ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Leafs/NHL Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,984

Re: OT: Leafs/NHL Thread 

Post#1161 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:09 am

JB7 wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:Matthews: 1 goal in his last 9 PO games
Marner: 2 goals in his last 13 PO games
Tavares: 2 goals in his last 13 PO games

That is some next level choking from the guys making the big bucks.

I would focus less on the 33yr old, who at least puts his body on the line to create chances than the two 26 yr old's in their prime who refuse to go anywhere they might get hit.

Marner has to be the softest top end player I've ever seen. How that man looks like one of the elites in the regular season to being one of the worst players in the playoffs is remarkable.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,688

Post#1162 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 am

At what point do Shanahan and Shapiro get fired? They've been running the Leafs and Jays into the ground for a decade now.

I get why Masai is given a longer leash, he's actually won something, but those two are absolute clowns. Shapiro has been failing miserably as an executive since 2001.

Fans need to stop attending games. Ownership doesn't care about winning. They care about revenue. My friends and I made a pledge to boycott the Jays this year and we're sticking to it. I wish more people did this. It's not like the product on the field/ice is even entertaining. It's torturous.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,531

Post#1163 » by bballsparkin » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:13 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Marner has to be the softest top end player I've ever seen. How that man looks like one of the elites in the regular to being one of the worst players in the playoffs is remarkable.

Conor Garland is smaller than him and puts him to shame. Marner is wasting his talent.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,984

Post#1164 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:38 am

Raps in 4 wrote:At what point do Shanahan and Shapiro get fired? They've been running the Leafs and Jays into the ground for a decade now.

I get why Masai is given a longer leash, he's actually won something, but those two are absolute clowns. Shapiro has been failing miserably as an executive since 2001.

Fans need to stop attending games. Ownership doesn't care about winning. They care about revenue. My friends and I made a pledge to boycott the Jays this year and we're sticking to it. I wish more people did this. It's not like the product on the field/ice is even entertaining. It's torturous.

I'm with you. I refuse to attend a Jays game out of my own freewill. They are the least entertaining product I've seen in a while.

Leafs wise, how they can keep the core 4 together and not see the obvious flaws everyone else sees is remarkable. Everyone knows the way the game is played changes from the regular season to the playoffs. Getting rid of Marner and reworking their powerplay/penalty kill is a bare minimum.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,950

Post#1165 » by Anticon » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:36 am

I don't know much about hockey. But it always seemed to me you needed some physical presence to win in the NHL. Don't think these guys have it compared to the teams they're always up against.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,747

Post#1166 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:At what point do Shanahan and Shapiro get fired? They've been running the Leafs and Jays into the ground for a decade now.

I'm with you. I refuse to attend a Jays game out of my own freewill. They are the least entertaining product I've seen in a while.

Leafs wise, how they can keep the core 4 together and not see the obvious flaws everyone else sees is remarkable. Everyone knows the way the game is played changes from the regular season to the playoffs. Getting rid of Marner and reworking their powerplay/penalty kill is a bare minimum.

Good luck with the Leafs. They are screwed and the fact they handed out no movement clauses to Marner and Matthews along with no trade clauses for Tavares and Nylander is insane not to mention that nearly 62% of their cap sheet is committed to 5 players next year is nuts. Sadly the Leafs are professional hockey's Stockholm Syndrome in the flesh. These idiot fans gave money to Ballard and still had the nerve to support the garbage even when details emerged of the child sex trafficking issues that plagued the team during the 70's and 80's. It's a joke how the fans are tuning into this nonsense. I can't put up with the annoying gambling ads being shoved in my face and I can only imagine how worse it'd be for people with kids and recovering gambling addicts trying to get their life back on track.

The big suits can use these tickets as tax write offs and Rogers will be beaming knowing that the fans will come back for more. It's like slapping someone in the face with a cold wet fish knowing that they won't do anything about it. It's so fitting.

A little side note: Brendan Shanahan had a sexual affair with Craig Janney's wife while they were teammates in St. Louis resulting in Shanahan being traded to Hartford for Chris Pronger while Janney's career ended a few years later due to blood clots. Sadly for Janney, his wife left him for Shanahan and honestly it was a jerk move on the latter's part.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,201

Post#1167 » by MiamiSPX » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:33 pm

C_Money wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
C_Money wrote:They’ll have to do something. You can’t just keep running the same team back every year.

They will run it back, the $$$ keeps pouring in.

The Leafs don’t really have a bandwagon fanbase. The money will pour in even if they’re the worst team in the league.

Oh, I know, I just mean they have a safe and reliable income stream right now. Sold out RS games and a guaranteed 2-3 home playoff dates. Anything above that is just gravy to them.

If they were serious about winning, they would have cleaned house in the FO. It's obvious Shanahan isn't being measured by the team's success in the playoffs. Team valuation keeps rising, games are always sold out, merchandise keeps flying off the shelves, etc. Like WuTang said earlier in this thread, they are about business first, winning hockey games 2nd,. I'm no fan of Masai's recent work but it's insane to me that he is the one whose tenure is constantly questioned, or speculated on, while Shanahan sits there unscathed. It's pretty much factual that one of those gentlemen has done a 100x better job than the other.

I've been following this team since I was 4 and it's pathetically hilarious the grip they have on the city, with absolutely nothing to show for it. It's not unlike the Cubs and Red Sox and their 100+ year droughts.
Public_Enemy101
Pro Prospect
And1: 948

Post#1168 » by Public_Enemy101 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 pm

I agree that the core players are soft but I think that's also because Sheldon Keefe is an awful playoff coach. I look at his lineups and his body language and he literally looks lost all game. You look at Boston's coach and he looks engaged and focused, that rubs off on the team.

Then there's Samsonov....jeeesus man. If your star players aren't motivated or struggling you need an absolute STUD for a goalie. Someone who'll stand on his head in a 0-0 game and make you want to win the f*king game for him. That's Swayman right now.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,251

Post#1169 » by sidsid » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 pm

A good NBA comp: the Leafs have the look of the Phoenix Suns in terms of play style, stars and playoff impact, but all 4 main guys are Bradley Beal (right down to playoff success level).
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,780

Post#1170 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:20 am

VANCOUVER CANUCKS WIN! VANCOUVER CANUCKS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)!: D!
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,754

Post#1171 » by metafisical » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:45 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:VANCOUVER CANUCKS WIN! VANCOUVER CANUCKS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)!: D!

As a fan of all Canadian teams, I'm cheering first and foremost for the Leafs, but also my local Canucks (awesome win today -- I recommend everyone watch highlights of the last 3 mins plus OT), Oilers and Jets.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,780

Post#1172 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 am

EDMONTON OILERS WIN! EDMONTON OILERS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)! :D!
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,984

Post#1173 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:49 am

I'm in the minority that thinks this Leaf team is closer to the kind of team it needs to be to win a title than they have been in the past. They are dealing with poor health at the moment, and some weak depth due to a GM that used too many assets to 'buy grit' at the deadline.

After drafting Marner, Matthews and Nylander they've brought in no one significant through the draft. They haven't been successful in cycling out expensive role players for young cheap talent.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,441

Post#1174 » by Mikistan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:07 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I'm in the minority that thinks this Leaf team is closer to the kind of team it needs to be to win a title than they have been in the past. They are dealing with poor health at the moment, and some weak depth due to a GM that used too many assets to 'buy grit' at the deadline.

After drafting Marner, Matthews and Nylander they've brought in no one significant through the draft. They haven't been successful in cycling out expensive role players for young cheap talent.

Knies?
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,984

Post#1175 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:28 pm

Mikistan wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:I'm in the minority that thinks this Leaf team is closer to the kind of team it needs to be to win a title than they have been in the past. They are dealing with poor health at the moment, and some weak depth due to a GM that used too many assets to 'buy grit' at the deadline.

Knies?

Yes, just one player. Matthews was drafted in 2016. They've had two first round picks make their roster since, and Liljegren is still getting scratched. Sandin was moved to save money.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,361

Post#1176 » by JB7 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:32 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

Knies?

Yes, just one player. Matthews was drafted in 2016. They've had two first round picks make their roster since, and Liljegren is still getting scratched. Sandin was moved to save money.

The Leafs farm system is a product of Dubas’ complete inability to build through the draft. All he drafted was undersized skilled players, many of which have not even seen a minute in the NHL.

It will take awhile to correct almost a decade of incompetent drafting.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,806

Post#1177 » by Lord_Zedd » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm

Meanwhile Vancouver robbed Nashville blind and made out like bandits with a 3rd string goalie lol
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,285

Post#1178 » by Green Backpack » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:30 pm

Hard not to cheer for the Canucks right now. Tough times in Leaf Land and the Jets are really struggling after finishing the season on a hot streak
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#1179 » by LarSiN » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm

Help us EDM + VAN, you're our only hope!
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
Darkseid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,392

Post#1180 » by Darkseid » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:23 pm

I piss on the Leafs and I **** on their fan base.

Joke team.

Return to Toronto Raptors