ImageImageImageImageImage

Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package // TNT & NBC Update PG 4

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,305

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package 

Post#61 » by ciueli » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:40 pm

ontnut wrote:- Gambling taking over the NBA. <--- I think this was inevitable, the NBA just dove head first into it. It's been a long time coming with daily fantasy leagues taking over for the last decade or two. I don't particularly like how MUCH of it is around, but gambling ads were all over youtube basketball videos and stuff before it became legal in the NBA. I think they will eventually tone down the frequence of gambling ads, but with the NBA being such a counting stat based sport, I do think it was inevitable.

Saying "it was inevitable" is a poor excuse for any behaviour. I don't see them slowing down at all, I see it accelerating with these in game live reads by the talking heads, eventually it will be an in game ticker with live updates to odds, all it does it help create a generation of gambling addicts. They know kids watch this stuff, right? Of course they do, they don't care about the lives they will ruin, just the extra income they will generate for their business.

ontnut wrote:- The degree to which ads are crammed into broadcasts (on court ads, jersey patches, in game ads). <--- Also inevitable, most pro leagues have tons of ads on the playing surface/jerseys/broadcast. Nothing new here.

The other leagues need more advertising revenue because they are poor and their players don't make enough money to support themselves in some cases. The NBA is not anywhere close to that position, the smallest amount of money a player can make on a year long contract is millions now, and there are players making over $50M/year, soon they'll be players making over $60M/year. It's all just owners, players, and the NBA being greedy, they'll ruin the game with pervasive advertising just for a few more dollars in their pockets even though they're already filthy rich.

ontnut wrote:- The 3 point explosion, there's been little to nothing done to address it. <--- I'm not sure what Silver can do to fix that beyond entirely changing the game by lengthening the 3ptline (which I doubt most fans want to see).

They've already made some small changes that have had an impact, getting rid of a lot of the Harden type rip through 3 free throw fouls, that proves there are changes that can be made with officiating. It took them a long time to do it though, half a decade went by before they woke up. And just because you can't think of a creative way to address the problem doesn't mean there isn't one.

One option is making the step-back 3 illegal, it's a tool a lot of players use to get a clean look and it should be a travel IMO.

ontnut wrote:- Players don't care about the All-Star game and it's basically unwatchable. <--- True, but that's not really Silver's fault. It was an issue before he took over. There's no clear fix to this because it's pretty hard to incentivize the top stars in the league monetarily, vs. the risk of injury. NHL ASG is the same, as is the Pro Bowl...

If players don't care and it's unwatchable, get rid of it. Replace it with something else, like an in season single elimination tournament between the league's top teams instead of baking it into the regular season.

ontnut wrote:- Timeouts, coach's challenge, and video review making the ends of games take forever. <--- I think the challenge/video review system could use tweaking, but the fact that we have them at all I think is beneficial to the league vs. before where sh*tty calls just stood because there was nothing you could do about it. I think that's a PLUS for Silver, not a negative.

I disagree, the challenge doesn't solve the issue of bad calls and just makes the product worse, coaches often waste time challenging something they know they won't win just basically as a protest. Should never have been brought in and definitely shouldn't have been extended to two per game instead of one.

Like any sport, there has to be an acceptance that bad ref calls are a part of the game. Why does the call at the end of the game get such close scrutiny instead of the one at the beginning with video reviews? If they're going to have video reviews, why not have a ref in the video booth who can see things from every angle and do it quickly so the refs on the floor don't have to walk over to the monitor and do it? All of this slows down the game, especially the end when the game should be the most exciting, instead it's boring because it's a constant steady stream of commercials. I guess the NBA likes that because more money for them.

ontnut wrote:- Play in tournament (some people like it but some hate it because it makes the regular season less meaningful). <---For the most part I think it has been a success. Typically, the best teams still make it in, and the RS was not as meaningful anyway beyond getting HCA in the first round. The top 4 still play hard to secure HCA, 5-6th seeds play hard to avoid the PIT, and teams from 7-12 or so continue to play hard for the chance at the PIT. I think it actually makes the RS MORE meaningful vs. what we had before with teams anywhere from 9th seed onward actively trying to tank.

There should at minimum be a game differential to initiate a play-in, it's insane that the 36-46 Hawks and the 39-43 Bulls had a chance to get into the playoffs over 47-35 Sixers or the 46-36 Heat. I can see it when there's a tie for the 8th seed, or maybe a 1-2 game difference, anything beyond that you've lost me. The worst part of it is that the team that gets in as a 7 or 8 seed is then coming off little rest while the top seed has been sitting back scouting the whole time, it makes those early playoff round even more pointless. Jimmy Butler getting injured in one of the play-in games is also the perfect example of why it's a dumb idea, so much for the actually interesting 1-8 Celtics Heat matchup we thought we were getting.

As for tanking, I still see lots of teams doing it, so it hasn't solved anything. The real reason they have it is so they can make more money, just like everything they do (more games, more advertising, more money).
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,738

Post#62 » by OakleyDokely » Thu May 2, 2024 3:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Smalltown
Senior
And1: 472

Post#63 » by Smalltown » Thu May 2, 2024 7:57 pm

ciueli wrote:As for tanking, I still see lots of teams doing it, so it hasn't solved anything. The real reason they have it is so they can make more money, just like everything they do (more games, more advertising, more money).

They should give losing Play-in teams the same lottery odds as the worst record.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,672

Post#64 » by WuTang_OG » Fri May 3, 2024 4:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,630

Post#65 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri May 3, 2024 5:49 pm

Chuck being dramatic as usual. TNT will retain their rights. Silver has been clear they just want to get more streamers on board.
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 633

Post#66 » by Chalky_White » Sat May 4, 2024 3:35 am

2019nbachamps wrote:Chuck being dramatic as usual. TNT will retain their rights. Silver has been clear they just want to get more streamers on board.

If you've been following the reporting at all, TNT is unlikely to match NBC's gargantuan offer and NBA reportedly only wants 3 partners not to spread their product too thin. They've been losing a bunch of money and are heavilly in debt, unlike Comcast/NBC. Unless NBC is leaking nonsense to hurt TNT, next year is the last season that TNT will show NBA games.

Silver wants to follow the NFL model of having more games on Over-the-Air broadcast channels(NBC, ABC) and some streaming for the younger crowd. This tracks with that. TNT would be the odd one out.
RealGM
And1: 66,547

Post#67 » by 720 » Sat May 4, 2024 3:51 am

Is this coming to Canada because I actually have prime. Haven’t had cable in like a decade. I’ll give up illegal streams or IPTV for Amazon.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#68 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter

One of the core aspects of basketball is trash talk. It has seemingly been part of the game since Dr. Naismith taped up his first peach basket in 1891 at Springfield College: If you talk the talk, you have to back it up.

That is why Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav’s diss track from 2022 is underpinning the sudden jump ball between Zaslav’s TNT Sports and NBC for the last NBA TV rights deal that is still up for grabs. Two years ago, Zaslav dunked on NBA commissioner Adam Silver’s league.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We don’t have to have the NBA,” said Zaslav, who is reportedly paid like an NBA star at nearly $50 million a year, during an RBC investor conference.

Zaslav’s words zinged the ears of Silver and NBA executives. It has left Zaslav and TNT Sports fighting for their NBA lives with a Faustian choice.

Zaslav can either show fiscal restraint and lose the NBA to NBC, puncturing TNT Sports in the process, or he can pay the reported $2.5 billion per season asking price for a lesser package than he currently owns, proving that he does need the NBA.

Any deal for TNT or NBC is expected to include a conference final every other year, as opposed to TNT’s current setup of every season. Either network is anticipated to hold onto the yearly All-Star Game broadcast.

At this point, it seems apparent that ESPN’s chairman Jimmy Pitaro, and Amazon Prime Video’s top sports executive Jay Marine, and their bosses — who are already at the negotiation’s medal stand waiting for the third winner — have done a better job than Zaslav and his top lieutenants.

As reported by the Wall Street Journal and confirmed by The Athletic, ESPN will pay $2.6 billion each season for the NBA Finals and conference finals, while Amazon Prime Video will receive a conference final every other year and is expected to be in the $1.8 billion-per-year range.

Meanwhile, NBC is sitting there, aggressively going after Zaslav’s deal. It is a multi-faceted corporate move by Comcast-owned NBC that would reunite the league with its Michael Jordan-era partner and “Roundball Rock” theme song and comes with an already set one-two play-by-play punch of Mike Tirico and Noah Eagle.

While cable may be dwindling, Comcast is still in the business. If Zaslav and TNT Sports no longer air NBA games, Comcast could conceivably attempt to drop the price of its roughly $3 per month fee on subscribers. It could add up to millions in savings for Comcast.

Meanwhile, NBC is offering to put games on its broadcast network, where they could fit snugly after “Sunday Night Football” ends in early January. NBC also wants the NBA to prop up its subscription streamer, Peacock. And, although not the incumbent, the NBA may prefer NBC as its teammate for this package.

While TNT Sports has broadcast the NBA for nearly four decades, it includes countless employees with long-term NBA ties and boasts Charles Barkley and the iconic “Inside the NBA” studio show, NBCUniversal chairman Mark Lazarus is the media executive with the long-term relationship with the league.

From 1999 to 2003, Lazarus headed TNT Sports. During that time, the network hired Barkley, arguably the greatest sports studio analyst of all time.

Lazarus also developed strong relationships with Silver and NBA chief rights negotiator Bill Koenig.

At Turner, Lazarus ascended to the head of Turner Entertainment, overseeing all of their programming from TNT to TBS. By 2008, though, he was fired.

He went on to resurrect his career with NBC, where he now sits atop NBCUniversal Media Group.

“Both NBC and me, personally, have long histories with the NBA from my Turner years,” Lazarus said at the IMG Summit last September. “It’s a wonderful product in the States and globally. It’s a really valuable product, it’s culturally relevant in ways maybe some other sports aren’t — it speaks to multiple generations.

“So we’re intrigued by that, but we’re not an incumbent, and the process will come and go as it does.”

The process is ongoing, and it is hard to see how Zaslav wins. If he pays top dollar to keep a lesser package, he will dishonor his words about not needing the NBA, even if he has since tried to walk them back somewhat, professing his love for the league. If he loses the NBA, what becomes of TNT Sports, even if it still has MLB, the NCAA Tournament, NHL and NASCAR?

TNT’s NBA history is stellar, and many of the people who built it remain with the network, waiting by their phones to find out what the future holds. They are at the ground level grinding, while Zaslav is at the games.

During New York Knicks first-round playoff games, TNT showed Zaslav sitting courtside when it did its celebrity roll call. Those things don’t happen by accident; especially, and notably, on the late-April night the network’s exclusive negotiations rights window was closing.

TNT’s coverage is iconic because of all the memorable moments with Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Shaquille O’Neal and Barkley. But the words that may define it, if this is the end of an era, could belong to Zaslav, who, at last resort, may also prove those words were hollow if he tries to prevent NBC from completing the steal.

Zaslav talked trash, but Silver has the ball, and the commissioner may decide who he wants to take the final shot.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,630

Post#69 » by 2019nbachamps » Wed May 8, 2024 3:56 pm

Good article by the Athletic. TNT losing the NBA would be a big loss.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#70 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 4:52 pm

Crazy

Read on Twitter
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,984

Post#71 » by WaltFrazier » Wed May 8, 2024 4:55 pm

In my limited experience when visiting the US, TNT is a pretty lame network outside of the NBA. They don't have high quality dramas and comedies like HBO, Fx or even AMC.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,205

Post#72 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 8, 2024 5:02 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Crazy

Read on Twitter

I thought with all the load management and cord cutting that they'd be in trouble this go around. Crazy
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,205

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package // TNT & NBC Update PG 4 

Post#73 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 8, 2024 5:03 pm

Just keep Inside the NBA intact wherever they'd have to go and I'll be cool. That show is bigger than some nba games itself lol
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#74 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 5:04 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:In my limited experience when visiting the US, TNT is a pretty lame network outside of the NBA. They don't have high quality dramas and comedies like HBO, Fx or even AMC.

We only care for Inside the nba
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 947

Post#75 » by raptorforlife88 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:00 pm

I don't think I've seen an exec become as universally reviled as David Zaslav as quickly in a long time. Everything he has done seems to be designed to infuriate anyone who wants quality programming to be produced.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,086

Post#76 » by Zeno » Wed May 8, 2024 6:35 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:

Read on Twitter

I thought with all the load management and cord cutting that they'd be in trouble this go around. Crazy

NBA is as usual manipulating the numbers a little here. They claimed originally that they would double or even triple their rights deals. This is a 170 percent increase on the average of the last deal. They are not going up 170 percent on the amount they got on the final year of the previous deals. Also there appears to be an aspect of global media rights in this deal as far as Amazon is concerned which the previous deals didn’t include. So Silver is actually under delivering on these deals from what they expected a year or two ago.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#77 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 6:38 pm

Zeno wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Read on Twitter

NBA is as usual manipulating the numbers a little here. They claimed originally that they would double or even triple their rights deals. This is a 170 percent increase on the average of the last deal. They are not going up 170 percent on the amount they got on the final year of the previous deals. Also there appears to be an aspect of global media rights in this deal as far as Amazon is concerned which the previous deals didn’t include. So Silver is actually under delivering on these deals from what they expected a year or two ago.

They are more than doubling if they finalized
from 2.6B to 6.9B

Originally they thought they'd get 8-9B but they cooled back on that
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,065

Post#78 » by carlosey » Wed May 8, 2024 6:40 pm

raptorforlife88 wrote:I don't think I've seen an exec become as universally reviled as David Zaslav as quickly in a long time. Everything he has done seems to be designed to infuriate anyone who wants quality programming to be produced.

Hes a guy thats just lining up his pockets and driving the value down until a sale comes through. Whomever buys WBD next is going to have to cleanse the whole thing and start fresh in all departments because as you say he has a very very bad image.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,086

Post#79 » by Zeno » Wed May 8, 2024 6:47 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

from 2.6B to 6.9B

Yeah you’re right. Math fail by me. lol Still does seem to include more than the previous deal with some amount of global rights in there.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Post#80 » by JB7 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:09 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

from 2.6B to 6.9B

That will be a healthy salary increase for the players. No wonder LBJ is hanging around. He'll probably try to play until he is 45 :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors