ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,700

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1781 » by Psubs » Wed May 8, 2024 8:36 pm

will wrote:Where is that boy Zach Edey going?

#30 to Boston
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,880

Post#1782 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 8, 2024 9:26 pm

Psubs wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
The NBL is a pretty poor professional league, I don't think it compares even to the Adriatic league but you'd have to get an expert to comment on that since I say that out of observation. The comparison I've made for Sarr dating back a little while now is a player along the lines of Mobley with significantly higher chance to bust than Mobley had. Quite frankly I don't think Sarr has the same interior game on both ends of the floor that Mobley did as an 18 year old or compares in the feel department, Mobley was more polished. Hence, being further behind in development = higher chance of not reaching the level of Mobley.

On top of all that, Sarr didn't even start in the NBL, has played limited minutes his entire life whereas Mobley started every game at USC and that year USC had the 19th strongest strength of schedule in D1. Mobley also had trash teammates and still put up incredible numbers. Do you think Alex Sarr if he were headed to USC this year would put up a 13.7 freshman BPM? I have serious doubts. Mobley's FTr alone is something Sarr doesn't have the ability to generate and he wouldn't be making up for it with efficiency at the rim or volume 3 shooting, the Pac-12 usually has enough quality big men to match up with him. On top of that, while showing at least SOME proficiency as a passer which is good for his outlook Mobley showed far more advanced passing than I'd imagine Sarr shows this year and probably overall cleaner game w/ less mistakes (getting called for travels, rotations, etc..).

Yeah I’ve had this conversation before so I’m not overly eager to rehash it all again.

I’ll just say Mobley in college had better feel for game and passer while Sarr is a better athlete, better handle, and higher potential for developing a 3pt shot. That’s my very brief synopsis.

With regards to NBL the league has sent rookie NBA players to the league who have excelled. Trash is bordering on hyperbole and diminishes your argument imo.

Also what would Mobley have done in his high school senior year? That’s how old Sarr was this past season.

Again, no question Sarr is number one for me.

Ousmane Dieng, Terrence Ferguson, etc.

Dieng is still 20

Just led OKC GLeague to championship and was MVP

Here is a fun exercise, list guys drafted from NCAA who haven’t worked out. Pretty pointless endeavour, no? Most guys drafted become nothing within 4 years.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,326

Post#1783 » by Dalek » Wed May 8, 2024 9:46 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Dalek wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:I have many questions about Sarr's fit on any team. IMO he's not a 5 because he gets bullied inside, questionable positional rebounding/boxing out and just doesn't finish strong inside. He has even admitted he doesn't want to gain weight in order to maintain his mobility and clearly views himself as some kind of finesse player. If a team plays him at 5 they're going to give up possessions on the glass and be hard pressed to establish an inside game on offense while also being able to exploit him w/ traditional 5's w/ effective post games. If he's a 4 whose offense doesn't come around mightily and I don't believe he'll ever be good on that end, you're basically forced to find a 5 capable of stretching the floor and possessing a very specific skillset to offset his weaknesses with the lone advantage of his perimeter defense and weakside rim protection or you'll be stuck with a Mobley-Allen situation. Does he really possess the motor and feel that would make him a 98th percentile defender worth heavily modifying your roster construction for if he's just a 4 with crap offense.

I kind of think the opposite of Sarr. What NBA team wouldn't want a seven footer who can protect the paint and potentially hit threes?
I mean look at how he moves at 7'1".

Read on Twitter

People can say all kinds of things about being bullied inside (see what critics said about Chet Holmgren and Mobley and Wemby). Sarr has a good enough body to play C. You look at how Mobley choked off the paint against Orlando without Allen beside him, and you can see a similar type of model for Sarr. To me, elite rim defense is about being able to cover ground and reaction and timing. Sarr has shown that.

I think he is right in saying he doesn't want to just gain weight, but as players age they just naturally do. He is not frail coming in, and in time his frame will add muscle.

As far as traditional fives who would exploit him, please name a few. It seems like the NBA as a whole has shifted away from post-ups. If it were the case that post-ups were still a thing, you figure Edey would be number one.

Not even traditional 5's just any 5 with half decent functional strength. Almanza and Yang made him look like a clown, there were some smaller NBL bigs that schooled him on tape and he routinely has let small guards blow by him without being able to close the gap as well as you'd like from someone with his dimensions and mobility. Everything with Sarr is projection and not actuality which is fine given his age but I view him as more volatile than people who have him #1 thinking he's a guaranteed all-NBA defender and it's just his offense that is questionable.

I don't know what to say about a handful of possessions or one off games internationally. Sarr had a really good year as a whole in the NBL. His ground coverage as a big is special and pops in film. Any lotto guy is about projection but tools are tools. Guys like Ausar/Amen Thompson had elite tools and many people pegged them as a high lotto despite little film against high competition. Sarr fits into the modern game pretty well. I don't even know if Almanza and Yang make NBA rosters to be honest.

Duop Reath was a NBL center like Sarr, and in his first year in Portland he had 9PPG and 4REB with 0.6 blocks and overall was very effective in limited minutes. In the NBL the season prior he had 15/7/1.6 at age 26. Sarr just had 10/4/1.3 at age 19.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,735

Post#1784 » by Yallbecrazy » Wed May 8, 2024 9:55 pm

Guys I like relative to their draft slot:
Topic
Filipowski
Devin Carter

Not really sold on anyone else.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,149

Post#1785 » by Risk101 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:55 pm

In the 29 year history of the Raptors they have never received the #3 pick in any draft.

Maybe this year can change that.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,880

Post#1786 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 8, 2024 11:06 pm

Risk101 wrote:In the 29 year history of the Raptors they have never received the #3 pick in any draft.

They’ve also never picked 6th
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,168

Post#1787 » by billy_hoyle » Wed May 8, 2024 11:19 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Risk101 wrote:In the 29 year history of the Raptors they have never received the #3 pick in any draft.

We've picked 2x ROY with the 4th slot (I'm counting the draft day trade for Vince Carter).

It seems lucky for us.

Let's get it again.

Edit: and a HoFer in Bosh
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,149

Post#1788 » by Risk101 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:21 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:

Yeah but 3 would be better.

Donovan Clingan is probably who we should go for. 2 time champ that can post, shoot and make the right plays. Hopefully we can then move off of Jakob.

Every other prospect is over hyped.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,921

Post#1789 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:29 pm

#19 to your Toronto Raptors. If we keep our pick.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,058

Post#1790 » by NotMyKawhi » Wed May 8, 2024 11:47 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Would be the worst pick since Bruno. Guy was useless at the world's. Gets away w overpowering kids.

No way Mu takes him
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,510

Post#1791 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu May 9, 2024 12:08 am

Risk101 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Yeah but 3 would be better.

Donovan Clingan is probably who we should go for. 2 time champ that can post, shoot and make the right plays. Hopefully we can then move off of Jakob.

Every other prospect is over hyped.

I'm not sure I'd say that Clingan can "shoot". He's hit 2 threes his entire career, and last year shot .583 from the FT line, which was still an improvement over his freshman season.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,355

Post#1792 » by UnderdogRaptors » Thu May 9, 2024 12:29 am

Almost here fellars
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#1793 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:21 am

Watching a previous lottery and when a team gets a pick from someone they just immediately show that team with a lil description under the picture.

So if I see spurs at any moment before #6 imma be worried even tho that could realistically be their pick and not ours lol
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 530

Post#1794 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 9, 2024 1:21 am

Edey will be a serviceable backup center...on a team that isn't the Raptors

The thing with Zach is he forces your team to play a very specific style and that style is contrary to the pace/offensive schemes the Raptors are trying to run. He slows down the pace, he doesn't space the floor and his post-game is not elite enough for him to dominate like he did against significantly smaller/less athletic competition in college.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,707

Post#1795 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 9, 2024 1:57 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:Watching a previous lottery and when a team gets a pick from someone they just immediately show that team with a lil description under the picture.

So if I see spurs at any moment before #6 imma be worried even tho that could realistically be their pick and not ours lol

they will tell u if its ours or not like here with orl/chicago at 11. nba has improved the way its been done the last few years

DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,921

Post#1796 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Thu May 9, 2024 2:44 am

NotMyKawhi wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Would be the worst pick since Bruno. Guy was useless at the world's. Gets away w overpowering kids.

No way Mu takes him

Not a good fit on our team for sure.. Need a stud defensive guy in that slot as our team already has too many negatives on defense.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,700

Post#1797 » by Psubs » Thu May 9, 2024 3:45 am

CazOnReal wrote:Edey will be a serviceable backup center...on a team that isn't the Raptors

The thing with Zach is he forces your team to play a very specific style and that style is contrary to the pace/offensive schemes the Raptors are trying to run. He slows down the pace, he doesn't space the floor and his post-game is not elite enough for him to dominate like he did against significantly smaller/less athletic competition in college.

I think he could take a really bad team and make them better, aka Washington. At #26, I think he would be a decent get for the Wizards. If they also get Topic, the Wizards would be like the UN, more than it already is.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#1798 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:51 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Watching a previous lottery and when a team gets a pick from someone they just immediately show that team with a lil description under the picture.

they will tell u if its ours or not like here with orl/chicago at 11. nba has improved the way its been done the last few years

I know lol that's what I was saying I just meant my initial reaction just off seeing a spurs pic alone will shock me
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,644

Post#1799 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:13 am

I ran tankathon 10x today, reset it after each sim
We kept the pick 5x
1st-1x
3rd-2x
4th-1x
6th-1x

First time I hit 50% outta 10