ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1421 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:37 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
TGM wrote:Is it me or does Ulrich Chomche's game reminds me a lot of Giannis.

I don't see that too much other than being tall and a physical force. From what I watched of Giannis as a teen was him playing as a point-forward and having a special passing and finishing ability.

Chomche seems to be more of a three and blocks kind of player. I see some Bobby Portis to his game which is like a 10-15 year type of vet, which would be great to draft if you have time to develop the player.

Here is some good background on him. Can't believe he comes from a family of 16 and raised on a farm. The typical late bloomer, but he has really dedicated himself to development:

“His biggest strength is defense,” Traore says. “First of all, his size and length—you cannot teach that. He was born with it. It’s a gift. Great rebounder. Great shot blocker. The timing is exceptional. And his lateral movement, being able to defend, that’s already a gift for him. I think that’s half the battle for him. He’s adding a nice three-pointer. He can shoot from the corner and make them consistently. During the games, when we need it, he’s able to make those shots.”

Above all else, Chomche is “a winner,” says Traore. He does the little things and always finds a way to make an impact, even if it doesn’t show up in the box score. “I would be surprised if Ulrich went his entire career in the NBA without a championship,” Traore continues. “Having some of the best coaches in the world work with him every day, Ulrich will be a starter in the NBA for over a decade. That’s who he is.”

https://www.slamonline.com/nba-draft/nba-academy-africa-nba-draft/ulrich-chomche/

I fully expect Chomche to be called up as a Raptors pick - the only question is whether its 19 or 31st (or any other pick if we trade for another one).

I would not be mad if #19 was Chomche or Carrington and it took 3-4 for them to develop.

Heck look at how long it too Coby White to develop even with Lonzo out and Lavine hurt a lot. They are only paying him $12-13 million per year for the next 2 seasons and going to get $30 million per year production.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,626

Post#1422 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:38 pm

Psubs wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:I'd like to think Tijane Salaun, Zac Edey and Tyler Smith will all be available at #19. That Pacome Dadiet, Ryan Dunn and Jalen Bridges all there at 31.

Wonder if there is any truth to Wiggins availability. Not a bad Trent jr. replacement.

It would make the lineup even bigger moving Barrett to SG and Wiggins at SF.

Wiggins, Moody and cash for Ochai Agbaji, Boucher and McDaniels (waived). Draft Castle or Topic to come off the bench as PG/SG and earn a starting spot the following season and then can move Barrett back to SF and Wiggins to the bench as SF/PF.

Let Brown and Trent walk. Use some money to offer at Obi Toppin to pry him away from Indy.

PG IQ - Castle/Topic - JFL
SG Barrett - Moody - Castle/Topic
SF Wiggins - Toppin - #19(or 31)
PF Barnes - Toppin - Wiggins
C Poeltl - Olynyk - #19 (or 31)

This team looks 2nd only to the Celtics.

Why not just trade brown for Wiggins in your scenario

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1423 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:41 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:I'd like to think Tijane Salaun, Zac Edey and Tyler Smith will all be available at #19. That Pacome Dadiet, Ryan Dunn and Jalen Bridges all there at 31.

Wonder if there is any truth to Wiggins availability. Not a bad Trent jr. replacement.

Wiggins, Moody and cash for Ochai Agbaji, Boucher and McDaniels (waived). Draft Castle or Topic to come off the bench as PG/SG and earn a starting spot the following season and then can move Barrett back to SF and Wiggins to the bench as SF/PF.

Let Brown and Trent walk. Use some money to offer at Obi Toppin to pry him away from Indy.

We could do Brown if GS wants to but maybe they want to cut some salary and get 2 usable bench players? Also then we'd still have those 3 players and less money to spend on Toppin or whoever?
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#1424 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

I was going to say the same thing.

Would really, REALLY prefer not to be taking on Wiggins, especially if all we're going to get in return is Moody - another SG of which we have many.

I would just leave it at this - unless we're able to get adequate compensation for absorbing long term salary via Brown's salary, it's probably best we just decline his TO. Not really interested in taking on the Wiggins and Hunters of the world for basically nothing.

Of the teams that might be trying to get under the tax, they all of their own way of doing it:

MEM - Can decline TO on Kennard
POR - Plenty of valuable vets they can trade
CHI - might want to get off Vuc but shouldn't deal their picks
GSW - same as CHI

Masai probably should hug the L and just decline the TO and use the capspace to round out the holes in the roster.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,671

Post#1425 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1426 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:31 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Bronny will go undrafted and sign with the Lakers.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,279

Post#1427 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:38 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

BS - everyone involved including Lebron, Bronny, ESPN, and the NBA wants this to happen, anternd it will most likely happen with the Lakers (since the James family all live in LA and seem to like it there). It is a great storyline for next season for everyone to follow.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1428 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 pm

Psubs wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

or take him 55

or get a team to fk with lakers to take him before
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,738

Post#1429 » by Ell Curry » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:14 pm

Bruce Brown, #19
for
Lonzo, Javon Carter, #11

would save the Bulls like 4M or so (5M in salary, but more with draft swap but one more roster spot to fill at minimum) and should allow them to keep Demar and PatWilliams and Drummond and run things back and at #19 you can probably still just about snag the #1 choice at PF (Tyler Smith, Da Silva) or grab a center like Missi or Ware to develop there:

Vooch-Drummond
PatWill-Brown
DeMar-Brown
Lavine-Caruso
White-Dosunmu

as a 9 man rotation

And we move up and hopefully a decent wing falls to us and we get a few years to develop a Cody Williams or whoever. Hopefully we can get off Javon's deal - even if it means throwing in a 2nd rounder - at next year's deadline if he plays okay here as a backup to Quickley.
Where's the D?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,913

Post#1430 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:27 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Psubs wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

or take him 55

Isn't it better for "Lebron's People" to insist Bronny goes undrafted and gets guaranteed Laker money as free agent? It is like LBJ asking for a sunset perk on top of the 160+ he will command into his 40's. Bronny plays for 3, 4 years then heads overseas.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1431 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 1, 2024 12:30 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Psubs wrote:

or take him 55

Isn't it better for "Lebron's People" to insist Bronny goes undrafted and gets guaranteed Laker money as free agent? It is like LBJ asking for a sunset perk on top of the 160+ he will command into his 40's. Bronny plays for 3, 4 years then heads overseas.

With what money
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,158

Post#1432 » by PoundTown » Wed May 1, 2024 1:32 am

Ell Curry wrote:Bruce Brown, #19
for
Lonzo, Javon Carter, #11

would save the Bulls like 4M or so (5M in salary, but more with draft swap but one more roster spot to fill at minimum) and should allow them to keep Demar and PatWilliams and Drummond and run things back and at #19 you can probably still just about snag the #1 choice at PF (Tyler Smith, Da Silva) or grab a center like Missi or Ware to develop there:

Vooch-Drummond
PatWill-Brown
DeMar-Brown
Lavine-Caruso
White-Dosunmu

as a 9 man rotation

And we move up and hopefully a decent wing falls to us and we get a few years to develop a Cody Williams or whoever. Hopefully we can get off Javon's deal - even if it means throwing in a 2nd rounder - at next year's deadline if he plays okay here as a backup to Quickley.

Great deal if it works and can talk chicago into it.. Imagine you’re factoring in our TPE. Would love that deal, especially if we dont retain our pick this year. Then get another decent pick next year, and hopefully be able to sign that 3 and D wing with Boucher and lonzo both expiring after this offseason. Obviously have Scottie kicking in, but having the full mle might be able to find us that 3 and D wing if we’re lucky. Hopefully, with internal development, by 2026 playoffs we are a top 6 seed.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,485

Post#1433 » by PhilBlackson » Wed May 1, 2024 3:53 am

I'm almost certain we'll take Chomche with the DET pick if he happens to be there.

I just wonder if they'll love him enough where if they hear whispers someone plans to take him in the 20s, if they'll just pull the trigger on him anyways. Because personally I believe their gameplan is to grab the best PG possible with the IND pick (that's McCain if by some miracle he's still there) then use the DET for a 3rd string C.

Of course that leaves a longer wing on their list of needs & if we can't keep our pick to draft Holland or Matas then idk how we're gonna address that.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1434 » by Psubs » Wed May 1, 2024 12:41 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I'm almost certain we'll take Chomche with the DET pick if he happens to be there.

I just wonder if they'll love him enough where if they hear whispers someone plans to take him in the 20s, if they'll just pull the trigger on him anyways. Because personally I believe their gameplan is to grab the best PG possible with the IND pick (that's McCain if by some miracle he's still there) then use the DET for a 3rd string C.

Of course that leaves a longer wing on their list of needs & if we can't keep our pick to draft Holland or Matas then idk how we're gonna address that.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba-draft/nba-academy-africa-nba-draft/ulrich-chomche/

“My parents didn’t want me to do any activities except school because my family values education a lot,” Chomche tells SLAM. In order to join the local team, he had struck a deal with them: Chomche could play, but if his grades suffered at all, he would have to quit.

None of Ulrich’s 16 siblings played, instead gravitating to soccer, by far the most popular sport in Cameroon. Ulrich grew up helping out on the family farm—not dreaming of a future in the NBA.

Discipline parents of 16 kids! Soccer footwork foundation!

From the beginning, Chomche displayed an incredible work ethic. His current schedule at the Academy sees him report to the gym around 5:30 am every day for an individual workout, followed by a team practice and an hour of weightlifting—all before morning classes start at 10:00 am. For a while, Chomche was also taking night classes (after a second team practice from 5:30-7:30 pm) so that he could graduate early (which he did).

“What I like about the Academy is that they don’t only teach you how to play basketball, they teach you how to be a man, too,” Chomche says.

At the 2022 Basketball Without Borders camp in Cairo, Egypt, Chomche won the Defensive MVP award.

100% on Masai's radar 2 years ago. I'd say that Masai would take him at #19 and not risk a team like Boston taking him at #30 with Horford getting old, trading away Time Lord and Porzingis injury prone.

Look on the break when he gets crossed and quickly flip his hips and keep up and make the block!!! That's defending in soccer 100%.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 472

Post#1435 » by Smalltown » Wed May 1, 2024 12:50 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:Three quality rotation plays would be huge for this team. Anything more than that is a homerun.

To be honest three quality rotation players would be a home run. Like a moon shot. Hitting a draft like that is so rare.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#1436 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:02 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I'm almost certain we'll take Chomche with the DET pick if he happens to be there.

I know Masai loves his African players but at some point, we have to do what's best for the franchise. At #19, we really need to be looking at a backup PG. Here's to hoping Carter or McCain will be there... or even Collier but we NEED to get a PG prospect.

If we didn't take Holland with our pick then it might be worth giving Watkins a look if he's available at #31. We have a pretty decent C rotation now with Poeltl and Olynyk so unless there's some superstar potential in Chomche that I'm not seeing, it's probably a better use of #31 to add some much needed depth to that SF spot.

If we did keep #6 and Holmes is off the board at 31 then I guess you could afford to take a swing on Chomche if you really wanted to.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,279

Post#1437 » by Raptorfan2012 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:14 pm

The more I think about it, if we only have the 19 and 31st pick this summer, its probably better to grab a back up PG (Carter, McCain, Collier, Kolek, Sallis, Carrington, Simpson etc) and a big wing (Furphy, Klintman, George, Silva, Tyson, Jones etc), as those are probably the best players available at our slot. If we want a back up big, maybe swing a trade with Boucher/Brown etc to make something happen, but out of all the positions available this summer, I would say Cs have the biggest pool to choose from (Jalen Smith, JV, Holmes, Wiseman, Claxton, Hartenstein, Wagner, Bryant, Bamba, Hayes, Goga, Tilman, etc).
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,280

Post#1438 » by God Squad » Wed May 1, 2024 1:14 pm

Why do you consider Mcain the "Best PG possible"? When his archetype is that of Trent Jr, Clarkson, and every other small shooter. I see very little actual "point guard" skills. I may need to dive into more film, but I've seen nothing other than age that suggests he's the best PG available.

I've been stuck on Carter vs Mcain all year, I just don't know. I've seen others mention Collier, but I'd rather have one of Carter or Mcain.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1439 » by Psubs » Wed May 1, 2024 1:30 pm

Watching Brunson succeed, I'm fine with waiting until #31 to draft Carrington, Kolek, Simpson, Sears or Juan Nunez.

Nunez looks like he's lefty Dragic. Maybe he improves his shooting that looks decent? Can stash overseas for a year until McDaniels and others free up playing time.

Sears put up 50/43/85 but his A/T is slightly below 2. He would at least be able to score off the bench.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,280

Post#1440 » by God Squad » Wed May 1, 2024 1:44 pm

Psubs wrote:Watching Brunson succeed, I'm fine with waiting until #31 to draft Carrington, Kolek, Simpson, Sears or Juan Nunez.

Nunez looks like he's lefty Dragic. Maybe he improves his shooting that looks decent? Can stash overseas for a year until McDaniels and others free up playing time.

Sears put up 50/43/85 but his A/T is slightly below 2. He would at least be able to score off the bench.

So you'd draft a big at 19? Instead of going guard at 19 and big at 31?

Return to Toronto Raptors