ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Raptors Global Ambassador vs Kendrick

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

rocky_da_best
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,869

Re: OT - Raptors Global Ambassador vs Kendrick 

Post#181 » by rocky_da_best » Mon May 6, 2024 9:40 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
MavCarter wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:So we all gonna ignore the fact that Kendrick is a wife-beater?

Kdot fans love to the take the moral high ground and ignore any allegations against "Mr.Morale" himself.

Kenny can kill someone on camera and his delusional stans will say it was just artistic expression and drake was actually the cause

I am so confused where this is coming from :lol:

Kendrick probably gest more hate than anyone mentioned in this thread for being "boring" because it is true (at first listen). His music is just more difficult to get into as a lot of it is not meant to be a banger or anything. **** like "For Free?" is closer to slam poetry than it is to a traditional rap song. And that is even going back to his Section 80 days. Tracks like "Ab Soul Outro" were quite out there in terms of what people generally listen to in rap and that was before he really blew up in the mainstream.

GKMC was a more traditional album - but even then the highlight of the album was a 12 minute track which is pretty out there in the rap world.

Either way, IDK how you can quite say that about Kendrick fans :lol: Drake is the one who has released some absolute garbage over the years (lets be honest, everything since If You're Reading This... has been very mediocre) and yet his fans still act like his releasing classics. Drake should take a page out of Kendricks book and take the time to release a project that is packed with good songs instead of releasing half baked albums with no real substance to them

Bro don't make Kendrick sound like he's Yoko Ono or some **** lol. This is exactly what I'm talking about with his stans. He's not sonically difficult to listen to as someone like Kanye was when he released Yeezus. Nor is he as difficult to understand lyrically as someone like even Lupe is who has crazzier entendres to "get", let alone guys who are underground conscious rappers.

Kdot is still very much a mainstream rapper, with tons of mainstream raps songs. And every album he's put out has had radio hits/bangers, whatever you wanna call them. If he was so difficult to understand would he be selling out arenas in every North American city? lmfao
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,377

Post#182 » by YogurtProducer » Mon May 6, 2024 9:58 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
MavCarter wrote:
Kenny can kill someone on camera and his delusional stans will say it was just artistic expression and drake was actually the cause

I am so confused where this is coming from :lol:

Kendrick probably gest more hate than anyone mentioned in this thread for being "boring" because it is true (at first listen). His music is just more difficult to get into as a lot of it is not meant to be a banger or anything. **** like "For Free?" is closer to slam poetry than it is to a traditional rap song. And that is even going back to his Section 80 days. Tracks like "Ab Soul Outro" were quite out there in terms of what people generally listen to in rap and that was before he really blew up in the mainstream.

GKMC was a more traditional album - but even then the highlight of the album was a 12 minute track which is pretty out there in the rap world.

Either way, IDK how you can quite say that about Kendrick fans :lol: Drake is the one who has released some absolute garbage over the years (lets be honest, everything since If You're Reading This... has been very mediocre) and yet his fans still act like his releasing classics. Drake should take a page out of Kendricks book and take the time to release a project that is packed with good songs instead of releasing half baked albums with no real substance to them

Bro don't make Kendrick sound like he's Yoko Ono or some **** lol. This is exactly what I'm talking about with his stans. He's not sonically difficult to listen to as someone like Kanye was when he released Yeezus. Nor is he as difficult to understand lyrically as someone like even Lupe is who has crazzier entendres to "get", let alone guys who are underground conscious rappers.

Kdot is still very much a mainstream rapper, with tons of mainstream raps songs. And every album he's put out has had radio hits/bangers, whatever you wanna call them. If he was so difficult to understand would he be selling out arenas in every North American city? lmfao

Just because he has mainstream songs, does not mean that he does not have some accessibility issues (not the right word, but that is what people who don't like his stuff say). He switches up his voice and has some awkward flows at times (intentionally) that can rub people the wrong way. IDK why you are so upset over it - it is 100% true. (edit - not to mention his subject matter does not work out for huge hits in the same way).

Personally I love it but I also love guys like DOOM or Billy Woods or Ka or Lupe like you mentioned - all of those guys are dudes who don't have mainstream appeal. Kendrick is somewhere in the middle - but for people who are Drake fans (and not rap fans), Kendrick is a VERY difficult listen to them. Even tracks where Kendrick tries to be "poppy" (I am thinking like "YAH" or "GOD") it does not feel as smooth as a Drake track does. Just like how the average rap fan is not bumping Yeezus on the regular (outside of Black Skinhead & Bound 2).

But you have NO ONE playing Sing About Me, or U, or Auntie Diaries, or Mother I Sober outside the context of those albums as whole (typically). I know people don't listen to that ****, especially Drake, because he COMPLETLY misunderstood what Mother I in particular meant.

No one is saying Kendrick is some underground dude making niche rap tracks, but in terms of the MAINSTREAM Kendrick is about as far "out there" as you can get while having some mainstream appeal. It is undeniable that is takes a lot more conscious effort to fully understand a Kendrick project than it does a Drake. I am not even saying that is a good or a bad thing - but it just two different styles of the same genre.

And FWIW - I am never all that impressed by that "crazy double triple quadruple entendre" lyrical miracle ****. When it works and is natural in the scheme of a track it is nice, but a lot of guys obviously think of a triple entendre and build a song around it rather than fitting it in naturally. They never seem to work out that well and sound forced. Kendrick doesn't really do that a lot and I don't think anyone pretended he does.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#183 » by sbsat » Mon May 6, 2024 10:24 pm

Kendrick reduced himself to:

Calling drake white
Calling drake a deadbeat dad
Saying he hates drake and everything about him
Saying he has a daughter he wont claim
Saying he is a pedophile

He reduced himself to this to sell units. Its pretty simple stop putting this fool on a pedestal
WetLikeWater
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#184 » by WetLikeWater » Mon May 6, 2024 10:27 pm

Freaky ass ngga!
He's a 69god!
Hey hey hey hey! Run for your life!
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 31,031

Post#185 » by MavCarter » Mon May 6, 2024 10:31 pm

WetLikeWater wrote:Freaky ass ngga!
He's a 69god!

69god sounds like some **** 5th graders would make up and this who his stans claim you need a 500 IQ to listen to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#Enjoytheride
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,080

Post#186 » by ForeverTFC » Mon May 6, 2024 10:42 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I am so confused where this is coming from :lol:

Just because he has mainstream songs, does not mean that he does not have some accessibility issues (not the right word, but that is what people who don't like his stuff say). He switches up his voice and has some awkward flows at times (intentionally) that can rub people the wrong way. IDK why you are so upset over it - it is 100% true. (edit - not to mention his subject matter does not work out for huge hits in the same way).

Personally I love it but I also love guys like DOOM or Billy Woods or Ka or Lupe like you mentioned - all of those guys are dudes who don't have mainstream appeal. Kendrick is somewhere in the middle - but for people who are Drake fans (and not rap fans), Kendrick is a VERY difficult listen to them. Even tracks where Kendrick tries to be "poppy" (I am thinking like "YAH" or "GOD") it does not feel as smooth as a Drake track does. Just like how the average rap fan is not bumping Yeezus on the regular (outside of Black Skinhead & Bound 2).

But you have NO ONE playing Sing About Me, or U, or Auntie Diaries, or Mother I Sober outside the context of those albums as whole (typically). I know people don't listen to that ****, especially Drake, because he COMPLETLY misunderstood what Mother I in particular meant.

No one is saying Kendrick is some underground dude making niche rap tracks, but in terms of the MAINSTREAM Kendrick is about as far "out there" as you can get while having some mainstream appeal. It is undeniable that is takes a lot more conscious effort to fully understand a Kendrick project than it does a Drake. I am not even saying that is a good or a bad thing - but it just two different styles of the same genre.

And FWIW - I am never all that impressed by that "crazy double triple quadruple entendre" lyrical miracle ****. When it works and is natural in the scheme of a track it is nice, but a lot of guys obviously think of a triple entendre and build a song around it rather than fitting it in naturally. They never seem to work out that well and sound forced. Kendrick doesn't really do that a lot and I don't think anyone pretended he does.

I say this as a long time Kendrick fan who used to blast Black Hippy before most people knew who these guys were: Kendrick is at his worst when he tries really hard "to send a message" with his music. It's almost a caricature of the woke underground lyricist. I find his "deepest" songs to actually be some of his shallowest. He definitely is not DOOM or Lupe, though sometimes cosplays as them. GKMC is his greatest work and it's the album where he preaches the least. There was a time when I thought "Dance with the Devil" by Immortal Technique was really deep but then I grew up and now find it to be one of the cringiest songs I've ever heard. I feel that way about some of Kendrick's stuff as well.

On the flipside, Drake is probably the most commercial rapper of all time. So it's really easy to downplay his catalogue for those that like to portray themselves as "real hip hop heads", especially when backing Kendrick because "he's deep, has a message, and is a lyricist". Yet I would put NWTS in or near the same tier as everything else Kendrick has done, outside GKMC which is one of the greatest works in hip hop history.

Not saying you are entirely wrong, though I think Kendrick is much more mainstream and Drake is much more of a lyricist than what consensus would suggest about both today. With that said, Kendrick is the better rapper and the better artist; his live show is the best rap show I've been to, period.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 31,031

Post#187 » by MavCarter » Mon May 6, 2024 10:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
#Enjoytheride
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,829

Post#188 » by junot111 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:10 pm

Unless Drake pulls a rabbit out of his hat I think Kendrick won this one. But the odds were against Drake in the first place because everyone was waiting for him to fail, it was easy for Kendrick to rally the public against him.

I know Drake is a cornball but he claimed Toronto and Canada like no Canadian celebrity (none of whom had as much star power as him) has ever done before. It kinda sucks for him that everyone he's worked with and helped put on ends up going against him later on
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#189 » by YogurtProducer » Mon May 6, 2024 11:21 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

I say this as a long time Kendrick fan who used to blast Black Hippy before most people knew who these guys were: Kendrick is at his worst when he tries really hard "to send a message" with his music. It's almost a caricature of the woke underground lyricist. I find his "deepest" songs to actually be some of his shallowest. He definitely is not DOOM or Lupe, though sometimes cosplays as them. GKMC is his greatest work and it's the album where he preaches the least. There was a time when I thought "Dance with the Devil" by Immortal Technique was really deep but then I grew up and now find it to be one of the cringiest songs I've ever heard. I feel that way about some of Kendrick's stuff as well.

On the flipside, Drake is probably the most commercial rapper of all time. So it's really easy to downplay his catalogue for those that like to portray themselves as "real hip hop heads", especially when backing Kendrick because "he's deep, has a message, and is a lyricist". Yet I would put NWTS in or near the same tier as everything else Kendrick has done, outside GKMC which is one of the greatest works in hip hop history.

Not saying you are entirely wrong, though I think Kendrick is much more mainstream and Drake is much more of a lyricist than what consensus would suggest about both today. With that said, Kendrick is the better rapper and the better artist; his live show is the best rap show I've been to, period.

Eh.. Kendrick has been "sending a message" in every album he had made dating back to Section 80. Even GKMC had some deep themes, it just was presented in a more "obvious" or "in your face" way as it was just a recollection of a story. But TPAB (in my opinion - greatest rap album ever), DAMN, and Mr. Morale all have the same types of themes to varying different degrees.

Dance with the Devil was never a deep track but it is a pretty great example of terrific storytelling. It was never woke or deep but rather a song you listen to once, think "oh my god", and probably never listen to it again. It is fantastic, but something I think I have heard twice maybe. It is not cringe tho imo - just has zero replay-ability as once you know the twist it loses the appeal.

Kendrick is 100% in the mainstream for sure. But IMO it just because he does what he does so well that it kind of got forced in there. He is not doing anything significantly different than guys like JID or Saba who get no where near the same amount of love, simply because they do not do it nearly as well as Kendrick did/does.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,496

Post#190 » by D.Brasco » Mon May 6, 2024 11:21 pm

sbsat wrote:Kendrick reduced himself to:

Calling drake white
Saying he is a pedophile

He reduced himself to this to sell units. Its pretty simple stop putting this fool on a pedestal

There is no "winner" in this beef despite what many online are saying, both Drake and Kendrick lowered themselves with this.
sbsat
Lead Assistant

Post#191 » by sbsat » Mon May 6, 2024 11:22 pm

MavCarter wrote:
WetLikeWater wrote:Freaky ass ngga!
He's a 69god!

69god sounds like some **** 5th graders would make up and this who his stans claim you need a 500 IQ to listen to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahaha exactly! He set aside like 15 bars which were:

I hate ________

Genius level stuff. And people extrapolate his lyrics when there is nothing there the amount of reaching i saw on social media was ridiculous
sbsat
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by sbsat » Mon May 6, 2024 11:23 pm

D.Brasco wrote:

Calling drake white
Saying he is a pedophile

There is no "winner" in this beef despite what many online are saying, both Drake and Kendrick lowered themselves with this.

Agreed they bith embarrassed themselves. Disagree on no winner tho they sell units as a result of this. Watch the units kendrick moves when he drops his album
D.Brasco
General Manager

Post#193 » by D.Brasco » Mon May 6, 2024 11:30 pm

sbsat wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:

Calling drake white
Saying he is a pedophile

Agreed they bith embarrassed themselves. Disagree on no winner tho they sell units as a result of this. Watch the units kendrick moves when he drops his album

I sort of see it differently, Kendrick is getting a lot of drake haters jumping on his bandwagon, but I don't know if they'll all become Kendrick fans when he's no longer rapping about Drake. Drake on the other hand is practically a pop star, if he lays low for a bit and comes back with a couple hits the general music consuming public have short attention spans.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#194 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 6, 2024 11:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Aight, Drake has to pack it up when Macklemore is calling him out in the middle of a protest song (Damn good one at that)
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,080

Post#195 » by ForeverTFC » Mon May 6, 2024 11:51 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Eh.. Kendrick has been "sending a message" in every album he had made dating back to Section 80. Even GKMC had some deep themes, it just was presented in a more "obvious" or "in your face" way as it was just a recollection of a story. But TPAB (in my opinion - greatest rap album ever), DAMN, and Mr. Morale all have the same types of themes to varying different degrees.

Dance with the Devil was never a deep track but it is a pretty great example of terrific storytelling. It was never woke or deep but rather a song you listen to once, think "oh my god", and probably never listen to it again. It is fantastic, but something I think I have heard twice maybe. It is not cringe tho imo - just has zero replay-ability as once you know the twist it loses the appeal.

Kendrick is 100% in the mainstream for sure. But IMO it just because he does what he does so well that it kind of got forced in there. He is not doing anything significantly different than guys like JID or Saba who get no where near the same amount of love, simply because they do not do it nearly as well as Kendrick did/does.

I don't know man. I also used to put TPAB on a pedestal, but for some reason it has faded for me as it has aged. "How much a dollar cost" is a good example: so stereotypical and tired in its theme that at this point I feel like it's almost insulting my intelligence. On the other hand GKMC just ages like wine. It's not trying to be "complicated", it just is and it's beautiful. Believe it or not, I actually rate DAMN higher than TPAB which would not have been the case even a few years ago. Maybe it's just a me thing though.

BTW, love JiD and Saba, but their issue - like many other really good rappers that never achieve mainstream success - is that their range is limited. As much as people want to paint Drake and Kendrick as complete opposites, one thing they both have in common is they have ridiculous range and can do a lot of things at a really high level. To be as popular as they are, you need to be able to appeal to a wide range of people, there's no way around it.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#196 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:01 am

Drake demolished Kendrick on that last record and took the lead. Crazy comeback.
Go Raps!!
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,729

Post#197 » by SFour » Tue May 7, 2024 12:42 am

Brinbe wrote:Aubrey getting this type of fervent support despite being thoroughly destroyed in every which way explains why an entire generation of ppl in this city are outright idiots. Hypebeast/6ixbuzz morons. Explains so much lol.

The cult of personality is a strong one. Same reason why Marner got a free pass for years and years. People will look the other way on things if the birth certificate says a certain thing.

Read on Twitter

Artistically/lyrically/personally this groomer has been bested in this beef that he was asking for. And the worst part is releasing that sorry track last night. We can't go out like that on that crap note.

he's more of a groomer....I wouldn't call him a full blown pedophile. Obviously those 2 go hand in hand but a pedophile is a much more serious accusation.
D.Brasco
General Manager

Post#198 » by D.Brasco » Tue May 7, 2024 12:56 am

SFour wrote:
Brinbe wrote:Aubrey getting this type of fervent support despite being thoroughly destroyed in every which way explains why an entire generation of ppl in this city are outright idiots. Hypebeast/6ixbuzz morons. Explains so much lol.

The cult of personality is a strong one. Same reason why Marner got a free pass for years and years. People will look the other way on things if the birth certificate says a certain thing.

Read on Twitter

Artistically/lyrically/personally this groomer has been bested in this beef that he was asking for. And the worst part is releasing that sorry track last night. We can't go out like that on that crap note.

he's more of a groomer....I wouldn't call him a full blown pedophile. Obviously those 2 go hand in hand but a pedophile is a much more serious accusation.

Yup, and if we're being consistent with "cancelling" Drake there about 100 other artists who should be cancelled as well for being known to mess with underage girls/groupies. Anthony Kiedis literally has a chapter in his autobiography about dating a High School girl while he was in the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,598

Post#199 » by Brinbe » Tue May 7, 2024 1:21 am

SFour wrote:

Read on Twitter

bro, read what I wrote. I literally called him a groomer and not a pedo.

and this doesn't even get into the other things that kendrick brought up about drake being a colonizing culture vulture and it's not wrong. drake isn't even a real thing, it's an acted out put upon gimmick/persona that is propped up by the music industry. no different from taylor or ariana or any other pop star.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#200 » by YogurtProducer » Tue May 7, 2024 1:30 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Eh.. Kendrick has been "sending a message" in every album he had made dating back to Section 80. Even GKMC had some deep themes, it just was presented in a more "obvious" or "in your face" way as it was just a recollection of a story. But TPAB (in my opinion - greatest rap album ever), DAMN, and Mr. Morale all have the same types of themes to varying different degrees.

I don't know man. I also used to put TPAB on a pedestal, but for some reason it has faded for me as it has aged. "How much a dollar cost" is a good example: so stereotypical and tired in its theme that at this point I feel like it's almost insulting my intelligence. On the other hand GKMC just ages like wine. It's not trying to be "complicated", it just is and it's beautiful. Believe it or not, I actually rate DAMN higher than TPAB which would not have been the case even a few years ago. Maybe it's just a me thing though.

BTW, love JiD and Saba, but their issue - like many other really good rappers that never achieve mainstream success - is that their range is limited. As much as people want to paint Drake and Kendrick as complete opposites, one thing they both have in common is they have ridiculous range and can do a lot of things at a really high level. To be as popular as they are, you need to be able to appeal to a wide range of people, there's no way around it.

Ah don’t do How Much a Dollar Cost on me like that :lol:

TPAB to me continues to just get better. Everything from the overall story of the entire record to IMO the best production of any album I’ve ever heard.

DAMN to me is the weakest. It just feels uninspired from anything else I’ve heard from him - even S80 is better.

Mr Morale feels like it’s gonna age well though.

Return to Toronto Raptors