ImageImageImageImageImage

On this day 5 years ago, the greatest championship run started

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,139

Re: On this day 5 years ago, the greatest championship run started 

Post#21 » by DelAbbot » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:13 pm

All I remember is jerk chicken takeout with cheap beer for each game on TV. Best time of my life

We need 2019 on repeat forever
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,224

Post#22 » by MoneyBall » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:37 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:One of the most memorable aspects of this run for me is how well every single rotation player contributed to win the Championship.

Still don't know what the heck happened to Green but he entered a slump at the worst time imaginable. He couldn't get anything to fall. Especially in that Bucks series.

He did come up HUGE for us in the finals (Game 3 specifically).

His offense was definitely inconsistent, but he was easily one of our best defenders.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,772

Post#23 » by metafisical » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:15 pm

The playoffs are where true winners are formed. Kawhi, Siakim and FVV really stepped up. The other guys did their thing too. With DD, we probably would've gotten bounced by Philly, all things equal.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,065

Post#24 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:28 pm

metafisical wrote:The playoffs are where true winners are formed. Kawhi, Siakim and FVV really stepped up. The other guys did their thing too. With DD, we probably would've gotten bounced by Philly, all things equal.

Fred was horrendous for the first 15 games of the post-season (shot 19% from 3 and 4ppg)
Then he had that baby, and ended up catching fire for the last 9 games. (shot 53% from 3 and 15ppg)

All that matters though, is that he showed up when we needed him the most.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,065

Post#25 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 pm

One of my favorite moments of the title run was after game 2 against the Bucks, when everyone was ruling us out, Kawhi was incredibly composed and was not worried whatsoever.

"Where do you go after this?"

"Ugh - Toronto. We're going back to Toronto"
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,926

Post#26 » by bape_lovers » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 pm

paid 1K for 300 seats, my heart sank when we lost. I thought Kawhi going to leave, laughing stock again, and losing 1K that i could've went to mexico

YogurtProducer wrote:I remember losing game 1 and thinking "here we go again"

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
JD143726
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,165

Post#27 » by JD143726 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:45 pm

I am a Raptors jinx. I went to one playoff game this entire run, and it was Game 1 vs Orlando (which they lost). :roll: :roll:
kleatius_01
Senior
And1: 299

Post#28 » by kleatius_01 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:03 pm

THANK YOU bape_lovers and JD143726! Your presence jinxed the Raptors early and motivated the team to go all the way. $1000 well spent!!!
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,840

Post#29 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:19 pm

Kyle was asleep in game 1 for some reason. Probably needed that kick in the ass to get going
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#30 » by mihaic » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:18 am

I remember how cocky DJ Augustin was, explaining how he attacked Gasol. He awoke the beast :)

Beer Papi on his last legs was super underrated for the whole run. Serge too.

I remember Gasol and Embiid at scorer table any time Embiid checked in. It was hilarious.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,603

Post#31 » by HangTime » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 am

mihaic wrote:I remember how cocky DJ Augustin was, explaining how he attacked Gasol. He awoke the beast :)

Beer Papi on his last legs was super underrated for the whole run. Serge too.

I remember Gasol and Embiid at scorer table any time Embiid checked in. It was hilarious.

Whomever faces Philly should just invite Marc to sit courtside. I wish we tried it in 2022.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,786

Post#32 » by nestea » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:38 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:People love to bring up the Warriors injuries but fail to realize that the Raps were bruised and battered as well.

We were FAR from healthy. Kawhi had his knee probs, Siakam suffered a calf contusion vs. the 76ers, Lowry had a (fractured?) thumb that he had to undergo surgery for immediately after the finals, OG missed the entire post-season, etc.

Sure but their impact players were not in liuneup. If they were , raps lose that series. There's no question. But, glad they won nonetheless.
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
dublo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 440

Post#33 » by dublo7 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:46 am

GP2 wrote:Be honest. What was your reaction to Lowry's goose egg in Game 1? More than the loss as a whole and Augustin's performance, I want to know how you were feeling about Lowry after that game.

I shrugged it off. I believed in him. I still believe in that Lowry. . I did not believe DJ Augstine could play like that again, and really the game came down to miscommunication btw Gasol and Kawhi. I felt the Magic got lucky and KL was just unlucky that day.
Free advice is seldom cheap. ROA#59
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#34 » by mihaic » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:31 am

nestea wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:People love to bring up the Warriors injuries but fail to realize that the Raps were bruised and battered as well.

We were FAR from healthy. Kawhi had his knee probs, Siakam suffered a calf contusion vs. the 76ers, Lowry had a (fractured?) thumb that he had to undergo surgery for immediately after the finals, OG missed the entire post-season, etc.

Sure but their impact players were not in liuneup. If they were , raps lose that series. There's no question. But, glad they won nonetheless.

It is not clear cut. And do we also assume Kawhi Pascal and Lowry are fully healthy? In which case I like our chances. Philly seemed stronger than Warriors that year.

We also swept the Warriors in the regular season if I recall.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,863

Post#35 » by Jcity08 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:12 pm

**** off, it hasnt been 5 years right?

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,139

Post#36 » by DelAbbot » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:19 pm

nestea wrote:

Warriors broke a code adding a top 5 player in KD (and Cousins) to their already dynasty, due to a one time salary cap spike. Their injuries just made their roster from video game insane to a normal championship caliber team
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#37 » by mdenny » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:47 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
metafisical wrote:The playoffs are where true winners are formed. Kawhi, Siakim and FVV really stepped up. The other guys did their thing too. With DD, we probably would've gotten bounced by Philly, all things equal.

Fred was horrendous for the first 15 games of the post-season (shot 19% from 3 and 4ppg)
Then he had that baby, and ended up catching fire for the last 9 games. (shot 53% from 3 and 15ppg)

All that matters though, is that he showed up when we needed him the most.

I thought he was decent against the Wizards but was virtually unplayable against the sixers.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#38 » by mdenny » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:51 pm

I seem to recall that there was a serious backlash forming against kawhi after game 1 vs Wizards and it was mostly based on the load management stuff.

I think the concern was that he was simply trying to get through the season so that he could sign a max elsewhere. And if we had lost to the Wizards I'm pretty sure that would've been the dominant narrative. As things turned out....the load management stuff was actually to ensure he was ready for the playoffs. But I doubt anyone would've been saying that after a first round exit.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,521

Post#39 » by Bank Shot » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:20 pm

mihaic wrote:
nestea wrote:

It is not clear cut. And do we also assume Kawhi Pascal and Lowry are fully healthy? In which case I like our chances. Philly seemed stronger than Warriors that year.

We also swept the Warriors in the regular season if I recall.

Yep. The Bucks were better than Golden State that year too and we took care of a healthy version of them without HCA. The Dubs were 6-4 with Durant in the lineup in the playoffs before the finals. They were hardly unbeatable even when healthy.

It also took a CP3 injury and one of the flukiest shooting stretches ever for the 2018 version of the team (one that was better than the 2019 version we faced) to sneak past the Rockets. They were only untouchable in 2017.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,947

Post#40 » by Quattro » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 pm

I will never forget that parade. We were packed in like sardines at a little cafe on University and Adelaide for hours. Will never experience anything like that again

Return to Toronto Raptors