly as a means to save himself from injury, but that gets him more calls than are really earned, and puts others around him at risk - even his own teammates.

The elbow on Birch was a correct flagrant one call.

The stepping on Scottie's foot was just random chance, unfortunately, and not even sure it falls into the reckless or clumsy territory either. He was cut of and taking steps to change direction. He could have just as easily rolled his own ankle as he did Scottie's, since he wasn't looking where he was stepping, but that happens all game long by most players.

It sucks, but that was flukey bad luck.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,822

Post#27 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:30 am

He’s physical, trying to big boy us. Overall he plays like this most of the time though
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
tdot_steel
Senior
And1: 646

Post#28 » by tdot_steel » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:32 am

I am not buying there wasn't intent. You do not elbow 2 separate players in the head, bulldoze others and try to maim other players if there isn't intent. The refs allowed it.

Or posed another way....have you seen any Raptor player get away with this type of reckless play?
tdot_steel
Senior

Post#29 » by tdot_steel » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:38 am

Courtside wrote:He wasn't dirty. That requires intent.

He is, however, pretty clumsy and reckless for a guy that big and strong. He falls constantly as a means to save himself from injury, but that gets him more calls than are really earned, and puts others around him at risk - even his own teammates.

The elbow on Birch was a correct flagrant one call.

The stepping on Scottie's foot was just random chance, unfortunately, and not even sure it falls into the reckless or clumsy territory either. He was cut of and taking steps to change direction. He could have just as easily rolled his own ankle as he did Scottie's, since he wasn't looking where he was stepping, but that happens all game long by most players.

It sucks, but that was flukey bad luck.

If you have played either basketball or football. If you inadvertently step on someone else foot it is normal to look back. Embiid knew he stepped on Barnes' foot and kept on playing. Now, if there was no intention after the whistle is blown Embiid knowing what happened one would think to check on said player. If there wasn't intent there would be some concern or empathy.

[streamable][/streamable]
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#30 » by alevirfe » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:45 am

the foul on Barnes should've been a flagrant 2 and possible game suspension. reminds me of the Andrew Bynum foul years ago. just a dirty play
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,904

Post#31 » by XtremeDunkz » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:56 am

Not trying to troll.

What I saw was the biggest guy (by far) on the floor being swarmed by 2-3 smaller guys at all times. In those situations there's going to be contact every time. Embiid initiated some and the raps initiated some.

If Embiid was guarded by a 7 footer his elbows would hit shoulders, not faces like when the smaller guys crowd him.

He's clumsy for sure. But not dirty.

That's part of the risk of playing small against a giant like him.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 6,009

Post#32 » by Coco Costanza » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:06 am

Arnold_Palmer wrote:I think he was dirty I just wish someone gave him a hard foul, might as well make him earn it if you’re going to foul. He legitimately bullied the Raptors out their tonight.

I think we just don't really have any tough players. We used to. Guys like Oakley, Ibaka, P.J Tucker. Now, who is the toughest? Maybe OG? I'm talking about guys who won't back down from a fight.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
tdot_steel
Senior

Post#33 » by tdot_steel » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:05 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:Not trying to troll.

What I saw was the biggest guy (by far) on the floor being swarmed by 2-3 smaller guys at all times. In those situations there's going to be contact every time. Embiid initiated some and the raps initiated some.

If Embiid was guarded by a 7 footer his elbows would hit shoulders, not faces like when the smaller guys crowd him.

When the same player elbows 2 different guys in the head intentionally in the one game that player does not get the benefit of the doubt. I will not be swayed otherwise. He could have gone to Scottie after the whistle as he knew what happened and he could give 2 f***s and didn't even check on him. That indicates to be either he is a jerk and/or it was intentional.

Why are we not talking about any other player on the Sixers playing this way? It was obvious the intent.
Plus Doc leaving the Sixers starting lineup in up 20pts and then having Maxey go for 40 was bush league and low class.

One thing about the Raptors is they are tough and do not back down. Let's see how they respond against the bully and if they punch back.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#34 » by h4rrison » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:09 am

As much as I don’t like the play and Scottie getting injured. Embiid stepping on Scottie’s ankle was not malicious. Clearly just wrong timing. It happens.

As far as Embiid’s play throughout the game, it’s playoff basketball, you gotta play hard. They can say the same thing about Scottie’s flagrant on Maxey.

Teams play harder in the playoffs. It’s going to get dirty. There’s a double standard. If we play hard, we have to accept the opposing team is gonna have some hard plays too.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,859

Post#35 » by Raptors Realtor » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:20 am

I think he just plays like a bull in a china shop... He knows he's the biggest guy on the floor, so if he runs into anyone, the other player is going to feel the brunt... and it doesn't hurt that the refs will always give him the benefit of doubt on plays where there's any physicality.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#36 » by Pooh_Jeter » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:24 am

As some others have mentioned Embiid is fairly clumsy and when you put that in a gigantic strong body who invites contact you're going to have physicality. Those saying he is dirty and needs to be suspended are overreacting. This is playoff basketball and he is going to obviously use his physical advantages against the Raptors.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
tdot_steel
Senior

Post#37 » by tdot_steel » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:25 am

h4rrison wrote:As much as I don’t like the play and Scottie getting injured. Embiid stepping on Scottie’s ankle was not malicious. Clearly just wrong timing. It happens.

As far as Embiid’s play throughout the game, it’s playoff basketball, you gotta play hard. They can say the same thing about Scottie’s flagrant on Maxey.

Teams play harder in the playoffs. It’s going to get dirty. There’s a double standard. If we play hard, we have to accept the opposing team is gonna have some hard plays too.

There was a double standard. The ticky tack fouls on FVV and Boucher were baffling. But then Embiid is throwin 'bows, running over people and getting free throws in the process. You can't have one team playing bully and not allow the other team to fight back. There is no use playing in that case.

I don't know what game you were watching in the 1st 2 quarters....but the tone was set by the refs they were going to allow the Sixers to do whatever they wanted.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,454

Post#38 » by KL78192020 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:27 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:As some others have mentioned Embiid is fairly clumsy and when you put that in a gigantic strong body who invites contact you're going to have physicality. Those saying he is dirty and needs to be suspended are overreacting. This is playoff basketball and he is going to obviously use his physical advantages against the Raptors.

This is where the having 5 guys that are 6'8 theory kinda fails. Against some teams you need a true big man like we did in 2019 in Gasol. Most other teams it wouldn't matter, but in this case it does going up against possibly the best big in the league for the next 5 years might be an issue.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#39 » by Pooh_Jeter » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:31 am

KL78192020 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:As some others have mentioned Embiid is fairly clumsy and when you put that in a gigantic strong body who invites contact you're going to have physicality. Those saying he is dirty and needs to be suspended are overreacting. This is playoff basketball and he is going to obviously use his physical advantages against the Raptors.

This is where the having 5 guys that are 6'8 theory kinda fails. Against some teams you need a true big man like we did in 2019 in Gasol. Most other teams it wouldn't matter, but in this case it does going up against possibly the best big in the league for the next 5 years might be an issue.

Yup, the top 3 MVP candidates are all physical specimens in their own way and require some sort of size to deter. Jokic, Embiid and Giannis aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,707

Post#40 » by Clay Davis » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:31 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:Not trying to troll.

I think this as well. What's he supposed to do, play like he's 5 inches shorter? There's no reason for him to do that.

He definitely has an edge to him. Siakam was justified in pushing him away when he stepped towards him when he was on the ground. That being said, I hope that there's no actual bad blood between them and they'll go back to being bros once the series ends.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.

Return to Toronto Raptors