ImageImageImageImageImage

Will the ACC boo Al Horford?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MjM2xTreMe
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#21 » by MjM2xTreMe » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:28 pm

whosthebosh? wrote:If he gets booed, it shows a new low for the Raptors fan base and I would be utterly embarassed being considered a Raptors fan.

i agree but those that boo are not really Raptor fans.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#22 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:28 pm

TJ said in his interview with Chuck that he is expecting him to get booed, even though he feels that he probably doesn't deserve it.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,278

Post#23 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:35 pm

whosthebosh? wrote:If he gets booed, it shows a new low for the Raptors fan base and I would be utterly embarassed being considered a Raptors fan.

Do people still boo McGrady? It's been 8 years since he played with us? Just pointing out that it would be hard to consider booing Horford a new low... We have sunk much lower in the past I'm sure.

But I agree as Horford is such a class act.
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#24 » by jeffya2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 pm

I would love to see TJ show some leadership & go over & shake Horford's hand before the game. This would do wonders for our team, & show the rest of the NBA some class. If this happens there will be no boo's & we will be motivated for the win :clap:
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#25 » by Hendrix » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:40 pm

He probably doesn't deserve to be boo'd because he showed class afterwards, most people probably don't know he went to the hospital afterwards though. He recklessly hacked one our best players who has had major injurys in the past putting him out, and made him contemplate retirment so I would understand if he did get boo'd a bit. Maybe it'll wake up the crowd.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#26 » by OldNo7 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:40 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Do people still boo McGrady? It's been 8 years since he played with us? Just pointing out that it would be hard to consider booing Horford a new low... We have sunk much lower in the past I'm sure.

But I agree as Horford is such a class act.

But the difference lies in the reasoning. TMac is booed because people believe he snaked and misled the organization, got the fanbase's hopes up about him resigning, and then chose not to. Horford will be booed because of an accident, one in which he responded very positively and graciously to.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,283

Post#27 » by Shaazzam » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:42 pm

MjM2xTreMe wrote:
i agree but those that boo are not really Raptor fans.

Excuse me?

Why is booing at a sporting event classless?

Throwing batteries is classless, threatening players is classless, insulting their families is classless, making fun of personal tragedies is classless.

This guy hurt one our players, you know one of the guys we cheer for. Booing is pretty tame in my opinion.

What is he so emotionally fragile that he can't take it some heat? Come on man.

Edit: And I don't know about you, but I would rather them boo the other team than one of our own players. That's classless. Horford can get support from his own fans and organization. For me, I'm here to support my team.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:45 pm

whosthebosh? wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But the difference lies in the reasoning. TMac is booed because people believe he snaked and misled the organization, got the fanbase's hopes up about him resigning, and then chose not to. Horford will be booed because of an accident, one in which he responded very positively and graciously to.

I understand, however, as Hendrix points out not everyone knows what a class act Horford is and the lengths he went to visit TJ and such - most people would have had a hard time manning up and not only taking responsibility and facing the person who's career you may have put in jeopardy. This is one situation that I hope the Bay Street suits are in the lower bowl eating sushi just so the mics don't pick it up for TV broadcast.

Again to reiterate, who do you guys think will get booed more Bargs or Horford?
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Shaazzam » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Am I the only one that watched wrestling when they were younger? There is nothing wrong with a little heat. It adds to the atmosphere and excitement.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 254

Post#30 » by Consequence » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Shaazzam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I see what you are saying, but sports is Us vs Them. I love the kid, but he hurt one of our bets players, accidental or no. I'll be booing him on my TV for that reason. If he was a Raptor, I would cheer for him.

See, I think that as well, but in this case, I don't think we'd be booing THEM; we're very specifically booing HIM. And in this case, where Horford made a very deliberate effort to check up on TJ and clear the situation, the HIM is not deserving of boo's. Might just be me.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Shaazzam wrote:Am I the only one that watched wrestling when they were younger? There is nothing wrong with a little heat. It adds to the atmosphere and excitement.

Yeah but... (looks over shoulder and whispers) isn't wrestling fake?

I understand your stance, I'm just worried that Bargs might not understand and think all the booing is for him, hindering his development and further crushing his confidence.
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#32 » by ranger001 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Fans dont boo only because a guy has no class or they dont like him. The fans also boo because its fun to boo and they hope it'll throw Horford's game off. Horford put one of our top players in the hospital and on the IL, whether the act was intentional or not the effect was bad for the Raptors so he will get some scattered boos I'm sure.

The guy its most fun to boo is VC because he's one of the top 3 in NJ and it seems like the booing does throw his game off. I dont mind if the fans have some fun booing.
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#33 » by distracted » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Consequence wrote:
See, I think that as well, but in this case, I don't think we'd be booing THEM, we're very specifically booing HIM. And in this case, where Horford made a very deliberate effort to check up on TJ and clear the situation, the HIM is not deserving of boo's. Might just be me.

The thing I don't get about people not wanting the boos is why?

There are only two situations: 1) Horford knows he didn't mean it, realizes fans can't know that and accepts the boos without it bothering him. 2) The boos bother Horford

If 1) is true, then there's really nothing bad coming out of the booing, no big deal. If 2) is true, shouldn't we as fans do what we can to throw the opposition off their game, especially if it's only booing?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#34 » by JN » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm

I plan on storming the court and giving him a wedgie
distracted
Veteran

Post#35 » by distracted » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:57 pm

JN wrote:I plan on storming the court and giving him a wedgie

And then afterwards tell him you were just trying to pick something off the floor and got his underwear instead? Rookie mistake!
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 254

Post#36 » by Consequence » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:58 pm

distracted wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The thing I don't get about people not wanting the boos is why?

There are only two situations: 1) Horford knows he didn't mean it, realizes fans can't know that and accepts the boos without it bothering him. 2) The boos bother Horford

If 1) is true, then there's really nothing bad coming out of the booing, no big deal. If 2) is true, shouldn't we as fans do what we can to throw the opposition off their game, especially if it's only booing?

I think that 1) is extremely unlikely for a young player. I do think that as fans it's our job to create a hostile environment for the opposition, but I personally would only boo a player if it was due to some proven character/judgement flaw, eg. Vince being spineless. Horford doesn't match my criteria for that. It's just how I operate as a fan.
atlsun
Senior
And1: 0

Post#37 » by atlsun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Raptor fans that want to boo Horford need to get a grip on life, or better yet get a life.
distracted
Veteran

Post#38 » by distracted » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Consequence wrote:I think that 1) is extremely unlikely for a young player. I do think that as fans it's our job to create a hostile environment for the opposition, but I personally would only boo a player if it was due to some proven character/judgement flaw, eg. Vince being spineless. Horford doesn't match my criteria for that. It's just how I operate as a fan.

Hey that's cool, as long as you're down with those of us who just want to throw him off his game!

I'm not going to the game, but if I were I'd boo my ass off, knowing he's a young player and it'll probably get under his skin.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#39 » by JN » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:04 pm

atlsun wrote:Raptor fans that want to boo Horford need to get a grip on life, or better yet get a life.

People that can't separate life from professional sports, need to get a real grip on reality. And I'm referring to people like you.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Shaazzam » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Consequence wrote:
I think that 1) is extremely unlikely for a young player. I do think that as fans it's our job to create a hostile environment for the opposition, but I personally would only boo a player if it was due to some proven character/judgement flaw, eg. Vince being spineless. Horford doesn't match my criteria for that. It's just how I operate as a fan.

That's cool and I totally respect that.

I on the other hand, as a fan, boo the other team simply because they are the other team. Except for the dudes that scare me, like Dirk. I tip toe quietly around him.

Quick side story. I think the most fun I ever had at a Raptors game was when I saw Reggie Miller play. We won, Croshere went nuts against us, but I screamed "Reggie Sucks" with my buddy, who was a massive hoops freak, but he'd never been to an NBA game, for almost the whole game. And Reggie was one of my favorite players of all time.

Return to Toronto Raptors