ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1401 » by Thaddy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:34 pm

tdotrep2 wrote:so is dink pate eligible or not?

There isn't much to be excited about with Pate. He's been bad the whole season and shown no improvement. I would add him to the Summer League roster but that's about it.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,232

Post#1402 » by niQ » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 234

Post#1403 » by dohboy_24 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:33 pm

Thaddy wrote:

There isn't much to be excited about with Pate. He's been bad the whole season and shown no improvement. I would add him to the Summer League roster but that's about it.

If Dink Pate is eligible for the 2024 draft, he's going to get picked in the lottery. More likely than not, he'll be a top 10 pick with an outside chance he'll be selected among the top 4 or 6 picks.

In his first season with Ignite, Pate averaged 8.0 points, 2.9 rebounds, and 3.8 assists. He also threw in 0.6 steals per for good measure – his defense is an underrated strength aided by his length and height, as well as his lateral quickness.

The athleticism pops off the screen, though he's not so much explosive as he is smooth and in control of his body. This skillset really shines in transition, where Pate is an absolute menace. His passing off of a live dribble in the break leads to some pretty impressive highlight-reel assists.

The rise of the "jumbo creator" in the NBA has flipped the basketball development world on its head in the last 10 or so years especially. There are the obvious Magic Johnson and LeBron James types from earlier on; even Lamar Odom fits this mold to an extent.

But now, teams are all seeking gigantic point guards. Luka Dončić, James Harden, Cade Cunningham, Josh Giddey, Anthony Black, LaMelo Ball – the list goes on. The point being that every team is looking for their version of this archetype.

Dink Pate is that kind of player. He has a 3.9-to-2.8 assist-to-turnover ratio, so the facilitation is real with him. He has demonstrated the ability to manipulate the defense off of the bounce, allowing for easier scoring opportunities both in the half-court and in transition.

SOURCE: https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/a-look-at-ignite-guard-dink-pate-2024-nba-draft

When asked which NBA player(s) he models his game after, Pate immediately named an all-time classic at the point guard position.

"Penny Hardaway. He will forever be my favorite point guard to ever touch a basketball. I talk to Penny pretty much every other month. He was a big point guard, a 6-foot-8 point guard who passes, dunks — pretty much the same things that I can do."

But, in a rather bold statement, Pate says he wants to take it up a notch.

"I plan on taking what I can do to another level."

There is no knocking Pate's confidence. Whether you believe in him or not, it's clear G League Ignite's youngest player is fully comfortable in his own skin.

Pate wants to play to his unique strengths. At 6-foot-7, he's an athletic playmaker who perfectly fits the mold of today's league. Every team is looking for the next tall, athletic wing who can check multiple boxes. Pate can create off drives, shoot off the bounce, and defend multiple positions.

He is raw, there's no doubt about it. But, the base-level skill set and athletic profile are extremely tantalizing. Pate wants no misconceptions about his position either. He considers himself a point guard through and through.

"I’m a point guard, I don’t to go out and do other things I know I’m not good at. I’m a very good passer, so that’s one thing I showcase, whether scouts are there or not there. I just want to showcase the things I know I can do well."

The Penny comparison is apt. That is a high bar to set — Hardaway made four All-Star teams and earned All-NBA honors thrice. He was 6-foot-8, a walking highlight reel who could dazzle with flashy passes, vicious crossovers, and rim-rocking slams. But, it's generally good for top prospects to aspire to greatness. If the goal is to thrive as an athletic, jumbo-sized playmaker in the NBA, it's hard to think of a better role model.

Pate also has a few modern stars who he holds in particularly high esteem.

"I like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. He’s another 6-foot-7 point guard. I think his game is way more finesse than mine... I like [Paul George] too."

Again, Pate is spot-on with the influences. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has mesmerized the NBA fandom with his dizzying finishes and unmatched gear-shift ability. He can change speeds on a dime, generating space with sheer creativity and length. If Pate can adapt even a sliver of SGA's on-ball elusiveness over time, he is going to drastically outperform draft projections.

SOURCE: https://fansided.com/posts/next-penny-hardaway-2025-nba-draft-prospect-dink-pate
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Carrington, McCain, Walter, Carter, Furphy, Alexander, Simpson, Kolek
F: Salaun, Flowers, Smith, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Missi, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#1404 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:41 am

A guy I am keeping on my radar is this British baller name Quinn Ellis. He is playing for an Italian team called Trento and he is putting up impressive numbers as a just turned 21 year-old in Eurocup play:

16 games
61 TS%
30 AST%
19 TO%
14 DRB%

9 PPG / 3 REB / 4 AST in 21 mins is pretty similar to what Zacharie Risacher is doing. He's a lefty PG and really reminds me of Derrick White with strength, size and rebounding. He is off the main radars, but his poise and productivity are interesting. He also hit two game winners this year.

;ab_channel=TangramSportsManagement

;ab_channel=LBA
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,689

Post#1405 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg
S ID
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,118

Post#1406 » by S ID » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:48 am

Thaddy
Analyst

Post#1407 » by Thaddy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:47 am

dohboy_24 wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

If Dink Pate is eligible for the 2024 draft, he's going to get picked in the lottery. More likely than not, he'll be a top 10 pick with an outside chance he'll be selected among the top 4 or 6 picks.

In his first season with Ignite, Pate averaged 8.0 points, 2.9 rebounds, and 3.8 assists. He also threw in 0.6 steals per for good measure – his defense is an underrated strength aided by his length and height, as well as his lateral quickness.

The athleticism pops off the screen, though he's not so much explosive as he is smooth and in control of his body. This skillset really shines in transition, where Pate is an absolute menace. His passing off of a live dribble in the break leads to some pretty impressive highlight-reel assists.

The rise of the "jumbo creator" in the NBA has flipped the basketball development world on its head in the last 10 or so years especially. There are the obvious Magic Johnson and LeBron James types from earlier on; even Lamar Odom fits this mold to an extent.

But now, teams are all seeking gigantic point guards. Luka Dončić, James Harden, Cade Cunningham, Josh Giddey, Anthony Black, LaMelo Ball – the list goes on. The point being that every team is looking for their version of this archetype.

Dink Pate is that kind of player. He has a 3.9-to-2.8 assist-to-turnover ratio, so the facilitation is real with him. He has demonstrated the ability to manipulate the defense off of the bounce, allowing for easier scoring opportunities both in the half-court and in transition.

SOURCE: https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/a-look-at-ignite-guard-dink-pate-2024-nba-draft

When asked which NBA player(s) he models his game after, Pate immediately named an all-time classic at the point guard position.

"Penny Hardaway. He will forever be my favorite point guard to ever touch a basketball. I talk to Penny pretty much every other month. He was a big point guard, a 6-foot-8 point guard who passes, dunks — pretty much the same things that I can do."

But, in a rather bold statement, Pate says he wants to take it up a notch.

"I plan on taking what I can do to another level."

There is no knocking Pate's confidence. Whether you believe in him or not, it's clear G League Ignite's youngest player is fully comfortable in his own skin.

Pate wants to play to his unique strengths. At 6-foot-7, he's an athletic playmaker who perfectly fits the mold of today's league. Every team is looking for the next tall, athletic wing who can check multiple boxes. Pate can create off drives, shoot off the bounce, and defend multiple positions.

He is raw, there's no doubt about it. But, the base-level skill set and athletic profile are extremely tantalizing. Pate wants no misconceptions about his position either. He considers himself a point guard through and through.

"I’m a point guard, I don’t to go out and do other things I know I’m not good at. I’m a very good passer, so that’s one thing I showcase, whether scouts are there or not there. I just want to showcase the things I know I can do well."

The Penny comparison is apt. That is a high bar to set — Hardaway made four All-Star teams and earned All-NBA honors thrice. He was 6-foot-8, a walking highlight reel who could dazzle with flashy passes, vicious crossovers, and rim-rocking slams. But, it's generally good for top prospects to aspire to greatness. If the goal is to thrive as an athletic, jumbo-sized playmaker in the NBA, it's hard to think of a better role model.

Pate also has a few modern stars who he holds in particularly high esteem.

"I like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. He’s another 6-foot-7 point guard. I think his game is way more finesse than mine... I like [Paul George] too."

Again, Pate is spot-on with the influences. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has mesmerized the NBA fandom with his dizzying finishes and unmatched gear-shift ability. He can change speeds on a dime, generating space with sheer creativity and length. If Pate can adapt even a sliver of SGA's on-ball elusiveness over time, he is going to drastically outperform draft projections.

SOURCE: https://fansided.com/posts/next-penny-hardaway-2025-nba-draft-prospect-dink-pate

No one is taking him in the lottery. He is terrible compared to Gleaguers. He is two years away from being mid at the Gleague level. Probably another 2 years away from being a playable NBA talent.

Comparing himself to Penny is far fetched. He's more of a poverty Caris LeVert.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,694

Post#1408 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:37 pm

Thaddy wrote:No one is taking him in the lottery. He is terrible compared to Gleaguers. He is two years away from being mid at the Gleague level. Probably another 2 years away from being a playable NBA talent.

Comparing himself to Penny is far fetched. He's more of a poverty Caris LeVert.

More like post-injury Shaun Livingston. I would take a flier on him with #19.
Thaddy
Analyst

Post#1409 » by Thaddy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:38 pm

S ID wrote:

He has 0 finishing ability and no explosiveness. It's very concerning. The size, shooting, and ball handling is nice though.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 723

Post#1410 » by TGM » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:59 pm

Is it me or does Ulrich Chomche's game reminds me a lot of Giannis.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#1411 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:03 pm

I'd like to think Tijane Salaun, Zac Edey and Tyler Smith will all be available at #19. That Pacome Dadiet, Ryan Dunn and Jalen Bridges all there at 31.

Wonder if there is any truth to Wiggins availability. Not a bad Trent jr. replacement.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#1412 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:15 pm

TGM wrote:Is it me or does Ulrich Chomche's game reminds me a lot of Giannis.

I don't see that too much other than being tall and a physical force. From what I watched of Giannis as a teen was him playing as a point-forward and having a special passing and finishing ability.

Chomche seems to be more of a three and blocks kind of player. I see some Bobby Portis to his game which is like a 10-15 year type of vet, which would be great to draft if you have time to develop the player.

Here is some good background on him. Can't believe he comes from a family of 16 and raised on a farm. The typical late bloomer, but he has really dedicated himself to development:

“His biggest strength is defense,” Traore says. “First of all, his size and length—you cannot teach that. He was born with it. It’s a gift. Great rebounder. Great shot blocker. The timing is exceptional. And his lateral movement, being able to defend, that’s already a gift for him. I think that’s half the battle for him. He’s adding a nice three-pointer. He can shoot from the corner and make them consistently. During the games, when we need it, he’s able to make those shots.”

Above all else, Chomche is “a winner,” says Traore. He does the little things and always finds a way to make an impact, even if it doesn’t show up in the box score. “I would be surprised if Ulrich went his entire career in the NBA without a championship,” Traore continues. “Having some of the best coaches in the world work with him every day, Ulrich will be a starter in the NBA for over a decade. That’s who he is.”

https://www.slamonline.com/nba-draft/nba-academy-africa-nba-draft/ulrich-chomche/
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 592

Post#1413 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

I don't see that at all. Giannis was a blur in the open court with impressive coordination and fluidity with the ball. His feel for the game stood out. Chomche has a very poor handle, shows no sign of being able to put the ball on the floor, and looks lost on both ends most of the time.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,538

Post#1414 » by mtcan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:52 pm

grant101 wrote:

I don't see that at all. Giannis was a blur in the open court with impressive coordination and fluidity with the ball. His feel for the game stood out. Chomche has a very poor handle, shows no sign of being able to put the ball on the floor, and looks lost on both ends most of the time.

Wow...the hyperbole on the comparisons. There is only one Giannis. What next?...we compare the next guy to Lebron lol?

I remember nbadraft.net and their crazy player comps.

I remember them comparing DeShawn Stevenson to Michael Jordan. That sure aged well...lol
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#1415 » by God Squad » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:56 pm

Even now, I'm not too fond of this draft. I'll be very happy if we leave with 3 rotation players.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#1416 » by PoundTown » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 pm

Thaddy wrote:
S ID wrote:

He has 0 finishing ability and no explosiveness. It's very concerning. The size, shooting, and ball handling is nice though.

Still, that is serious range on very good percentages for a very young player with good height and length. He also changes directions laterally, gets in a good low stance and seems to have good instincts defensively. He could be like cam Johnson with better passing, or pre injury Otto porter jr type player. The shooting alone is very valuable. If he’s there at 19 I’d take him, just don’t think he is. I’m also open to furphy there.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,494

Post#1417 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:23 pm

God Squad wrote:Even now, I'm not too fond of this draft. I'll be very happy if we leave with 3 rotation players.

Three quality rotation plays would be huge for this team. Anything more than that is a homerun.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,689

Post#1418 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:32 pm

Lakers at #55 hoping Bronny still there lol
There's gotta be someone infront who wants to fk up the Lakers and take him
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,694

Post#1419 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:32 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:I'd like to think Tijane Salaun, Zac Edey and Tyler Smith will all be available at #19. That Pacome Dadiet, Ryan Dunn and Jalen Bridges all there at 31.

Wonder if there is any truth to Wiggins availability. Not a bad Trent jr. replacement.

It would make the lineup even bigger moving Barrett to SG and Wiggins at SF.

Wiggins, Moody and cash for Ochai Agbaji, Boucher and McDaniels (waived). Draft Castle or Topic to come off the bench as PG/SG and earn a starting spot the following season and then can move Barrett back to SF and Wiggins to the bench as SF/PF.

Let Brown and Trent walk. Use some money to offer at Obi Toppin to pry him away from Indy.

PG IQ - Castle/Topic - JFL
SG Barrett - Moody - Castle/Topic
SF Wiggins - Toppin - #19(or 31)
PF Barnes - Toppin - Wiggins
C Poeltl - Olynyk - #19 (or 31)

This team looks 2nd only to the Celtics.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,282

Post#1420 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 pm

Dalek wrote:

I don't see that too much other than being tall and a physical force. From what I watched of Giannis as a teen was him playing as a point-forward and having a special passing and finishing ability.

Chomche seems to be more of a three and blocks kind of player. I see some Bobby Portis to his game which is like a 10-15 year type of vet, which would be great to draft if you have time to develop the player.

Here is some good background on him. Can't believe he comes from a family of 16 and raised on a farm. The typical late bloomer, but he has really dedicated himself to development:

“His biggest strength is defense,” Traore says. “First of all, his size and length—you cannot teach that. He was born with it. It’s a gift. Great rebounder. Great shot blocker. The timing is exceptional. And his lateral movement, being able to defend, that’s already a gift for him. I think that’s half the battle for him. He’s adding a nice three-pointer. He can shoot from the corner and make them consistently. During the games, when we need it, he’s able to make those shots.”

Above all else, Chomche is “a winner,” says Traore. He does the little things and always finds a way to make an impact, even if it doesn’t show up in the box score. “I would be surprised if Ulrich went his entire career in the NBA without a championship,” Traore continues. “Having some of the best coaches in the world work with him every day, Ulrich will be a starter in the NBA for over a decade. That’s who he is.”

https://www.slamonline.com/nba-draft/nba-academy-africa-nba-draft/ulrich-chomche/

I fully expect Chomche to be called up as a Raptors pick - the only question is whether its 19 or 31st (or any other pick if we trade for another one).

Return to Toronto Raptors