ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Realsitic Raptors Offseason

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,635

Re: Your Realsitic Raptors Offseason 

Post#61 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:13 am

We need our own version of a Johnathon Issac or Jaiden McDaniels or OG again

In Raptor Ball I Trust
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,317

Post#62 » by YogurtProducer » Sat May 4, 2024 1:46 am

billy_hoyle wrote:
nikster wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:So we get Pat Will at a huge overpay (and one that Chicago could match, leaving us with nothing)
Jalen Smith who is just Boucher 2.0
And a "maybe" at the room exception because there is no guarantee those guys pick us when every team will offer them that deal.

It just sounds like we get worse players, for the same money, lose flexibility in making moves (cant trade those guys like you can Brown), and give up pick #31 to do it.

Give me GTJ/Brown/31/Boucher over Will/Smith/Harris any day of the week.

Yeah makes no sense to give all that up when your best target is Patrick Williams. He's an RFA and the Bulls have no reason to give him up unless they thinks he's overpaid. And even on a fair deal don't know why we would commit long term money to him if he's not a fit in the starting lineup, don't really think his potential is that high.

Funny that he says GTJ is "a free agent we might not even be able to sign" when that applies to everyone he would want to target lol

Why is that funny?

I laid out a plan where we open up cap space to pursue Free agents at positions of need (Big and SF).

Yogurt Producer says to paraphrase....bad idea because we would be giving up 4 assets (including GTJ)... To maybe sigh free agents...

I pointed out that to rebut his stance that GTJ is a free agent...so how is he part of any asset calculus?

Literally MY lol that he includes GTJ as an asset. He's a FA.

Do people read entire threads here?

You guys want to keep Boucher, Brown and 31, and possible keep GTJ at the expense of FA flexibility.

That's a defendable stance.

I think it makes way more sense to renounce and chase better fitting FA.

We can still circle back and resign Bruce or GTJ to a more reasonable rate if we miss out RFAs.

Let's see what happens here.

By the time you “circle back” those guys are gone.

That’s why planning your entire FA around overpaying annRFA is a horrible idea. Best case you overpay an RFA. Worst case everyone is gone by the time they match
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,156

Post#63 » by billy_hoyle » Sat May 4, 2024 2:03 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
nikster wrote:Yeah makes no sense to give all that up when your best target is Patrick Williams. He's an RFA and the Bulls have no reason to give him up unless they thinks he's overpaid. And even on a fair deal don't know why we would commit long term money to him if he's not a fit in the starting lineup, don't really think his potential is that high.

Funny that he says GTJ is "a free agent we might not even be able to sign" when that applies to everyone he would want to target lol

Why is that funny?

I laid out a plan where we open up cap space to pursue Free agents at positions of need (Big and SF).

Yogurt Producer says to paraphrase....bad idea because we would be giving up 4 assets (including GTJ)... To maybe sigh free agents...

I pointed out that to rebut his stance that GTJ is a free agent...so how is he part of any asset calculus?

You guys want to keep Boucher, Brown and 31, and possible keep GTJ at the expense of FA flexibility.

We can still circle back and resign Bruce or GTJ to a more reasonable rate if we miss out RFAs.

That’s why planning your entire FA around overpaying annRFA is a horrible idea. Best case you overpay an RFA. Worst case everyone is gone by the time they match

I'll bet that if we renounce GTJ and decline the Bruce Brown they will still be available for us after a failed RFA pitch to Pat Will. Worth the risk IMO.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,933

Post#64 » by nikster » Sat May 4, 2024 2:24 am

billy_hoyle wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
Why is that funny?

I'll bet that if we renounce GTJ and decline the Bruce Brown they will still be available for us after a failed RFA pitch to Pat Will. Worth the risk IMO.

whats worth the risk? Best case scenario we overpay for Williams?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#65 » by Ell Curry » Sat May 4, 2024 3:03 am

If we keep the the pick and it does not convey to San Antonio go full tank. - Renounce Brown, take on Lonzo or Ben Simmons if you can get some draft pick equity, probably even deal Poeltl.

If we convey the pick this year, not too much really, probably keep Brown and move him later.

I think the 2025 draft getting us a wing, even if we draft as bad as 11th or 12th, is still our best option for getting a proper co-star with Barnes, leaving Quickley, Barrett and Poeltl in good roles for them, even if that means Barrett coming off the bench so a defensive wing can start and hopefully RJ is a 6th man of the year quality guy with Dick and Olynyk as 7th and 8th men providing shooting and probably you want a defensive PG type with the bench offence being Olynyk-PF-Barrett-Dick-PG which should be alright even if Quickley and Barnes don't stagger at all.

If we don't have a pick in 2025, I think we're in real trouble in terms of getting enough offensive juice without making some sort of Mitchell/Gobert style 4 firsts and swaps for a scorer type deal down the road, and those guys often don't want to come to Toronto so you need to find one with multiple years left and that's even harder.
Where's the D?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,709

Post#66 » by DG88 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:10 am

What the Raptors do this off season really depends on how the lottery shakes out. Mainly do to cap reasons it will change the FO's approach. Ideally I think the Raptors want to keep their cap flexibility for as long as possible until they're ready to compete as a playoff team. At this juncture of their rebuild, it should be about asset accumulation and being opportunistic when the time comes.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#67 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:11 pm

DG88 wrote:What the Raptors do this off season really depends on how the lottery shakes out. Mainly do to cap reasons it will change the FO's approach. Ideally I think the Raptors want to keep their cap flexibility for as long as possible until they're ready to compete as a playoff team. At this juncture of their rebuild, it should be about asset accumulation and being opportunistic when the time comes.

Yes and while one poster made a case that you ideally cannot retain Brown and fetch Wiggins, the latter is just a bad idea that amounts to having an overpay outside Scottie's timeline never mind the cap. Brown on the other hand is a viable tradable asset which would be on the clock for next year's deadline. Equals asset accumulation despite being a double down proposition. Gary is just bad timing all around and is not good enough value in a rebuild but has "cap value" expiring. So I say Brown stays and Gary goes and yes, especially if they convey the lotto pick. You are making also a case for not throwing the #31 into any consolidated move like Boucher + McDaniels trade. If the competitive window starts in Fall 2025 then best to let Boucher and McDaniel's just expire that same year. This also changes our possible #19 and #31 selections and whether we retain a player like Nwora. Nwora has, at the very least, age, size and experience like Gary. If we want want cap flexibility better to replace his roster salary slot with #31.

At #19 Bleacher Report mock has these players available: Tyler Smith, Tristan da Silva, Tidjane Salaun, Zach Edey, Johnny Furphy, Kyshawn George, Kevin McCullar Jr., Yves Missi. Some of these will also be gone obviously.

One of the above IS a rotation talent and one or two others must surely drop to #31.

What to do with the non-tax MLE of 12.9 million? Caleb Martin is going to decline his player option without a doubt. Is 13 mil x 3 years plus 4th year team option viable? that would be Caleb Martin 52 mil x 4 years 3 of which are guaranteed.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,262

Post#68 » by TorontoBarneys » Sat May 4, 2024 2:29 pm

As long as we keep our pick this year I will be largely content. Really want that to be the outcome.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,972

Post#69 » by wegotthabeet » Sat May 4, 2024 5:55 pm

1. Draft Sarr if they keep the pick.
2. Draft a PG @ 19 (Collier, McCain, Carter)
3. Trade Pöltl to MEM for 2025 FRP
4. Trade Brown for Pat Williams S&T
5. Renounce GTJ

Quickley - Carter
Barrett - Dick
Williams - Agbaji
Barnes - Boucher
Sarr - Olynyk

bottom out one more year. that starting lineup would all be 25 and under, they can wait. try to keep the 2025 pick too. two frp's picks in 2024. two in 2025. one in 2026.

ok this is probably idealistic than realistic, but whatever.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,611

Post#70 » by Ackshun » Sat May 4, 2024 6:05 pm

DG88 wrote:What the Raptors do this off season really depends on how the lottery shakes out. Mainly do to cap reasons it will change the FO's approach. Ideally I think the Raptors want to keep their cap flexibility for as long as possible until they're ready to compete as a playoff team. At this juncture of their rebuild, it should be about asset accumulation and being opportunistic when the time comes.

Yeah man. All this Wiggins/Ingram stuff is not needed, unless it comes with significant assets, which it won’t.

We chose a direction. Time to follow through. Keep your picks, develop talent, wait for good trade opportunities, find under-utilized free agents at a fair price tag and go from there.

The last thing we need to do is commit major salary and handcuff ourselves again.. we just freed ourselves from those handcuffs.

I’m hoping we keep the pick (and move up). Lots of question marks about Brown Jr, Trent Jr and some other stuff but I’ll wait til the lottery to dream up a scenario. That’s the one thing that’s not in our control.

If we keep our pick this year, I’m confident we will convey in 2025. So I’d dangle Brown Jr + #19 for a 2025 pick if our guy isn’t there. I think it’s crucial to keep a steady flow of incoming talent at this stage of the retool.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,299

Post#71 » by ItsDanger » Sat May 4, 2024 6:13 pm

Clear out the roster and be aggressive in adding young players. Being passive around the draft is a mistake.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,823

Post#72 » by ash_k » Sat May 4, 2024 7:02 pm

Get 2 TOp20 picks and sign&trade GTJ for Pat Williams
Get 2 out of Alexandre Sarr/Zaccharie Risacher/Tidjane Salaun
OR
User our picks to get Bilal Coulibably
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#73 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat May 4, 2024 8:14 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:I have outlined the 3 main holes that the Raptors need to address this offseason to help compile a balanced roster.

In:
Backup PG - Monte Morris - Great buy low candidate coming off an injury plagued season.

Backup C - Jalen Smith - Indiana won't be able to afford all their talent so I believe we can take him away. He shoots 40%+ from 3 while being a good rebounder so it's a great pairing with Olynyk off the bench and good contrast to Poeltl.

Starting Wing - Wiggins - Now hear me out, im not saying he is the answer long term. I think we can get him while also receiving additional assets from Gstate to help with our rebuild. For the short term, he fills the need of a starting versatile wing defender. Long term, we need to hit on one of our draft picks to take over from Wiggins.

Out:
Trent (let go or accept whatever you get in sign and trade)
Brown (used in Wiggins trade)

PG Quickley/ Morris/ JFL
SG RJ/ Dick/ Ochai
SF Wiggins/ 2024 Draft pick/ McDaniels
PF Barnes/ Olynyk/ Boucher
C Poeltl/ Smith/ 2024 draft pick

Should have waited & made this thread after May 12th.

End of discussion.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#74 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat May 4, 2024 8:23 pm

I don’t think our offseason is influenced by the draft. If anything, losing our pick gives us more flexibility and a huge trade chip (our 2025 FRP). This is gonna be a busy summer in the nba and we’ll be in the mix looking to make some deals.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,308

Post#75 » by Tor_Raps » Sat May 4, 2024 8:27 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:I have outlined the 3 main holes that the Raptors need to address this offseason to help compile a balanced roster.

In:
Backup PG - Monte Morris - Great buy low candidate coming off an injury plagued season.

Backup C - Jalen Smith - Indiana won't be able to afford all their talent so I believe we can take him away. He shoots 40%+ from 3 while being a good rebounder so it's a great pairing with Olynyk off the bench and good contrast to Poeltl.

Starting Wing - Wiggins - Now hear me out, im not saying he is the answer long term. I think we can get him while also receiving additional assets from Gstate to help with our rebuild. For the short term, he fills the need of a starting versatile wing defender. Long term, we need to hit on one of our draft picks to take over from Wiggins.

Out:
Trent (let go or accept whatever you get in sign and trade)
Brown (used in Wiggins trade)

PG Quickley/ Morris/ JFL
SG RJ/ Dick/ Ochai
SF Wiggins/ 2024 Draft pick/ McDaniels
PF Barnes/ Olynyk/ Boucher
C Poeltl/ Smith/ 2024 draft pick

Should have waited & made this thread after May 12th.

End of discussion.

I agree and thought the same thing but boredom won out so here we are lol
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#76 » by Rapsalot » Sat May 4, 2024 8:47 pm

I love the idea of this post! I just feel a lot of the rebuild and offseason hinges on the top 6 pick or not?

If we get that pick it “should” fill one of our holes. The 19th or 31 pick “could” help but not fill.

Needs backup PG, backup PF/C maybe more athletic player as JP and KO are both slower but effective. 3-D forward starter or near starter. I believe RJ is best at SG but, that means SF or PF so Scottie can start other. Once Lottery happens this speed of rebuild will be more known. Would love top 6 pick this year be a top 8-9 team next year and send pick to Spurs then?
zmad
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#77 » by zmad » Sat May 4, 2024 11:30 pm

Tell me what you all think?

New Lineup

Starters
PG Immanuel Quickley - Re-Sign
SG Gradey Dick
SF RJ Barret
PF Scottie Barnes
SF Jakob Poeltl

Bench
PG Reed Sheppard - 1st Draft Pick
SG Ochai Agbaji
SF Kelly Oubre - Free Agent Signing
PF Kelly Olynyk
C Isaiah Hartenstein - Free Agent Signing

3rd String
PG Javon Freeman-Liberty
SG Kyshawn George - 2nd Draft Pick
SF Jalen McDaniels
PF Chris Boucher
C Zach Edey - 3rd Draft Pick

Other Movements
- Decline Bruce Browns contract
- Let GTJ go

Notes
- Goal of 1st pick (assuming it stays in 4-6 range) is to get a young PG (Reed Sheppard or Rob Dilingham) with the first pick
- Goal of 2nd pick is to get some shooting
- Goal of 3rd pick is to get a big
- Free agent signings are focused on a backup C and a dynamic SG/SF that can put up points (Oubre, Monk, etc.)
- Unfortunately nobody wants Boucher or McDaniels, so we keep them and hopefully trade them at the trade deadline for something of value
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 525

Post#78 » by CazOnReal » Sat May 4, 2024 11:58 pm

Given the recent allegations re: Drake, i'd settle for dropping any and all association with him and the team.
2019nbachamps wrote:I don’t think our offseason is influenced by the draft. If anything, losing our pick gives us more flexibility and a huge trade chip (our 2025 FRP). This is gonna be a busy summer in the nba and we’ll be in the mix looking to make some deals.

Why would we trade our 2025 pick in the midst of a retool?

Trading that late 1st we got in the Siakam deal for Ochai/Olynyk made sense; it gave us a young-ish player with some upside (not all-Star but I can see them becoming a quality rotational player) and a good veteran who can either stay with the team or be moved down the line. Trading our 25 pick is nonsensical and frankly, if we were to make a big offseason move it would make way more sense to have a lottery pick that conveys this year along with pick #19, Brown, etc. for a competitive package. Yes, even in a weak draft. If we trade our 2025 pick for a star or in general upgrade the roster, that pick isn't going to be as valuable even if it's in a better draft (which to be blunt, the jury is still out on that beyond it having an obvious #1 talent in Cooper Flagg) - and it's debatable if we'd even leave it unprotected after what happened with the Poeltl trade if it does convey.

Let's not forget that we traded a Top 10 protected pick for Kawhi Leonard.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#79 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:25 am

zmad wrote:Tell me what you all think?

New Lineup

Starters
SG Gradey Dick
SF RJ Barret
PF Scottie Barnes
SF Jakob Poeltl

Bench
PG Reed Sheppard - 1st Draft Pick
SG Ochai Agbaji
SF Kelly Oubre - Free Agent Signing
PF Kelly Olynyk
C Isaiah Hartenstein - Free Agent Signing

3rd String
PG Javon Freeman-Liberty
SG Kyshawn George - 2nd Draft Pick
SF Jalen McDaniels
PF Chris Boucher
C Zach Edey - 3rd Draft Pick

Other Movements
- Decline Bruce Browns contract
- Let GTJ go

Notes
- Goal of 1st pick (assuming it stays in 4-6 range) is to get a young PG (Reed Sheppard or Rob Dilingham) with the first pick
- Goal of 2nd pick is to get some shooting
- Goal of 3rd pick is to get a big
- Free agent signings are focused on a backup C and a dynamic SG/SF that can put up points (Oubre, Monk, etc.)
- Unfortunately nobody wants Boucher or McDaniels, so we keep them and hopefully trade them at the trade deadline for something of value

I would not be unhappy about this above but only Topic would I really want to take as top 6 point guaod. Too many lengthy wings in this draft. If at the combines the crop of point guards show significantly better than the lengthy 3-4's then sure maybe swing for Dillingham. Smartest thing here is Grade E. Dick starting but I slot him in at the 3. Minor point though as that yes that should be our starting 5. I pass on Oubre. I insert Zac Edey in the rotation without question. If Edey isn't there I pick Tyler Smith. I do not sign Hartenstein. Decline Brown? Hmmm. He is way better than he showed injured. We should give him every chance to max his value.

Starters
SG RJ
SF Gradey Dick
PF Scottie Barnes
SF Jakob Poeltl

Bench
PG Monte Morris
SG Bruce Brown
SF Ochai Agbaji
PF Kelly Olynyk
C Zac Edey picked at #19 or Tyler Smith