ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,531

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1321 » by Brinbe » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:42 pm

Usually there is a bit of consensus that emerges about the best 20-25 players in a draft and you just go down the board for BPA. And the Raptors have glaring needs everywhere that BPA should be the way to go.

However, that sort of thing just doesn't exist in this draft, at least not yet/right now. You got the maybe the top 11-12 (and even that might be generous) then there's just a fall-off from there for everyone else. A guy like Edey may be good enough to go 13 to some, but others wouldn't even have him on their board as a first-rounder and that's sort of what it is with most every prospect.
nivisi9
Senior
And1: 396

Post#1322 » by nivisi9 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:50 pm

DG88 wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on Kyshawn George from Miami? A jumbo guard who's 6'8 and can stroke it from 3. Looks like he has a pretty good handle and ability to use his size to shoot over defenders. Could be someone to consider with the 19th or 31st pick.

Just saw that he officially declared for the draft.

probably definitely gone by 19, mightve had a shot if we didn't lose the tiebreakers at 16
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,675

Post#1323 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:54 pm

niQ wrote:If we actually land number one and take Sarr, we have to take Devin Carter at 19.

We would go into our 30th season with a Dino-Sarr and a Carter.

BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,743

Post#1324 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,660

Post#1325 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:39 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dang, well Draymond Green stayed all 4 years.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#1326 » by Dalek » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 pm

Psubs wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dang, well Draymond Green stayed all 4 years.

The NIL money was too good pass up. Better than riding out games in the G-League.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,791

Post#1327 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully he adds some perimeter skills

He’s an advanced stat darling right now but very undersized as an nba big

There are guys who play much bigger than they are but having those perimeter skills will really give him opportunity
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 227

Post#1328 » by dohboy_24 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm

Depending on where his stock ends up in 2 months after the draft process plays out, I'd be happy if either the #19 pick from the Pacers or the #31 pick from the Pistons were used to select:

TRENTYN FLOWERS, 6'8", 200 lbs, F

A high flyer who excels at getting to the basket, getting out in transition and attacking the offensive glass.

Has nice athleticism, a sturdy frame with good strength, is very fluid on the court. Has a nice first step.

Can handle the ball in the open court but needs to keep tightening up his handles to be more effective in the half court.

Does most of his damage around the basket but has the makings of a 3pt shot.

Can guard multiple positions and shows a lot of potential on that end of the court.

SCOUTING REPORTS:

https://edemirnba.substack.com/p/trentyn-flowers-scouting-report
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-nbls-trentyn-flowers
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-prospect-profile-trentyn-flowers
https://www.on3.com/db/trentyn-flowers-150325/scouting/
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/trentyn-flowers-rising-above-down
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Castle, Pate, Walter, Collier, George, McCain, Carrington, Alexander
F: Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Salaun, Flowers, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Clingan, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,726

Post#1329 » by Ell Curry » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 pm

Brinbe wrote:Usually there is a bit of consensus that emerges about the best 20-25 players in a draft and you just go down the board for BPA. And the Raptors have glaring needs everywhere that BPA should be the way to go.

However, that sort of thing just doesn't exist in this draft, at least not yet/right now. You got the maybe the top 11-12 (and even that might be generous) then there's just a fall-off from there for everyone else. A guy like Edey may be good enough to go 13 to some, but others wouldn't even have him on their board as a first-rounder and that's sort of what it is with most every prospect.

The one real upside I can see in this draft for us is there are no PFs going top 20 (Tyler Smith seems to be close so maybe he sneaks in) and our franchise player is a PF who doesn't seem to fit well with other PFs.
Where's the D?
Dalek
RealGM

Post#1330 » by Dalek » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 pm

I really think this is the draft to go French. International players are the most translatable to playing in the NBA for this class because of their size and training - especially with the French players growing up in their club system.

I do think the conversation is dominated by Zaccharie Risacher, Alex Sarr, and Tidjane Salaun. Their positional size and upside seem solid, but I actually like two very different prospects that could fit into our two draft slots.

Melvin Ajinca didn't quite have the shooting season we would have expected partially due to an injury, but he has a good track record as a scorer from the U19 where he led France at 19.3 points, 2.9 rebounds, and 1.6 assists and is around 40% from three over a few seasons. At 19, Melvin is a high energy player on defense, and cuts, and is a very high level catch and shoot threat. At about 6'8 people tag him as a 3 and D guy, but he has more skills. His lefty game kind of reminds me of RJ Barrett. His high floor and potential make an ideal draft prospect at pick 19.

At 31, I really like 6'8 forward Armel Traore. He is more of a defender and rebounder who can guard 2-4, and he can shoot it from outside a bit and is generally a smart player that can fit as a PF. I do think having two Frenchmen drafted helps them both with the NBA North America transition. Armel's brother Nolan Traore, is a player who I really like for next year's draft.

The Raptors launched a French Instagram the past year, and I think it is smart because of our French community, but also, it makes sense to be ready for the French invasion of players. Former raptor, Alexis Ajinca is Melvin's cousin and he follows the Raptors French Instagram. We could be a very welcome home for French players.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,406

Post#1331 » by TimeForChange » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#1332 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm

I like Traore on the cheap. A decent two year contract.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,711

Post#1333 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Read on Twitter

This sucks because we'll find out a lot more about him next year and if he develops a shot then he's getting drafted before we pick and if he doesn't then we probably don't want him anyway.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#1334 » by Dalek » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Read on Twitter

This sucks because we'll find out a lot more about him next year and if he develops a shot then he's getting drafted before we pick and if he doesn't then we probably don't want him anyway.

I mean college is not always a place where players develop a lot. Look at Edey being forced to be a paint finisher all these years. Coaches are there to win, and CMB is pretty tough to guard as a PF and he can defend 2-4. They may just give him more touches, and it might not be from three.
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 465

Post#1335 » by CazOnReal » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 am

Re: Poeltl if we get Sarr

I don't think Jakob would be an immediate trade candidate since you could run in to the same scenario as the Blazers where you take the unknown over the known i.e. Ant is just straight up better than Scoot and while he's probably more valuable, trading Ant could backfire if Scoot never develops into a franchise PG. If the right offer comes around then sure, trade Jakob but I think you'll want to see how Sarr performs in Summer League - if not, the preseason at minimum - before you trade Poeltl.

The same goes for Missi, Clingan or Chomche though I think it goes without saying the expectations for all 3 of those guys are significantly lower i.e. if Yves can give you a good 15-20 minutes at the 5 and Scottie or whomever takes over the remaining center minutes as a small ball 5 then you're getting that Bench Mob: The New Generation together ahead of schedule.

One other thing with Sarr is that his position in the NBA is...ambiguous for now? I think there's a world where you play him at the 4 like the Grizzlies do JJJ but it depends a lot on if he can translate his midrange game into a competent outside shot diet. I'd compare him to Evan Mobley as a prospect though he's less promising defensively than Evan was and further ahead offensively. Also not as good a ball handler but I digress.

I will say I waffle back and forth between trading Jakob and not so if you asked me this a different day then you might get a different response.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,272

Post#1336 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am

Dalek wrote:I really think this is the draft to go French. International players are the most translatable to playing in the NBA for this class because of their size and training - especially with the French players growing up in their club system.

I do think the conversation is dominated by Zaccharie Risacher, Alex Sarr, and Tidjane Salaun. Their positional size and upside seem solid, but I actually like two very different prospects that could fit into our two draft slots.

Melvin Ajinca didn't quite have the shooting season we would have expected partially due to an injury, but he has a good track record as a scorer from the U19 where he led France at 19.3 points, 2.9 rebounds, and 1.6 assists and is around 40% from three over a few seasons. At 19, Melvin is a high energy player on defense, and cuts, and is a very high level catch and shoot threat. At about 6'8 people tag him as a 3 and D guy, but he has more skills. His lefty game kind of reminds me of RJ Barrett. His high floor and potential make an ideal draft prospect at pick 19.

At 31, I really like 6'8 forward Armel Traore. He is more of a defender and rebounder who can guard 2-4, and he can shoot it from outside a bit and is generally a smart player that can fit as a PF. I do think having two Frenchmen drafted helps them both with the NBA North America transition. Armel's brother Nolan Traore, is a player who I really like for next year's draft.

The Raptors launched a French Instagram the past year, and I think it is smart because of our French community, but also, it makes sense to be ready for the French invasion of players. Former raptor, Alexis Ajinca is Melvin's cousin and he follows the Raptors French Instagram. We could be a very welcome home for French players.

Most mock drafts I have seen has Melvin in the second round.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 721

Post#1337 » by TGM » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 am

Ideal draft outcome for us:

Holland at 6 - The dude is an alpha and on a Toronto team will thrive with in our offense and be the 2/3 guard we need.
McCain at 19 - We get our 3PT shooter and back-up guard of the future. Could argue maybe just to keep Trent and use the pick on. Gives us our sixth man scorer off the bench or when we want to go small ball.
Chomche at 31 - This guy plays like Giannis. Pure project, but worst case he can be a precious with better handles. Almost certain Masai takes him 31.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,883

Post#1338 » by Thaddy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 am

CazOnReal wrote:Re: Poeltl if we get Sarr

I don't think Jakob would be an immediate trade candidate since you could run in to the same scenario as the Blazers where you take the unknown over the known i.e. Ant is just straight up better than Scoot and while he's probably more valuable, trading Ant could backfire if Scoot never develops into a franchise PG. If the right offer comes around then sure, trade Jakob but I think you'll want to see how Sarr performs in Summer League - if not, the preseason at minimum - before you trade Poeltl.

The same goes for Missi, Clingan or Chomche though I think it goes without saying the expectations for all 3 of those guys are significantly lower i.e. if Yves can give you a good 15-20 minutes at the 5 and Scottie or whomever takes over the remaining center minutes as a small ball 5 then you're getting that Bench Mob: The New Generation together ahead of schedule.

One other thing with Sarr is that his position in the NBA is...ambiguous for now? I think there's a world where you play him at the 4 like the Grizzlies do JJJ but it depends a lot on if he can translate his midrange game into a competent outside shot diet. I'd compare him to Evan Mobley as a prospect though he's less promising defensively than Evan was and further ahead offensively. Also not as good a ball handler but I digress.

I will say I waffle back and forth between trading Jakob and not so if you asked me this a different day then you might get a different response.

Sarr probably isn't even top 5 on Masai's draft board. I would guess he's ranking Buzelis, Holland, and Risacher higher based on their offense and physical profile.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,597

Post#1339 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

NBA draft.net has us taking Carter at 19

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,883

Post#1340 » by Thaddy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 am

Ivisic has a twin brother that plays in the ABA. Tomislav Ivisic isn't bad either. At 20 years old he's a stretch big and heavier than Zvonmir. I would look to add him as an undrafted prospect. The shooting and size is good and he's only 20. I could see his mobility improving with weight loss.

Return to Toronto Raptors