ImageImageImageImageImage

Keith Smith: Raptors 2024 offseason analysis

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,899

Re: Keith Smith: Raptors 2024 offseason analysis 

Post#21 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:I think the FO will take on some bad contracts this summer, as long as they can get back some 2025 and 2026 first round picks.

Something like...
Bruce Brown for John Collins + 2025 1st round Pick [CLE]

Yuck!

Or just offer Utah $15M for the 22nd pick in next year's draft - which is probably where the CLE pick lands.

I don't want to see Collins OR Brown on this team next year.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,899

Post#22 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 pm

Bull-E wrote:I find the Gary Trent Jr. situation very mysterious. It just doesn't feel like they'll let him walk. I know the article mentions the idea of a sign-and-trade, but I believe a short-term extension is still a possibility too. Maybe there's value at extending him on a 1+1 deal, around 20 million. That creates similar value to what we have with Bruce Brown's deal now.

I'd rather keep Gary then Bruce for the same money, and no, I don't think Gary is worth $23M or whatever the BB contract calls for next season. Just drop BB and S&T Gary. It's too risky picking up BB's deal and then hoping a deal goes through after. It feels like we'd be F'ing ourselves again, just like we did with Dragic.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,998

Post#23 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 pm

deeps6x wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I think the FO will take on some bad contracts this summer, as long as they can get back some 2025 and 2026 first round picks.

Something like...

Yuck!

Or just offer Utah $15M for the 22nd pick in next year's draft - which is probably where the CLE pick lands.

Bobby said they'll look to take on some money this summer so don't rule it out. Especially if we're getting back a 2025 or 2026 pick.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,695

Post#24 » by C_Money » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
DG88 wrote:Not adding talent.... Uh ok Keith

How can anyone watch these games and think the Raps are fine as far as talent is concerned lol?

There’s a section of the fanbase who think all we have to do is add a wing defender and we’re good.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,468

Post#25 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

islandboy53 wrote:From Keith Smith at Spotrac: Raptors' 2024 offseason analysis: "Continuing the reset without having to rebuild". This is a thoughtful, well reasoned look at what the Raptors are looking at this summer. Definitely worth a read.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/_/id/2234/2024-nba-offseason-financial-previews

"The Toronto Raptors did the hard part ahead of last season’s trade deadline: They hit the reset button. That meant trading away the last real ties to the 2019 title team by sending OG Anunoby to the New York Knicks and Pascal Siakam to the Indiana Pacers. But they were the right moves to get the franchise headed in a new direction. After missing the playoffs in three of the last four years, with one first-round exit mixed in, it was time to start over. The good news? The Raptors aren’t starting over from scratch."

"This offseason is crucial for Toronto, but not in an “adding talent” way. This summer is about locking up the players the Raptors already have in Scottie Barnes and Immanuel Quickley. Everything else is about finding the right guys to maximize what those two bring, especially players who fit with Barnes. That might be a two-year process, but if the Raptors get this right, this mini-postseason drought will be over before we know it."

In addition to these summary comments, Smith suggests the following:

- Barnes will get a max extension, likely allowing for 30% of the cap if he makes all NBA
- Quickley will get 4 years between $100 mil and $120 mil
- the Olynyk signing points to Toronto operating over the cap
- Brown's option will be picked up to allow him to be used in a trade
- Trent will move on (could be sign & trade)
- Nwora, Temple, Malik Williams could return, on a minimum deal
- Raps will use the MLE to target affordable options for backup PG and possibly 4/5 depth
- draft picks will be BPA

- Barnes max extension is a given. This should be the last move we make though so we can use capspace to do other things.

- I like Quickley at $100M/4yrs. $120M is a bit of an overpay IMO.

- Toronto will definitely be operating over the cap.

- First thing we should do is decline Brown's option unless someone is going offer us significant compensation to take on long-term money. Otherwise, we could probably grab two rotation players for what we're paying Brown and probably still have some change left over.

- How we use the MLE will largely depend on how the draft goes down. I really think targeting a vet PG like Lowry would be great... he could tutor our PG we take at 19. Other than that, signing a 3rd C off the bench would be good too...Biyombo maybe but those should both be veteran minimum deals. Would love to take a chance on Patrick Williams but the Bulls have matching rights so who knows if they will.

- Also don't need to S&T Trent unless it's coming with worthwhile compensation. Gotta be a 2025 pick or better if we're going to use our space to resign him and then probably end up taking back crap contracts. Otherwise, there's better things we could be doing with that money/space. Best thing to do is probably just let him walk.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,422

Post#26 » by TimeForChange » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 pm

C_Money wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
DG88 wrote:Not adding talent.... Uh ok Keith

How can anyone watch these games and think the Raps are fine as far as talent is concerned lol?

There’s a section of the fanbase who think all we have to do is add a wing defender and we’re good.

dudes on here think this team will finish top 4 in the east :lol:
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,767

Post#27 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:20 am

Psubs wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:From Keith Smith at Spotrac: Raptors' 2024 offseason analysis: "Continuing the reset without having to rebuild". This is a thoughtful, well reasoned look at what the Raptors are looking at this summer. Definitely worth a read.

"The Toronto Raptors did the hard part ahead of last season’s trade deadline: They hit the reset button. That meant trading away the last real ties to the 2019 title team by sending OG Anunoby to the New York Knicks and Pascal Siakam to the Indiana Pacers. But they were the right moves to get the franchise headed in a new direction. After missing the playoffs in three of the last four years, with one first-round exit mixed in, it was time to start over. The good news? The Raptors aren’t starting over from scratch."

"This offseason is crucial for Toronto, but not in an “adding talent” way. This summer is about locking up the players the Raptors already have in Scottie Barnes and Immanuel Quickley. Everything else is about finding the right guys to maximize what those two bring, especially players who fit with Barnes. That might be a two-year process, but if the Raptors get this right, this mini-postseason drought will be over before we know it."

- Barnes will get a max extension, likely allowing for 30% of the cap if he makes all NBA
- Raps will use the MLE to target affordable options for backup PG and possibly 4/5 depth

It's not working in Phoenix. Would we trade expirings for Bradley Beal? Grayson Allen can play more.

#31, Bruce Brown, Ochai Agbaji, Chris Boucher and McDaniels for #22, Beal and cash

PG IQ - Castle/JFL
SG Beal - Castle - Dick
SF Barrett - Dick - #19
PF Barnes - Barrett/Olynyk
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Chomche

Can you combine a S&T with other players?

Like a Trent + Brown + Boucher S&T combined deal?

I don’t know if that’s possible, but it would be interesting. Phx gets the depth they need, we get an SG who can age out while Scottie ascends, and move up from #31 to #22
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 550

Post#28 » by SpezNc » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:25 am

Am I the only one who is skeptical that Bruce Brown is holding that much value? Otherwise would have been traded at deadline.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,800

Post#29 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:28 am

SpezNc wrote:Am I the only one who is skeptical that Bruce Brown is holding that much value? Otherwise would have been traded at deadline.

I’m very sceptical.

Only thing giving me pause is on draft night once 2024 picks used, the new currency becomes 2025 picks. Also, luxury tax and financial issues for 2024-2025 become more real once the season calendar flips. Finally, a lot of teams will be reevaluating their situation after regular season, play in, and playoffs.

But yeah, I’m still sceptical.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,054

Post#30 » by DelAbbot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 am

ItsDanger wrote:"Without having to rebuild"

They can delay it all they want

isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#31 » by isyed » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:45 am

SpezNc wrote:Am I the only one who is skeptical that Bruce Brown is holding that much value? Otherwise would have been traded at deadline.
I was but I think there is more there from a cap perspective. Long term money is a real thing and the new luxury tax is going to kill teams that are not clear winners.

Thank compensation is going to have to be good. If the contract is horrible then we take 2 picks. Otherwise atleast a 1st rounder with some semi usable player.

Bruce Brown is an amazing contract for those teams that can just not pick up his option. Beal from the suns or Wiggins from gsw are starting points. Beal should net us atleast 2 picks.

Sent from my SM-F946W using RealGM mobile app
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,054

Post#32 » by DelAbbot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:49 am

Something like...

I am all for taking on bad contracts and FRPs (a move acceptable for a team committed in a rebuild) but Masai will say no for sure
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,608

Post#33 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:

- Barnes max extension is a given. This should be the last move we make though so we can use capspace to do other things.

- I like Quickley at $100M/4yrs. $120M is a bit of an overpay IMO.

- Toronto will definitely be operating over the cap.

- First thing we should do is decline Brown's option unless someone is going offer us significant compensation to take on long-term money. Otherwise, we could probably grab two rotation players for what we're paying Brown and probably still have some change left over.

- How we use the MLE will largely depend on how the draft goes down. I really think targeting a vet PG like Lowry would be great... he could tutor our PG we take at 19. Other than that, signing a 3rd C off the bench would be good too...Biyombo maybe but those should both be veteran minimum deals. Would love to take a chance on Patrick Williams but the Bulls have matching rights so who knows if they will.

- Also don't need to S&T Trent unless it's coming with worthwhile compensation. Gotta be a 2025 pick or better if we're going to use our space to resign him and then probably end up taking back crap contracts. Otherwise, there's better things we could be doing with that money/space. Best thing to do is probably just let him walk.

If we let Gary walk and decline brown then we are not operating over the cap if I'm not mistaken

In Raptor Ball I Trust
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,800

Post#34 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 am

isyed wrote:
I was but I think there is more there from a cap perspective. Long term money is a real thing and the new luxury tax is going to kill teams that are not clear winners.

Thank compensation is going to have to be good. If the contract is horrible then we take 2 picks. Otherwise atleast a 1st rounder with some semi usable player.

Bruce Brown is an amazing contract for those teams that can just not pick up his option. Beal from the suns or Wiggins from gsw are starting points. Beal should net us atleast 2 picks.

Sent from my SM-F946W using RealGM mobile app

Brown’s contract has to be picked up to be traded and that doesn’t work for teams that want immediate relief.

Now if the Raptors decline the option then they could offer teams the immediate relief with their cap space.

Same end result but needs to be clarified Brown can’t be traded unless his option is picked up.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,361

Post#35 » by JB7 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 am

TimeForChange wrote:
C_Money wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

dudes on here think this team will finish top 4 in the east :lol:

The East sucks. Magic went from 13th seed in the East in 2022-23 to 5th seed in 2023-24, primarily because the East sucks.

Outside of the Celtics and Knicks, the rest of the East looks questionable next season.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,480

Post#36 » by Cyrus » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 am

manjusaka wrote:Wondering what can we get for Gary Trent jr’s sign and trade

Couple of 2nd rounders if we lucky.

Gray Trent will be a team like pistons over paying him when they can't get the top guys.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,361

Post#37 » by JB7 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 am

Cyrus wrote:

Gray Trent will be a team like pistons over paying him when they can't get the top guys.

If he signs with the Pistons or Magic, forget the draft picks, the Raps will be lucky to not be the team paying him $18M.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,371

Post#38 » by Scase » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 am

Psubs wrote:

It's not working in Phoenix. Would we trade expirings for Bradley Beal? Grayson Allen can play more.

#31, Bruce Brown, Ochai Agbaji, Chris Boucher and McDaniels for #22, Beal and cash

PG IQ - Castle/JFL
SG Beal - Castle - Dick
SF Barrett - Dick - #19
PF Barnes - Barrett/Olynyk
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Chomche

Ignoring the fact that it would never happen with Beal having a NTC. Why in gods name would we help out the suns for literally nothing? Beal is washed, and on one of, if not the worst contract in the NBA.
Props TZ!
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,480

Post#39 » by Cyrus » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 am

JB7 wrote:
Cyrus wrote:

If he signs with the Pistons or Magic, forget the draft picks, the Raps will be lucky to not be the team paying him $18M.

Indeed...

S&T don't make sense, if he gets like 18 mill, no reason for team with cap space to trade for him, unless they have their cap space tied to someone else.

If he's making 9-10 mill, why wouldn't that team just sign him with MLE, if he had good value, he would have been moved the last couple years.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,136

Post#40 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
deeps6x wrote:

Something like...

Yuck!

Bobby said they'll look to take on some money this summer so don't rule it out. Especially if we're getting back a 2025 or 2026 pick.

But that means being a cap space team, and discarding Gary and BB. Kelly's contract aside, it doesn't make sense that we would give up Schroder for nothing if the intention was to operate above the cap (unless he really was a team cancer).

I can only see operating above the cap if we stay in the top six, and have to pay up to 10 mill/yr for Stephon Castle :roll: or whoever.

Return to Toronto Raptors