ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Leafs/NHL Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,694

Re: OT: Leafs/NHL Thread 

Post#1381 » by WuTang_OG » Sun May 5, 2024 3:59 am

Shanny has one year left. He shoulda been out on his ass long ago. If Myrtle leak is true that board wants massive changes if they lose in 1st round, he should be the first one fired. But lets see. He's made them money.

Keefe was a dead man walking. He's a goner without a doubt.

Marner/Tavares gotta go , they got NMC but u gotta ask and re-shape this team and allocated money. What a misfire by Shanny/Dubas with these guys.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,309

Post#1382 » by Tor_Raps » Sun May 5, 2024 4:00 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:Unfortunately for them they're probably stuck with Marner with that no-trade clause. Haven't seen a guy consistently underperform in the playoffs as badly as that guy in any sport (and I've seen DeRozan as a Raptor).

Considering what Marner is in the regular season (top 10 talent before this year), I agree that it's the biggest drop-off in play. Demar has never been recognized as a top 20 player in the nba. The guy just lacks the balls you need in the playoffs to overcome his physical shortcomings.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,956

Post#1383 » by Los_29 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:08 am

I think it’s time for a change of scenery for Marner. Good for both parties. There is a lot to like about this team. But still a couple weak links. I don’t think you can win when one of those weak links is on your top line.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#1384 » by Tor_Raps » Sun May 5, 2024 4:10 am

WuTang_OG wrote:Shanny has one year left. He shoulda been out on his ass long ago. If Myrtle leak is true that board wants massive changes if they lose in 1st round, he should be the first one fired. But lets see. He's made them money.

Marner/Tavares gotta go , they got NMC but u gotta ask and re-shape this team and allocated money. What a misfire by Shanny/Dubas with these guys.

I think they had a great original plan where most thought the Leafs would be perennial cup contenders for years with their core 4. It's the stupidity/stubbornness to not move away from their core 4 after clearly seeing their playoff deficiencies is what should seal their fate.

Tavaras became immovable with his contract and production but Marner should have been out the door to better balance their defense/goaltending a few years ago. The leafs haven't had the goalie advantage in any series since the Cujo/Belfour days and that hasn't been addressed by Leafs management for some reason.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,057

Post#1385 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun May 5, 2024 5:56 am

mdenny wrote:
C_Money wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:How often do you see a pass banked off the end boards like that? Crazy play

My friends say it was on purpose

It's a set play. Every team has a version of it. Marner thought Reilly would pick up Pastrnak. he didn't lol

I've wanted Rielly and Marner both off the team for years.

Rielly still has 6 years left and Marner has a NTC/NMC.

We're cooked.

F*** YOU DUBAS.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 459

Post#1386 » by 6ixpessant » Sun May 5, 2024 6:06 am

One more year of Marner and Tavares unless they waive their NTC's. Tavares may be open to running away from the CRA phone calls.

It doesn't look like Rielly has an NTC, so there's hope there... I guess his cap hit isn't too gross.

Brad takes big swings sometimes and has a full offseason. Big swings don't always work, but the status quo obviously isn't.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,716

Post#1387 » by C_Money » Sun May 5, 2024 6:27 am

6ixpessant wrote:One more year of Marner and Tavares unless they waive their NTC's. Tavares may be open to running away from the CRA phone calls.

It doesn't look like Rielly has an NTC, so there's hope there... I guess his cap hit isn't too gross.

Brad takes big swings sometimes and has a full offseason. Big swings don't always work, but the status quo obviously isn't.

Your GM is sh*t and I was surprised he even got another job. We’ll see how it works out.
6ixpessant
Senior

Post#1388 » by 6ixpessant » Sun May 5, 2024 6:29 am

C_Money wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:One more year of Marner and Tavares unless they waive their NTC's. Tavares may be open to running away from the CRA phone calls.

Your GM is sh*t and I was surprised he even got another job. We’ll see how it works out.

Hey... that could be absolutely true... one rarely knows the behind the scenes stuff that goes on with owners, front office staff, scouting and all that.. there could have been other issues in Calgary... or not. We'll have to see. I hope Calgary fixes things, I hate the Oilers.

I mean, the last Leafs GM was a trainwreck (I will never understand the Tavares signing).

I think what I like most about Brad is he has had some excellent draft classes... less so later on in Calgary. The Easton Cowan pick this past draft was ridiculed by the pundits... but it looks pretty solid.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,223

Post#1389 » by MoneyBall » Sun May 5, 2024 10:06 am

Somehow it makes me feel better to know they would have lost in the second round anyway.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#1390 » by GQStylin » Sun May 5, 2024 10:58 am

6ixpessant wrote:I mean, the last Leafs GM was a trainwreck (I will never understand the Tavares signing).

I think what I like most about Brad is he has had some excellent draft classes... less so later on in Calgary. The Easton Cowan pick this past draft was ridiculed by the pundits... but it looks pretty solid.

Tavares was a free agent star player that wanted to come home to play for the Leafs so not really hard to understand why the Leafs wanted to sign him that would give the team Matthews and Tavares down the middle which on paper looked great. Hard to fault Dubas for going after him under the circumstances when he thought Tavares would provide vet leadership in addition to adding to an already great offense and to be fair many people thought he'd be declining much earlier and yet going into the last year of his contract he's still playing pretty decently and putting up good numbers.

As for the Leafs this series they played pretty well overall outside of game 1 and they did great in shutting down the Bruins offense in games 5, 6 and 7. The only problem is they couldn't score worth a damn themselves the entire series. If they could've scored even somewhat close to what they were doing in the regular season and if their powerplay wasn't UTTER GARBAGE they would've won this series and yet they could barely anything in all 7 games.

It sucks that they got knocked out in the 1st round again and by the Bruins AGAIN. :noway: :noway: :noway: But at least we don't have to see them getting smashed in the 2nd round by the Panthers and now there should be no doubt that they need to make some big changes from the top down. There's absolutely NO EXCUSES not to after this playoffs when your 40+ million top plays can barely score. Keefe and his assistants need to go. Shanny should go. Marner and Rielly should go so that we can have room to sign some better players. Samsonov shouldn't come back.

If the Leafs don't make some big changes this offseason then this organization is truly hopeless. In the past I was OK with giving the core another chance or two to step up and bring it in the playoffs. They've had their chances and they didn't step up and now its time to shake things up big time.
6ixpessant
Senior

Post#1391 » by 6ixpessant » Sun May 5, 2024 11:42 am

The "vet leadership" thing is fine, but I'm not sure an 11mil cap hit for a guy that won a single playoff series in 9 years is a good resume for such a role. So I will still never understand it! Good player, but......

I suspect Pelley will be busy this week with "thank you for your hard work and your time in Toronto" quotes.

10 years is long enough for Shanny....

Reilly isn't NTC'd... so here's hoping!

Riding out another year of Marner and Tavares could be annoying.

I did eat some tasty crow over Nylander over the last year..... so what the heck do I know? :D
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,694

Post#1392 » by WuTang_OG » Sun May 5, 2024 12:01 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Shanny has one year left. He shoulda been out on his ass long ago. If Myrtle leak is true that board wants massive changes if they lose in 1st round, he should be the first one fired. But lets see. He's made them money.

I think they had a great original plan where most thought the Leafs would be perennial cup contenders for years with their core 4. It's the stupidity/stubbornness to not move away from their core 4 after clearly seeing their playoff deficiencies is what should seal their fate.

Tavaras became immovable with his contract and production but Marner should have been out the door to better balance their defense/goaltending a few years ago. The leafs haven't had the goalie advantage in any series since the Cujo/Belfour days and that hasn't been addressed by Leafs management for some reason.

I never liked paying 4 guys half the cap. Its a hard cap. Too hard to make work. Plus they get shut down in playoffs they arent colorado its a total waste. Cant win without goalie and defense. They neglected for years
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,995

Post#1393 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun May 5, 2024 1:18 pm

6ixpessant wrote:The "vet leadership" thing is fine, but I'm not sure an 11mil cap hit for a guy that won a single playoff series in 9 years is a good resume for such a role. So I will still never understand it! Good player, but......

I suspect Pelley will be busy this week with "thank you for your hard work and your time in Toronto" quotes.

I did eat some tasty crow over Nylander over the last year..... so what the heck do I know? :D

The same people that went after Nylander for most of the decade are just switching to Marner. These guys are fine. Marner was playing with a high ankle sprain and falling over all series on simple turns. There was extreme bad health luck in this first round. Like, Woll getting hurt with 0 seconds left on the clock is at a curse-level of bad luck.

For the first time in this era they actually played like a playoff team, because they were built like a playoff team.

This off-season the only tough decisions should be on what to pay (or not pay) Bertuzzi and Domi.
6ixpessant
Senior

Post#1394 » by 6ixpessant » Sun May 5, 2024 1:43 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:The "vet leadership" thing is fine, but I'm not sure an 11mil cap hit for a guy that won a single playoff series in 9 years is a good resume for such a role. So I will still never understand it! Good player, but......

The same people that went after Nylander for most of the decade are just switching to Marner. These guys are fine. Marner was playing with a high ankle sprain and falling over all series on simple turns. There was extreme bad health luck in this first round. Like, Woll getting hurt with 0 seconds left on the clock is at a curse-level of bad luck.

For the first time in this era they actually played like a playoff team, because they were built like a playoff team.

This off-season the only tough decisions should be on what to pay (or not pay) Bertuzzi and Domi.

No, Marner at times is a complete and utter moron and lazy on the ice (check the lowlights throughout this series), you don't see that with Nylander. One guy matured this year, the other one? :nonono:
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#1395 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun May 5, 2024 2:11 pm

6ixpessant wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

No, Marner at times is a complete and utter moron and lazy on the ice (check the lowlights throughout this series), you don't see that with Nylander. One guy matured this year, the other one? :nonono:

Meh, he still ended up being a +1 on the series as a guy who takes primary shifts killing penalties. People are mad at his scoring output being way off his regular season level. Big picture is guys like Marner don't grow on trees and he did appear to be playing hurt.

Meanwhile our 11 million dollar captain scored 2 points all series 100% healthy. There's one clear target for salary bloat.
6ixpessant
Senior

Post#1396 » by 6ixpessant » Sun May 5, 2024 2:45 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

Meh, he still ended up being a +1 on the series as a guy who takes primary shifts killing penalties. People are mad at his scoring output being way off his regular season level. Big picture is guys like Marner don't grow on trees and he did appear to be playing hurt.

Meanwhile our 11 million dollar captain scored 2 points all series 100% healthy. There's one clear target for salary bloat.

There's always been an excuse for Mitch... but the film doesn't lie... especially not in this series. I'm not even talking about the final goal.... I'm not sure Mitch knew he was even there.... one can debate if he should have.

Buy out Tavares.. just send him on his way.
Public_Enemy101
Pro Prospect
And1: 950

Post#1397 » by Public_Enemy101 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:05 pm

Knies, Bertuzzi, Domi, Matthews, Nylander Woll are an excellent core going forward. The rest should be expendable.

If you can get some big tough enforcers you might have a proper contender but right now the team is just too small and too soft. What immediately popped out to me in this series was how big and mean the bruins looked. They practically dwarfed the leafs.

Also, Keefe is such a bad coach. Get someone better.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#1398 » by Tor_Raps » Sun May 5, 2024 5:27 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

I never liked paying 4 guys half the cap. Its a hard cap. Too hard to make work. Plus they get shut down in playoffs they arent colorado its a total waste. Cant win without goalie and defense. They neglected for years

Ya they should have tried to move off this core like 3 years ago once everyone realized the type of players they were in the playoffs. It doesn't matter what your other pieces do when the players who play majority of the minutes choke.

Perfect world, they keep everyone but trade Tavares and Marner for whatever they can get. Reallocate that towards a #1 defenseman and a true #1 goalie. Let's see what they do this offseason.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,122

Post#1399 » by Potential » Sun May 5, 2024 5:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#1400 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun May 5, 2024 5:48 pm

Public_Enemy101 wrote:Knies, Bertuzzi, Domi, Matthews, Nylander Woll are an excellent core going forward. The rest should be expendable.

If you can get some big tough enforcers you might have a proper contender but right now the team is just too small and too soft. What immediately popped out to me in this series was how big and mean the bruins looked. They practically dwarfed the leafs.

Also, Keefe is such a bad coach. Get someone better.

There's some smaller guys that kind of played themselves out of the series, like Robertson and Dewar. But overall I didn't think the Bruins size advantage was much help. They have a lot of unskilled big guys, and so it was easy for the Leafs' Dcore to win puck battles and break up the cycle. This forced the Bruins into a counterpunch game that didn't favour them, since Pasternak is really the only serious threat in the open ice (Marchand definitely chipped in early in the series).

I really only thought Robertson was struggling due to the lack of space, and he played himself out of the series. Domi was threatening all series. So was Nylander. Marner... maybe. Adding more guys with size that can hit and score, like McMann, to go along with Kneis development should be enough.

Return to Toronto Raptors