ImageImageImageImageImage

Thoughts on Bringing Lowry Back?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

Re: Thoughts on Bringing Lowry Back? 

Post#21 » by OakleyDokely » Fri May 3, 2024 3:25 pm

He's still good enough that he'll get another opportunity from a contender.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#22 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 3, 2024 3:29 pm

JB7 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:
I don't think it would be a Temple role who doesn't play at all...he would be a back-up PG who can still give you 15-25 minutes a night and possibly close out some games.

Yeah, I just don't see that being beneficial for Toronto. He's on his last career legs. What is the point of having Lowry besides nostalgia. Roster spot would be better served trying to develop a player or find someone < 25.

They already have a young PG (IQ) they are trying to develop. Lowry would help in that development.

He's 25 going into his 5th year. Ideally he is your starter for the next 8 years at least. I think the goal should be trying to find a back up that can develop and grow with the team. Bringing Lowry back is great feel good vibes but makes little to no sense long term in my opinion.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,399

Post#23 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:37 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
JB7 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Yeah, I just don't see that being beneficial for Toronto. He's on his last career legs. What is the point of having Lowry besides nostalgia. Roster spot would be better served trying to develop a player or find someone < 25.

They already have a young PG (IQ) they are trying to develop. Lowry would help in that development.

He's 25 going into his 5th year. Ideally he is your starter for the next 8 years at least. I think the goal should be trying to find a back up that can develop and grow with the team. Bringing Lowry back is great feel good vibes but makes little to no sense long term in my opinion.

It is the perfect time to bring him back, if he is willing to play the backup role and provide mentorship to IQ. IQ needs leadership from that position to help him develop fully. They could look to draft a PG for Lowry to help groom as a backup, or even just work with JFL, to turn him into a better backup.

Bringing Lowry back is more than just a good vibes move. It is also about trying to build a culture for the team, where vets associate themselves with the team for life beyond their playing career. Lowry is the perfect player to start that culture with, as his jersey could be one of the first to be retired.

I even like the idea of Lowry transitioning to a coaching role with the team in the future.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#24 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 3, 2024 3:41 pm

JB7 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
JB7 wrote:

It is the perfect time to bring him back, if he is willing to play the backup role and provide mentorship to IQ. IQ needs leadership from that position to help him develop fully. They could look to draft a PG for Lowry to help groom as a backup, or even just work with JFL, to turn him into a better backup.

Bringing Lowry back is more than just a good vibes move. It is also about trying to build a culture for the team, where vets associate themselves with the team for life beyond their playing career. Lowry is the perfect player to start that culture with, as his jersey could be one of the first to be retired.

I even like the idea of Lowry transitioning to a coaching role with the team in the future.

It all reads really good. It's a great story. I just think it is a sentimental fan perspective. I'm not sure the people involved and the business of the game would allow such a heartwarming story.

It would be cool if it happened, I just don't see it...and that is just my opinion, no better or worse than yours.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,973

Post#25 » by refshateRaps » Fri May 3, 2024 3:56 pm

Useless

The sports media love this type of silly chit.
redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,792

Post#26 » by redeye514 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:01 pm

I'm 100% down if Lowry is. Low salary contract on a 1 year deal + team option for 2nd, that would be an easy YES for me.. a much better team vet for our young'ins than a temple type... Lowry + bench in a raps uni has always been a beautiful thing to watch.

I don't think Lowry would do it though.... depends if ring chasing teams want him or not.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,370

Post#27 » by djsunyc » Fri May 3, 2024 4:08 pm

love lowry...but he clashes with coaches so not sure if putting him with darko is the best idea.

plus i would venture to guess he is done with toronto winters.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,611

Post#28 » by Ackshun » Fri May 3, 2024 4:15 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
JB7 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Who?
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,159

Post#29 » by tecumseh18 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:16 pm

djsunyc wrote:love lowry...but he clashes with coaches so not sure if putting him with darko is the best idea.

plus i would venture to guess he is done with toronto winters.

Based on the last six months, it seems like Toronto is done with Toronto winters. (Not sure if NYC was the same.) I rode my bike at least once per week, every single week this winter. It's possible golfers were even out on the links at multiple points.

But generally, I agree that Lowry's announced intention to retire a Raptor in no way indicated a desire to spend a year mentoring a young team. Depending on what Sixers do with their cap space and Embiid, he should stay there or go to the Lakers or Suns or whatever.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,317

Post#30 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 3, 2024 4:30 pm

Sure if he wants to I would do it.

But he does not want to.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,453

Post#31 » by tdotrep2 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:47 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Sure if he wants to I would do it.

But he does not want to.

pretty much this, if he knows he's coming in to mentor the kids I'm all for him being the backup pg. He probably doesn't want this tho.
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,655

Post#32 » by Mr Funk » Fri May 3, 2024 6:22 pm

It would be cool and much preferable to a cheesy one day contract. He could definitely help with mentoring, especially with Quickley and even Scottie.

However, he might still be content on ring chasing and I think I'd prefer Dyson Daniels.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,399

Post#33 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:28 pm

tdotrep2 wrote:

But he does not want to.

pretty much this, if he knows he's coming in to mentor the kids I'm all for him being the backup pg. He probably doesn't want this tho.

You would have to think, after being dumped by the Heat, and then failing to make it out of the 1st round with a Sixers team that had Embiid for the whole series, that he would realize his impact on winning (on the court) as a starter is at an end.

What legitimate contender is going to bring in a 38yr old Lowry to be their lead PG?
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,317

Post#34 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 3, 2024 6:53 pm

JB7 wrote:
tdotrep2 wrote:

But he does not want to.

You would have to think, after being dumped by the Heat, and then failing to make it out of the 1st round with a Sixers team that had Embiid for the whole series, that he would realize his impact on winning (on the court) as a starter is at an end.

What legitimate contender is going to bring in a 38yr old Lowry to be their lead PG?

In Lowrys defence - outside of Game 6 - he was a + in every single game. They won the minutes he played.

30/30 NBA teams would take on Lowry for the minimum. He fits literally every situation. Would be a great vet for a rebuild, awesome contributor for a contender.

Embiid also was definitely banged up (again).
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,907

Post#35 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri May 3, 2024 7:10 pm

How often can you beat a dead horse?...

That time has passed like 5 years ago...
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 459

Post#36 » by 6ixpessant » Fri May 3, 2024 7:14 pm

Love the dude, he'll get that 1-day contract retirement, the jersey retirement and whatever else they do for the GROAT.

I don't want new memories of Kyle the player in Toronto unless there's a chance of winning (let's be real on that front)... I love the ones we have.

I'd be interested in what he'd look like running with the kids in OKC.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#37 » by Ell Curry » Fri May 3, 2024 8:25 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:He's still good enough that he'll get another opportunity from a contender.

I could see him going to Phoenix and trying to eke out one final season as a starting PG.
Where's the D?
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,453

Post#38 » by tdotrep2 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:42 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:How often can you beat a dead horse?...

That time has passed like 5 years ago...

we have a hole at backup pg, I mean it's an idea. We shouldn't move mountains to try and make it happen but if the opportunity this summer arises and both parties are on the same page it's actually a legitimate option.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,972

Post#39 » by wegotthabeet » Fri May 3, 2024 9:57 pm

Villanova alum = future Knick
dafan590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,208

Post#40 » by dafan590 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:05 pm

forget the 1-day contract....looked how it worked out with roy halladay :nonono: :noway:

Return to Toronto Raptors