ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Leafs/NHL Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,620

Re: OT: Leafs/NHL Thread 

Post#1221 » by mdenny » Wed May 1, 2024 3:22 am

Og has been a massive disappointment in these playoffs.

Edit: wrong thread.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,771

Post#1222 » by metafisical » Wed May 1, 2024 3:54 am

Leafs need to step it up in game 6. Aggressive forecheck and throw the puck at the net. Playoffs are where weird bounces happen.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,971

Post#1223 » by wegotthabeet » Wed May 1, 2024 4:09 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:All it takes to win in hockey is a goalie standing on his head. No other position in sports can change the outcome in a comparable way.

Pitcher can come close but they rarely go 9 anymore

Yeah and goalies play the entire game.

Woll stole this one. Why was Samsonov starting over him?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,803

Post#1224 » by Raps in 4 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:14 am

Boston is toast.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#1225 » by GQStylin » Wed May 1, 2024 5:07 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Boston is toast.

Leafs are horrible at home so there's a good chance they'll lose game 6. Game 7 is anyone's game, but Bruins should win considering their history with the Leafs in the playoffs. I'm not saying its impossible for the Leafs to comeback and beat the Bruins, but its very small and I'd be absolutely SHOCKED if they did it. Their offense is nearly non-existent and their powerplay is useless. Can't win in the playoffs when you're barely able to score even 3 goals the last 10+ games that you've played in the postseason.

Hoping that your goalie can steal the next couple of games for you is asking for too much when you can't put the puck in the net.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,247

Post#1226 » by MiamiSPX » Wed May 1, 2024 11:58 am

I thought the Bruins were awful last night, so it's a little concerning that it took OT for us to beat them.

That goal was sweet, and all Tavares. He and Domi were excellent in that game.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,811

Post#1227 » by Lord_Zedd » Wed May 1, 2024 12:30 pm

This is hilarious, literally groundhog day lol.

We all know the Leafs are winning game 6. We just need to prepare the memes for game 7, and the only thing missing from this groundhog day is a Nazem Kadri suspension.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,761

Post#1228 » by And1Skip » Wed May 1, 2024 12:40 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:All it takes to win in hockey is a goalie standing on his head. No other position in sports can change the outcome in a comparable way.

Yeah and goalies play the entire game.

Woll stole this one. Why was Samsonov starting over him?

Woll came back from his high ankle sprain injury late in the season, but there was plenty of time to get his rhythm back but they played Samsanov way too many times. Samsanov wasn't bad during that stretch but everyone knows he's a loose cannon and you'll never know what you're gonna get with him because of his unorthodox style (not good positionally). Didn't help that the few times that Woll did play down the stretch, he played Boston and lost both games. Regardless, I chalk that up to just getting back from injury. Woll is very technically sound goalie with a calm demeanor and that's why you always hear his teammates say they're feel confident when he's in net.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,223

Post#1229 » by MoneyBall » Wed May 1, 2024 1:02 pm

QB is pretty darn close.

You don't see the same goaltender win it all again and again.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,689

Post#1230 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 1, 2024 1:22 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:

I thought the Bruins were awful last night, so it's a little concerning that it took OT for us to beat them.

That goal was sweet, and all Tavares. He and Domi were excellent in that game.

BOS were so bad. But game 6 they will come out flying IMO. Credit leafs for skating/competing and Woll coming up big. 1/16 PP for Leafs is less than pathetic though - they will need to capitalize these next 2 games if they want to win.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,158

Post#1231 » by tecumseh18 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:32 pm

MoneyBall wrote:

QB is pretty darn close.

QB position is the whole ball of wax. You often see hockey teams win a cup without a top-flight goalie. Not so with quarterbacks and Super Bowl teams. As we just saw again this year.

And the Jays are disproving the old cliche about "pitching and defence" being enough to win.
drew1981
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#1232 » by drew1981 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:46 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:

QB is pretty darn close.

QB position is the whole ball of wax. You often see hockey teams win a cup without a top-flight goalie. Not so with quarterbacks and Super Bowl teams. As we just saw again this year.

And the Jays are disproving the old cliche about "pitching and defence" being enough to win.

The Raven's won the Superbowl with Trent Dilfer as their QB. Only reason they won was because their defense was unstoppable
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,398

Post#1233 » by JB7 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:51 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:

QB is pretty darn close.

If it wasn't for the Jays pitching and defense, they would be worse than the 6-24 White Sox, with the way the Jays offence has performed this year, rather than a .500 team that they are now.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,285

Post#1234 » by Green Backpack » Wed May 1, 2024 3:29 pm

The Leafs played great last night. It would have been a heartbreaker to lose that game after a bad bounce led to Boston's goal. Toronto outplayed Boston most of the game.

Hope Matthews can play Thursday but I have my doubts. Not much rest between games + travel.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,584

Post#1235 » by bluerap23 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:15 pm

Our only chance is if Woll catches fire. Typical leafs will be to win game 6 and be up a goal in game 7 with a few mins to go then lose in ot
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,537

Post#1236 » by bballsparkin » Thu May 2, 2024 2:50 am

WaltFrazier wrote:

Beat me to it and you said it in less words than I would have. Well done. I took an Anthropology course back in the day and one of the articles we read was in regards to "superstitions in sports". And they said that Goalies and Pitchers were the most superstitious by far of those they analyzed. And they figured that was due to pressure as a goalie or pitcher can make or break a game like few others.

I see folks mentioning QB's and that's true too. I don't remember that article mentioning QB's though.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,971

Post#1237 » by wegotthabeet » Thu May 2, 2024 2:55 am

bballsparkin wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Beat me to it and you said it in less words than I would have. Well done. I took an Anthropology course back in the day and one of the articles we read was in regards to "superstitions in sports". And they said that Goalies and Pitchers were the most superstitious by far of those they analyzed. And they figured that was due to pressure as a goalie or pitcher can make or break a game like few others.

I see folks mentioning QB's and that's true too. I don't remember that article mentioning QB's though.

QB and pitchers only play half the game or one side of the ball offense or defense. Goalies play the whole game even if they’re technically a non factor offensively. Hard to compare anything to goaltending.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,537

Post#1238 » by bballsparkin » Thu May 2, 2024 3:12 am

wegotthabeet wrote:QB and pitchers only play half the game or one side of the ball offense or defense. Goalies play the whole game even if they’re technically a non factor offensively. Hard to compare anything to goaltending.

The research was likely old. Nolan Ryan pitched 222 complete games. Statmuse has 34 CG's pitched last year. I'm surprised it's that high. For sure goalies are the most important position for a game. The stress is similar though. One bad pitch can be a grand slam.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#1239 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu May 2, 2024 5:07 am

EDMONTON OILERS WIN! EDMONTON OILERS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)! :D!
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,771

Post#1240 » by metafisical » Thu May 2, 2024 5:25 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:EDMONTON OILERS WIN! EDMONTON OILERS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)! :D!

One Canadian team in the 2nd round. Time for Vancouver to do their thing on Friday. Hopefully the Leafs can push this to game 7.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.

Return to Toronto Raptors