ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,242

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#1121 » by MiamiSPX » Wed May 1, 2024 4:12 pm

JB7 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Would be hilarious if Giannis and Dame come back and they win game 6 & 7.

The East is seriously horrible. So many teams exposed in the first round of these playoffs.

I mean, the funnier option is they come back and lose.

True. Seeing Doc choke another game 7 would be very funny :D

Read on Twitter
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Post#1122 » by JB7 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:26 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
JB7 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Give me this DEN-MINNY series and pump it in my veins
These are the 2 best teams in the NBA imo. Shame its in 2nd round

Yep. I have a feeling that is the NBA finals right there. Unfortunately it is happening in the 2nd round. I think both of these teams could beat Boston.

Their bigs would be the factor

Even Minny's wings would be problematic for the Celtics.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,671

Post#1123 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 1, 2024 4:29 pm

JB7 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Yep. I have a feeling that is the NBA finals right there. Unfortunately it is happening in the 2nd round. I think both of these teams could beat Boston.

Their bigs would be the factor

Even Minny's wings would be problematic for the Celtics.

ANT would be but their bigs would really carry them in a series
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,468

Post#1124 » by Scase » Wed May 1, 2024 4:43 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
JB7 wrote:The East is seriously horrible. So many teams exposed in the first round of these playoffs.

I sound like a broken record but all these series have shown me is how easy the path is for Boston to get to the Finals. I think a healthy Bucks team would have given them the toughest series. The rest of then have some serious flaws that I just can't take them seriously as contenders.

So yeah, I agree that we can flirt with a play-in spot next season, but it would be directly as a result of how awful the East continues to be. Plus you can also count on the Bulls and Hawks somehow making the wrong moves this summer. But again, that shouldn't be our goal. If we organically make the play-in, great. We just shouldn't force the issue.

This is why I desperately want us to NOT rush this rebuild. It's gonna be absolute fools gold if we move forward with the current roster we have. Sure maybe we make it to like the 4-6th seed, but what's the point if you are never actually in arms length of true contention.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#1125 » by JB7 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:50 pm

Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
JB7 wrote:The East is seriously horrible. So many teams exposed in the first round of these playoffs.

I sound like a broken record but all these series have shown me is how easy the path is for Boston to get to the Finals. I think a healthy Bucks team would have given them the toughest series. The rest of then have some serious flaws that I just can't take them seriously as contenders.

So yeah, I agree that we can flirt with a play-in spot next season, but it would be directly as a result of how awful the East continues to be. Plus you can also count on the Bulls and Hawks somehow making the wrong moves this summer. But again, that shouldn't be our goal. If we organically make the play-in, great. We just shouldn't force the issue.

This is why I desperately want us to NOT rush this rebuild. It's gonna be absolute fools gold if we move forward with the current roster we have. Sure maybe we make it to like the 4-6th seed, but what's the point if you are never actually in arms length of true contention.

Outside of sitting BBQ for 1/3 to possibly half of the season, how are they not going to end up higher?
Scase
RealGM

Post#1126 » by Scase » Wed May 1, 2024 4:53 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Outside of sitting BBQ for 1/3 to possibly half of the season, how are they not going to end up higher?

Not sure I follow, you expect us to be higher than 4-6th seed?
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#1127 » by JB7 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:15 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:This is why I desperately want us to NOT rush this rebuild. It's gonna be absolute fools gold if we move forward with the current roster we have. Sure maybe we make it to like the 4-6th seed, but what's the point if you are never actually in arms length of true contention.

No, I thought what you were saying was to try and avoid being a play in at worst or 4-6th seed at best, and wanting instead for the rebuild to be in the same seeding as this season. I was saying that hitting the same seed next year as this (6th worst record), is going to be incredibly difficult in a weak East, unless the core sits for 1/3 to half the season.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,757

Post#1128 » by ForeverTFC » Wed May 1, 2024 6:37 pm

Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

There is a flip side to this. In the West, Celtics look like the only real contender and everyone else feels in reach. The Celtics are extremely expensive and Tatum for some reason just doesn't scare you as a superstar. They could rule the east for a long time given how young Tatum and Brown are, but they can also be caught. There also isn't a heir apparent young team in sight. As a result, I suspect this is going to drive more competitiveness in the East across all teams outside Washington.

On the flipside, the West has Minny, OKC, Denver with Houston and Spurs coming up, and you probably still need to throw the Grizz in there. Ton of young teams that are going to battle it out for a long time. If you're not well set up for the future right now, you're in for a long build to get there.

Ultimately, I think it will be both easier to rise to the top as well as to tank in the east as a result.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,757

Post#1129 » by ForeverTFC » Wed May 1, 2024 7:07 pm

BTW, I want to go on the record to say I was completely wrong about Tyrese Maxey. I was a loud and adamant Precious > Maxey as a prospect poster on this board. Boy, was I wrong.

I still think, on average, you should shy away from small guards when building your team because their limitations are amplified in the playoffs (See Tyler Herro, Darius Garland). And I still think on average, length is most important. But Maxey and Murray (and even Brunson) have shown you could build real winners around short gunners that can go out there and get you buckets at an elite level.

Part of the reason I was less happy with the OG trade than most was precisely because I'm not a big fan of the IQ archetype. But his play over the last year and the continued success of Murray along with the emergence of Brunson and Maxey has made me more excited about IQ's future. Fingers crossed.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,836

Post#1130 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed May 1, 2024 7:50 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:BTW, I want to go on the record to say I was completely wrong about Tyrese Maxey. I was a loud and adamant Precious > Maxey as a prospect poster on this board. Boy, was I wrong.

I still think, on average, you should shy away from small guards when building your team because their limitations are amplified in the playoffs (See Tyler Herro, Darius Garland). And I still think on average, length is most important. But Maxey and Murray (and even Brunson) have shown you could build real winners around short gunners that can go out there and get you buckets at an elite level.

Part of the reason I was less happy with the OG trade than most was precisely because I'm not a big fan of the IQ archetype. But his play over the last year and the continued success of Murray along with the emergence of Brunson and Maxey has made me more excited about IQ's future. Fingers crossed.

Guys like Maxey and Brunson are the exception for sure. They’re just both extremely durable. Really surprised with Brunson continuing this heavy usage. I feel like we tried that a bit with Kyle in his prime and he was always worn out and fallen off by the time playoffs came around.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,102

Post#1131 » by Potential » Wed May 1, 2024 8:03 pm

Would be cool to see Doc overcome a 3-1 deficit. It's fun to hate on these playoff chokers but I love seeing them change the narrative
Scase
RealGM

Post#1132 » by Scase » Wed May 1, 2024 8:50 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

No, I thought what you were saying was to try and avoid being a play in at worst or 4-6th seed at best, and wanting instead for the rebuild to be in the same seeding as this season. I was saying that hitting the same seed next year as this (6th worst record), is going to be incredibly difficult in a weak East, unless the core sits for 1/3 to half the season.

Ah gotcha, nah I'm saying getting the 4-6th seed with this core is fools gold due to how weak the east is. I'm hoping that we tank another year as we are in dire need of high end talent. I dont see this core being much better than 10th next year without any major additions.

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

There is a flip side to this. In the West, Celtics look like the only real contender and everyone else feels in reach. The Celtics are extremely expensive and Tatum for some reason just doesn't scare you as a superstar. They could rule the east for a long time given how young Tatum and Brown are, but they can also be caught. There also isn't a heir apparent young team in sight. As a result, I suspect this is going to drive more competitiveness in the East across all teams outside Washington.

On the flipside, the West has Minny, OKC, Denver with Houston and Spurs coming up, and you probably still need to throw the Grizz in there. Ton of young teams that are going to battle it out for a long time. If you're not well set up for the future right now, you're in for a long build to get there.

Ultimately, I think it will be both easier to rise to the top as well as to tank in the east as a result.

Yeah the thing is rising in the east just to get completely destroyed by a west coast team is a waste of time and effort. The C's are legit contenders, even if Tatum isn't truly scary, they could still take a finals if they get hot with their 3's.

I'm worried about the FO seeing seasonal gains with this core, and not attributing it to the east just being overall garbage, but rather doubling down on a core that doesn't really have that high of a ceiling. I can see the competitive argument for a bunch of teams like the Hawks/Bulls who just want some post season appearances for money....which I fear we are no different from.
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,842

Post#1133 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 1, 2024 11:43 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
[/x]
Basketball_Jones
RealGM

Post#1134 » by Basketball_Jones » Thu May 2, 2024 12:54 am

The real playoff game starts at 10

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
MiamiSPX
Analyst

Post#1135 » by MiamiSPX » Thu May 2, 2024 12:59 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:The real playoff game starts at 10

This game right now was just a formality. The Heat knew it too.
Scase
RealGM

Post#1136 » by Scase » Thu May 2, 2024 1:56 am

Thank god the heat/celtics series is over. It was easily the worst of the playoffs so far, somehow less entertaining than the suns sweep.
Props TZ!
Basketball_Jones
RealGM

Post#1137 » by Basketball_Jones » Thu May 2, 2024 2:17 am

Damn Cameron Brink courtside. She making that money already?

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

MiamiSPX
Analyst

Post#1138 » by MiamiSPX » Thu May 2, 2024 2:44 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:Damn Cameron Brink courtside. She making that money already?

Likely paid for by New Balance.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,537

Post#1139 » by bballsparkin » Thu May 2, 2024 3:42 am

Doncic has that LeBron Diva in him. Which is unfortunate in my not so humble opinion. But man can he score. The way he can change the pace and keep control is impressive. Good company he's in for fastest player in the playoffs to 1,000 points. MJ, Wilt and Elgin Baylor. Those guys are all legends. Real superstars.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,626

Post#1140 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:56 am

This is gonna be the Mavs toughest series. Maybe Minny, they match up well against everyone else

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to Toronto Raptors