ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,763

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1721 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Wed May 8, 2024 12:42 am

I am irrationally high on McCain. He's the kind of player you want on your team in high stakes situations and he showed some of that in the NCAA tournament. He's a guy who's gonna come through for the team when it matters, he's just really damn good at creating space and looks for himself. Could easily be a top volume 3 shooter and he has the willingness, instincts and frame to be a guy who grabs 6-7 REB/36 from the guard position. I don't think he makes it to 19 but it helps how loaded a lot of teams picking early are at the guard position. There's something special about him. The gamble is whether or not he has more to give than what we saw at Duke and I think he does.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,326

Post#1722 » by Dalek » Wed May 8, 2024 12:59 am

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:I am irrationally high on McCain. He's the kind of player you want on your team in high stakes situations and he showed some of that in the NCAA tournament. He's a guy who's gonna come through for the team when it matters, he's just really damn good at creating space and looks for himself. Could easily be a top volume 3 shooter and he has the willingness, instincts and frame to be a guy who grabs 6-7 REB/36 from the guard position. I don't think he makes it to 19 but it helps how loaded a lot of teams picking early are at the guard position. There's something special about him. The gamble is whether or not he has more to give than what we saw at Duke and I think he does.

That is a fair assessment of McCain. I agree that there is something more there. I just like that he isn't a guy I think needs to bulk up as a guard.

He has a stocky build and it shows on his defense being able to fight and dig for steals. If we move on from Trent he makes a lot of sense. This team needs shooting and the spacing it provides.

He also seems like a 0.5 type. He doesn't pound the rock at all. It is max 1-2 dribbles before he makes a pass.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,763

Post#1723 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Wed May 8, 2024 1:11 am

Dalek wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:I am irrationally high on McCain. He's the kind of player you want on your team in high stakes situations and he showed some of that in the NCAA tournament. He's a guy who's gonna come through for the team when it matters, he's just really damn good at creating space and looks for himself. Could easily be a top volume 3 shooter and he has the willingness, instincts and frame to be a guy who grabs 6-7 REB/36 from the guard position. I don't think he makes it to 19 but it helps how loaded a lot of teams picking early are at the guard position. There's something special about him. The gamble is whether or not he has more to give than what we saw at Duke and I think he does.

That is a fair assessment of McCain. I agree that there is something more there. I just like that he isn't a guy I think needs to bulk up as a guard.

He has a stocky build and it shows on his defense being able to fight and dig for steals. If we move on from Trent he makes a lot of sense. This team needs shooting and the spacing it provides.

He also seems like a 0.5 type. He doesn't pound the rock at all. It is max 1-2 dribbles before he makes a pass.

McCain is a bull, he has Lowry-like strength. Nobody is going to push him around.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 528

Post#1724 » by CazOnReal » Wed May 8, 2024 1:30 am

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Dalek wrote:

McCain is a bull, he has Lowry-like strength. Nobody is going to push him around.

Unironically, the Bulls should draft him and see if anyone will take that Blazers 1st for Lonzo
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#1725 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 8, 2024 3:12 am

I like McCain.

It's tough to watch the playoffs and not just think Quickley has to be our only little guy and then it's all 6'5 and above guys, but the truth is we just need to get BPAs and add assets to this team even if that later means moving Quickley or McCain to get bigger or Barrett to get a better defender there or whatever.
Where's the D?
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#1726 » by CazOnReal » Wed May 8, 2024 4:12 am

Ell Curry wrote:I like McCain.

It's tough to watch the playoffs and not just think Quickley has to be our only little guy and then it's all 6'5 and above guys, but the truth is we just need to get BPAs and add assets to this team even if that later means moving Quickley or McCain to get bigger or Barrett to get a better defender there or whatever.

Unless you're an elite defender relative to your size (VanVleet & Lowry closing out games in the 2019 playoffs, IT & Dumars winning back-to-back), surrounded by elite defenders who can cover for a small backcourt or you're a generational talent like Curry or I-Thomas (both of whom were surrounded by elite defenders throughout most of their peak) it's really hard to win on the highest level with two guards 6'3 or under, especially after with teams moving towards larger guards and wings.

The smallest starting backcourt to ever win was, to my knowledge, the Bad Boy Pistons with Dumars and Thomas, and there's a lot of era-specific context to that back-to-back such as handchecking being legal at the time/defense being way, way more physical than what's allowed nowadays which makes them even more of an outlier.

Honestly, I think the more pertinent question is whether or not Quickley can get back to the level he was on defense coming off the Knicks bench.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,847

Post#1727 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed May 8, 2024 4:24 am

What y'all think of this Jonathan Furphy fella
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#1728 » by CazOnReal » Wed May 8, 2024 4:42 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:What y'all think of this Jonathan Furphy fella

Doesn't really address any of our needs.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,847

Post#1729 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed May 8, 2024 4:45 am

Carrington it is
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,215

Post#1730 » by HumbleRen » Wed May 8, 2024 4:51 am

CazOnReal wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:I like McCain.

Honestly, I think the more pertinent question is whether or not Quickley can get back to the level he was on defense coming off the Knicks bench.

I think that’s a Darko question. RJ’s and IQ’s defence fell off a cliff after being in our system.

I don’t think that’s a player thing, our defensive system or whatever it is they have isn’t really good imo.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,503

Post#1731 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:58 am

CazOnReal wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Unironically, the Bulls should draft him and see if anyone will take that Blazers 1st for Lonzo

The last thing the Bulls need is another guard. They'll be looking at a wing or a big, I'd imagine. I could see them going with Filipowski, Williams or Holland if he falls that far down.

Also might not even be worth using a first to move Lonzo. Lonzo's deal is expiring at the end of next season, DeMar could be leaving and they have the Vuc and Lavine contracts on their books. If they're going to spend a first to offload some salary, they'd be better off doing it with one of those guys.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,503

Post#1732 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:00 am

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He doesn't do anything different than Dick does and we already have him.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,898

Post#1733 » by Thaddy » Wed May 8, 2024 7:15 am

If we keep the 6th pick I would trade down. We'll want to field a competitive team so we don't give up a top 10 pick in a stronger draft.

6th + Brown + Boucher + McDaniels for Brogdon + Williams + 13th

Then draft Filipowski (13), McCain (19), and Klintman (31)

Poeltl - Olynyk - Williams
Filipowski - Klintman
Barnes - Dick - Agbaji
Barrett - McCain
Quickely - Brogdon
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,921

Post#1734 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:43 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:

The last thing the Bulls need is another guard. They'll be looking at a wing or a big, I'd imagine. I could see them going with Filipowski, Williams or Holland if he falls that far down.

Also might not even be worth using a first to move Lonzo. Lonzo's deal is expiring at the end of next season, DeMar could be leaving and they have the Vuc and Lavine contracts on their books. If they're going to spend a first to offload some salary, they'd be better off doing it with one of those guys.

Lonzo picked just up his option. Nice way to make a living. Bulls might be stuck with that hardship. I think Raps should take risks. Not Bruno level Hail Mary level but upside selections at positions where there is the most talent. Long wings and bigs seems like the play. All we need is a steady back up point guard to run the bench. Free agency should solve that.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,735

Post#1735 » by Yallbecrazy » Wed May 8, 2024 12:06 pm

To be an effective starting big in the NBA you pretty much need 3 of the following 4 traits:
Scoring (either shooting or in the post. Both works too)
Athleticism(combination of movement, strength, and length)
Instincts(ability to rotate and protect rim, not foul, also rebounding)
Passing.

There are lots of athletic bigs drafted all the time based on potential that never become anything. Make sure they strongly check two of the above boxes and aren't hopeless in the other two if you're going to draft them with a 1st.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#1736 » by InfraRedshaw » Wed May 8, 2024 12:25 pm

does it feel weird to have the lottery on a sunday to anyone else?
I know its like a half hour program, but like damn, put that junt in primetime
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,644

Post#1737 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:03 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He doesn't do anything different than Dick does and we already have him.

What's wrong with having 2 movement shooters who can do a little more with the ball?

In Raptor Ball I Trust
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,808

Post#1738 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 8, 2024 1:12 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:

2 Dicks are better than 1
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,808

Post#1739 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 8, 2024 1:13 pm

More days until the lottery….
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,700

Post#1740 » by Psubs » Wed May 8, 2024 1:32 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:Unironically, the Bulls should draft him and see if anyone will take that Blazers 1st for Lonzo

Lonzo picked just up his option. Nice way to make a living. Bulls might be stuck with that hardship. I think Raps should take risks. Not Bruno level Hail Mary level but upside selections at positions where there is the most talent. Long wings and bigs seems like the play. All we need is a steady back up point guard to run the bench. Free agency should solve that.

Ochai Agbaji, Chris Boucher and McDaniels (waive) and #19 for Lonzo and #11

Bulls get a PF and should still be able to get another big at #19 like Missi, Tyler Smith or Kel'el Ware.

Return to Toronto Raptors