ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,797

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#161 » by Michael Jordan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:44 am

This feels like the worst off-season in recent memory because all the main guys are expected to re-sign, and nobodies a top 10 player.

Klay, Paul George, Demar, Siakam, Harden, OG, and Monk...

Raptors would be lucky to pickup a decent role player.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 255

Post#162 » by Consequence » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:25 am

Assuming that they could both be signed for the same contract, who would you rather sign: Naji Marshall or Caleb Martin?
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,310

Post#163 » by Kordic27 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:
JB7 wrote:If the Raps end up with a top 4 pick in this draft, would you trade it along with contract filler (BB & resigned GTJ) to the Suns for KD?

I'm not suggesting any of the Raps core be traded (i.e. BBQ, Yak or Dick).

Naw - he's wrecked too many teams for it to not be at least partially his fault. And it doesn't get us much beyond what? 5th or 6th place, first round exit?

It would be short sighted for sure, but if you can get KD for a top 4 pick and salary filler I think you almost have to do it. His contract comes of the books the year Barnes needs an extension, and the fit of KD with our main guys right now would be seemleess. IT makes more sense to me to grab KD now than it did 2 summers ago.

IQ/RJ/Barnes/KD/Poeltl is a pretty damn good team that has shooting, defense, size, and playmaking. Reality is - no way you get KD for only top pick and salary filler however.

KD has not wrecked any teams. Brooklyn brought together 3 offense first players are were surprised it did not work out. Phoenix then did the exact same thing with lesse versions of the Brooklyn team.

When is the last time KD played on a team that had actual defensive pieces around him? Probably in Golden State.

I see what you’re saying, but KD is older, more injury prone, declining, and frequently unhappy with his team (he may not have wrecked them, but THE MAIN MAN on a disappointing team has to take some responsibility). And what’s the team’s ceiling with him?

Also, selfishly, I don’t think I’d love cheering for him.
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,158

Post#164 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:43 am

Nah, the target with a top 4 pick would be Mikal Bridges. Nets were stupid to refuse the Rockets offer, but they should be wiser now.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,311

Post#165 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 am

MoneyBall wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:
Naw - he's wrecked too many teams for it to not be at least partially his fault. And it doesn't get us much beyond what? 5th or 6th place, first round exit?

It would be short sighted for sure, but if you can get KD for a top 4 pick and salary filler I think you almost have to do it. His contract comes of the books the year Barnes needs an extension, and the fit of KD with our main guys right now would be seemleess. IT makes more sense to me to grab KD now than it did 2 summers ago.

IQ/RJ/Barnes/KD/Poeltl is a pretty damn good team that has shooting, defense, size, and playmaking. Reality is - no way you get KD for only top pick and salary filler however.

KD has not wrecked any teams. Brooklyn brought together 3 offense first players are were surprised it did not work out. Phoenix then did the exact same thing with lesse versions of the Brooklyn team.

When is the last time KD played on a team that had actual defensive pieces around him? Probably in Golden State.

You'd trade Sarr for KD?

I mean yeah - he isn’t some can’t miss Wemby level prospect.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#166 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:17 am

Kordic27 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:

I see what you’re saying, but KD is older, more injury prone, declining, and frequently unhappy with his team (he may not have wrecked them, but THE MAIN MAN on a disappointing team has to take some responsibility). And what’s the team’s ceiling with him?

Also, selfishly, I don’t think I’d love cheering for him.

If you grab KD you obviously go all in. You’d likely trade everything to he as good as possible over the next 2-3 years.

And then if it blows up you’re in absolute purgatory.

I don’t know if I’d do it the more I think - but you’re never gonna find a better running mate than KD.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 516

Post#167 » by CazOnReal » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:04 am

Consequence wrote:Assuming that they could both be signed for the same contract, who would you rather sign: Naji Marshall or Caleb Martin?

Neither?
tecumseh18 wrote:Nah, the target with a top 4 pick would be Mikal Bridges. Nets were stupid to refuse the Rockets offer, but they should be wiser now.

It's the Nets.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,860

Post#168 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 am

tecumseh18 wrote:Nah, the target with a top 4 pick would be Mikal Bridges. Nets were stupid to refuse the Rockets offer, but they should be wiser now.

Nets are going to set themselves up to be free agent players next summer

They will have anywhere between $65-85m in cap space spending on Cam Thomas and Sharpe.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,761

Post#169 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:52 am

Michael Jordan wrote:This feels like the worst off-season in recent memory because all the main guys are expected to re-sign, and nobodies a top 10 player.

This is basically every offseason now. Most of the big names sign big extensions with their existing teams and then if they don't like their situations later, they just force a trade.

NBA basically has a transfer portal now so if you want to acquire a big star, you need to trade for him.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#170 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Michael Jordan wrote:This feels like the worst off-season in recent memory because all the main guys are expected to re-sign, and nobodies a top 10 player.

This is basically every offseason now. Most of the big names sign big extensions with their existing teams and then if they don't like their situations later, they just force a trade.

NBA basically has a transfer portal now so if you want to acquire a big star, you need to trade for him.

which is why the accumulation of assets right now is critical for Toronto.

Assets = depth + trade chips
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,223

Post#171 » by MoneyBall » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:34 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:It would be short sighted for sure, but if you can get KD for a top 4 pick and salary filler I think you almost have to do it. His contract comes of the books the year Barnes needs an extension, and the fit of KD with our main guys right now would be seemleess. IT makes more sense to me to grab KD now than it did 2 summers ago.

You'd trade Sarr for KD?

A 36 year old KD isn't a can't miss level star either. I'm flabbergasted that you'd give up the #1 pick overall for him. We have zero shot at winning anything.

On the other hand, Sarr gives you the chance to build a solid foundation next to Scottie and Quickley for years to come.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,055

Post#172 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:15 pm

Come on Lakers, give us Christie this summer. You don't need him.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 592

Post#173 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:19 pm

Does anyone know for certain whether we are able to trade Bruce Brown before free agency without picking up his option?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#174 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:35 pm

grant101 wrote:Does anyone know for certain whether we are able to trade Bruce Brown before free agency without picking up his option?

To trade him you need to pick up his option.

Can't trade him otherwise.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#175 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:48 pm

MoneyBall wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:You'd trade Sarr for KD?

A 36 year old KD isn't a can't miss level star either. I'm flabbergasted that you'd give up the #1 pick overall for him. We have zero shot at winning anything.

On the other hand, Sarr gives you the chance to build a solid foundation next to Scottie and Quickley for years to come.

Sarr also has the chance to completely bust or be a mediocre player and leave you in purgatory. There is a reason why people are down on this class, and it is because the top end is pretty big question marks. The draft is already an eduacated guess, and this year that guess is even murkier.

KD is a cant miss star - what the ****? His biggest concern is injuries... but 27/7/5 on elite efficiency as "cant-miss star" as it gets :lol:

And like to be clear I am not necessarily on board with making that deal, but odds are Sarr never gets anywhere near to 36-year old KD level.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,223

Post#176 » by MoneyBall » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:24 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I mean yeah - he isn’t some can’t miss Wemby level prospect.

Sarr also has the chance to completely bust or be a mediocre player and leave you in purgatory. There is a reason why people are down on this class, and it is because the top end is pretty big question marks. The draft is already an eduacated guess, and this year that guess is even murkier.

KD is a cant miss star - what the ****? His biggest concern is injuries... but 27/7/5 on elite efficiency as "cant-miss star" as it gets :lol:

And like to be clear I am not necessarily on board with making that deal, but odds are Sarr never gets anywhere near to 36-year old KD level.

KD will be closer to 37 than 36 come playoffs next season. High risk of injury and steep decline with the serious risk of him demanding out after one season. Any one of those three things happen and he's a big fat miss.

And even if none of those things happen, our ceiling and window of opportunity is very poor. It's such a terrible gamble.

Wait a second, weren't you also on board trading Scottie for Lillard last season? Scottie being a question mark and Lillard being a can't miss star, right?
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,519

Post#177 » by S.W.A.N » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:42 pm

MoneyBall wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:A 36 year old KD isn't a can't miss level star either. I'm flabbergasted that you'd give up the #1 pick overall for him. We have zero shot at winning anything.

KD will be closer to 37 than 36 come playoffs next season. High risk of injury and steep decline with the serious risk of him demanding out after one season. Any one of those three things happen and he's a big fat miss.

And even if none of those things happen, our ceiling and window of opportunity is very poor. It's such a terrible gamble.

Wait a second, weren't you also on board trading Scottie for Lillard last season? Scottie being a question mark and Lillard being a can't miss star, right?

This.

Trading for a star right now is such a short sighted idea. We are not one player away from a title.

Durant has a 2 year window if everything falls perfect health wise. There is no trade for him and then build around him, it is literally championship or bust with any Durant trade.

Our core isn't in that stage of their development. Scottie, Quick, RJ, they are still learning and growing and will take a couple years to really be ready for championship run.

If we have a top 4 pick, maybe that player isn't a star like Durant (definitely not) but they will be under controlled contract for 7-9 years. Even if that player only becomes a really good role player or borderline star (medium and likely best case outcomes) then our team benefits.

Let's not become the Suns, Nets, etc and screw ourselves by overcommitting to a roster that isn't good enough.
We the North
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 516

Post#178 » by CazOnReal » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:30 pm

Unless you're getting a young star like Lauri Markkanen (which by all accounts it sounds like it's out of the question), trading our pick if it's Top 4 doesn't make sense unless you're doing something like Keldon Johnson and our pick control back for this year's pick.

And no, you don't trade the pick for LaMelo Ball just because we have free healthcare or whatever. Dude has the worst ankles in the league aside from his brother.

Brown + 19 or 31 to get someone the FO is high on/take a flier on someone like Hunter, Wiggins, etc. whose value is distressed and can be rehabilitated makes more sense if we do end up keeping our pick.
causal_fan
Junior
And1: 338

Post#179 » by causal_fan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:54 pm

The only teams that should be interested in KD are teams that have championship aspirations next season and that's not your Raptors.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,495

Post#180 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:20 pm

CazOnReal wrote:Unless you're getting a young star like Lauri Markkanen (which by all accounts it sounds like it's out of the question), trading our pick if it's Top 4 doesn't make sense unless you're doing something like Keldon Johnson and our pick control back for this year's pick.

And no, you don't trade the pick for LaMelo Ball just because we have free healthcare or whatever. Dude has the worst ankles in the league aside from his brother.

Brown + 19 or 31 to get someone the FO is high on/take a flier on someone like Hunter, Wiggins, etc. whose value is distressed and can be rehabilitated makes more sense if we do end up keeping our pick.

This is a horrible, horrible use of assets.

We'd be much better using these picks in hopes of at least getting a quality role player. Doing this not only makes us better in the short term but it also increases our asset base in the long term.

If a team is willing to adequately compensate us for taking on their long term money and we have no other plans for that space, then sure - we might do well to consider it.

But we shouldn't be looking at selling picks to buy vets at this stage of the rebuild. Picks should be paid to us for our space, whether we keep our pick or not.

Return to Toronto Raptors