ImageImageImageImageImage

Rudy Gay Trashes Toronto

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,974

Re: Rudy Gay Trashes Toronto 

Post#41 » by refshateRaps » Thu May 2, 2024 9:59 pm

Rudy was one of the most overrated players of our time.

But you can't grill the guy for being honest. And many of y'all overrate this City. Especially for players from the US playing the bulk of the season in winter.

If I was born in the US I'd more then likely feel the exact same way.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,501

Post#42 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:00 pm

Gay played some of the worst basketball I've ever seen during his tenure here. I'd be careful about criticizing anyone if I were him.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#43 » by alpngso » Thu May 2, 2024 10:01 pm

That’s why Raps signed Kelly O and will draft Edey. Keep that Canadian culture strong
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,271

Post#44 » by MiamiSPX » Thu May 2, 2024 10:02 pm

F this guy.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,805

Post#45 » by Raps in 4 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:05 pm

I didn't realize this guy was on an NBA roster as recently as last season. I thought he retired/went to China after his Sacramento stint.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#46 » by Kevin Willis » Thu May 2, 2024 10:08 pm

I think people misunderstood what he meant. Memphis was a really good team with quality players - legendary, grind type players. We were really bad. So I am not sure why he would want to come here either and not stay in Memphis. Also he's trying to act a certain way in front of his boys because he was offended. Truth is he was saying he should've been drafted here instead of that other guy AND he enjoyed being the man on a team. So he's not wrong and it's nothing to get offended about.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,952

Post#47 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:25 pm

And1Skip wrote:what a douche. I still remember right after the trade the Open Gym team filming every single step he made from picking him up from the airport to riding in the car on the Gardiner. Him saying he was very excited and that why didn't BC draft him in the first place. Of course, all that was fake.

Dude it wasn't fake.

You have to remember Rudy was brought here to become our new #1 option and franchise player...many thought at just 26 years old he was an up and coming star who needed a different environment to thrive after being stuck behind Marc and Z-Bo. This was a dream scenario for any player.

He blew it spectacularly and once he was traded our team became a contender for the rest of the decade and his buddies Lowry and Derozan became perennial all-stars, something he never achieved.

Now in hindsight he acts like he didn't even want to come...just BS and pretty sad for him. Lowry and Derozan will get their jerseys retired here, both will make the hall of fame, and he will be forgotten in a few years.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,122

Post#48 » by Potential » Thu May 2, 2024 10:56 pm

Lol it's hilarious looking at these 2 inefficient bricklaying career ringless losers laughing at one of the best cities in the world where most NBA stars have as one of their top cities to be in. Everyone knows how much better Toronto and Memphis got once they traded that bum. This is also disrespectful to Lowry, DeRozan and Vince who are 3 guys he knows and they loved Toronto like no other. We need someone to respond and diss this bricklaying loser back
Prestige
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#49 » by Prestige » Thu May 2, 2024 10:56 pm

For players from the generation of Gay, and Melo, Toronto was an NBA wasteland. This was pre-social media when American players didn't have any idea of anything outside the US borders. Anybody in their 30s and older here knows. In addition, the franchise was terrible so players saw it as a death sentence. But we've moved on. The NBA is run by international stars who care less about where they play, the Raptors became a winning franchise and won a ring, and the only thing anybody remembers about Rudy's time here is that he helped us get better by trading him.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,303

Post#50 » by raptorstime » Thu May 2, 2024 11:04 pm

Miami as a city is so overrated.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#51 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu May 2, 2024 11:13 pm

One of the biggest wastes of talent ever.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
adubmac
Junior
And1: 669

Post#52 » by adubmac » Thu May 2, 2024 11:15 pm

There's a reason no one ever has accused Melo or Gay of having a high level of self awareness.
holy wack unlyrical lyrics
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#53 » by PerfectJab » Thu May 2, 2024 11:15 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:Comments like this from mid players like him is a reminder of how far the organization has come.

Before we would be excited at the prospect of someone of his level coming to play for us, now you have players better than he ever was gleeful about the prospect of playing in Toronto.

Let father time take care of bums like this.

It's kind of classless to say what he said but the reality is as the shine from the championship wears off, which is happening every season as the FO continues to show their true colors putting together losing teams, Toronto will be back to what it was.

A cold climate where players have to deal with longer flights and the inconvenience of going through customs.

That's the problem with this city when it comes to NBA players, no matter how you look at it, unless you really love the city it's inconvenient. There's really nothing whether it be weather or taxes that makes it a plus as an NBA player. You can sign and obtain similar things in other cities that are less inconvenient.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,264

Post#54 » by Childs » Thu May 2, 2024 11:18 pm

Hard to get mad about this as we have evolved a lot in these last 10 years.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,747

Post#55 » by Fairview4Life » Thu May 2, 2024 11:21 pm

raptorstime wrote:Miami as a city is so overrated.

A single early 20’s man with 10’s of millions of dollars might not agree.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,926

Post#56 » by bape_lovers » Thu May 2, 2024 11:27 pm

Dudes forgotten the second he left. He sucked everywhere and not got the same opportunity

TheGeneral99 wrote:
And1Skip wrote:what a douche. I still remember right after the trade the Open Gym team filming every single step he made from picking him up from the airport to riding in the car on the Gardiner. Him saying he was very excited and that why didn't BC draft him in the first place. Of course, all that was fake.

Dude it wasn't fake.

You have to remember Rudy was brought here to become our new #1 option and franchise player...many thought at just 26 years old he was an up and coming star who needed a different environment to thrive after being stuck behind Marc and Z-Bo. This was a dream scenario for any player.

He blew it spectacularly and once he was traded our team became a contender for the rest of the decade and his buddies Lowry and Derozan became perennial all-stars, something he never achieved.

Now in hindsight he acts like he didn't even want to come...just BS and pretty sad for him. Lowry and Derozan will get their jerseys retired here, both will make the hall of fame, and he will be forgotten in a few years.

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,885

Post#57 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 2, 2024 11:53 pm

Could have been a perennial all-star (based on physical attributes and talent) but clearly not wired for it. Look at how Lu Dort plays vs. Rudy Gay. Dort is maximizing the hell out of his career. If Rudy was built like Lugentz, he would have never played in the NBA.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
DemHeavyHands
Sixth Man
And1: 2,734

Post#58 » by DemHeavyHands » Fri May 3, 2024 12:09 am

He might be in the lead for most seasons played with least amount of playoff success
FrozenLeafz
Analyst
And1: 4,118

Post#59 » by FrozenLeafz » Fri May 3, 2024 12:11 am

"You give me 37 shots in a game, I'll have 60, 70," James said. "I had 40 tonight on 18 shots. If I get 37 shots in a game, I'm going to put up 60. Easy."

-Lebron James presumably talking about Rudy Gay's 37 shot game where he scored only 29 points

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/boxscore?gameId=400488976
Passing the torch VC15--> CB4--> DD10+KL7--> PS43+FVV23 --> SB4
ImageImage
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,490

Post#60 » by Bankai » Fri May 3, 2024 12:25 am

Thank god Masai and Bobby corrected that mistake and traded Rudy quickly. Dude was shooting bricks. Then we got Rudy on steroids with Kawhi Leonard.

Return to Toronto Raptors