ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#241 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 7, 2024 1:15 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:Last thing we should be worrying about right now is paying the max to a 34 year old broken down star.

Clips fans know it's no coincidence that Kawhi and PG played their most games as Clippers this season, and it just happened to be their extension-eligible years. Kawhi already hoodwinked them bigtime. I feel sorry for whoever pays up for PG. He already has a reputation as a guy who plays when he feels like it, and it will just be worse if he goes somewhere he doesn't really care for (but went there for the $$$$).

PG knows a desperate team like PHI will max him, so he can just wait it out.

Embiid+PG on the same team...they better have a hospital near by.
RaptorLakerJay
Senior
And1: 274

Post#242 » by RaptorLakerJay » Tue May 7, 2024 2:42 pm

See how important McDaniels is to the Wolves? They offered him 131/5 and everyone was flaming Wolves front office but now everyone is understanding how important he is to the team.

I'd offer Patrick Williams the exact same contract. Elite 3 point shooter and elite defender. Fits well with our core.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,502

Post#243 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:56 pm

RaptorLakerJay wrote:See how important McDaniels is to the Wolves? They offered him 131/5 and everyone was flaming Wolves front office but now everyone is understanding how important he is to the team.

I'd offer Patrick Williams the exact same contract. Elite 3 point shooter and elite defender. Fits well with our core.

McDaniels is overpaid. Sure he's important to the team but the story of the Wolves isn't finished yet. Win or lose, when this season is over, they're going to have to take a serious look at their books. They're not going to be able to afford McDaniels, Gobert, Ant and KAT as well as support players.

No doubt he's important to the team but that's a LOT of money to be paying to a role player.

Most I'd be willing to do for Patrick Williams is $80ish/4yrs. We still gotta pay Quickley & Barnes too.
RaptorLakerJay
Senior
And1: 274

Post#244 » by RaptorLakerJay » Tue May 7, 2024 3:05 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
RaptorLakerJay wrote:See how important McDaniels is to the Wolves? They offered him 131/5 and everyone was flaming Wolves front office but now everyone is understanding how important he is to the team.

McDaniels is overpaid. Sure he's important to the team but the story of the Wolves isn't finished yet. Win or lose, when this season is over, they're going to have to take a serious look at their books. They're not going to be able to afford McDaniels, Gobert, Ant and KAT as well as support players.

No doubt he's important to the team but that's a LOT of money to be paying to a role player.

Most I'd be willing to do for Patrick Williams is $80ish/4yrs. We still gotta pay Quickley & Barnes too.

All those guys you mentioned are on contract for the Wolves until 2026. When Rudy's contract expires, he obviously won't continue to get $45m so I think they'll be fine and find a way to balance it out.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,323

Post#245 » by brownbobcat » Tue May 7, 2024 6:47 pm

RaptorLakerJay wrote:All those guys you mentioned are on contract for the Wolves until 2026. When Rudy's contract expires, he obviously won't continue to get $45m so I think they'll be fine and find a way to balance it out.

The problem for Minnesota comes up before then, though. Those 4 guys alone put them over the cap for the next 2 years and the question is whether they're willing to be a luxury tax team - especially with the owners fighting amongst themselves. Now, it's certainly going to be a much easier sell if they make it deep into the playoffs.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

Post#246 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 7, 2024 6:53 pm

Naz Reid can opt out after next season and he will. He will likely get double what he's owed next year, which is about 14/15 mill on his next deal.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#247 » by CazOnReal » Tue May 7, 2024 9:26 pm

That is some serious overrating of P-Will as a defender. He's shown flashes but lacks any sort of consistency on that end.

And as a shooter. He's very streaky.

The only reason I would consider him is because all of the Bulls young guys aside from White have broken out after being traded (Wendell, Lauri). But even then, he's an RFA so the Bulls can simply match him.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#248 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 8, 2024 6:27 pm

IF we convey the pick to the Spurs and are looking to tank next year, I wonder if we could swing something like:

Raptors - Duren, Lonzo
Pels - Poeltl, #11 (CHI), Bruce Brown
Pistons - Ingram
Bulls - #21 (NOP),

Bulls save 20M for moving down 10 spots in a bad draft so they can pay DeMar and Pat Williams and still use the MLE and stay under the tax.

Pels move up 10 spots, stay under the tax and get a starting center who is an upgrade on D and Bruce Brown for a team of:

Poeltl-Nance
Zion-Herb
Herb-Brown
Murphy-Hawkins
McCollum-Daniels

and maybe they even move #11 with McCollum and future picks for a true PG, or they trade up into Dillingham or Sheppard range to get a shooter at PG.

Pistons get Ingram for Duren.

Raptors get younger at center, Lonzo expires in a year and Duren is still so young and raw that we're tanking hard but with some exciting young players and drafting a nice SG next year for Quickley-SG-Barrett-Barnes-Duren with Olynyk, Dick, #19, Agbaji and a couple of 2026 firsts giving us a cheap and young bench outside of Olynyk.
Where's the D?
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 505

Post#249 » by bobbyp3588 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:38 pm

Ell Curry wrote:IF we convey the pick to the Spurs and are looking to tank next year, I wonder if we could swing something like:

Raptors - Duren, Lonzo
Pistons - Ingram
Bulls - #21 (NOP),

Bulls save 20M for moving down 10 spots in a bad draft so they can pay DeMar and Pat Williams and still use the MLE and stay under the tax.

Pels move up 10 spots, stay under the tax and get a starting center who is an upgrade on D and Bruce Brown for a team of:

Poeltl-Nance
Zion-Herb
Herb-Brown
Murphy-Hawkins
McCollum-Daniels

and maybe they even move #11 with McCollum and future picks for a true PG, or they trade up into Dillingham or Sheppard range to get a shooter at PG.

Raptors get younger at center, Lonzo expires in a year and Duren is still so young and raw that we're tanking hard but with some exciting young players and drafting a nice SG next year for Quickley-SG-Barrett-Barnes-Duren with Olynyk, Dick, #19, Agbaji and a couple of 2026 firsts giving us a cheap and young bench outside of Olynyk.

Under absolutely no circumstances will we set out to tank next year.

We needed Scottie to miss half the season with a bone break, Yak to miss months and RJ and IQ to miss extended time for personal reasons to barely finish 6th worst.

A healthy and present BBQ, with Yak, Gradey, Kelly, and Ochai and I think their floor will be a play-in team. I don’t know how you convince a group of talented young guys to not try their hardest. Tbh, why would you want to ingrain losing habits, anyway. Or perpetuate the idea to Scottie that we’re a losing franchise. Tanking is a bad idea normally. Wanting the 24-25 Raptors to tank is plain nuts.

Hopefully we keep our pick this year and convey our late lotto or later pick next year.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,699

Post#250 » by Psubs » Wed May 8, 2024 8:48 pm

Ell Curry wrote:IF we convey the pick to the Spurs and are looking to tank next year, I wonder if we could swing something like:

Raptors - Duren, Lonzo
Pistons - Ingram
Bulls - #21 (NOP),

Poeltl-Nance
Zion-Herb
Herb-Brown
Murphy-Hawkins
McCollum-Daniels

Detroit is not trading Duren. Stewart and Ausur Thompson (waive physical) maybe.

Stewart, Shake Milton and 2025 2nd pick (Det) for Ingram (expiring)
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,400

Post#251 » by JB7 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:10 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
RaptorLakerJay wrote:All those guys you mentioned are on contract for the Wolves until 2026. When Rudy's contract expires, he obviously won't continue to get $45m so I think they'll be fine and find a way to balance it out.

The problem for Minnesota comes up before then, though. Those 4 guys alone put them over the cap for the next 2 years and the question is whether they're willing to be a luxury tax team - especially with the owners fighting amongst themselves. Now, it's certainly going to be a much easier sell if they make it deep into the playoffs.

Would not be shocked to see KAT dealt to the Knicks, for Randle, whose contract is $20M less than KAT's next season.

Naz can decently replace the loss of KAT.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,659

Post#252 » by Red_Claw » Thu May 9, 2024 11:35 am

Gotta go BPA at the top 6 pick. Sarr would be a god send...

But for 19, im settled on Tristan Da silva. Just a hardworking, do it all, winning player like Miami's Jaime Jaquez Jr.

At 31, I think it will depend on who we get with the top 6 pick. If somehow we get Sarr, we look for a wing. If we get a wing with top 6, we look at Edey or another big man. I like the idea of a Melvin Ajinca pick to stash in the 905.

Quickley/ ? / Liberty-Freeman
? / Dick / Temple
RJ / ? / Ochai
Scottie / Da Silva / Nwora
Poeltl / Olynyk / ?

Available players:
Bruce Brown
Chris Boucher
Jalen McDaniels

On paper, Bruce brown should be a great option for starting SG but i think hes in win now mode since being on Denver and Indy and isint interested in a developing team. His 3pt shot is terrible as well. Same goes for Ochai whos getting his chance to show off and isin't producing much.

Does Lowry come back for his final couple years to split back up PG time with Liberty Freeman?

Need to see Gradey play 6th man roll on a competing team before i slot him in the starting slot.

Gary Trent. Shoud be starting SG material but only seems to look for his shot and is too inconsistent. Need to move on unless he's ready to come back for significantly less.

Fill in the roster gaps, add good off season together, and a better Scottie Barnes and we can compete next year for a playoff spot which needs to be the goal.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 595

Post#253 » by Gavin_TDThree » Thu May 9, 2024 12:29 pm

alright hear me out

Poelt + something to Memphis for the 7th pick + filler - Draft Clingan

BB to OKC for 11th - draft Collier

Raps 6th pick - draft holland

IQ/Collier
RJ/Dick
Holland
Barnes
Clingan

We win like 20-25 games, keep our top 6 pick next year as well.

Draft Tre Johnson

Profit
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,659

Post#254 » by Red_Claw » Thu May 9, 2024 12:58 pm

Milwaukee may want to shake things up.

Bruce Brown + Chris Boucher + Least favorable of 2026 FRP
For
Kris Middleton

gives Milwaukee cap flexibility after this season without losing much talent.

Quickley/Lowry
Middleton/Dick
RJ/ Ochai
Scottie/ 19th pick
Poeltl/ Olynyk

Pray for Sarr at top 6. Make Poeltl or Olynyk available.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#255 » by Psubs » Thu May 9, 2024 2:50 pm

JB7 wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

Would not be shocked to see KAT dealt to the Knicks, for Randle, whose contract is $20M less than KAT's next season.

Naz can decently replace the loss of KAT.

They should fill the C position with free agents.

Randle, and a few 1st picks for Mikal Bridges makes more sense.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#256 » by Psubs » Thu May 9, 2024 2:53 pm

I wanna throw Trent's money at Obi Toppin. I feel like he's on the rise entering his prime years. 4 year deal for his 27-30 age years, I would give him $20 million per year. I don't think Indiana could match to have him coming off the bench. Raptors could have him as an eventual Boucher replacement.

PG IQ - Barnes - Carrington/JFL
SG Dick - Barrett - Carrington
SF Barrett - Holland - Agbaji
PF Barnes - Toppin - Boucher
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Chomche
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,896

Post#257 » by Thaddy » Thu May 9, 2024 3:03 pm

Psubs wrote:I wanna throw Trent's money at Obi Toppin. I feel like he's on the rise entering his prime years. 4 year deal for his 27-30 age years, I would give him $20 million per year. I don't think Indiana could match to have him coming off the bench. Raptors could have him as an eventual Boucher replacement.

I don't buy the shooting. I would rather gamble for a younger player (20-23) that can contribute a bit now and then really produce when we're ready to meaningfully compete.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#258 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:06 pm

Psubs wrote:

Raptors - Duren, Lonzo
Pistons - Ingram
Bulls - #21 (NOP),

Poeltl-Nance
Zion-Herb
Herb-Brown
Murphy-Hawkins
McCollum-Daniels

Detroit is not trading Duren. Stewart and Ausur Thompson (waive physical) maybe.

Stewart, Shake Milton and 2025 2nd pick (Det) for Ingram (expiring)

Ain't no way the Pels are giving up Ingram for this cheap platter. He's their best trade chip and they desperately need a PG...my money is on Ingram ending up in ATL for Murray or Young. Both of these deals isn't enough for Ingram IMO.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#259 » by Psubs » Thu May 9, 2024 3:06 pm

Thaddy wrote:
Psubs wrote:I wanna throw Trent's money at Obi Toppin. I feel like he's on the rise entering his prime years. 4 year deal for his 27-30 age years, I would give him $20 million per year. I don't think Indiana could match to have him coming off the bench. Raptors could have him as an eventual Boucher replacement.

I don't buy the shooting. I would rather gamble for a younger player (20-23) that can contribute a bit now and then really produce when we're ready to meaningfully compete.

Patrick Williams then? He's consistently shown the shooting but just seems to glide through games with no gravity. I guess fine off the bench to continually fight for minutes.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#260 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:09 pm

$20M per for a bench big to back up our star? Why not just throw the MLE at Jalen Smith? Why not throw that same money at Williams who could fill a need in the starting lineup?

I'm sorry man but that's a huge waste of money.

Return to Toronto Raptors