ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: 13 Game Losing Streak

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

RealGM
And1: 66,559

Re: PG: 13 Game Losing Streak 

Post#21 » by 720 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:16 am

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:"Tanking" just to lose the pick because Masai and Bobby wanted their top 10 center

Getting a top ten centre is a great outcome as we are probably going to end up giving away a 16-17 pick next year. And then we end up getting a top six pick this year....man TWO is sure hard to please. Lots of fine young vet assets and Scottie Barnes. Plus a high pick, and two more picks this year? Masai and co. Did a great job

This level of Homerism is crazy

Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,883

Post#22 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:36 am

720 wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:"Tanking" just to lose the pick because Masai and Bobby wanted their top 10 center

Getting a top ten centre is a great outcome as we are probably going to end up giving away a 16-17 pick next year. And then we end up getting a top six pick this year....man TWO is sure hard to please. Lots of fine young vet assets and Scottie Barnes. Plus a high pick, and two more picks this year? Masai and co. Did a great job

Lol, good argument.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,900

Post#23 » by Thaddy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:44 am

Poeltl would bring back a top ten pick this year. There are a few perennial losers in the top ten that need a productive center.
basketballto
Ballboy
And1: 37

Post#24 » by basketballto » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:58 am

720 wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:

Some people want to go back to the centerless Raptors of 2020s? That didn't work out well. Raptors need more centers not less. What kind of center talent pipeline do you see Jacob holding back?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,721

Post#25 » by DG88 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:21 am

Mikistan wrote:My son made it to the jumbotron tonight, twas a good night

So was mine along with me. So some people on the forum who were at the game saw a mod in real life :wink:
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#26 » by DG88 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:37 am

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
720 wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:

Lol, good argument.

Poeltl is not a top 10 center. Yes he provides impact but not enough to turn our fortunes around enough to be a winning team. He's steady and that's fine when you have a veteran team with star talent to win you games. Not a 25 and under team who's learning how to win and develop. What you're saying is that we'd be a playoff team next year based on where next year's pick will land. Even with everyone healthy and with some improvement at best we're fighting for a Play-In spot. You can't see the talent disparity between this team and the playoff teams this year? This team is still 2 years away from being a winning team at minimum if we want to be realistic. I think everyone wants to the team to get back to winning but that's going to take time.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,272

Post#27 » by MiamiSPX » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:47 am

Went away for a week and had no access to Raps games, and my life was better for it. Tried to watch last night and couldn't even last 5 minutes. Of the 10 players that saw the court last night, there is a real chance that Dick and Olynyk are the only 2 players still with the team next season. May 12th can't come soon enough.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,197

Post#28 » by duppyy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:00 pm

Imagine we tanked last year like this from the jump, we’d be sitting pretty right now with the best centre in Wemby, but we are here talking about the “ 10th” best centre.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,757

Post#29 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:55 pm

duppyy wrote:Imagine we tanked last year like this from the jump, we’d be sitting pretty right now with the best centre in Wemby, but we are here talking about the “ 10th” best centre.

We'd have won the lottery if we tanked last year? I don't think that's how it works.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#30 » by ConSarnit » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:39 pm

Thaddy wrote:Poeltl would bring back a top ten pick this year. There are a few perennial losers in the top ten that need a productive center.

From who?

DET: Duren
WAS: needs a C but is probably tanking for another year or 2
SAS: Wemby
CHA: Williams
POR: Ayton
MEM: JJJ, just traded away Adams (a Poeltl adjacent C)
UTH: Kessler
BKN: Claxton

So if the top 10 teams, the 2 teams with unproven centers (DET and CHA) have young guys who have shown flashes. Why would they also give up a top 4 pick? And the team without a C at all (WAS) just started their rebuild and has no need for one, nor would they give up a top 3 pick.

There is no way we could get a top 10 pick for Poeltl this year because the teams that might need a C are drafting top 4. There is also no way we could get one for next year when the draft is better. Then we’re looking at 2026 at which point Poeltl might not even be a top 20 C. We are never getting equivalent value back for Poeltl.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,145

Post#31 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:57 pm

Poeltl is mid

I thought he was mid for a top 10 pick
I thought Masai was a genius to have traded this out-of-era center for Kawhi
I now think Masai is an fraud to have traded for him back with a lottery pick
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,197

Post#32 » by duppyy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:10 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
duppyy wrote:Imagine we tanked last year like this from the jump, we’d be sitting pretty right now with the best centre in Wemby, but we are here talking about the “ 10th” best centre.

We'd have won the lottery if we tanked last year? I don't think that's how it works.

There is obviously no guarantee but a chance to get wemby was the correct choice over the hope of making and winning a stupid play-in game.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,971

Post#33 » by Los_29 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:16 pm

duppyy wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

There is obviously no guarantee but a chance to get wemby was the correct choice over the hope of making and winning a stupid play-in game.

I think the confusing part was that you implied that we would’ve had Wemby had we tanked. We obviously now know we wouldn’t have as San Antonio won the lottery.

I agree, a stealth tank was the best option though.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,267

Post#34 » by Childs » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:29 pm

DG88 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:My son made it to the jumbotron tonight, twas a good night

So was mine along with me. So some people on the forum who were at the game saw a mod in real life :wink:

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,519

Post#35 » by Scase » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:05 pm

basketballto wrote:
720 wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:

Some people want to go back to the centerless Raptors of 2020s? That didn't work out well. Raptors need more centers not less. What kind of center talent pipeline do you see Jacob holding back?

So in your opinion, there is either :

A) No centres ever
B) Trade a top 6 protected FRP when your team is in the lotto for a mid tier centre

Like these are the only options? Cavs got Allen for peanuts, Knicks got Hartenstein for literally nothing, Utah got Kessler with the 22nd pick, Nets got Claxton with the 31st pick, Knicks got Robinson with the 36th pick. And these are just a few instances, Masai is not a bad GM/Pres by any stretch, and I think we can all agree that he is a much better option that anything the Knicks, Nets, and Cavs are working with. Expectations for him are higher due to past performance, and he has not been performing at that level over the last few years.

Blowing that FRP to get a middle of the road centre is, frankly, an awful move for someone of his perceived calibre. Koloko might have been a solid option and bad luck screwed everyone on that, but that is one instance over 3 years of no NBA quality centres.

No one wants a centreless team, but people also don't want to throw away lotto picks for a team that won't even be in a playoff hunt for a couple years. Jak is not "holding back" a centre talent pipeline, but rather the trade put us in a bad spot overall preventing us from potentially having our pick this year, and inflating our win total the last year, lowering the pick quality. I'm happy with Gradey, but it's not like had we gotten a better pick, we couldn't have still picked him, all while still having a shot at getting a #1 OA pick with some luck.

It's not haram to say that he has failed in this aspect.
Props TZ!
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,038

Post#36 » by Duffman100 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:24 pm

I didn't want the trade and still don't like the trade. Timing and fit wise it just didn't make sense and really reeked of a FO being told to drive revenue.

I really like Poeltl. I think his value as a center is often underrated by many people and he's really good. Top 15 for sure, at times can appear in the top 12. The perception of Poeltl is being driven by the trade.

At 19.5 flat, he's a great value contract going forward.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,270

Post#37 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:38 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Poeltl would bring back a top ten pick this year. There are a few perennial losers in the top ten that need a productive center.

From who?

DET: Duren
WAS: needs a C but is probably tanking for another year or 2
SAS: Wemby
CHA: Williams
POR: Ayton
MEM: JJJ, just traded away Adams (a Poeltl adjacent C)
UTH: Kessler
BKN: Claxton

So if the top 10 teams, the 2 teams with unproven centers (DET and CHA) have young guys who have shown flashes. Why would they also give up a top 4 pick? And the team without a C at all (WAS) just started their rebuild and has no need for one, nor would they give up a top 3 pick.

There is no way we could get a top 10 pick for Poeltl this year because the teams that might need a C are drafting top 4. There is also no way we could get one for next year when the draft is better. Then we’re looking at 2026 at which point Poeltl might not even be a top 20 C. We are never getting equivalent value back for Poeltl.

Also what team wants to trade 20 million in contract + pick for Poeltl? The raptors have to take back **** contracts as well?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#38 » by DG88 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:07 pm

Duffman100 wrote:I didn't want the trade and still don't like the trade. Timing and fit wise it just didn't make sense and really reeked of a FO being told to drive revenue.

I really like Poeltl. I think his value as a center is often underrated by many people and he's really good. Top 15 for sure, at times can appear in the top 12. The perception of Poeltl is being driven by the trade.

I'm of the same frame of mind. Didn't like the trade, timing and fit of getting Poeltl. As I stated above, he has impact but with a 25 and under team he's not going to raise the ceiling to be a winning program. A more veteran laden team would get more out of what Poeltl brings as a floor raiser. Whether he's the center of the future of us is yet to be determined, but I think he's the current stop gap until we either get a better center.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,258

Post#39 » by pingpongrac » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:14 pm

Duffman100 wrote:I didn't want the trade and still don't like the trade. Timing and fit wise it just didn't make sense and really reeked of a FO being told to drive revenue.

I was fine with the trade initially because I thought we were going to continue to build with Scottie/Siakam/OG, but it's looking more and more like a very questionable trade due to its timing (Siakam and OG up for big contracts then eventually traded) as well as the lack of protection on the pick. I like Poeltl as a player and it is clear his impact is well worth the ~20M/year (we're 36-40 with Poeltl since the trade and 2-22 with him out of the lineup), but last year's pick (which could have been top 10) and this year's pick (or next year's pick, whichever ends up conveying) are always going to be talking points when it comes to Poeltl's contributions to the team. I don't think it's near as big of a deal as most because the chances of us landing Wemby were extremely miniscule and Gradey would still have been a great pick around 10, but it kind of took away a lot of flexibility.
t54zhao
Junior
And1: 580

Post#40 » by t54zhao » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:25 pm

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:

Theres a 54% chance right now that we lose the pick for this year.
My challenge to the Vaccine truthers, make a prediction and sig it.
Mine: In 2023, rates of heart attacks & strokes amongst vaccinated people, never infected with COVID will be similar (+-5%) when compared to people of same age in 2018.

Return to Toronto Raptors