ImageImageImageImageImage

Keith Smith: Raptors 2024 offseason analysis

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 506

Keith Smith: Raptors 2024 offseason analysis 

Post#1 » by islandboy53 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm

From Keith Smith at Spotrac: Raptors' 2024 offseason analysis: "Continuing the reset without having to rebuild". This is a thoughtful, well reasoned look at what the Raptors are looking at this summer. Definitely worth a read.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/_/id/2234/2024-nba-offseason-financial-previews

"The Toronto Raptors did the hard part ahead of last season’s trade deadline: They hit the reset button. That meant trading away the last real ties to the 2019 title team by sending OG Anunoby to the New York Knicks and Pascal Siakam to the Indiana Pacers. But they were the right moves to get the franchise headed in a new direction. After missing the playoffs in three of the last four years, with one first-round exit mixed in, it was time to start over. The good news? The Raptors aren’t starting over from scratch."

"This offseason is crucial for Toronto, but not in an “adding talent” way. This summer is about locking up the players the Raptors already have in Scottie Barnes and Immanuel Quickley. Everything else is about finding the right guys to maximize what those two bring, especially players who fit with Barnes. That might be a two-year process, but if the Raptors get this right, this mini-postseason drought will be over before we know it."

In addition to these summary comments, Smith suggests the following:

- Barnes will get a max extension, likely allowing for 30% of the cap if he makes all NBA
- Quickley will get 4 years between $100 mil and $120 mil
- the Olynyk signing points to Toronto operating over the cap
- Brown's option will be picked up to allow him to be used in a trade
- Trent will move on (could be sign & trade)
- Nwora, Temple, Malik Williams could return, on a minimum deal
- Raps will use the MLE to target affordable options for backup PG and possibly 4/5 depth
- draft picks will be BPA
causal_fan
Junior
And1: 333

Re: Keith Smith: Raptors 2024 offseason analysis 

Post#2 » by causal_fan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:45 pm

Draft picks being the BPA is what the Raptors badly need.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 431

Post#3 » by manjusaka » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:28 pm

Wondering what can we get for Gary Trent jr’s sign and trade
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,665

Post#4 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

islandboy53 wrote:From Keith Smith at Spotrac: Raptors' 2024 offseason analysis: "Continuing the reset without having to rebuild". This is a thoughtful, well reasoned look at what the Raptors are looking at this summer. Definitely worth a read.

"The Toronto Raptors did the hard part ahead of last season’s trade deadline: They hit the reset button. That meant trading away the last real ties to the 2019 title team by sending OG Anunoby to the New York Knicks and Pascal Siakam to the Indiana Pacers. But they were the right moves to get the franchise headed in a new direction. After missing the playoffs in three of the last four years, with one first-round exit mixed in, it was time to start over. The good news? The Raptors aren’t starting over from scratch."

"This offseason is crucial for Toronto, but not in an “adding talent” way. This summer is about locking up the players the Raptors already have in Scottie Barnes and Immanuel Quickley. Everything else is about finding the right guys to maximize what those two bring, especially players who fit with Barnes. That might be a two-year process, but if the Raptors get this right, this mini-postseason drought will be over before we know it."

- Barnes will get a max extension, likely allowing for 30% of the cap if he makes all NBA
- Raps will use the MLE to target affordable options for backup PG and possibly 4/5 depth

It's not working in Phoenix. Would we trade expirings for Bradley Beal? Grayson Allen can play more.

#31, Bruce Brown, Ochai Agbaji, Chris Boucher and McDaniels for #22, Beal and cash

PG IQ - Castle/JFL
SG Beal - Castle - Dick
SF Barrett - Dick - #19
PF Barnes - Barrett/Olynyk
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Chomche
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,665

Post#5 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

manjusaka wrote:Wondering what can we get for Gary Trent jr’s sign and trade

Patrick Williams S&T?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,151

Post#6 » by ItsDanger » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

"Without having to rebuild"
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,611

Post#7 » by DG88 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm

Not adding talent.... Uh ok Keith
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,800

Post#8 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:56 pm

I doubt Temple retires. He loses his NBAPA positions if that happens. Needs to be on a roster.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,039

Post#9 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm

Meh, I think lots of stars will be available. I think lots of teams will tank in a great draft year. I think there isn't much difference between 8 and 2 in the east.

If we win the lottery, I could see us trading for a star
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:Meh, I think lots of stars will be available. I think lots of teams will tank in a great draft year. I think there isn't much difference between 8 and 2 in the east.

If Philly doesn't sign PG, I think the Sixers might tank and trade Embiid. If LeBron leaves I think AD could be available. The bucks are getting older, will Giannis or Dame be available? The Sun's are the best they'll ever be w no picks while being in cap hell. Will KD or Booker be available? Will small market NO lock up BI, Trey and JV or do they rebuild? Will the Jazz trade expiring Lauri and tank for cooper? Will Trae be available?
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,613

Post#11 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

Nothing because he isn’t valued in the league. Why would he opt in last summer if there was a good market for him? We also couldnt find a decent trade at the deadline even though the season was a wash and he can leave for nothing this summer. He’s a dime a dozen in the NBA.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,274

Post#12 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm

Psubs wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:From Keith Smith at Spotrac: Raptors' 2024 offseason analysis: "Continuing the reset without having to rebuild". This is a thoughtful, well reasoned look at what the Raptors are looking at this summer. Definitely worth a read.

It's not working in Phoenix. Would we trade expirings for Bradley Beal? Grayson Allen can play more.

#31, Bruce Brown, Ochai Agbaji, Chris Boucher and McDaniels for #22, Beal and cash

PG IQ - Castle/JFL
SG Beal - Castle - Dick
SF Barrett - Dick - #19
PF Barnes - Barrett/Olynyk
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Chomche

Yuuuuuuck

That contract is a killer. KD is a bette phoenix target if that’s the route you wanted to go. Shorter contract, cheaper to acquire, better, fits a need.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,613

Post#13 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:Meh, I think lots of stars will be available. I think lots of teams will tank in a great draft year. I think there isn't much difference between 8 and 2 in the east.

If Philly doesn't sign PG, I think the Sixers might tank and trade Embiid. If LeBron leaves I think AD could be available. The bucks are getting older, will Giannis or Dame be available? The Sun's are the best they'll ever be w no picks while being in cap hell. Will KD or Booker be available? Will small market NO lock up BI, Trey and JV or do they rebuild? Will the Jazz trade expiring Lauri and tank for cooper? Will Trae be available?

76ers aren’t tanking, they’re in win now mode. You don’t tank with a league MVP. They’ll go after PG, Pascal, etc.

Bucks are also in win now mode and they’ll bring Giannis and Dame back. Their excuse will be the roster and coaching changes set them back this season plus Giannis’s injury.

Lakers should blow it up but I think they’re delusional. That team is not good enough. Let LeBron compete for a last ring and maximize assets for AD. In reality I imagine they’ll keep the team together to give themselves false hope they are competing.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:

76ers aren’t tanking, they’re in win now mode. You don’t tank with a league MVP. They’ll go after PG, Pascal, etc.

Bucks are also in win now mode and they’ll bring Giannis and Dame back. Their excuse will be the roster and coaching changes set them back this season plus Giannis’s injury.

Lakers should blow it up but I think they’re delusional. That team is not good enough. Let LeBron compete for a last ring and maximize assets for AD. In reality I imagine they’ll keep the team together to give themselves false hope they are competing.

Sixers have got worse every year since we beat them. They will be even worse next year. Time to build around Embiid and tank

Bucks have no way to get better
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#15 » by goinrogue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 pm

I think it will be a sign and trade that sends Gary to the lakers. Lakers are also going to go hard for Trae this off season though so we shall see.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,998

Post#16 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 pm

I think the FO will take on some bad contracts this summer, as long as they can get back some 2025 and 2026 first round picks.

Something like...
Bruce Brown for John Collins + 2025 1st round Pick [CLE]
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,609

Post#17 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:07 pm

What are the MLE Targets, I'm assuming it's gonna be a backup PG or Backup 5
What about Wiseman for MLE ?? Is he a UFA?

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,731

Post#18 » by Ell Curry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:43 pm

I think very little. Maybe take on Gabe Vincent and get a look at Hood-Schiffino and some 2nd rounders we can use to shed Vincent's deal (like the Bagley trade) so we're basically just using Vincent as a backup guard for a year and getting JHS for nothing? I did not like him at the draft and he wasn't good in the G-League.

Or Levert and some 2nds?

I don't think there will be a good deal on the table, and most likely someone like Detroit, Orlando, San Antonio or Charlotte doesn't want to match a huge offer for Monk and just settles for paying Trent.
Where's the D?
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,199

Post#19 » by MiamiSPX » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 pm

DG88 wrote:Not adding talent.... Uh ok Keith

How can anyone watch these games and think the Raps are fine as far as talent is concerned lol?
Bull-E
Junior
And1: 285

Post#20 » by Bull-E » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 pm

I find the Gary Trent Jr. situation very mysterious. It just doesn't feel like they'll let him walk. I know the article mentions the idea of a sign-and-trade, but I believe a short-term extension is still a possibility too. Maybe there's value at extending him on a 1+1 deal, around 20 million. That creates similar value to what we have with Bruce Brown's deal now.

Return to Toronto Raptors