ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,839

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#1281 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri May 3, 2024 5:22 am

Darkseid wrote:Rooting for the Knicks because OG is on that team.

He played great. Sick dunk.

Hope he gets paid well.

I’m starting to like Thibodeau too. His reaction to the OG dunk was like yeah dunk on that mfer while nodding his head lol. OG’s got some swagger to him now.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,120

Post#1282 » by Potential » Fri May 3, 2024 5:55 am

Pacers lucky there was no Giannis they got no business being in the 2nd round. Give me the Garden vs the Garden in the ECF
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#1283 » by mihaic » Fri May 3, 2024 6:20 am

Scase wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:I was thinking 4-6 in a couple years not next year. but honestly, if we ended up there even next year, it absolutely doesn't mean we are set. My whole point is that with how bad the east currently is, the current roster making it there, just means we moved up cause others are bad, not cause we are good.

The team needs sustainability, not making it to the 2nd round, or even ECF to get stomped by real teams. As of now, the only "real" team in the east are the celtics. Any one of the other teams makes it to the finals they get utterly demolished by basically any WC team. That's not success IMO. Contender doesn't just mean in your conference.

I understand what you say. But if this roster is 4th or 5th next year (you said 4-6), given how young they are, and that Scottie and IQ are on non max deals, I think the expectancy will be the team will still improve (they are young) and they can pursue trades as they will own almost all their picks plus a future Indy pick.

Furthermore if they are good enough to be 4-6, they will not get a top lottery pick. You can't expect them to tank barring major injuries, if they are that good.

I'm not expecting them to tank, I'm saying that the team just does not have nearly enough high end talent to do any real damage. This has shades of KL/DD, cept both RJ/IQ are worse versions lol.

I wouldnt be surprised if they moved into that bracket, but again, it's not cause they are very good, but rather the east is actual trash.

I think we are still no better than playin material, but I agree with you, we need all the talent. The "core" is not good enough, unless one of the guys turns into a superstar (yeah right). Scottie is nice but not a scorer. We need a true scorer on the team.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,772

Post#1284 » by metafisical » Fri May 3, 2024 6:44 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:
Darkseid wrote:Rooting for the Knicks because OG is on that team.

He played great. Sick dunk.

Hope he gets paid well.

I’m starting to like Thibodeau too. His reaction to the OG dunk was like yeah dunk on that mfer while nodding his head lol. OG’s got some swagger to him now.

OG is enjoying playing basketball again. I don't think he enjoyed playing with us this season and last year. Glad we parted ways.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,867

Post#1285 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 3, 2024 7:36 am

C_Money wrote:
bape_lovers wrote:That year we face the sixers was the best sixer team he had. Can’t believe they let Jimmy go

Fairview4Life wrote:Need an Embiid shot walking back to the locker room in tears. A tradition like no other.

Jimmy left on his own I thought.

They chose to max out Harris over Jimmy
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,714

Post#1286 » by C_Money » Fri May 3, 2024 8:22 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
C_Money wrote:
bape_lovers wrote:That year we face the sixers was the best sixer team he had. Can’t believe they let Jimmy go

Jimmy left on his own I thought.

They chose to max out Harris over Jimmy

Oh, well that was stupid.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,693

Post#1287 » by WuTang_OG » Fri May 3, 2024 11:27 am

Read on Twitter
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,823

Post#1288 » by ash_k » Fri May 3, 2024 12:27 pm

so we had the 2nd best player on the Knicks and the best player on the Pacers currently both in the semi-Finals of the Eastern Conference Finals..with a Young All-Star....and could no NADA with that...with Darko :nonono:
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,185

Post#1289 » by HumbleRen » Fri May 3, 2024 12:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jjXxOoE4yWMd4fG6_-MQMQ

Unreal legacy of a MVP. A mediocre Raptors team is the best team that he’s beaten.
Wise80
Senior
And1: 560

Post#1290 » by Wise80 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:00 pm

OG looks a lot quicker then he ever did with the Raps. With and without the ball. Same with his first step.

Am I misremembering?

Did Embiid cry?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,867

Post#1291 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 3, 2024 1:31 pm

Wise80 wrote:OG looks a lot quicker then he ever did with the Raps. With and without the ball. Same with his first step.

Am I misremembering?

Did Embiid cry?

I think it is obvious by now all the rumours were true that OG wanted out for quite some time.

I don't think he was very motivated the last couple of seasons. He is obviously motivated now.

It was time for him to move on. The return was awesome. Win-Win for Raptors-Knicks. Hopefully it is a win for OG in the offseason with his new contract.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#1292 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 1:48 pm

ash_k wrote:so we had the 2nd best player on the Knicks and the best player on the Pacers currently both in the semi-Finals of the Eastern Conference Finals..with a Young All-Star....and could no NADA with that...with Darko :nonono:

Relax with the hyperbole, Siakam had 2 good games in a 6 game series. Our roster fit was bad, and neither of those 2 players were trying this season, anyone with eyes could see it. But keep on blaming the coach and never the FO. :roll:
Props TZ!
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,185

Post#1293 » by HumbleRen » Fri May 3, 2024 1:52 pm

Scase wrote:
ash_k wrote:so we had the 2nd best player on the Knicks and the best player on the Pacers currently both in the semi-Finals of the Eastern Conference Finals..with a Young All-Star....and could no NADA with that...with Darko :nonono:

Relax with the hyperbole, Siakam had 2 good games in a 6 game series. Our roster fit was bad, and neither of those 2 players were trying this season, anyone with eyes could see it. But keep on blaming the coach and never the FO. :roll:

It’s the best part of this, we don’t have to play hypotheticals, or play regrets. We actually got a large sample size of that core and the end result was that they were a bonafide first round exit team lol.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,266

Post#1294 » by MiamiSPX » Fri May 3, 2024 1:54 pm

Los_29 wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Pacers are not winning and especially not in 5.

Knix are the worst 2 seed in nba history

Then what does that say about the teams who finished below them? lol.

It says the East is really weak. While that poster is being hyperbolic, there is some validity there as far as them being one of the weaker #2 seeds in recent memory. It's the lowest win total for a #2 seed in 17 years.

Honestly, I can see why it's tempting to try and take a shortcut and make a win-now move, when you see all these deeply flawed EC teams and one of them is going to make the ECF (and get thumped by BOS). I will be all over Masai if he does this, but having said that, I think I would if I were in his shoes LOL.

I am the first one to say that our team has been garbage for 2 seasons now, but we are not THAT far away from these teams (BOS excluded of course).

MIL has Giannis but his reliability is becoming an issue more and more. I'm a pretty big Dame fan but I have this feeling his decline won't be graceful, I think it will be an overnight thing one day. Lopez and Middleton are pretty washed.

We saw what Philly looked like without Embiid this season and his health is literally always an issue. I think he's on his last legs, no pun intended. I mean, that's a pretty damning indictment on their depth when despite not missing anyone, a 38-year old Lowry is starting for them in the playoffs and he was a buyout pickup. They can nab PG and I still won't consider them a contender, considering he plays when he wants to and is one of the most injury prone guys around.

The rest aren't worth mentioning because none of them have a top 10 player (like we don't). Are they all better than us? Undoubtedly. Without question. I just don't think the gulf is THAT wide. I can see how a competitive person, like Masai, could talk himself into cheating this process, especially if you're a believer in Barnes and IQ like I am.
Scase
RealGM

Post#1295 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 1:57 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
Scase wrote:

It’s the best part of this, we don’t have to play hypotheticals, or play regrets. We actually got a large sample size of that core and the end result was that they were a bonafide first round exit team lol.

First round exit, at best. That same core went on to get clowned in the play in once all covid restrictions were gone. Such a low ceiling roster, it is insane that people continue to hang onto it like it was some perennial 50+ win team.
Props TZ!
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,744

Post#1296 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 3, 2024 2:02 pm

Scase wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
Scase wrote:Relax with the hyperbole, Siakam had 2 good games in a 6 game series. Our roster fit was bad, and neither of those 2 players were trying this season, anyone with eyes could see it. But keep on blaming the coach and never the FO. :roll:

First round exit, at best. That same core went on to get clowned in the play in once all covid restrictions were gone. Such a low ceiling roster, it is insane that people continue to hang onto it like it was some perennial 50+ win team.

The covid restrictions did not affect anything. There were no players that skipped playing in Canada because of vaccine requirements or whatever. It wasn't why the team won 48 games a couple years ago. They won because Scottie was decent, Fred was actually hitting his 3's for most of the year and the bench wasn't completely ass. That changed the next season and they broke everything up.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Scase
RealGM

Post#1297 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 2:11 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:Knix are the worst 2 seed in nba history

It says the East is really weak. While that poster is being hyperbolic, there is some validity there as far as them being one of the weaker #2 seeds in recent memory. It's the lowest win total for a #2 seed in 17 years.

Honestly, I can see why it's tempting to try and take a shortcut and make a win-now move, when you see all these deeply flawed EC teams and one of them is going to make the ECF (and get thumped by BOS). I will be all over Masai if he does this, but having said that, I think I would if I were in his shoes LOL.

I am the first one to say that our team has been garbage for 2 seasons now, but we are not THAT far away from these teams (BOS excluded of course).

MIL has Giannis but his reliability is becoming an issue more and more. I'm a pretty big Dame fan but I have this feeling his decline won't be graceful, I think it will be an overnight thing one day. Lopez and Middleton are pretty washed.

We saw what Philly looked like without Embiid this season and his health is literally always an issue. I think he's on his last legs, no pun intended. I mean, that's a pretty damning indictment on their depth when despite not missing anyone, a 38-year old Lowry is starting for them in the playoffs and he was a buyout pickup. They can nab PG and I still won't consider them a contender, considering he plays when he wants to and is one of the most injury prone guys around.

The rest aren't worth mentioning because none of them have a top 10 player (like we don't). Are they all better than us? Undoubtedly. Without question. I just don't think the gulf is THAT wide. I can see how a competitive person, like Masai, could talk himself into cheating this process, especially if you're a believer in Barnes and IQ like I am.

A truly competitive person doesn't beat weak competition and consider it a win though, IMO this off season is the defining factor. Do we double down and rebuild properly, or does he go his typical route of trying to speed up a flawed process yet again.
Props TZ!
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,919

Post#1298 » by Agimat » Fri May 3, 2024 2:12 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Wise80 wrote:OG looks a lot quicker then he ever did with the Raps. With and without the ball. Same with his first step.

Am I misremembering?

Did Embiid cry?

I think it is obvious by now all the rumours were true that OG wanted out for quite some time.

I don't think he was very motivated the last couple of seasons. He is obviously motivated now.

It was time for him to move on. The return was awesome. Win-Win for Raptors-Knicks. Hopefully it is a win for OG in the offseason with his new contract.

Seems like all of them incl. Siakam and Fred tbh
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,266

Post#1299 » by MiamiSPX » Fri May 3, 2024 2:14 pm

Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

A truly competitive person doesn't beat weak competition and consider it a win though, IMO this off season is the defining factor. Do we double down and rebuild properly, or does he go his typical route of trying to speed up a flawed process yet again.

I am not proactively excusing him. I'll be the one starting the thread to eviscerate him. I am just saying though, that I can totally see how someone can talk themselves into it. The fact that one of NY or Indy will be in the ECF is just wild to me.
Scase
RealGM

Post#1300 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 2:22 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Scase wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

The covid restrictions did not affect anything. There were no players that skipped playing in Canada because of vaccine requirements or whatever. It wasn't why the team won 48 games a couple years ago. They won because Scottie was decent, Fred was actually hitting his 3's for most of the year and the bench wasn't completely ass. That changed the next season and they broke everything up.

Fair enough, off the top of my head there were the Kyrie games missed, but I recall a few more. Maybe it was just covid overall.

But trying to say they "broke everything up" after doubling down on it with Jak is just not true. They tried this year to keep the same core going until they saw the writing on the wall a year after everyone else.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors