ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,695

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1481 » by Psubs » Thu May 2, 2024 2:08 am

Yallbecrazy wrote:Oddly I was super high on Podziemski last year, but am intrigued and not sold on Sheppard this year. With Podz I saw a guy who was getting the Curry treatment by lesser opponents as opposed to a guy who was surrounded by shooters and knew how to work with spacing. Podz also had the insane rebounding numbers which I love in guards that Sheppard does not (he's not bad).

Podz had more compete in him and was a better creator and playmaker where I see more roadblocks for Sheppard in becoming a star guard. I think that if Podz can improve his ball handling significantly he has legit all star point guard potential. Sheppard's ball handling is behind Podz despite having played basketball his whole life where Podz started ~6 years ago, he's also behind him in terms of his vision. Sheppard is more fundamentally sound and polished as a player, but I don't see him becoming a top point guard without significantly improving multiple skills.

It is interesting that Podz had an A/T of around 1.5 at SC but it's 3 as a pro! :o I thought he'd be more like a SG/SF like Josh Hart but he's more of a SG/PG. Finding a starter level player at #19 like Podz, Jaquez and Jovic is pretty good. I guess we all want to find Tyrese Maxey level gets there.

Maybe Maxey and Quickley being both on Kentucky hurt their stocks like Sheppard and Dillingham off the bench. Just not enough PT to spread their wings. Sheppard is like sophomore age but Lillard went to a small school and was a senior.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html

It took Nash until age 26 to put up over 10 ppg. Reed could be a stronger, bouncier Nash. Nash had an A/T of around 1.6 his senior year. His 2.5 stls to only 1.9 to's can't be ignored.
Pericles
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#1482 » by Pericles » Thu May 2, 2024 3:51 am

I have not considered Reed Sheppard as a prospect for us closely. Most likely due to bias, his size is less than ideal and, like Masai, I have a strong preference for long wingspan relative to height. It is simply a defensive advantage.

The other problem I have with Sheppard is a strange one- stats are too good. 3 point percentage, fg %, stls just too good for a freshman. Too good to be believed long term.

I’m starting to wonder, as I watch the tape, if it’s just him who is too good.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#1483 » by Thaddy » Thu May 2, 2024 6:25 am

Risacher had a good game.

11 points (FG 4/5 | 3P 1/2)
6 rebounds
2 assists
1 steal

26 mins

https://www.lnb.fr/elite/game-center-resume/?id=26638
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#1484 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:07 am

Pericles wrote:I have not considered Reed Sheppard as a prospect for us closely. Most likely due to bias, his size is less than ideal and, like Masai, I have a strong preference for long wingspan relative to height. It is simply a defensive advantage.

The other problem I have with Sheppard is a strange one- stats are too good. 3 point percentage, fg %, stls just too good for a freshman. Too good to be believed long term.

I’m starting to wonder, as I watch the tape, if it’s just him who is too good.

I think Cody Williams is a vastly superior "prospect" to Reed Sheppard. Sheppard is like a Tyler Herro and Williams at least physically, is more like Brandon Ingram. However, he could welll have a career like Jeff Green. Valueable skillset for so many teams and drift around the league as rotation bench player. It is a hard comparison a young Herro vs. The older Jeff Green. It really comes down to fit in the end. Williams with more weight might be more succesful as defending power forward or hybrid 3-4 like early Green. Herro could fizzle longer term and be remembered as a much better Tyler Johnson. Williams is always going to be a better fit than an undersized 2 guard. William's big detraction is lousy rebounding.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,995

Post#1485 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu May 2, 2024 11:45 am

Yallbecrazy wrote:Oddly I was super high on Podziemski last year, but am intrigued and not sold on Sheppard this year. With Podz I saw a guy who was getting the Curry treatment by lesser opponents as opposed to a guy who was surrounded by shooters and knew how to work with spacing. Podz also had the insane rebounding numbers which I love in guards that Sheppard does not (he's not bad).

Podz had more compete in him and was a better creator and playmaker where I see more roadblocks for Sheppard in becoming a star guard. I think that if Podz can improve his ball handling significantly he has legit all star point guard potential. Sheppard's ball handling is behind Podz despite having played basketball his whole life where Podz started ~6 years ago, he's also behind him in terms of his vision. Sheppard is more fundamentally sound and polished as a player, but I don't see him becoming a top point guard without significantly improving multiple skills.

I don't think Sheppard is a top point guard, either, but he has more going for him as an all-situations guard that can compliment any star/team. To put it another way, I think Podziemski has all-star potential but will likely be a very good scoring option in the class of the LaVert's, Malik Monk, etc. Sheppard is going to play 15+ seasons and win rings. This is a tough call with a top 5 pick, but since the top of the draft is so milky this year I would take the easy cash pick here.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#1486 » by God Squad » Thu May 2, 2024 12:34 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
God Squad wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I'm almost certain we'll take Chomche with the DET pick if he happens to be there.

I just wonder if they'll love him enough where if they hear whispers someone plans to take him in the 20s, if they'll just pull the trigger on him anyways. Because personally I believe their gameplan is to grab the best PG possible with the IND pick (that's McCain if by some miracle he's still there) then use the DET for a 3rd string C.

Of course that leaves a longer wing on their list of needs & if we can't keep our pick to draft Holland or Matas then idk how we're gonna address that.

Why do you consider Mcain the "Best PG possible"? When his archetype is that of Trent Jr, Clarkson, and every other small shooter. I see very little actual "point guard" skills. I may need to dive into more film, but I've seen nothing other than age that suggests he's the best PG available.

I've been stuck on Carter vs Mcain all year, I just don't know. I've seen others mention Collier, but I'd rather have one of Carter or Mcain.

I'm not making a statement based on his actual game, but McCain was on a team with at least one PG in Roach and really 2 in Proctor, so it's conceivable he could look like a passable PG like Quickley, in time. Low turnover rate really the only sign to point to, but he wouldn't be the first NBA PG who had to play 2 guard in college and turned out to be about average as a distributor.

That's all true sort of, but what makes him better than Devin Carter? I'm fully aware that McCain is the better shooter of C&S and creation, but Devin has him beaten all around. Better defender, a better passer, better athletically and a better rebounder.

I feel like if anyone liked Podz last year, then Carter should also be high on peoples board.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 595

Post#1487 » by Gavin_TDThree » Thu May 2, 2024 12:45 pm

Sheppard is so hard to get a Reed on....

could be T. J. McConnell ++ and have a solid 15 year career. Or he could develop his craftiness and become an elite scoring PG. His shooting percentages are just mind boggling.

I want to think he's the second coming of Steph haha
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 592

Post#1488 » by grant101 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:01 pm

Morse Code wrote:I don't get the Salaun hype. What's the draw behind him?

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM Forums mobile app

He's young, has a decent motor, is reasonably athletic, but most of all looks the part of (tall, long, good frame). His shot also looks ok. And, because he's relatively new to the sport, ppl think he'll grow into learning the game... I'm less convinced
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1489 » by Psubs » Thu May 2, 2024 1:03 pm

Gavin_TDThree wrote:Sheppard is so hard to get a Reed on....

could be T. J. McConnell ++ and have a solid 15 year career. Or he could develop his craftiness and become an elite scoring PG. His shooting percentages are just mind boggling.

I would say he's like at minimum he's 6'3 FVV that gets more steals and a bit more blocks. The FG% would be closer to 44-45% just do to his height. Only question is would we be okay with a Lillard/McCollum small backcourt? With Scottie, Barrett and Poeltl the frontcourt would be way more solid than what the Blazers had.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1490 » by Psubs » Thu May 2, 2024 1:06 pm

grant101 wrote:
Morse Code wrote:I don't get the Salaun hype. What's the draw behind him?

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM Forums mobile app

He's young, has a decent motor, is reasonably athletic, but most of all looks the part of (tall, long, good frame). His shot also looks ok. And, because he's relatively new to the sport, ppl think he'll grow into learning the game... I'm less convinced

If he' grows another inch, he could be a Blake Griffin kind of PF.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,675

Post#1491 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Thu May 2, 2024 1:07 pm

Psubs wrote:

I would say he's like at minimum he's 6'3 FVV that gets more steals and a bit more blocks. The FG% would be closer to 44-45% just do to his height. Only question is would we be okay with a Lillard/McCollum small backcourt? With Scottie, Barrett and Poeltl the frontcourt would be way more solid than what the Blazers had.

He’s first on my draft board for the Spurs and Hornets
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1492 » by Psubs » Thu May 2, 2024 1:15 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
Psubs wrote:

He’s first on my draft board for the Spurs and Hornets

He would look nice with LaMelo and Miller. Wemby has such gravity that Sheppard would get a lot of open 3's. :nod:

PG Reed - TreJones
SG Vassell - Champagnie - Branham
SF Sochan - Keldon
PF Wemby - Sochan
C Collins - Bassey

This team might be knocking on the play-in door next season.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior

Post#1493 » by Gavin_TDThree » Thu May 2, 2024 1:43 pm

Psubs wrote:

6'3 FVV is borderline all-star each year if not a good high end starter. The backcourt fit is tough. It'd mean that everyone else's defence has to be special. Barnes playing the free safety role on defence is huge. Barret is the one I struggle with fit wise unless his defence improves
Gavin_TDThree
Senior

Post#1494 » by Gavin_TDThree » Thu May 2, 2024 1:44 pm

with Topic being back, can someone sell me on him?

Is he just a bigger Dragic or is there more there?
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,689

Post#1495 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 2, 2024 2:04 pm

Gavin_TDThree wrote:with Topic being back, can someone sell me on him?

Is he just a bigger Dragic or is there more there?

I don't see Dragic game at all lol I dont know why he's being compared to him.

He's a true advantage creator. Makes high level decisions in the pick and roll for his teammates or gets to the rim where he finished just under 70%. Can't shoot from the outside but has a high FT %. Defense he will get torched. Turning 19 in August. height 6'6' neutral wingspan.

With the modern game there will be a place for him but he needs the right fit to expand his game and amplify his strengths.

I think SA's list is Sarr, Reed, Topic .. that's a nice fit for him with Wemby and Pop.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,495

Post#1496 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:31 pm

If I'm the Spurs, it would come down to either Sheppard or Dillingham and that is a TOUGH call.

Sheppard's advanced numbers and all around ability to impact the game is really convincing, ngl. If anyone can turn that into a superstar type player, it's going to be Pop. But Dillingham is also an underrated passer and pick and roll ball handler. He's also an electric scorer and very good shooter on volume.

I think the Hornets will go Castle and I like that fit for them. If he turns out to actually be 6'6, he's exactly the tough nosed defensive glue wing that'll fit with Ball and Miller.

I'm seriously hoping that Carter will be there at #19 but if not, I'd settle for Collier.

The guy I think is in for a surprising tumble is JaKobe Walter.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,295

Post#1497 » by ItsDanger » Thu May 2, 2024 4:13 pm

MainEvent wrote:These guys who watched the nike hoop summit practices and game don't sound too impressed with what they saw from Chomche
@9min

People were pumping this guy up before seeing him against better competition for whatever reason. Now, they see he still has to improve a lot. So, if they take him on as a project, need to work on his game for 2 years probably. I don't see him as a C unless he gets a lot stronger. Not high on these 4/5 types unless it's for the bench.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,755

Post#1498 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Thu May 2, 2024 5:00 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:If I'm the Spurs, it would come down to either Sheppard or Dillingham and that is a TOUGH call.

Sheppard's advanced numbers and all around ability to impact the game is really convincing, ngl. If anyone can turn that into a superstar type player, it's going to be Pop. But Dillingham is also an underrated passer and pick and roll ball handler. He's also an electric scorer and very good shooter on volume.

I think the Hornets will go Castle and I like that fit for them. If he turns out to actually be 6'6, he's exactly the tough nosed defensive glue wing that'll fit with Ball and Miller.

I'm seriously hoping that Carter will be there at #19 but if not, I'd settle for Collier.

The guy I think is in for a surprising tumble is JaKobe Walter.

If both were to be projected as starters Sheppard is more likely to be a good piece on a great team whereas Dillingham will hope to be a great piece on an average team. Because Rob's defense is so poor and there is a historical trend among guards in his mold to max out at +5 on offense his high end outcome would have him as a borderline all-star at his peak but even reaching that outcome would be dependent on elevating his 3PAr and improving as a driver + finisher and getting to the charity stripe a lot more.

Median outcome for Dillingham is something more like a smaller Tim Hardaway Jr. with passing chops which is what I feel he is more likely to max out as. I haven't seen the comparison made anywhere but when the tradeoff is made between Rob's shiftiness and Hardaway's size there are a lot of similarities in probable role and statistical production. I see similarly poor defensive efficiency, high 3PAr and low FTr all in Rob's future with likely similar shooting %'s to THJ (career 42/36/81).

Reed on the other hand offers more as he carries a ton of gravity as a shooter and can become a premiere floor spacer due to his shooting touch which is easily the best in the entire class and in recent memory, he has incredibly special touch on his jumper including the middy, his issue is he will need to play alongside a more adept ballhandler. Reed in ISO cannot achieve much unless it's against guards <6'3 where he was able to get his midrange jumper off on them. Jumbo guards and wings swallow him whole. It's highly reminiscent of FVV who sucked in ISO and sucked finishing at the rim much like Reed who gets swatted and denied routinely as a driver. Fred overdribbled with the ball in his hands whereas Reed routinely picked up his dribble, struggled to find an outlet and turned the ball over this year so he'll need to learn to at times do what Fred does when denied access to the rim and continue to dribble along the baseline and reset as a possession with a limited shot clock is better than a turnover. Ultimately it's better that we see more limited looks from him attempting to take it to the hole and he'll have to be cognizant of his limitations and how to overcome them instead of doubling down on them like FVV did. A team flat out should just not allow him to operate much in that manner except in order to keep defenses honest from time to time. All that said, if a team is smart enough they will run actions to take advantage of Reed's special shooting by enabling him with screens/DHO's beyond or within the 3pt line (he is very good at using screens to get shots off) and working on developing him as a movement shooter. Another big thing for Reed is that he has deep range and can increase his volume just by catching defenders off guard and unloading from deep a couple of times a game. This is actually a critical part of his offensive kit as he needs absolutely every advantage he can get in order to increase his shot volume and leave his winning imprint on a game.

Reed has a whole slew of defensive issues mainly related to not being disciplined but those can be cleaned up with work and he likely should refrain from leaving his feet to try to block shots at the NBA level or at least be smarter about when to attempt to. Overall he's one of the only players in the class with multiple outlier skills but he comes in a mold that places limitations in the NBA as an undersized guard and then even more limitations due to not being fast or physical. Reed's low end outcome involves him coming off the bench and Jared McCain has a higher floor because while undersized he is built like a tank and incredibly physical which is an important trait for an undersized guard, but McCain also lacks the multidimensionality of Reed even though his physical profile should make him a safer bet to have higher USG and shot volume. There's some mystery as to Reed's ultimate outcome but he has some special qualities to him that should be gambled on despite his physical profile. He could be some kind of weird TJ McConnell/FVV/mini-Klay hybrid which is pretty nice if it comes to fruition.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,375

Post#1499 » by canada_dry » Thu May 2, 2024 5:03 pm

Psubs wrote:

It is interesting that Podz had an A/T of around 1.5 at SC but it's 3 as a pro! :o I thought he'd be more like a SG/SF like Josh Hart but he's more of a SG/PG. Finding a starter level player at #19 like Podz, Jaquez and Jovic is pretty good. I guess we all want to find Tyrese Maxey level gets there.

Maybe Maxey and Quickley being both on Kentucky hurt their stocks like Sheppard and Dillingham off the bench. Just not enough PT to spread their wings. Sheppard is like sophomore age but Lillard went to a small school and was a senior.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html

It took Nash until age 26 to put up over 10 ppg. Reed could be a stronger, bouncier Nash. Nash had an A/T of around 1.6 his senior year. His 2.5 stls to only 1.9 to's can't be ignored.
Yea but nash was playing on a literally broken back and noone knew it.

Im high on Reed. But slow down lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#1500 » by God Squad » Thu May 2, 2024 6:45 pm

People are comparing these prospects to literal superstars when I'd be elated with getting a role player.

Return to Toronto Raptors