ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Realsitic Raptors Offseason

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,919

Re: Your Realsitic Raptors Offseason 

Post#81 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:48 am

Chandan wrote:why are people seem to be enamored by PWILL?

We could deal Scottie and acquire both PatWil and RobWil like when we once brought in AWil and EWil for Vince.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,283

Post#82 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:55 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

We could deal Scottie and acquire both PatWil and RobWil like when we once brought in AWil and EWil for Vince.

I don’t get it either. Guy is an RFA so you are going to over pay, and he really isn’t worth being overpaid.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,252

Post#83 » by Appostis » Sun May 5, 2024 10:12 am

2019nbachamps wrote:I don’t think our offseason is influenced by the draft. If anything, losing our pick gives us more flexibility and a huge trade chip (our 2025 FRP). This is gonna be a busy summer in the nba and we’ll be in the mix looking to make some deals.

...so it does literally be impacted by the draft..
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#84 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun May 5, 2024 11:07 am

I don’t get the Patrick Williams love

Even when healthy he hasn’t shown much more than a solid role player

4th year and never averaged more than 10 points per game

Maybe he is a late bloomer but the idea of paying him $25m is scary. At that price range you need to be paying for more than potential and, 4 years in, potential is still his label.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#85 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun May 5, 2024 11:12 am

Two “realistic” off season scenarios

1) lose the pick: trade Poeltl for a prospect and 2024 lottery pick. Use cap space to acquire distressed assets for draft capital.

2) keep the pick: trade Poeltl for a prospect and 2025 pick. Use cap space to acquire distressed contracts for draft capital.

Both scenarios see next season as a tank with Kelly O starting at C

One more season to develop young guys and implement system (read: tank) for elite talent and 2025-2026 is when they start trying to legit compete again
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#86 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun May 5, 2024 11:35 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:Two “realistic” off season scenarios

1) lose the pick: trade Poeltl for a prospect and 2024 lottery pick. Use cap space to acquire distressed assets for draft capital.

2) keep the pick: trade Poeltl for a prospect and 2025 pick. Use cap space to acquire distressed contracts for draft capital.

One more season to develop young guys and implement system (read: tank) for elite talent and 2025-2026 is when they start trying to legit compete again

I think Masai is too stubborn to tank from the jump. He likes optionality
LoganAndWade
Ballboy
And1: 36

Post#87 » by LoganAndWade » Sun May 5, 2024 12:46 pm

I really don’t get the “let Gary walk” plan
So many in here, love to list all the times we “let players walk “ for nothing…
Gary is a top notch shooter, he has value in this league . There’s no way it’s a good idea to let an asset walk for nothing when u can resign him.. and if he isn’t fitting in the way we like, he becomes a tradeable asset down the line !
RaptorLakerJay
Senior
And1: 274

Post#88 » by RaptorLakerJay » Tue May 7, 2024 2:45 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

I don’t get it either. Guy is an RFA so you are going to over pay, and he really isn’t worth being overpaid.

You see the impact that Jaden McDaniels has and then you'll realize how important the Raps get a guy like PWill.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,510

Post#89 » by dagger » Tue May 7, 2024 3:07 pm

If, after the lottery we have three draft picks, I don't expect Masai will use all three. We'll use one pick somewhere for other purposes, like trading it for talent, or trading it to move another pick up, or trading it for a pick in 2025 or some combination thereof.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,270

Post#90 » by MiamiSPX » Tue May 7, 2024 3:12 pm

dagger wrote:If, after the lottery we have three draft picks, I don't expect Masai will use all three. We'll use one pick somewhere for other purposes, like trading it for talent, or trading it to move another pick up, or trading it for a pick in 2025 or some combination thereof.

If we keep our pick, I think they move the Indy pick. Probably not for anything substantial, but I do think it's moved.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

Post#91 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 7, 2024 3:36 pm

Has Masai ever traded a pick during the draft? I can't recall a time.

Masai also hasn't had 3 draft picks in the top 31 before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used all the picks. They need to add as many cheap productive contracts as possible because IQ's getting paid and Barnes' max is coming and they will need some cheap depth...
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,339

Post#92 » by Shakril » Tue May 7, 2024 8:24 pm

Everything depends on what the FO actually wants, a quick turnaround or tank severeal years of tanking.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,919

Post#93 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:42 pm

LoganAndWade wrote:I really don’t get the “let Gary walk” plan
Gary is a top notch shooter, he has value in this league . There’s no way it’s a good idea to let an asset walk for nothing when u can resign him.. and if he isn’t fitting in the way we like, he becomes a tradeable asset down the line !

Is Gary after these many years a complete player at 18-22 mil? We should walk from one of Gary or Bruce but not paying Bruce his year two is a bad look. Brown's agent is Ty Sullivan who reps Donovan Mitchell. If we ever want to be players in the market I would not cheap on one year of Bruce Brown. We could be a landing place for Jordan Hawkins down the road. So I will take one year of Bruce at 23m vs. 3+ of Gary for 50-60. Any day of the week.
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,607

Post#94 » by AbC? » Tue May 7, 2024 9:44 pm

All I know is IQ is getting a player option.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,716

Post#95 » by C_Money » Tue May 7, 2024 9:49 pm

AbC? wrote:All I know is IQ is getting a player option.

I hope Masai doesn’t screw this up. We need to lock up IQ long term with no options. Same with Scottie.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,057

Post#96 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue May 7, 2024 11:21 pm

BBQ-Dick is an excellent young core moving forward.

Need to surround them with the right pieces.

I believe at least two of those guys will be All-Stars (Barnes & Quickley).
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,500

Post#97 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:50 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
LoganAndWade wrote:I really don’t get the “let Gary walk” plan

Is Gary after these many years a complete player at 18-22 mil? We should walk from one of Gary or Bruce but not paying Bruce his year two is a bad look. Brown's agent is Ty Sullivan who reps Donovan Mitchell. If we ever want to be players in the market I would not cheap on one year of Bruce Brown. We could be a landing place for Jordan Hawkins down the road. So I will take one year of Bruce at 23m vs. 3+ of Gary for 50-60. Any day of the week.

I'm personally not going to be worried about agents in this scenario. Brown was never worth that deal in the first place - it was offered to him by Indiana because a) they needed veterans and b) they needed a bigger contract to facilitate bigger moves. The only way I would be picking up his Team Option is if there's a team that's going to overpay (in terms of picks in 2025/26 and/or young players) to dump long term salary. If we don't retain the pick this year, this is something that may be worth considering.

If we do keep the pick this year and we don't get an adequate offer for taking on longer term salary, then he should be declined to make some room for free agent signings. I would also let Trent walk unless Chicago is interested in him as a part of a S&T for Patrick Williams. Not sure how CHI feels about him but I would feel fairly comfortable about offering $80M/4yrs.

At #6, I think you look at one of Holland, Williams, Buzelis or Dillingham. If these guys are not on the board or you don't want them for whatever legitimate reason, the pick can be moved to the Spurs or we can move down in the draft or out of it completely. With #19, we need to take a guard and depending on what we did with #6, you could take one of Holmes, Simpson, Watkins, Jones or Tyson at #31. From there, we use the capspace to sign some veterans - Lowry, Biyombo...maybe the MLE on Jalen Smith as well and another cheap wing.

Lastly, you re-up Quickley. Would like to get him somewhere in the range of $25-27M AVV at most.

Quickley/Lowry/#19 (Carter or MCain) or #31 (Simpson)
Barrett/Dick/Agbaji
Williams/#6 (Holland, Buzelis, Williams) or #31 (Watkins, Jones,Tyson)/Veteran
Barnes/Smith/Boucher
Poeltl/Olynk/Biyombo

We can always still move Boucher, Poeltl and the Pacers pick if we want to move up in 2025.
MikeG
Junior
And1: 407

Post#98 » by MikeG » Wed May 8, 2024 12:10 am

Is there any team that would actually trade a lotto pick (or even a FRP in general) for Poeltl that can also digest or match the salary? I’m not even sure that’s on the table at all- although I’d love it to be.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,959
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#99 » by will » Wed May 8, 2024 12:40 am

MikeG wrote:

Is there any team that would actually trade a lotto pick (or even a FRP in general) for Poeltl that can also digest or match the salary? I’m not even sure that’s on the table at all- although I’d love it to be.

A GM who wants to trade for a center with a big salary and can't hit a freethrow worth a damn.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#100 » by Thaddy » Wed May 8, 2024 12:45 am

MikeG wrote:

Memphis could trade Kennard and 8th for Poeltl. The success the Wolves are having with two bigs might motivate them to shift JJJ back to PF. We would have a lower pick than what we gave up to the Spurs though. Not sure how the optics of that would look.

Return to Toronto Raptors