ImageImageImageImageImage

Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,022

Re: Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect 

Post#921 » by Duffman100 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:12 pm

OG was never getting a Donovan Mitchell return, that's ridiculous. I think the headline, unconfirmed, was "Raptors pursuing Donovan Mitchell-esque return" which was then promptly mocked and questioned by all.

I love OG but that was never going to happen.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,734

Post#922 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 1, 2024 2:15 pm

Duffman100 wrote:OG was never getting a Donovan Mitchell return, that's ridiculous. I think the headline, unconfirmed, was "Raptors pursuing Donovan Mitchell-esque return" which was then promptly mocked and questioned by all.

Can't believe Masai turned down such an amazing concrete offer for OG.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10064799-nba-trade-rumors-raptors-seeking-donovan-mitchell-like-package-for-og-anunoby
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,786

Post#923 » by Pointgod » Wed May 1, 2024 2:16 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
OG? Like all "assets", how long to hold it depends on a whole bunch of other factors.

There was talk of OG getting a Donovan Mitchell like return last season so yeah we could have gotten more for him if we traded him earlier but that doesn’t mean we didn’t get a good return for him despite the circumstances.

Lol, there was talk? There's talk of a whole lot of things apparently.

Again laugh all you want but OG’s value was much higher around the league last season when he has a year and half left on his contract and wasn’t on a sub .500 team and playing inconsistently. Pretty common sense man.

The only thing that changed between the time of the quote below and when OG got traded was that he was going into the last year of his contract and he looked uninspired out on the court. Unless all of a sudden Zach Lowe isn’t a reliable NBA reporter because it goes against the narrative that Masai is infallible in every decision he makes.

"The entire league wants O.G. Anunoby," Zach Lowe said on his podcast. "Everybody wants O.G. Anunoby. If he ever gets traded, the price and picks are going to surprise people because it might be on par almost with what the Cavs gave up for Donovan Mitchell. It's going to be a lot if it ever happens.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-could-receive-donovan-mitchell-type-package-for-og-anunoby
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#924 » by Duffman100 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:17 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:OG was never getting a Donovan Mitchell return, that's ridiculous. I think the headline, unconfirmed, was "Raptors pursuing Donovan Mitchell-esque return" which was then promptly mocked and questioned by all.

Can't believe Masai turned down such an amazing concrete offer for OG.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10064799-nba-trade-rumors-raptors-seeking-donovan-mitchell-like-package-for-og-anunoby

Ooops, I said 'esque' but it was Donovan Mitchell-like. My bad.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#925 » by Pointgod » Wed May 1, 2024 2:18 pm

I posted the quote verbatim. This was from a reliable NBA reporter Zach Lowe.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,734

Post#926 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 1, 2024 2:20 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Cool, and the quotes in the Mannix reaggregation were all "yeah they aren't getting that".

While Anunoby is only 25 and an excellent two-way wing (16.9 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 2.1 SPG), he's never been an All-Star or the top offensive option for a team. Mitchell, 26, has already been a four-time All-Star and is averaging an elite 28.3 points per game in the postseason during his young career.

In other words, it's hard to imagine the Raptors getting a Mitchell-level package for Anunoby if that's what they are truly holding out for

If the Raptors really are looking for a Mitchell-level package for Anunoby, he probably isn't going anywhere either.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,946

Post#927 » by Merit » Wed May 1, 2024 2:20 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Happens when you hold onto an asset too long

OG? Like all "assets", how long to hold it depends on a whole bunch of other factors.

OG was always going to get a very good return because of his age and fit - you can plug him into the starting lineup of all 30 teams in the NBA.

Oh please. This reads as petty. He won the OG trade because he definitely was going to anyway, and the only thing he could do was wait too long and screw up the Pascal trade. In other words, Masai can do nothing right.

Your bias is showing.
I believe in Masai.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#928 » by Duffman100 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:21 pm

Pointgod wrote:

because it might be on par almost with what the Cavs gave up for Donovan Mitchell

Zack Lowe is reliable, but this is still very loose. It MIGHT. Nobody believed this at the time. Even the biggest supporters of OG.

Mitchell is a top 20 player, a guy that can drop 30,40 any given night. It was never going to be the same package.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,190

Post#929 » by HiJiNX » Wed May 1, 2024 2:23 pm

A lot of guys learn to shoot in the NBA. A lot of guys don’t.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#930 » by Duffman100 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:24 pm

HiJiNX wrote:A lot of guys learn to shoot in the NBA. A lot of guys don’t.

100%. Which is why, gasp, we should probably just be patient and see how things play out.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,946

Post#931 » by Merit » Wed May 1, 2024 2:26 pm

And if just one hits and turns from Ochai into Herb Jones, it’s the best contract in the league. It’s worth a shot with one of the best player development organizations.
I believe in Masai.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,945

Post#932 » by Los_29 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:28 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Happens when you hold onto an asset too long

There was talk of OG getting a Donovan Mitchell like return last season so yeah we could have gotten more for him if we traded him earlier but that doesn’t mean we didn’t get a good return for him despite the circumstances.

Don’t believe everything you hear. Thinking we could’ve got a Donovan Mitchell like return is absurd.

We know what was offered last year. It was worse than what was offered this year. Masai did exceptionally well.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#933 » by Duffman100 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:28 pm

Merit wrote:

And if just one hits and turns from Ochai into Herb Jones, it’s the best contract in the league. It’s worth a shot with one of the best player development organizations.

Which is the point. This is how you find gems. You buy low on players who have shown progression and improvement who are coming off of a down year.

Ochai wouldn't be available if he didn't have his down year and if he was, he would have cost a lot more. So you buy low, see what happens and see if you can leverage the talent that is there.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,241

Post#934 » by MiamiSPX » Wed May 1, 2024 2:29 pm

I'm as down on our FO as the next guy but the OG trade was a home run. We came to discover that he was going to find his way to NY no matter what, so the fact we landed 2 young starters is incredible.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,314

Post#935 » by brownbobcat » Wed May 1, 2024 3:34 pm

Merit wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

OG was always going to get a very good return because of his age and fit - you can plug him into the starting lineup of all 30 teams in the NBA.

Oh please. This reads as petty. He won the OG trade because he definitely was going to anyway, and the only thing he could do was wait too long and screw up the Pascal trade. In other words, Masai can do nothing right.

Your bias is showing.

Huh? Quit projecting.

Masai did a good job with the OG trade.
OG was the more tradeable player.
Masai did not do a good job with the Siakam trade.

All of those things can be true.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,716

Post#936 » by binjumper » Wed May 1, 2024 3:37 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:I'm as down on our FO as the next guy but the OG trade was a home run. We came to discover that he was going to find his way to NY no matter what, so the fact we landed 2 young starters is incredible.

yeah kinda weird to be hating on that trade, but the Sad bunch will always be Sad.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,444

Post#937 » by tdotrep2 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:55 pm

We couldn't of hoped for a better return for OG. Siakam on the other hand... disappointing. We and the front office knew the risks of waiting, but at this point it is what it is.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,466

Post#938 » by Scase » Wed May 1, 2024 3:58 pm

Merit wrote:
Scase wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Except, as I showed you earlier in this thread, his shooting improved throughout college and into his first NBA season. So there’s reason to believe last season was an outlier.

Not saying it 100% is an outlier and it could be the norm. But it could be a smart buy.

People complain about us not hitting “on the edges”. This is an exact move that could be us hitting on the edges. You need to see where value might be had.

Complaining about hitting on the fringes is still valid, until he turns out to be anything but a borderline NBA player. Not giving him flowers for making a trade until the player actually shows something. If Ochai turns into a legitimate roster player, I will happily say I was wrong, but until then, nothing changes.

I don’t get the vitriol for a player who’s young, is working towards being a rotation player, is by all accounts a team player and is signed on a rookie scale contract.

Congratulations on stating what you currently see. Give yourself some space to be pleasantly surprised and you might just end up with that experience.

Vitriol? It's basic criticism, he doesn't look NBA quality in his time with the raptors. I'm not saying he's a waste of space and should be waived, he just hasn't looked good at all.

Can the hyperbole.
Props TZ!
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#939 » by Pointgod » Wed May 1, 2024 3:59 pm

Los_29 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Don’t believe everything you hear. Thinking we could’ve got a Donovan Mitchell like return is absurd.

We know what was offered last year. It was worse than what was offered this year. Masai did exceptionally well.

We know what was offered but we also know more could have been negotiated but Masai wasn’t serious about trading him last year. Teams will never give their best offer off the bat. What we agreed to with the Knicks wasn’t their initial offer, but the point is we negotiated to a great deal. We could have gotten the same deal we got last season plus more if we were interested.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,466

Post#940 » by Scase » Wed May 1, 2024 4:01 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Scase wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Except, as I showed you earlier in this thread, his shooting improved throughout college and into his first NBA season. So there’s reason to believe last season was an outlier.

Not saying it 100% is an outlier and it could be the norm. But it could be a smart buy.

People complain about us not hitting “on the edges”. This is an exact move that could be us hitting on the edges. You need to see where value might be had.

Complaining about hitting on the fringes is still valid, until he turns out to be anything but a borderline NBA player. Not giving him flowers for making a trade until the player actually shows something. If Ochai turns into a legitimate roster player, I will happily say I was wrong, but until then, nothing changes.

It's not about giving him flowers for making a trade.

It's about being patient, realizing what the trade is about, that Ochai wouldn't be available for a late 1st if his shot didn't regress in his 2nd year. It's a buy low candidate that could result in a 'he was able to find a gem or solid rotation player somewhere'.

Yes, he could. And so could the absolute deluge of other players we have brought in that have amounted to nothing. As of right now, I don't see the promise, and the track record of the FO the last few years of finding these guys have been bad, so it's safe to assume that based on those two factors, it's unlikely, and that is my current stance.

I will happily adjust it if it changes, but again, saying this is some counter to people complaining about us not hitting on the edges is beyond premature. Yes, he made a trade for a guy that hasn't really looked great, here's hoping it was a good pickup, but the criticism of the FO hasn't that they havent tried getting the fringe players, but rather that none of them have actually worked out. Nothing has changed yet.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors