ImageImageImageImageImage

Thoughts on Bringing Lowry Back?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,948

Thoughts on Bringing Lowry Back? 

Post#1 » by TheGeneral99 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:29 pm

With Philly knocked out and Lowry being a non-factor in that series and a guy on a steady decline, it's not 100% certain they will retain him next season.

I feel that bringing out Lowry back here to finish his career as the back-up PG to Quickley would just be a fantastic end to his tale.

He could still be a very solid back up player and a mentor/leader to the young guys, transitioning the team into a new era and retiring as a Raptor in 1-2 years.

The question is whether Lowry would be open to doing that at this late stage of his career. He doesn't really have much left to prove...he's won a chip and went to the finals last year. It's clear that at this stage he's not going to be able to play a major role on a contender anymore.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,868

Re: Thoughts on Bringing Lowry Back? 

Post#2 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 3, 2024 2:31 pm

On a one day? Definitely.

For the year? I don't know if he has the mindset to play a Temple role on a team.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,948

Post#3 » by TheGeneral99 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:32 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:On a one day? Definitely.

For the year? I don't know if he has the mindset to play a Temple role on a team.

I don't think it would be a Temple role who doesn't play at all...he would be a back-up PG who can still give you 15-25 minutes a night and possibly close out some games.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,709

Post#4 » by Clay Davis » Fri May 3, 2024 2:33 pm

I think Lowry has the rizz to ring chase wherever he wants. He'd be an asset to any team's bench if they're looking to contend since he can still provide meaningful minutes. So would he choose to come here for nostalgic reasons? Maybe! but probably not :lol:

All that being said it'd be awesome to bring him back, but I think the team really wants to move forward with this core in the fanbase's consciousness and seems opposed to do anything that'd serve as a call-back to earlier eras. If we bring back Lowry, no matter what we'd be anchoring expectations to the We The North era and that just may not be appropriate/realistic.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
earth007
Junior
And1: 602

Post#5 » by earth007 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:34 pm

Bring back Rasho, Matrix and Milt Palacio as well.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#6 » by lolwut » Fri May 3, 2024 2:35 pm

On a one day contract, sure.

For a full season, it would be a distraction IMO.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,493

Post#7 » by Spida888 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:42 pm

I would be fine with it if the cost is low, and I can see it happening. We need a backup PG, and the FO will sell this as a feel-good story to garner more interest for the season.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,266

Post#8 » by MiamiSPX » Fri May 3, 2024 2:43 pm

He'll choose staying home, ring chasing, being somewhere he can golf during the season, or retirement.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,498

Post#9 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:50 pm

Would love to have him as soon as this season.

If he's done ring chasing and is willing to do 10-15 minutes of the bench every now and then but also be a mentor to Quickley, I'd do it for the vets minimum for the whole year.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,024

Post#10 » by Duffman100 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:52 pm

3 string point guard at the vet minimum. I don't mind the idea.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,197

Post#11 » by gerrit4 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:55 pm

I'd love to have him back. I think he'd be a good influence on guys like Scottie & IQ. He can still shoot and run an offence.
KawhiSoSerious
Junior
And1: 506

Post#12 » by KawhiSoSerious » Fri May 3, 2024 2:58 pm

earth007 wrote:Bring back Rasho, Matrix and Milt Palacio as well.

Let’s NBA!
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,071

Post#13 » by Indeed » Fri May 3, 2024 2:58 pm

I don't think we are that good next year. He is probably more interested in playing for a winning team. And would our new coach trust him? Wants him? Have him play his style? Unlikely.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,567

Post#14 » by Brinbe » Fri May 3, 2024 3:00 pm

i think he'll prob be back in philly or play for another contender if he's gonna play next season

he's stilll good enough to have a role on a winning team, albeit in a reserve capacity
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 472

Post#15 » by Smalltown » Fri May 3, 2024 3:00 pm

Duffman100 wrote:3 string point guard at the vet minimum. I don't mind the idea.

Spot minutes. An occasional injury start. Be a nice steady, depth bench piece.

Caviat would be he's agreeing to that and is here in that role till he retires.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,611

Post#16 » by Ackshun » Fri May 3, 2024 3:14 pm

Sure. The list of PG free agents is underwhelming so why not..

Monte Morris and Kris Dunn would be decent gets as well.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#17 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 3, 2024 3:17 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:

I don't think it would be a Temple role who doesn't play at all...he would be a back-up PG who can still give you 15-25 minutes a night and possibly close out some games.

Yeah, I just don't see that being beneficial for Toronto. He's on his last career legs. What is the point of having Lowry besides nostalgia. Roster spot would be better served trying to develop a player or find someone < 25.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,506

Post#18 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri May 3, 2024 3:22 pm

I'd definitely be interested if he would accept a bench/mentor role, which I think he would at this stage. He doesn't really have anything else to prove in the league. But he's still got some of the smartest court sense in the whole league, and would help organize bench units in 15 min/game type playing time.

I've love to see that opportunity dangled with an understanding that they use it as a transition for him to move into coaching in a year or two, something that I've believed for a while will be his eventual next step.

But all that is assuming that the Raptors won't be able to sign a better FA point guard like Tyus Jones or De'Anthony Melton, both of whom would be great options but might choose to stay with their current teams (Washington for Jones because of a starting position, Philly for Melton because they like him and have the cap space).
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,399

Post#19 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:23 pm

Yes, I think he could be a great back-up PG. I'm sure with how things played out on the Heat and Sixers, since leaving TO, I think he would be more open to playing the back-up roll in TO to end out his career.

And Raps could offer him more money than the vet minimum, that is probably all Philly offers. I don't think any team is doing MLE with him.

I doubt he is ring chasing, since he has one. Probably just a question of whether he feels he should retire, or does he still have something to offer to help a team.

His leadership and bull dog attitude is something the Raps need more of on the team.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,399

Post#20 » by JB7 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:24 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:

Yeah, I just don't see that being beneficial for Toronto. He's on his last career legs. What is the point of having Lowry besides nostalgia. Roster spot would be better served trying to develop a player or find someone < 25.

They already have a young PG (IQ) they are trying to develop. Lowry would help in that development.

Return to Toronto Raptors