ImageImageImageImageImage

Sportsnet won't do Raptors next season

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#81 » by basketball420 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:17 pm

Basketball. Acadia-Carleton CIS semi -final Score 118,000 Largest CIS audience of weekend

This is more then a national Raptors game...so be as upset as you want about less Raptors the reality is they don't get enough support across the board to justify taking off any of the regional hockey games

For example - most nights there are at least 2 or 3 regional NHL games ..if a Flames game gets 150 000 and a Canucks game gets 250 000...why would they puts a Raps game in both of those regions so they could air it in ONT?

believe me it sucks and for the most part there are a larger number of Raps fans that work at the networks but it is what it is...if I was running the network and I aired a National Raps game getting 100 000 viewers and lost 500 000 potential viewers in the West and Pacific I would be fired pretty quickly
Helloooo
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#82 » by Vandal Savage » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:20 pm

YogiStewart wrote:you keep on asking when ESPN's coming to Canada.

wake up. its already here.

They own TSN.

The "SportsCentre" theme song sound familiar to you?

thats why do show monday night football
BD006
Veteran
And1: 523

Post#83 » by BD006 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:24 pm

YogiStewart wrote:you keep on asking when ESPN's coming to Canada.

wake up. its already here.

They own TSN.

The "SportsCentre" theme song sound familiar to you?

They can bring all the music and graphics they want, but it's not even close.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#84 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:28 pm

dagger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, I'd make the case that the CBC has an increasingly diverse offering that aims at the Canada of tomorrow, not the Canada of yesterday (although it's being bumped out of curling and the CFL by higher bidders). CBC has hockey, some baseball, basketball (big expansion next season), MLS (Toronto FC), Olympics, World Cup skiing, etc. It's Sunday night network sportscast at 11:30 covers Canadian competitors in many sports around the world, not just NHL or NFL.

Considering that CBC reaches pretty much every single home in Canada, it's expanding interest in the Raptors is great news. If it shows 15 or more Sunday games next year, that will represent something closer to a true game-of-the-week concept. I'm sure that will mean more Sunday afternoon games at home and on the road for the Raptors.

The CBC is also losing the Olympics so they are looking to get into more and more smaller sports in the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto Rock games and maybe some OHL games on the CBC in the future.
brassy
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#85 » by brassy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:31 pm

This makes no sense, Sportsnet now has *2* HD channels (one for local broadcasts and one nationally), so why the hell cant they use the national HD channel for Raptors games and the local one for whatever hockey game their region is showing (SN only has local NHL contracts, TSN has the national contracts). This was THE WHOLE POINT of SNHD2, so they could do a local and national broadcast.

This is just plain and utter stupidity by the morons at Sportsnet.

And unlike the rest of you, I despise TheScore, I bought a 52" TV to *SEE* 52" of HD not 47". FU Thescore, FU CRTC, FU Rogers. (and after how many games of Thursday TNT, Thescore still screws up the HD broadcast, sometimes its stretched, sometimes they have two tickers going.. gimme a break thescore)

:banghead: :banghead:
basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#86 » by basketball420 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:22 pm

brassy wrote:This makes no sense, Sportsnet now has *2* HD channels (one for local broadcasts and one nationally), so why the hell cant they use the national HD channel for Raptors games and the local one for whatever hockey game their region is showing (SN only has local NHL contracts, TSN has the national contracts). This was THE WHOLE POINT of SNHD2, so they could do a local and national broadcast.

This is just plain and utter stupidity by the morons at Sportsnet.

And unlike the rest of you, I despise TheScore, I bought a 52" TV to *SEE* 52" of HD not 47". FU Thescore, FU CRTC, FU Rogers. (and after how many games of Thursday TNT, Thescore still screws up the HD broadcast, sometimes its stretched, sometimes they have two tickers going.. gimme a break thescore)

:banghead: :banghead:

The NBA package was a deal...the games had to be sold as a national propoerty so it's not Sportsnet it is NBA Canada/MLSE that is selling it all or nothing
Helloooo
bling_singh
General Manager
And1: 13

Post#87 » by bling_singh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:02 pm

meh, i guess they figured Bill Watters in jeans and a toupee was all they needed to bring the youth in.
galeon110
Analyst
And1: 629

Post#88 » by galeon110 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Russ369 wrote:Am I the only canadian who despises hockey? I think its the most useless sport... Meh.

I **** hate hockey. And I hate Canadians what they do with the sport and the way they take the game. It pisses me off how they'll have 5 minute segments on the Raptors and then spend like an hour on the NHL. They give more info about hockey teams from other cities than their hometown basketball team.
RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#89 » by RapsVC15 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:06 pm

so what happens to Jack? I don't know if I'll be able to stand Leo all season.
NAFTA
Bench Warmer

Post#90 » by NAFTA » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:14 pm

It would stink if Jack wasn't on any of the TV broadcasts, but I guess he'll still have Raptors TV games. Plus, though the CBC didn't have a pre and post game show this year, I would think they'd do one next year if they are going to have 15-20 games. Jack could be a part of that. I also think he'd be great as the main, full time analyst on the Raptors TV pre and post game show. He could either replace Sherman Hamilton or if Hamilton sticks around, Jack could become a permanent member of the panel. He'd be like the Digger Phelps, Howie Long, Terry Bradshaw, etc. I think that would be great. It could give Jack an even bigger profile than he has right now.
Anth0ny
Senior
And1: 193

Post#91 » by Anth0ny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Kosta wrote:This is terrible news because Sportsnet covered a lot of NBA games on Raptor off days.

Exactly.

Oh well, you could never get enough poker... :banghead:
Canada_7
General Manager
And1: 2,486

Post#92 » by Canada_7 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:40 pm

gangstaff wrote:No Jack or even Less Jack makes Me Sad.

Hope they can get something where Jack does the colour commentary for games on networks OTHER than just RapsTV.
NAFTA
Bench Warmer

Post#93 » by NAFTA » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:56 pm

Ya know, as somebody else posted, maybe Jack could end up on TSN or The Score. Does anybody know if it's set in stone that Leo is signed to long-term deals with both of those networks?

Maybe Jack could end up working for one or both.

Do you think a 3-man booth would ever be considered, with Jack, Leo, and Chuck?
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#94 » by JohnVancouver » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:03 pm

Russ369 wrote:Am I the only canadian who despises hockey? I think its the most useless sport... Meh.

Nope - I have zero interest in hockey .... and I hate draft beer. I'm a bad Canadian.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#95 » by 99 Problems » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:07 pm

NAFTA wrote:Ya know, as somebody else posted, maybe Jack could end up on TSN or The Score. Does anybody know if it's set in stone that Leo is signed to long-term deals with both of those networks?

Maybe Jack could end up working for one or both.

Do you think a 3-man booth would ever be considered, with Jack, Leo, and Chuck?

Jack could be assigned to bring them out of their personal conversations when they get off track...

Chuck: "Leo, let me get on my soapbox for a minute"

Leo: "Okay Chuck"

Chuck: "Now why----"

Jack: "Hello!... there's a game going on"
KingOfTheCourt
Senior
And1: 131

Post#96 » by KingOfTheCourt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 pm

You are not alone brother. I cant stand the way that sport is being shoved down our throats. Thank god for illegal satellite. I don't know where I would be without it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#97 » by Death Knight » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Anth0ny wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly.

Oh well, you could never get enough poker... :banghead:

Unless we are talking about Jennifer Tilly. I wouldn't get tired at all.
Bryans_Collar
Veteran

Post#98 » by Bryans_Collar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Sportsnet was put in a real tough spot ... the regional hockey package is basically their life line. They tried competing with TSN nationally when they first started out but they obviously got walloped.

It's just a piss off b/c the regional setup on the digital box was great for NBA games and the NCAA tourney. It provided a big advantage over TSN if you were a real sports junkie.

TSN can basically wipe S.Net out if they were to steal away the rights to the Canucks at some point in the future.

Things won't be terrible if TSN steps up their packaging - get Rod Black out and cover the team better/get more exposure. This with more CBC could work out well in the long run.
Bargnani PER
2007 - 12.9
2008 - 10.7
Hollinger predicted 2009 - 11.8
Bryans_Collar HOPES FOR 2009 - 17.0
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#99 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 pm

This decision also means more Leo and less Jack. Augh.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,513
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#100 » by will » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:05 pm

The Letter V wrote:****.

Son of *****. Those ****** **********.

That's what I'm saying!

Return to Toronto Raptors