ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,175

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1621 » by PoundTown » Sun May 5, 2024 10:58 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:To me, where the draft really becomes interesting is if we're picking 4th or 6th

It's so hard to know what way Masai would go in that case

I think our big board is probably

Sarr
Rischarer
Holland
Cody
Matas

If we land top 6 I expect one of these guys to be selected by us

At 6 I'd be fine with any of those guys minus Cody. Risacher has clearly been bad recently but I can't deny the fact that if he puts it together his skillset perfectly fits the starting 5

Also Topic and Reed are definitely on their list in there somewhere just for the simple fact that they fit Darko ball so well

That Nikola Djursic fits Darko ball extremely well. Wonder if there is any interest in picking that kid, especially at 31. Wouldn't be a terrible idea if we keep our top 6, and delaying him a year. He has a lot of skill and looks to be a really nice secondary creator. Can't comment much on the defence, just going off youtube game highlights, but looks both skilled and he's productive stats wise.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,789

Post#1622 » by WuTang_OG » Sun May 5, 2024 11:07 pm

Its Sarr, Topic, Reed for me. Topic is so underrated rn its not even funny
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,241

Post#1623 » by HumbleRen » Sun May 5, 2024 11:40 pm

I know people are low on Rischarer but I don’t know man. That fluidity at that height is usually a good indicator for translating into the NBA.

I like him at 6.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,774

Post#1624 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon May 6, 2024 12:12 am

Raps should draft Topic but considering how many weak defensive players they now possess it would require them to seriously rethink their roster construction.

My worry is that they actually believe in Quickley and Barrett as serious starting pieces of an eventual contending team and will draft a more defensively capable player with that in mind instead of going BPA. Dick is also another issue to project as a starter with Topic manning the point.

If you run a Topic-Dick backcourt you will need a stronger perimeter defender than Scottie Barnes on the court with them. Barrett would be a disaster. It could work but we'd be talking about

PG - Topic
SG - Dick
SF - stud switchable perimeter defender needed w/ at least 36% shooting from deep
PF - Barnes
C - bigger rim protecting threat than Poeltl needed to cover for backcourt, preferably with at least potential to shoot

It's a shame because Donovan Clingan would be an interesting candidate to rotate screening actions for Topic with Barnes.

This would be a lineup I'd be excited about but it's theoretical assuming Dick continues to develop and Topic and Clingan get close enough to their upside peaks and Clingan stays healthy. Lots of BBIQ on the floor, elite P&R capability, an elite movement shooter, a lockdown perimeter defender and lockdown interior defender.

Barnes really needs to keep working on that 3 ball.

Anyway just an idea of the route they would need to go down somewhat if they take Topic and Dick actually develops real nicely. It's complicated any time you have to start masking weaknesses due to high USG player leans strictly towards OFF.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,523

Post#1625 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:34 am

Dalek wrote:Guard play again to me outweighs defense. Orlando has Suggs who is probably going to get 3rd team defense makes no difference against Garland and Mitchell. The offense is too fast and capable to shoot threes.

Jalen Brunson runs around his team like bumper cars and drops near 50 each playoff game.

Defense is good but you need elite guard play. I don't think Barrett can hit jumpers when needed, while Quickley can't finish well. Maybe he could be a Garland type, but we need a top scoring option.

Not sure if that is Dillingham but he is really close to that level. Problem is his size and weight. He looks too light.

Ja'Kobe Walter is capable but needs time to develop. His first half of the season was special but he hit a wall in higher level play.

Jaylon Tyson is a bit older but he has the skill but lacks a little of the top speed first step. In the NBA he has to play perfect offense like Brunson.

Devin Carter looked great in college but I just don't believe his low release jumper will translate.

In the second round KJ Simpson is really interesting as a high level scorer.

KJ Simpson is my currently secret sleeper in the second round. He's my leading preference there.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 542

Post#1626 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 6, 2024 12:35 am

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:Raps should draft Topic but considering how many weak defensive players they now possess it would require them to seriously rethink their roster construction.

My worry is that they actually believe in Quickley and Barrett as serious starting pieces of an eventual contending team and will draft a more defensively capable player with that in mind instead of going BPA. Dick is also another issue to project as a starter with Topic manning the point.

If you run a Topic-Dick backcourt you will need a stronger perimeter defender than Scottie Barnes on the court with them. Barrett would be a disaster. It could work but we'd be talking about

PG - Topic
SG - Dick
SF - stud switchable perimeter defender needed w/ at least 36% shooting from deep
PF - Barnes
C - bigger rim protecting threat than Poeltl needed to cover for backcourt, preferably with at least potential to shoot

It's a shame because Donovan Clingan would be an interesting candidate to rotate screening actions for Topic with Barnes.

This would be a lineup I'd be excited about but it's theoretical assuming Dick continues to develop and Topic and Clingan get close enough to their upside peaks and Clingan stays healthy. Lots of BBIQ on the floor, elite P&R capability, an elite movement shooter, a lockdown perimeter defender and lockdown interior defender.

Barnes really needs to keep working on that 3 ball.

Anyway just an idea of the route they would need to go down somewhat if they take Topic and Dick actually develops real nicely. It's complicated any time you have to start masking weaknesses due to high USG player leans strictly towards OFF.

This is next level glazing of Topic, good lord.

I'm lower on Topic than a lot of the more vocal members on this board but it's straight up asinine to take the mystery box when Quickley is a known talent, can shoot and defend (at least he can, his defense has not been very good since coming to Toronto) and his playmaking has taken a notable leap as the team's PG. Frankly, adding a ball-dominant guard like Topic to this team will only serve to hamper the development of Scottie and Quickley, not to mention the spacing around Scottie and Quickley will be all the worse.

There is no guarantee Topic becomes a good shooter; Quickley shot 39.5% on 7 with us.

There is no guarantee Topic becomes a positive defender; Quickley hasn't been great on that end with us but he's shown himself of being a capable defender.

Hell, there's no guarantee Topic's passing translates to the NBA either; Quickley is averaging 6.8 assists on 1.8 turnovers, a career-high.

There's definitely no world where Topic is able to match IQ's first step, i'm not debating that.

If you have to revamp your entire starting lineup just to start Topic, then maybe the problem is that Topic is a terrible fit for this team instead of the roster. You don't revamp your roster to accommodate a non-generational rookie, especially before he's done anything in the NBA.

HumbleRen wrote:I know people are low on Rischarer but I don’t know man. That fluidity at that height is usually a good indicator for translating into the NBA.

I like him at 6.

If he falls to 6, he's at the top of my list - I don't expect Sarr to be there and we really need size on the wings, not to mention positive defenders on/off the bench.

Serious question: Who is our best bench defender after Ochai?
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#1627 » by TNRaps4life » Mon May 6, 2024 1:48 am

Let's keep the pick first. For now focus should be on 19 and 31. Top 6 is a bonus.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 542

Post#1628 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 6, 2024 3:43 am

TNRaps4life wrote:Let's keep the pick first. For now focus should be on 19 and 31. Top 6 is a bonus.

Sir/Madam, this is the "fighting over hypotheticals" thread where we hope for X or Y player and then end up with the FO going off the board.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,708

Post#1629 » by Psubs » Mon May 6, 2024 3:56 am

All young team! Young Ones 3.0

#6 - Ron Holland 18 until July 7
#19 - Carlton Carrington 18 until July 21
#31 - Ulrich Chomche 18 until Dec 30

PG IQ - JFL/Carrington
SG Dick - Barrett - Agbaji
SF Barrett - Holland - Agbaji
PF Barnes - Holland/Boucher
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Chomche

Each player has time to develop and earn their playing time.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,774

Post#1630 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon May 6, 2024 4:09 am

There's no guarantee with anything in the draft. There's also no guarantee Quickley will ever have a 2.0 BPM as a starter. His TS% for a guy who shoots at his volume is crap because of all the bricks from 2 he throws up. Some of his advanced numbers are certainly not a deviation from the mean and instead related to him seeing the floor against more starting caliber lineups.

I'm not putting Topic on my DND list for the Raptors because of some fantasy idea of what "Darko-Ball" is and worrying that he'll interfere with the development of a 25 year old 6'2 guard who is a mediocre scorer and advantage creator.

On top of that I'm sure Darko is salivating over the chance to coach Topic and would treat him like a son and put an exceptional amount of time into his development.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,867

Post#1631 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 6, 2024 4:11 am

I could see the Raps targeting KJ Simpson as a potential Frederick VanVleet
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,867

Post#1632 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 6, 2024 4:12 am

The Spurs probably take Topic with the Raps pick and turn him into Ginobili
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,815

Post#1633 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon May 6, 2024 4:20 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:The Spurs probably take Topic with the Raps pick and turn him into Ginobili

Yeah, just like they took Keldon Johnson with the Raps pick and turned him into another Kawhi.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,523

Post#1634 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:30 am

WuTang_OG wrote:Its Sarr, Topic, Reed for me. Topic is so underrated rn its not even funny

He doesn't defend or shoot. Can I get help understanding?
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,789

Post#1635 » by WuTang_OG » Mon May 6, 2024 4:45 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Its Sarr, Topic, Reed for me. Topic is so underrated rn its not even funny

He doesn't defend or shoot. Can I get help understanding?

viewtopic.php?p=112842482#p112842482

Read last 5
Pages too
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#1636 » by Dalek » Mon May 6, 2024 5:52 am

Deep sleeper: Jarin Stevenson, Alabama
6'11 wing; stretch PF

Super raw, but this is a five-star guy that comes from a bball family and has the makings of being a Jalen McDaniels type. No big numbers from his college season, but in March he shot 35% from three in March. He also had a huge March Madness game against Clemson 19 points (5-8 from three). It is a single game, but the fact that Nate Oats played him in a Final Four situation means he trusted him.

;ab_channel=AlabamaRoundballGuy

He needs to be developed but his size and fluidity pops. In interviews he seems like he is humble and has a good head on his shoulders. He just looks like an NBA guy and with him being 18 he has time. If Toronto is patient he might be a diamond at 31.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,914

Post#1637 » by Thaddy » Mon May 6, 2024 6:35 am

I'm not a fan of Topic. The bad defense and no shot means he'll need the ball in his hands. He's not talented enough to be a championship level core piece.

In a weak draft going with projects probably won't work out. It would be a good idea to get high floor players that can contribute to winning basketball. We will want to field a competitive team for next year if we don't convey a pick.

At 6th the surefire high floor players are Sarr, Holland, Dillingham, Clingan, and Sheppard. I would guess we could come out with Dillingham or Sheppard. It would secure strong guard play for several years.

At 19th I would try to get a skilled big like Filipowski. He's the perfect center to play with Barnes. The size, shooting, rim protection, rebounding, and offensive feel would maximize Scottie.

At 31st I would get an NBA level defender and go from there. I would go with Klintman if he's here. The best assets in the league have size and shooting. That's what I would be drafting towards.

Poeltl - Filipowski
Barnes - Olynyk - Klintman
Barrett - Agbaji
Dick - Dillingham
Quickely - Dillingham

We would be able to play line up's with two 7 footers and 2 guards. Along with a forward that puts pressure on the paint like Barnes or Barrett.

Filipowski / Olynyk / Barrett / IQ / Dillingham

That would be one of the better line up's we could put out when we want to rest Barnes.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,930

Post#1638 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:38 am

All the right age for upside. There are so any 23 year olds in this draft.

So Sarr at 1 or 2, Risacher at 2 or 3, Topic at 3 or 4 and Cody Williams at 5 or 6. If the others are gone.

At 19 McCain and Tyler Smith are still young. The only 22 year old 'Id pick at 19+ is Zac Edey.

At 31 Pacome Dadiet is super young.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,737

Post#1639 » by Yallbecrazy » Mon May 6, 2024 11:49 am

fit be damned, Topic is #1 for me. He has the highest potential in the draft for me, if it pans out, but the fit is awful you could get more selling a 21-22 year old borderline allstar on a rookie deal at 60 cents on the dollar then you can a high end role player.
(we'd probably sell Quickley instead in that scenario)
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,014

Post#1640 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon May 6, 2024 11:57 am

I don't buy this "Topic can't shoot" angle, either. He shot just fine last year. He's money from the line. He takes 'tough' shots for a kid. Personally I was thrilled to see the NBA's list of consensus top 6 players, because I'd only take Topic top 6 with that list. If we hang on we're probably going to get a great shot at one of Holland, Sheppard, Dillingham, Topic and avoid role player profile guys like Castle, Clingan and Sarr.

Return to Toronto Raptors