ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,498

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#221 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:57 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Skybox wrote:Given what they traded, I don't see people lobbing offers...it's a given Masai will match and teams don't like to have their cap money tied up while big targets get signed. I've put IQ completely out of mind since the trade (for ORL)...but that will also keep the cost down a little. The problem for the NYK was matching similar offers for a backup...for TOR, I'd match nearly anything...I think it's closer to 25 per than 35.

Yeah Toronto isn't going to let Quickley go. I'd love $100M/4yrs but ultimately I think it'll be somewhere around $130M/5yrs. The extra year is nice for both parties.

If I'm Quickley I'm not taking a 5 year deal. With the tv deal leaks coming out it looks like the cap is going up 10% a year for the next 4-5 years. If I'm Quickley I want a 3+1 (doubt he gets it) so I can get back out there at age 27 when the cap is going to be $185m+.

On 5/130 deal Quickley ends up making the equivalent of $18m in todays dollar in his final year. I'd imagine he thinks he's worth more than that.

The rising cap should make players think long and hard about locking themselves into 5 year deals.

Meh. Maybe.

Whenever these TV deals are brewing, it's always rumors about cap rising by "X" and then when time comes, it's not quite that.

Still, I do expect a rise. My hope is that Quickley would value the years of guaranteed money instead. But who knows.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,797

Post#222 » by Michael Jordan » Fri May 3, 2024 1:51 am

During the season I predicted the Bucks would lose in the first round but obviously not like this. If they were healthy they might have beat both Pacers and Knicks/Sixers but now we'll never know.

I think they should load up on guards in the summer to limit Lillards minutes and just load manage him.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,797

Post#223 » by ConSarnit » Fri May 3, 2024 3:24 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Yeah Toronto isn't going to let Quickley go. I'd love $100M/4yrs but ultimately I think it'll be somewhere around $130M/5yrs. The extra year is nice for both parties.

If I'm Quickley I'm not taking a 5 year deal. With the tv deal leaks coming out it looks like the cap is going up 10% a year for the next 4-5 years. If I'm Quickley I want a 3+1 (doubt he gets it) so I can get back out there at age 27 when the cap is going to be $185m+.

On 5/130 deal Quickley ends up making the equivalent of $18m in todays dollar in his final year. I'd imagine he thinks he's worth more than that.

The rising cap should make players think long and hard about locking themselves into 5 year deals.

Meh. Maybe.

Whenever these TV deals are brewing, it's always rumors about cap rising by "X" and then when time comes, it's not quite that.

Still, I do expect a rise. My hope is that Quickley would value the years of guaranteed money instead. But who knows.

Not really sure what you’re referring to. The last time the new tv deal happened it cause a huge cap spike of nearly 50% (this is what allowed GSW to sign Durant) in 2016. The average yearly tv deal doubled last time.

Bloomberg is reporting the new deal will be close to $77 billion over 10 years. The current deal was $24b over 9 years.

Now, they are going to cap the raises at 10% per year so that another 2016 situation is avoided but we’re probably looking at 10% cap raises every year until at least 2029.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#224 » by Thaddy » Fri May 3, 2024 4:35 am

Random fact.

Kyshawn George's dad is a Canadian basketball player that played professionally in Switzerland.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Deon-George/429
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 523

Post#225 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 3, 2024 6:51 am

Thaddy wrote:Random fact.

Kyshawn George's dad is a Canadian basketball player that played professionally in Switzerland.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Deon-George/429

Given Boucher is likely gone in the offseason, we could use him to fill out the Canadian quota...

All joking aside, I really like George as a potential Pistons 2nd selection if we land Sarr. He's got a terrific feel for the game.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#226 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun May 5, 2024 2:38 am

Skybox wrote:IQ was my #1 trade target (for ORL) back at the TD...great pickup for TOR, imo. I'm higher on Barrett than most too.

IQ's numbers look pretty solid post-trade, but just checking in on the general satisfaction with IQ and his big incoming payday...any chance TOR would SnT for a largely pick and cap space package? Maybe dump some big salary you're not loving long term?

How about...
TOR sends IQ ($25 x 4) and Poeltl ($20 x 3)....*I'm assuming Poeltl is okay, but maybe some $$ regret(?)
ORL sends Wendell Carter ($11.5 x 2), Anthony Black, frp #18, DEN 25 frp...*Carter is younger, cheaper, shoots 3's and can switch

I don't expect IQ to be available -can't hurt to ask.

Not even close. Quickley>>>>>>>Black and I am being generous with this. Like what is Anthony Black's upside/comparison? I seen a site that said Scottie Barnes plus! I mean I don't know about that. I see him as a big PG who a very raw 3 point shot. Toronto can't afford another non shooter. We don't need Wendal Carter Jr at this price. We have a mid first this year and don't need Denvers late first in 25.

Toronto would start with Suggs at a minimum and go from there
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#227 » by Skybox » Sun May 5, 2024 10:45 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Skybox wrote:IQ was my #1 trade target (for ORL) back at the TD...great pickup for TOR, imo. I'm higher on Barrett than most too.

IQ's numbers look pretty solid post-trade, but just checking in on the general satisfaction with IQ and his big incoming payday...any chance TOR would SnT for a largely pick and cap space package? Maybe dump some big salary you're not loving long term?

How about...
TOR sends IQ ($25 x 4) and Poeltl ($20 x 3)....*I'm assuming Poeltl is okay, but maybe some $$ regret(?)
ORL sends Wendell Carter ($11.5 x 2), Anthony Black, frp #18, DEN 25 frp...*Carter is younger, cheaper, shoots 3's and can switch

Not even close. Quickley>>>>>>>Black and I am being generous with this. Like what is Anthony Black's upside/comparison? I seen a site that said Scottie Barnes plus! I mean I don't know about that. I see him as a big PG who a very raw 3 point shot. Toronto can't afford another non shooter. We don't need Wendal Carter Jr at this price. We have a mid first this year and don't need Denvers late first in 25.

I get it’s a “No” but Suggs is even more out of the question.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#228 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun May 5, 2024 1:39 pm

Skybox wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

How about...

I get it’s a “No” but Suggs is even more out of the question.
Well you want Quickley but are offering Toronto a guard who can't shoot. I get value is there but Black is extremely raw and a bad fit here as a full time PG. Carter Jr again is good but not great, he's a role player who is good at getting a three or two a game abs grabbing some boards. I don't see him as a defensive anchor or long term fit. Toronto should ask for more here and tbh Orlando doesn't have the attractive picks plus young pieces to get it done.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,917

Post#229 » by basketballRob » Sun May 5, 2024 1:40 pm

People are sleeping on Anthony Black. He was one of the younger draft picks last season, I think he was the Magic's 3rd youngest draft pick after Dwight and Aaron Gordon. He shot almost 40% from 3 and played great defense. He's the same exact size as Derozan, but it is really hard to get past him on defense. I think theirs almost 0 chance the Magic trade him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 523

Post#230 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 6, 2024 12:24 am

basketballRob wrote:People are sleeping on Anthony Black. He was one of the younger draft picks last season, I think he was the Magic's 3rd youngest draft pick after Dwight and Aaron Gordon. He shot almost 40% from 3 and played great defense. He's the same exact size as Derozan, but it is really hard to get past him on defense. I think theirs almost 0 chance the Magic trade him.

He shot barely over one 3 a game.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,776

Post#231 » by MessiahUjiri » Mon May 6, 2024 12:49 pm

CazOnReal wrote:
basketballRob wrote:People are sleeping on Anthony Black. He was one of the younger draft picks last season, I think he was the Magic's 3rd youngest draft pick after Dwight and Aaron Gordon. He shot almost 40% from 3 and played great defense. He's the same exact size as Derozan, but it is really hard to get past him on defense. I think theirs almost 0 chance the Magic trade him.

He shot barely over one 3 a game.

:lol: owned by facts.

Although I do agree - Black is a very good prospect. He’s probably closer to a Dyson Daniels type of player than a Scottie Barnes level guy.

The league has a bunch of very interesting jumbo PGs under 25 (Lamelo, Dyson D, Anthony Black, Josh Giddey).

I think the next meta trend is going to be “tall ball PGs” who can see over the defense.

It’s kinda aligned to Masai’s vision 6’9 in a way. I do think Scottie will handle a bunch of PG duties going forward.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 595

Post#232 » by Gavin_TDThree » Mon May 6, 2024 1:05 pm

let's say that SB and RJ come back with ~35% 3pt shot. Draft gods bless us with Sarr

Could this lineup work?

IQ
RJ
SB
AS
JP

Defensively I think we'd be touuuuuuugh. Offensively would hinge on Sarr being to space even a little.

MLE a backup PG and SF

IQ/19th pick PG (collier)
RJ/Dick/Ochai
SB/Ochai/Dick
AS/KO
JP/KO
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#233 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:25 pm

Gavin_TDThree wrote:let's say that SB and RJ come back with ~35% 3pt shot. Draft gods bless us with Sarr

Could this lineup work?

IQ
RJ
SB
AS
JP

Defensively I think we'd be touuuuuuugh. Offensively would hinge on Sarr being to space even a little.

MLE a backup PG and SF

IQ/19th pick PG (collier)
RJ/Dick/Ochai
SB/Ochai/Dick
AS/KO
JP/KO

Dick needs time in the starting 5.

IQ/Monte Morris
RJ/Bruce Brown
Dick/Ochai
Scottie/KO
JP/Zac Edey

Convey or youngest 1-6 Sarr, Richaser, Holland, Reed Sheppard, and last but not least Topic. If we get Topic no Full Monte.

Must re-up Brown. Dick needs to start.

Need another team Canada player in Big Zac at #19 if there.

#31 Kinder surprise Pacome Dadiet. No seniors.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#234 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:30 pm

Except Zac at 22. Who was a senior...
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,262

Post#235 » by TorontoBarneys » Mon May 6, 2024 9:00 pm

Let's sign Paul George to a 1+1 max.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#236 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:38 am

TorontoBarneys wrote:Let's sign Paul George to a 1+1 max.

Philly has 60 mil in committed salary. Paul George heads there is my guess. Ditto Caleb Martin. Derozan? Trent Jr. ? Horton Tucker seems like a Morey player.

Slim pickings for Raptors. Lonnie Walker I could see on the Raptors. I could see us signing Monte Morris. Maybe Jalen Smith.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,675

Post#237 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Tue May 7, 2024 3:42 am

Can't even describe how bad this team would be if we moved IQ for Black

2 shooters on the whole roster for an already horrible 3pt shooting team
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,321

Post#238 » by brownbobcat » Tue May 7, 2024 7:21 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
TorontoBarneys wrote:Let's sign Paul George to a 1+1 max.

Philly has 60 mil in committed salary. Paul George heads there is my guess. Ditto Caleb Martin. Derozan? Trent Jr. ? Horton Tucker seems like a Morey player.

Slim pickings for Raptors. Lonnie Walker I could see on the Raptors. I could see us signing Monte Morris. Maybe Jalen Smith.

With Philly likely clearing a lot of cap, I'd love it if Toronto could somehow pick up De'Anthony Melton for cheap. There's an outside chance Paul Reed becomes a FA too, but they create enough space without waiving him. Wishful thinking though, this FO seldom gets bargains.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,498

Post#239 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:42 pm

Last thing we should be worrying about right now is paying the max to a 34 year old broken down star.

Let's get through the draft first. Once that happens, we'll have a clearer picture of what we should be doing. If we keep our pick, we draft a wing and surround the team with veterans. If we don't keep the pick, we gotta fill that SF position.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,266

Post#240 » by MiamiSPX » Tue May 7, 2024 12:50 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:Last thing we should be worrying about right now is paying the max to a 34 year old broken down star.

Clips fans know it's no coincidence that Kawhi and PG played their most games as Clippers this season, and it just happened to be their extension-eligible years. Kawhi already hoodwinked them bigtime. I feel sorry for whoever pays up for PG. He already has a reputation as a guy who plays when he feels like it, and it will just be worse if he goes somewhere he doesn't really care for (but went there for the $$$$).

Return to Toronto Raptors