ImageImageImageImageImage

Sportsnet won't do Raptors next season

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

phd1969
Starter
And1: 25

Post#61 » by phd1969 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 pm

It's a business decision, plain and simple. Sportsnet use to carry tons of ball in the high flying Vince Carter days. These guys are not hating on basketball, nor trying to shove hockey down our throats. Although it may seem that way.

These are businessman trying to make as much money as possible. Hockey and even curling are the sports that sell in this country, then comes the tier 2 sports in basketball, soccer, and baseball. Give it time, the demographics of this country are changing.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#62 » by Troubadour » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 pm

They should have some games with Jack and Leo. That would be an interesting dynamic...
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#63 » by whysoserious » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:51 pm

phd1969 wrote:It's a business decision, plain and simple. Sportsnet use to carry tons of ball in the high flying Vince Carter days. These guys are not hating on basketball, nor trying to shove hockey down our throats. Although it may seem that way.

These are businessman trying to make as much money as possible. Hockey and even curling are the sports that sell in this country, then comes the tier 2 sports in basketball, soccer, and baseball. Give it time, the demographics of this country are changing.

If the demographics are changing, wouldn't it be more profitable long-term to be the leader in this so-called shift. Sportsnet doesn't have an identity in the sports landscape in this country.

TSN is the hockey network, the leader and the original network. They have an identity that fans know about.

The Score is the network that's the most diverse in it's coverage and appeals more to the younger demographics in this country.

What is Sportsnet identity, trademark or calling card with the viewers. Over the year's they've changed so many times and just can't make up their mind what kind of network they want to be. They shift focus every couple of year's after what they think is going to work continually fails.
El Presidente
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#64 » by El Presidente » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:52 pm

wenzi wrote:It's all Jose Caleron's fault

**** off already.
yucatan87
Sixth Man
And1: 119

Post#65 » by yucatan87 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:01 pm

whysoserious wrote:If the demographics are changing, wouldn't it be more profitable long-term to be the leader in this so-called shift. Sportsnet doesn't have an identity in the sports landscape in this country.

TSN is the hockey network, the leader and the original network. They have an identity that fans know about.

The Score is the network that's the most diverse in it's coverage and appeals more to the younger demographics in this country.

What is Sportsnet identity, trademark or calling card with the viewers. Over the year's they've changed so many times and just can't make up their mind what kind of network they want to be. They shift focus every couple of year's after what they think is going to work continually fails.

I don't think Sportsnet is doing it out of choice. They basically have to choose between the Raptors and regional telecasts of 5 NHL teams. It's unprofitable to have just a handful of Raptor games and boatloads of non-Raptor NBA games. Non-Raptor NBA games are pretty much nothing but filler for them. Let's not kid ourselves here, any one regional telecast will get at least 8 to 10 times the viewers that a non-Raptors NBA game gets on a Sportsnet channel. Sportsnet definitely has an identity, it's a focus on regions. Turn on Sportsnet Connected at 10 ET and you'll see the Raptors relatively early on in the show, as it's the "Ontario" edition. Turn it on at Midnight ET and you'll see 20 minutes of coverage on the Oilers and Flames before the Raptors, because its the "West" edition. Turn it on at 1 ET and you'll see 10 minutes of the Canucks, and then Raptors and Sonics highlights, because it's the "Pacific" edition.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#66 » by dagger » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:01 pm

whysoserious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If the demographics are changing, wouldn't it be more profitable long-term to be the leader in this so-called shift. Sportsnet doesn't have an identity in the sports landscape in this country.

Actually, I'd make the case that the CBC has an increasingly diverse offering that aims at the Canada of tomorrow, not the Canada of yesterday (although it's being bumped out of curling and the CFL by higher bidders). CBC has hockey, some baseball, basketball (big expansion next season), MLS (Toronto FC), Olympics, World Cup skiing, etc. It's Sunday night network sportscast at 11:30 covers Canadian competitors in many sports around the world, not just NHL or NFL.

Considering that CBC reaches pretty much every single home in Canada, it's expanding interest in the Raptors is great news. If it shows 15 or more Sunday games next year, that will represent something closer to a true game-of-the-week concept. I'm sure that will mean more Sunday afternoon games at home and on the road for the Raptors.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#67 » by YogiStewart » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:07 pm

anyone else wondering why Sportsnet exists?

Or what their MO is?
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#68 » by whysoserious » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 pm

dagger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, I'd make the case that the CBC has an increasingly diverse offering that aims at the Canada of tomorrow, not the Canada of yesterday (although it's being bumped out of curling and the CFL by higher bidders). CBC has hockey, some baseball, basketball (big expansion next season), MLS (Toronto FC), Olympics, World Cup skiing, etc. It's Sunday night network sportscast at 11:30 covers Canadian competitors in many sports around the world, not just NHL or NFL.

Considering that CBC reaches pretty much every single home in Canada, it's expanding interest in the Raptors is great news. If it shows 15 or more Sunday games next year, that will represent something closer to a true game-of-the-week concept. I'm sure that will mean more Sunday afternoon games at home and on the road for the Raptors.

I'm certainly happy that CBC is going to carry more Raptors games. This is good news for the growth of the Raptors in this country and basketball.

But CBC is never considered in the same group as those three networks. And of those three networks, Sportsnet has no identity compared to the other two.
splayed
Senior
And1: 0

Post#69 » by splayed » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Now the important question - does this mean more Raptors games in high-def, or fewer?
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#70 » by Indiana Jones » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:39 pm

alright!! can't wait to watch all those minnesota wild and phoenix coyotes games on sportsnet west!
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Indiana Jones » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:40 pm

splayed wrote:Now the important question - does this mean more Raptors games in high-def, or fewer?

can't be more cause they are all in HD already
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Indiana Jones » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:43 pm

whysoserious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm certainly happy that CBC is going to carry more Raptors games. This is good news for the growth of the Raptors in this country and basketball.

But CBC is never considered in the same group as those three networks. And of those three networks, Sportsnet has no identity compared to the other two.

umm, no identity? what does that mean? but i'd say sportsnet is waaaaay more important than the score, since it has five channels and is carried on basic cable packages. the score is still a second rate network and its emphasis on basketball is a sign that they are picking up the scraps that tsn and rogers don't want. trust me, if the score could do hockey and pay for the rights, they'd drop the raps in a second too...
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#73 » by 99 Problems » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm tired of waiting for ESPN and TNT to magically appear on Canadian television.. I'm sick of Canadian television as well....I'm starting to think things won't change during my lifetime and we won't see the market open up to American television providers... And also American cell phone providers too as long as we're in the subject of monopolies...

Time to invest in that DirecTV satellite...
Cross-over
Sixth Man
And1: 145

Post#74 » by Cross-over » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Russ369 wrote:Am I the only canadian who despises hockey? I think its the most useless sport... Meh.
No this Canadian cant stand it either.
basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#75 » by basketball420 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:09 pm

yucatan87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think Sportsnet is doing it out of choice. They basically have to choose between the Raptors and regional telecasts of 5 NHL teams. It's unprofitable to have just a handful of Raptor games and boatloads of non-Raptor NBA games. Non-Raptor NBA games are pretty much nothing but filler for them. Let's not kid ourselves here, any one regional telecast will get at least 8 to 10 times the viewers that a non-Raptors NBA game gets on a Sportsnet channel. Sportsnet definitely has an identity, it's a focus on regions. Turn on Sportsnet Connected at 10 ET and you'll see the Raptors relatively early on in the show, as it's the "Ontario" edition. Turn it on at Midnight ET and you'll see 20 minutes of coverage on the Oilers and Flames before the Raptors, because its the "West" edition. Turn it on at 1 ET and you'll see 10 minutes of the Canucks, and then Raptors and Sonics highlights, because it's the "Pacific" edition.

either you work there or you actually get it...Sportsnet is regional TV...The Leafs, then the Sens..then the Raps in ONT if you watch at 10..and as much as I am a basketball fan I get it we are a hockey country..
The worst part of this is you are right Jack is no longer going to be doing games...so if you want to see him on the boroadcasts..you had better start emailing The other networks like TSN, CBC and The Score..otherwise he might get completely phased out because of this and that would be awful... he is the best basketball guy in the country period.
Helloooo
Darrick Martin
Starter
And1: 3

Post#76 » by Darrick Martin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:11 pm

There is really no point in watching Sportsnet now... Could care less about TSN neither.....

The score (with missing scoreboard) & CBC (more exposure) > *
“On paper, in terms of just pure talent, I would say, yes, this is the best team we’ve had,” - Bryan Colangelo (Sep 29, 2008)
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#77 » by Vandal Savage » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:12 pm

sportsnet is the worst sports channel

their news is useless, all they do is show highlights while the anchors have a conversation between them selves.

all they show is poker, repeat chris myer interveiws and best damn show
BD006
Veteran
And1: 523

Post#78 » by BD006 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Wow, and Sportsnet used to be the station with the MOST Raps games.

I'm not so much disappointed about the Raps games though, since I have all the other stations, but I will definitely miss tuning into Sportsnet West/Pacific for late night, west coast games.
Ill Mago
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#79 » by Ill Mago » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:15 pm

tke_mark wrote:This probably has more to do with the fact that the ontario teachers pension is buying BCE, otherwise known as Bell. Since they wouldn't want to be assisting the competition.

Soon it will be, TSN supports the Coke, Colgate, Ford, Basketball Night in Canada.

thread winrar right here.

thanks, i didnt know that. it makes a ton of sense when you think about it.
Ontario Teachers FTW
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#80 » by YogiStewart » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:15 pm

you keep on asking when ESPN's coming to Canada.

wake up. its already here.

They own TSN.

The "SportsCentre" theme song sound familiar to you?

Return to Toronto Raptors