ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,955

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#1301 » by Los_29 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:24 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:Knix are the worst 2 seed in nba history

Then what does that say about the teams who finished below them? lol.

It says the East is really weak. While that poster is being hyperbolic, there is some validity there as far as them being one of the weaker #2 seeds in recent memory. It's the lowest win total for a #2 seed in 17 years.

Honestly, I can see why it's tempting to try and take a shortcut and make a win-now move, when you see all these deeply flawed EC teams and one of them is going to make the ECF (and get thumped by BOS). I will be all over Masai if he does this, but having said that, I think I would if I were in his shoes LOL.

I am the first one to say that our team has been garbage for 2 seasons now, but we are not THAT far away from these teams (BOS excluded of course).

MIL has Giannis but his reliability is becoming an issue more and more. I'm a pretty big Dame fan but I have this feeling his decline won't be graceful, I think it will be an overnight thing one day. Lopez and Middleton are pretty washed.

We saw what Philly looked like without Embiid this season and his health is literally always an issue. I think he's on his last legs, no pun intended. I mean, that's a pretty damning indictment on their depth when despite not missing anyone, a 38-year old Lowry is starting for them in the playoffs and he was a buyout pickup. They can nab PG and I still won't consider them a contender, considering he plays when he wants to and is one of the most injury prone guys around.

The rest aren't worth mentioning because none of them have a top 10 player (like we don't). Are they all better than us? Undoubtedly. Without question. I just don't think the gulf is THAT wide. I can see how a competitive person, like Masai, could talk himself into cheating this process, especially if you're a believer in Barnes and IQ like I am.

Bucks and Sixers are trending down then you got teams like the Knicks, Pacers, Cavs and Magic that aren’t going to put fear in anyone. They are ahead of us but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities that we can get to that point in a couple of years. Key will be hitting on these picks and getting continued development from our young guys. League is in great shape.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,485

Post#1302 » by Gant » Fri May 3, 2024 2:36 pm

--
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,399

Post#1303 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:42 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:Knix are the worst 2 seed in nba history

It says the East is really weak. While that poster is being hyperbolic, there is some validity there as far as them being one of the weaker #2 seeds in recent memory. It's the lowest win total for a #2 seed in 17 years.

Honestly, I can see why it's tempting to try and take a shortcut and make a win-now move, when you see all these deeply flawed EC teams and one of them is going to make the ECF (and get thumped by BOS). I will be all over Masai if he does this, but having said that, I think I would if I were in his shoes LOL.

I am the first one to say that our team has been garbage for 2 seasons now, but we are not THAT far away from these teams (BOS excluded of course).

MIL has Giannis but his reliability is becoming an issue more and more. I'm a pretty big Dame fan but I have this feeling his decline won't be graceful, I think it will be an overnight thing one day. Lopez and Middleton are pretty washed.

We saw what Philly looked like without Embiid this season and his health is literally always an issue. I think he's on his last legs, no pun intended. I mean, that's a pretty damning indictment on their depth when despite not missing anyone, a 38-year old Lowry is starting for them in the playoffs and he was a buyout pickup. They can nab PG and I still won't consider them a contender, considering he plays when he wants to and is one of the most injury prone guys around.

The rest aren't worth mentioning because none of them have a top 10 player (like we don't). Are they all better than us? Undoubtedly. Without question. I just don't think the gulf is THAT wide. I can see how a competitive person, like Masai, could talk himself into cheating this process, especially if you're a believer in Barnes and IQ like I am.

I agree with all of this. I think what it points to in the East is the path up the standings might be much easier than the path to a high draft pick. Really the only path to a high draft pick is similar to this year (sitting out BBQ for long stretches). They won't agree to that unless they have injuries, so I think Masai pursues the path upwards, and is ready to pivot (like this year) if injuries occur.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,744

Post#1304 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 3, 2024 3:57 pm

Scase wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:First round exit, at best. That same core went on to get clowned in the play in once all covid restrictions were gone. Such a low ceiling roster, it is insane that people continue to hang onto it like it was some perennial 50+ win team.

The covid restrictions did not affect anything. There were no players that skipped playing in Canada because of vaccine requirements or whatever. It wasn't why the team won 48 games a couple years ago. They won because Scottie was decent, Fred was actually hitting his 3's for most of the year and the bench wasn't completely ass. That changed the next season and they broke everything up.

Fair enough, off the top of my head there were the Kyrie games missed, but I recall a few more. Maybe it was just covid overall.

But trying to say they "broke everything up" after doubling down on it with Jak is just not true. They tried this year to keep the same core going until they saw the writing on the wall a year after everyone else.

They broke everything up after last year. They were actively shopping Pascal in the summer, for an obvious example. Trading for Yak didn't work and they pivoted. It's not like they decided in mid December that was the time to blow things up.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#1305 » by mihaic » Fri May 3, 2024 4:49 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
Scase wrote:
ash_k wrote:so we had the 2nd best player on the Knicks and the best player on the Pacers currently both in the semi-Finals of the Eastern Conference Finals..with a Young All-Star....and could no NADA with that...with Darko :nonono:

Relax with the hyperbole, Siakam had 2 good games in a 6 game series. Our roster fit was bad, and neither of those 2 players were trying this season, anyone with eyes could see it. But keep on blaming the coach and never the FO. :roll:

It’s the best part of this, we don’t have to play hypotheticals, or play regrets. We actually got a large sample size of that core and the end result was that they were a bonafide first round exit team lol.

We were a play in exit under Nurse too. It's not just the coach.

We were and still are missing a star level 1st scorer. Indy, NY have it in Haliburton and Brunson. We have no goto guy.

Those first options are so important. Without it you don't have enough scoring when defense locks in late in games. A first option requires attention and open it up for the Siakams and OG's of every team.

Can RJ Quick or Scottie become that scorer? If not you can hire any coach, results will improve only marginally.
mihaic
Lead Assistant

Post#1306 » by mihaic » Fri May 3, 2024 4:52 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
The covid restrictions did not affect anything. There were no players that skipped playing in Canada because of vaccine requirements or whatever. It wasn't why the team won 48 games a couple years ago. They won because Scottie was decent, Fred was actually hitting his 3's for most of the year and the bench wasn't completely ass. That changed the next season and they broke everything up.

Fair enough, off the top of my head there were the Kyrie games missed, but I recall a few more. Maybe it was just covid overall.

But trying to say they "broke everything up" after doubling down on it with Jak is just not true. They tried this year to keep the same core going until they saw the writing on the wall a year after everyone else.

They broke everything up after last year. They were actively shopping Pascal in the summer, for an obvious example. Trading for Yak didn't work and they pivoted. It's not like they decided in mid December that was the time to blow things up.

They pivoted only after FVV bolted. I suspect they would've tried to run it back, had FVV signed with us.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#1307 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 3, 2024 5:11 pm

mihaic wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:Fair enough, off the top of my head there were the Kyrie games missed, but I recall a few more. Maybe it was just covid overall.

They pivoted only after FVV bolted. I suspect they would've tried to run it back, had FVV signed with us.

Yes, FVV left after last year. I am not sure how that contradicts what I posted. All the Pascal to Atlanta rumours were in the summer. I also doubt they would have been static even if they kept Fred anyway. That seemed more like a let's keep the asset offer than anything else.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#1308 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri May 3, 2024 5:49 pm

Congrats to the Knicks for winning the title
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#1309 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri May 3, 2024 5:51 pm

Would like to generate some discussion/tin foil hat, how many small market teams are left & how many big market teams?
(how do we consider which is small & which is big?) Like if it's Den vs Pacers in the final will NBA lose out on viewers?

Just a thought.
JB7
Analyst

Post#1310 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:07 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Would like to generate some discussion/tin foil hat, how many small market teams are left & how many big market teams?
(how do we consider which is small & which is big?) Like if it's Den vs Pacers in the final will NBA lose out on viewers?

Just a thought.

I'm sure the league is very happy to see it could be a Celtics vs Knicks East final. So there is a chance Knicks could be in the NBA finals.

And on the other side, all the best teams were generally smaller market teams (Denver, OKC & Minny), so it was almost inevitable there would be a small market team from the West, unless Dallas is able to upset OKC and Denver/Minny.
mihaic
Lead Assistant

Post#1311 » by mihaic » Fri May 3, 2024 6:47 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Yes, FVV left after last year. I am not sure how that contradicts what I posted. All the Pascal to Atlanta rumours were in the summer. I also doubt they would have been static even if they kept Fred anyway. That seemed more like a let's keep the asset offer than anything else.

It doesn't contradict, they pivoted. But I think the FO was forced to pivot due to Fred. I don't think it was their plan A, they were forced by Fred and Nurse leaving (this is not a fact, but my guess)).
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#1312 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 7:03 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

And according to Masai they didn't find any good packages for FVV, yet according to multiple other FO sources, they were never serious with their intent to trade him. So I see no reason to assume it wasn't the same deal with Siakam.

Ultimately, no one got moved until multiple months into the season, and the chips only seem to have fallen once it was extremely apparent this core was going nowhere.
Props TZ!
Scase
RealGM

Post#1313 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 7:06 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

I agree with all of this. I think what it points to in the East is the path up the standings might be much easier than the path to a high draft pick. Really the only path to a high draft pick is similar to this year (sitting out BBQ for long stretches). They won't agree to that unless they have injuries, so I think Masai pursues the path upwards, and is ready to pivot (like this year) if injuries occur.

It goes both ways, if it's easy to rise because the east is weak, that means it's easy for weak teams to get wins against other weak teams.

Just means the likelihood of a lot more mid ATL/CHI type teams, it's kinda like fake parity. It looks like everyone has a shot at the playoffs, but only cause everyone is just as mediocre as the rest. Intentionally drop a few players etc. and it should be easy to fall out of that mediocre state. Add a couple and it's relatively easy to move above that mediocre state, the Knicks are a perfect example of the latter.

If we moved Jak for some prospects/picks, we would easily be bad enough to be in high lotto pick territory.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#1314 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:08 pm

Scase wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:Fair enough, off the top of my head there were the Kyrie games missed, but I recall a few more. Maybe it was just covid overall.

And according to Masai they didn't find any good packages for FVV, yet according to multiple other FO sources, they were never serious with their intent to trade him. So I see no reason to assume it wasn't the same deal with Siakam.

Ultimately, no one got moved until multiple months into the season, and the chips only seem to have fallen once it was extremely apparent this core was going nowhere.

I think they might have thought Fred would have more value to the team retaining him (if they could get him on a reason contract) then trying to trade him, whereas, it might have been the opposite with Pascal (because he had already been maxed and was expecting it again), as it seems they probably offered him in deals for KD, Dame, etc.

What ultimately caused the trades was the timing of their contracts expiring.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#1315 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 3, 2024 7:12 pm

Scase wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Which other FO sources said the Raptors weren't serious about moving FVV last season? All of the reporting at the time was that the Raps were being offered packages like Grayson Allen and the Bucks 2029 pick. The Clippers weren't willing to give up Mann (which...that seems to be their kink, to be fair). The idea that the Raps weren't serious about moving him doesn't really make any sense. They were shopping him, they were offered trash and decided to roll the dice on Poeltl and keep him at a lower price. And then Udoka gets hired, Houston max's him out for a couple years and off he goes for nothing. Although I still think the wind was blowing in that direction anyway after they lost to a screaming child. I also don't know why you'd assume they weren't serious about being willing to trade Siakam last summer either. It was so serious that the team damaged their relationship with him. Again, though, the reporting ended up being that the Hawks didn't want to include like Kobe **** Bufkin along with Griffen or whoever in the deal. If you have to accept a **** offer in order to be serious about moving someone, I guess they weren't serious. But that's not really how I think about trade discussions.
JB7
Analyst

Post#1316 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:14 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

It goes both ways, if it's easy to rise because the east is weak, that means it's easy for weak teams to get wins against other weak teams.

Just means the likelihood of a lot more mid ATL/CHI type teams, it's kinda like fake parity. It looks like everyone has a shot at the playoffs, but only cause everyone is just as mediocre as the rest. Intentionally drop a few players etc. and it should be easy to fall out of that mediocre state. Add a couple and it's relatively easy to move above that mediocre state, the Knicks are a perfect example of the latter.

If we moved Jak for some prospects/picks, we would easily be bad enough to be in high lotto pick territory.

If the team is trying to tank though for a top pick, the goal is obvious to be one of the worst 4 teams in the league. But even with moving Yak, I still don't think they could touch Wiz, Pistons and Blazers, plus who knows who else throws their hand into tanking (like if the Suns traded both Booker and KD). These next two drafts (2025 & 2026) are at least going to be decent, so there will be teams doing crazy **** to tank. I don't know that a team with BBQ could lose that badly.
causal_fan
Junior
And1: 338

Post#1317 » by causal_fan » Fri May 3, 2024 7:23 pm

I'm thrilled that new stars and teams are making noise in the playoffs and that many established stars are out - an exciting changing of the guard.
Scase
RealGM

Post#1318 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 8:13 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Which other FO sources said the Raptors weren't serious about moving FVV last season? All of the reporting at the time was that the Raps were being offered packages like Grayson Allen and the Bucks 2029 pick. The Clippers weren't willing to give up Mann (which...that seems to be their kink, to be fair). The idea that the Raps weren't serious about moving him doesn't really make any sense. They were shopping him, they were offered trash and decided to roll the dice on Poeltl and keep him at a lower price. And then Udoka gets hired, Houston max's him out for a couple years and off he goes for nothing. Although I still think the wind was blowing in that direction anyway after they lost to a screaming child. I also don't know why you'd assume they weren't serious about being willing to trade Siakam last summer either. It was so serious that the team damaged their relationship with him. Again, though, the reporting ended up being that the Hawks didn't want to include like Kobe **** Bufkin along with Griffen or whoever in the deal. If you have to accept a **** offer in order to be serious about moving someone, I guess they weren't serious. But that's not really how I think about trade discussions.

They were naturally anonymous FO sources, it was a year ago, trying to find an article with a few lines is tricky. Take it or leave it, but it was reported on at the time.

The reason I don't trust that they were serious about Siakam, is because the same thing played out as Fred, they just jumped on it earlier and got a bad return, instead of him walking. The FO is notoriously wishy washy, and while no one reasonably expects them to be transparent, they are constantly throwing out headlines that are just marketing BS. Play in for what, the market is better in the summer, the same trades will be there in the off season, trades are the new FA, and so on. All to have things either be contradictory (play in), or fall flat on their face (FVV walking). So there is really zero reason to trust anything they say, multiple FO contacts months after the guy is off the team, have nothing to gain by saying he was never serious about trading him. But our FO has to convince the fans that they did everything they could etc.

And the hilarity of implying that Allen and a 2029 SRP is a bad return is a nice touch. The same Allen who has shot 40% from 3 for 5 years in a row, with this year topping out at 46%. Yeah, why would the worst 3p team in the NBA want that?

Don't accept bad offers? Like the Hawks who didn't want to give up prospects for a player who leaked that he wouldn't sign for another team? The same player who held ALL the leverage because they held him until he was a UFA?

They gambled, and lost FVV for nothing, serious talks or not, that's 100% on them. Siakam was able to dictate where he went because we gave him all the leverage, that's 100% on them.

No excuses. The championship goodwill is gone.

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

If the team is trying to tank though for a top pick, the goal is obvious to be one of the worst 4 teams in the league. But even with moving Yak, I still don't think they could touch Wiz, Pistons and Blazers, plus who knows who else throws their hand into tanking (like if the Suns traded both Booker and KD). These next two drafts (2025 & 2026) are at least going to be decent, so there will be teams doing crazy **** to tank. I don't know that a team with BBQ could lose that badly.

Blazers barring any injuries, will have a better record next year than this year. Pistons cannot afford to keep being bad, so I expect a big off season for them. And that leaves the wiz. Not a whole lot of competition at the bottom. The Suns have zero incentive to tank, they don't own any of their picks.

BBQ absolutely could be bad enough, as I said, remove Jak from the equation and replace him with a rookie or a Len quality centre and watch us fall to the bottom. We have no consistent and diverse scoring threats and our defence is awful, removing Jak makes it even worse. This team has zero depth, without Jak you have essentially 5 NBA quality players in BBQ, Gradey, and old man Olynyk. Trade or dont pick up BBs final year, S&T or let GTJ walk, pick up some bad contracts for picks/prospects, and tada you are a basement dweller.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#1319 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:25 pm

Scase wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:And according to Masai they didn't find any good packages for FVV, yet according to multiple other FO sources, they were never serious with their intent to trade him. So I see no reason to assume it wasn't the same deal with Siakam.

They were naturally anonymous FO sources, it was a year ago, trying to find an article with a few lines is tricky. Take it or leave it, but it was reported on at the time.

The reason I don't trust that they were serious about Siakam, is because the same thing played out as Fred, they just jumped on it earlier and got a bad return, instead of him walking. The FO is notoriously wishy washy, and while no one reasonably expects them to be transparent, they are constantly throwing out headlines that are just marketing BS. Play in for what, the market is better in the summer, the same trades will be there in the off season, trades are the new FA, and so on. All to have things either be contradictory (play in), or fall flat on their face (FVV walking). So there is really zero reason to trust anything they say, multiple FO contacts months after the guy is off the team, have nothing to gain by saying he was never serious about trading him. But our FO has to convince the fans that they did everything they could etc.

And the hilarity of implying that Allen and a 2029 SRP is a bad return is a nice touch. The same Allen who has shot 40% from 3 for 5 years in a row, with this year topping out at 46%. Yeah, why would the worst 3p team in the NBA want that?

Don't accept bad offers? Like the Hawks who didn't want to give up prospects for a player who leaked that he wouldn't sign for another team? The same player who held ALL the leverage because they held him until he was a UFA?

They gambled, and lost FVV for nothing, serious talks or not, that's 100% on them. Siakam was able to dictate where he went because we gave him all the leverage, that's 100% on them.

No excuses. The championship goodwill is gone.

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:It goes both ways, if it's easy to rise because the east is weak, that means it's easy for weak teams to get wins against other weak teams.

Blazers barring any injuries, will have a better record next year than this year. Pistons cannot afford to keep being bad, so I expect a big off season for them. And that leaves the wiz. Not a whole lot of competition at the bottom. The Suns have zero incentive to tank, they don't own any of their picks.

BBQ absolutely could be bad enough, as I said, remove Jak from the equation and replace him with a rookie or a Len quality centre and watch us fall to the bottom. We have no consistent and diverse scoring threats and our defence is awful, removing Jak makes it even worse. This team has zero depth, without Jak you have essentially 5 NBA quality players in BBQ, Gradey, and old man Olynyk. Trade or dont pick up BBs final year, S&T or let GTJ walk, pick up some bad contracts for picks/prospects, and tada you are a basement dweller.

The Blazers might be better as a team, but won't have a better record, and could even be worse, in a stacked West. Also, I would not be surprised for another West team to fall like Memphis did this year because of an injury or trade - West is too loaded.

Pistons wanted to be better this year and still sucked. Signing Tobias is not changing that outcome. And there easily could be other teams that fall off (Bulls, Hawks, Nets, Hornets again) in the East, depending on what moves they make (or do not make) this summer.

Trading away such a valuable asset in Yak, to try and suck to acquire draft picks for players that might be good years down the line, does not do a lot to endear your current players (BBQ) to the team. It is just setting the franchise up to be a perennial loser like the Wiz, and Pistons have been.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,350

Post#1320 » by UnderdogRaptors » Fri May 3, 2024 8:56 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:Congrats to the Knicks for winning the title

Knix out the first round really the world is about to end :o
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy

Return to Toronto Raptors