ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,759

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1561 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Fri May 3, 2024 9:57 pm

The top of my board is pretty much fixed it's just the order of the particular players I have and it has been quite fluid between 2-5 and 6-12.

1. Topic

Topic is firmly in place at #1 and has been for a while for me now.

2. Sarr

I still am debating Clingan and Holland here as I have concerns about Sarr but will be following pre-draft process to get a better idea of what Sarr is made of.

3. Clingan

He's smart, mobile, massive and long. Just does his job (enabling teammates and defending the paint) relentlessly on the court and is very consistent. Just a very talented player but I'm worried about potential for injury due to size so it's hard to say where he stands as an investment compared to Sarr.

4. Holland

My sweet spot for Ron is around tail end of high upside picks. At 4 he's boom or bust depending on a ton of factors including correcting his balance issues as a driver and improving his shooting. He doesn't have the athleticism and talent the Thompson twins had but he's 80% of them in most departments at 18 with at least the potential to possess a serviceable shot which makes a big difference.

5. Sheppard

The reasonable high upside players have run dry and this is where I think Reed should go.

6. Filipowski

A hot take for some but has improved greatly from Fr. to So. year and is extremely talented despite holes in his game.

7. Risacher

Will need to work with a shooting coach but it's his defense that appeals to me more than anything right now. Anything higher than here is too rich for a non-creator with no clear outlier traits.

8. McCain

I'd go as high as 6 with McCain but the main debate is between him and Risacher. Ultimately Risacher's defensive potential and dimensions win out right now but McCain is a superior shooter and might actually have higher upside. I'll have to think about it more.

9. Buzelis

A project who will need to become a lights-out shooter to become a winning player in the NBA. He does have a bag and is multidimensional w/ good dimensions but his whole game needs a ton of cleaning up. I'll take him after the role player that I like w/ some degree of upside cluster.

10. Missi

Mystery box but phenomenal athlete who in my estimation played excellently given his limited experience playing basketball.

11. Dillingham

I'm not a fan of the archetype and think he truly could become one of the 5 worst defenders in the entire league but he does have clutch factor to him, is a Kentucky guard and plays with fire on offense so he needs to come off the board here.

12. Castle

Very useful perimeter defender and connective piece. Might bump him up a couple spots.

13. Tyson

Still think very highly of Tyson and tempted to put him as high as 10 as well.

14. Dunn

Just love the way Dunn moves on the court, he's incredibly fluid and assertive. Herb Jones type of outcome would be justified here. Some risk at 14 but I like the player and have for a while.

Just outside of the lotto I have Cody Williams, Devin Carter and a few others. I will be following Cody Williams closely over the next month.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,797

Post#1562 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri May 3, 2024 9:57 pm

CazOnReal wrote:I'm so sick of people pointing to Maxey for a Rob comparison when Tyrese's lack of defense has been a problem, especially when Embiid went down and he struggled to create offense so his flaws became all the more apparent as a #2 or #1 option.

And as it's been pointed out already: The 76ers lost

They had Super Rob in Maxey and an MVP candidate, and they lost to a more well rounded team with strong defensive wings who can shoot the 3. That's the kind of team we should be trying to make i.e. "find our new O.G." aka. draft Ryan Dunn and hope he can learn to shoot.

Ryan Dunn is more Matisse Thybuille than OG Anunoby. OG was arguably the #1 3+D guy in the league whether or not Americans wanted to admit or not when he was a Raptor.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,356

Post#1563 » by douggood » Fri May 3, 2024 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,746

Post#1564 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 3, 2024 11:10 pm

Wait...not everyone gets the same medical info? Kind of just assumed if you went to the combine and shared info, everyone gets it.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 525

Post#1565 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 3, 2024 11:12 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:I'm so sick of people pointing to Maxey for a Rob comparison when Tyrese's lack of defense has been a problem, especially when Embiid went down and he struggled to create offense so his flaws became all the more apparent as a #2 or #1 option.

They had Super Rob in Maxey and an MVP candidate, and they lost to a more well rounded team with strong defensive wings who can shoot the 3. That's the kind of team we should be trying to make i.e. "find our new O.G." aka. draft Ryan Dunn and hope he can learn to shoot.

Ryan Dunn is more Matisse Thybuille than OG Anunoby. OG was arguably the #1 3+D guy in the league whether or not Americans wanted to admit or not when he was a Raptor.

O.G.'s free throw percentage was 52.2% (1 percent less than Dunn), the college line is shorter (Granted, Dunn shot sub-30 which is not great) and there was no guarantee he was going to be a shooter/have his shot translate to the NBA. It did, and his defense is what helped keep him on the floor to work on the rest of his game.

Also Thybulle has been shooting 35% from 3 the past 2 years. Low volume, sure and he's obviously not as good as O.G. but let's not pretend adding him to the roster wouldn't be a good outcome for Dunn. As far as their defense goes, I would say Dunn is better as a prospect than Matisse but I digress.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,615

Post#1566 » by navyblue » Fri May 3, 2024 11:22 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Wait...not everyone gets the same medical info? Kind of just assumed if you went to the combine and shared info, everyone gets it.

part of the new cba, before teams got no info unless the agent shared with them. Agents would sometimes use this to steer players towards certain teams.

Also part of the new cba the players required to conduct a medical at the combine.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,325

Post#1567 » by Dalek » Fri May 3, 2024 11:55 pm

The hot take crowd will go wild with this when they should read between the lines with Topic being on a good team versus Djurisic putting up numbers.

Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,699

Post#1568 » by Psubs » Sat May 4, 2024 12:17 am

CazOnReal wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

O.G.'s free throw percentage was 52.2% (1 percent less than Dunn), the college line is shorter (Granted, Dunn shot sub-30 which is not great) and there was no guarantee he was going to be a shooter/have his shot translate to the NBA. It did, and his defense is what helped keep him on the floor to work on the rest of his game.

Also Thybulle has been shooting 35% from 3 the past 2 years. Low volume, sure and he's obviously not as good as O.G. but let's not pretend adding him to the roster wouldn't be a good outcome for Dunn. As far as their defense goes, I would say Dunn is better as a prospect than Matisse but I digress.

I guess Dunn is more like Ausur Thompson than Thybulle. Can he eventually shoot or just be a fringe starter.

Isaac Okoro has steadily increased his FT and 3pt shooting each year. Maybe Dunn can do that too?
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,957

Post#1569 » by Kevin Willis » Sat May 4, 2024 12:18 am

Dalek wrote:The hot take crowd will go wild with this when they should read between the lines with Topic being on a good team versus Djurisic putting up numbers.

Read on Twitter

Topic had the better all-around game, especially considering he played half the minutes.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 725

Post#1570 » by TGM » Sat May 4, 2024 12:28 am

If we got the 6th pick we don’t reach for a McCain. You take BPA at 6, which to me is Holland or Shepard or Dillingham.

Someone is bound to slide at 19 and you take BPA again. Could be Jaylon Williams, maybe Collier maybe Carter. Wouldn’t write off McCain being available as well.

What McCain brings is probably not that different from Trent. So why not just resign Trent for like a million above the MLE. Don’t see anyone using cap space to sign the guy and you got your 3 pt threat. Trent is only 23.

At 31 you go full out roll the dice and try for Ultich Chomche.

Shepard, Jaylon and Chomche

Holland, Carter and Chomche

These would be great outcomes for us.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,797

Post#1571 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat May 4, 2024 1:11 am

CazOnReal wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Thybuille is a solid player, he’s just not OG. Dunn would be a solid add as well, but again, not another OG.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,491

Post#1572 » by PhilBlackson » Sat May 4, 2024 2:02 am

Psubs wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Ryan Dunn is more Matisse Thybuille than OG Anunoby. OG was arguably the #1 3+D guy in the league whether or not Americans wanted to admit or not when he was a Raptor.

I guess Dunn is more like Ausur Thompson than Thybulle. Can he eventually shoot or just be a fringe starter.

Isaac Okoro has steadily increased his FT and 3pt shooting each year. Maybe Dunn can do that too?

Ausar was/is MUCH better with the ball in his hands and was a much better passer than Dunn.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#1573 » by Thaddy » Sat May 4, 2024 7:51 am

TGM wrote:If we got the 6th pick we don’t reach for a McCain. You take BPA at 6, which to me is Holland or Shepard or Dillingham.

Someone is bound to slide at 19 and you take BPA again. Could be Jaylon Williams, maybe Collier maybe Carter. Wouldn’t write off McCain being available as well.

What McCain brings is probably not that different from Trent. So why not just resign Trent for like a million above the MLE. Don’t see anyone using cap space to sign the guy and you got your 3 pt threat. Trent is only 23.

Trent is 25 years old. He's born in January 99'.

McCain is better than Trent at being a PG like player. He handles the ball a lot more, creates shots off of picks, and he has double the assist rate with the same usage. Then the other stuff like passing and playing within the offense, being a transition scorer, and most likely being productive off the bench (Trent has inconsistencies between bench and starting performances).

Players like Buzelis do have more potential but there isn't a single stand out skill. The argument is that Buzelis, or which ever player you want to make an example of, will grow into being better. Well McCain can do the same and become an effective point guard or play along side a point forward player like Barnes.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,522

Post#1574 » by S.W.A.N » Sat May 4, 2024 8:36 am

Thaddy wrote:
TGM wrote:If we got the 6th pick we don’t reach for a McCain. You take BPA at 6, which to me is Holland or Shepard or Dillingham.

Trent is 25 years old. He's born in January 99'.

McCain is better than Trent at being a PG like player. He handles the ball a lot more, creates shots off of picks, and he has double the assist rate with the same usage. Then the other stuff like passing and playing within the offense, being a transition scorer, and most likely being productive off the bench (Trent has inconsistencies between bench and starting performances).

Players like Buzelis do have more potential but there isn't a single stand out skill. The argument is that Buzelis, or which ever player you want to make an example of, will grow into being better. Well McCain can do the same and become an effective point guard or play along side a point forward player like Barnes.

McCain should be in the mix at 19. Unless we have our own pick and take one of the guards. if that happens it logical to take a wing/big instead.

I'd be down for a
Holland/Williams/Buzelis
McCain/Carter/Kolek
Holmes/Edey/Dunn draft

that said I think it more likely we take a big or wing at 19 and see who falls to 31.
We the North
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 595

Post#1575 » by Gavin_TDThree » Sat May 4, 2024 12:41 pm

Aside from Sarr, I think I'm leaning

Topic - 2-6
- his passing vision and touch is an elite skill.
- Strong FT%, finishes at the rim.
- I think he has the highest ceiling in this draft. If he shooting comes around then he could be a 20pt 10ast threat each night

McCain - 19th
- Elite shooter
- High character
- Hard worker which hopefully means more of his game opens up. Could he become CJ McCollum, Bane?

da Silva - 31st
- He just does so much
- Ultimate connective piece
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,695

Post#1576 » by WuTang_OG » Sat May 4, 2024 12:51 pm

If Raps in top 4 with SA both will fight over Topic
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,995

Post#1577 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat May 4, 2024 1:10 pm

navyblue wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Wait...not everyone gets the same medical info? Kind of just assumed if you went to the combine and shared info, everyone gets it.

part of the new cba, before teams got no info unless the agent shared with them. Agents would sometimes use this to steer players towards certain teams.

Also part of the new cba the players required to conduct a medical at the combine.

Yes, but it's weird that only teams with picks in those ranges get that info. What if a team wanted to trade up? This seems prohibitive and discourages big draft day moves.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,699

Post#1578 » by Psubs » Sat May 4, 2024 2:16 pm

Gavin_TDThree wrote:Aside from Sarr, I think I'm leaning

Topic - 2-6
- his passing vision and touch is an elite skill.
- Strong FT%, finishes at the rim.
- I think he has the highest ceiling in this draft. If he shooting comes around then he could be a 20pt 10ast threat each night

McCain - 19th
- Elite shooter
- High character
- Hard worker which hopefully means more of his game opens up. Could he become CJ McCollum, Bane?

da Silva - 31st
- He just does so much
- Ultimate connective piece

I think DaSilva will drop due to being a senior and not that high of a BPM. He seems to be decent floor, 6th man / spot starter like a Jeff Green. Likely never and allstar but will be cheaply retainable player around the MLE that helps a solid bench for a championship contender.

I'd still like to gamble on super raw Chomche at #19. He might only end up as Bebe level player but maybe with more desire to play basketball? That's not a terrible outcome to get a backup C at #19.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,603

Post#1579 » by HangTime » Sat May 4, 2024 2:22 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
navyblue wrote:

Yes, but it's weird that only teams with picks in those ranges get that info. What if a team wanted to trade up? This seems prohibitive and discourages big draft day moves.

Could a medical report be used as an asset? Say The Raptors jump up to #1, and aren't enamored with anyone, so we trade down

#1 + Sarr's Medicals + Buzelis' Medical
for
#17 (New Orleans from LAL) + 2025 FRP + _____
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,615

Post#1580 » by navyblue » Sat May 4, 2024 2:32 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
navyblue wrote:

Agents are still allowed to share reports with teams outside the range. So nothing changes from other years, if a trade is to be made teams will gather the info. This just limits players top of lotto gaming the system with withholding reports.

Return to Toronto Raptors