ImageImageImageImageImage

Sactown trade idea: Let's play along

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

SHootaR
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Sactown trade idea: Let's play along 

Post#21 » by SHootaR » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:54 pm

i really hope raptors fans are not this stupid. we've settled for mediocrity for how long now?? we really want to send a top 15 pg in the nba, for john salmons?? don't get me wrong i love john salmons, his game is something we could definetly use. but lets not confuse him with a big difference maker who is a legit 35 min a game 20 pt scorer that we need and could probably fetch with ford. if we can't? than we dont deal ford. i'm tired of settling for "pieces" that are solid players but nothing that would crack the spurs or lakers or celtics starting roster. maggette is still the desired player for me. i'm betting that BC isn't as stupid as the proponents of a trade like this.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,780

Post#22 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Seriously, why not just keep Ford? I mean, did Bryan Colangelo already tell Ford and his agent that he is going to be traded regardless, or is the media driving that as well and making it a foregone conclusion that Ford will be traded?

I understand we're not gonna get full value back for Ford...John Salmons, while a good player, is someone who is basically a 6th/7th man on a good team.

I say keep Ford if we're recieving these offers. Ford is better than anyone else we are recieving in a trade. Essentially, he's the better player in any of these deals that are being mentioned...w/ the Maggette trade probably even.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#23 » by TR50 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Neither....
halfcourt
Banned User

Post#24 » by halfcourt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:12 pm

SHootaR wrote:i really hope raptors fans are not this stupid. we've settled for mediocrity for how long now?? we really want to send a top 15 pg in the nba, for john salmons?? don't get me wrong i love john salmons, his game is something we could definetly use. but lets not confuse him with a big difference maker who is a legit 35 min a game 20 pt scorer that we need and could probably fetch with ford. if we can't? than we dont deal ford. i'm tired of settling for "pieces" that are solid players but nothing that would crack the spurs or lakers or celtics starting roster. maggette is still the desired player for me. i'm betting that BC isn't as stupid as the proponents of a trade like this.

you are really underestimating TJ's injury concerns, for the love god the man thought about RETIRING. think about it for a second, why is BC so intent on trading a PG that he really liked and one that he personally brought in? His injury concerns are probably worse than most of us think. TJ is an ideal BC point guard and there is no way he would trade him 70 cents on the dollar if he thinks TJ is gonna be injury free.
kiz5
Veteran
And1: 304

Post#25 » by kiz5 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 pm

If we got Douby, I'd be first in line to get his jersey.

=O <3
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#26 » by dagger » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Seriously, why not just keep Ford? I mean, did Bryan Colangelo already tell Ford and his agent that he is going to be traded regardless, or is the media driving that as well and making it a foregone conclusion that Ford will be traded?

I understand we're not gonna get full value back for Ford...John Salmons, while a good player, is someone who is basically a 6th/7th man on a good team.

I say keep Ford if we're recieving these offers. Ford is better than anyone else we are recieving in a trade. Essentially, he's the better player in any of these deals that are being mentioned...w/ the Maggette trade probably even.

And you underestimate BC's desire to clean out all distractions. When he came here, the first thing he did was get rid of Hoffa, because he was a subject of controversy (derision). Then he bought out Alvin Williams even though he probably could have done a bit better capwise by forcing Alvin to sit on the bench in a suit and then pushing him into medical retirement. Now he's bought out Garbo even though Garbo probably could play - but he'd be a distraction at anything less than pre-injury form. The insurance claim would have lingered, he might have forced the issue by playing for Spain at the Olympics and maybe injuring himself again. This was neat and clean. I really don't think BC has any intention to put up with duelling point guards and he's not trading Jose. So you figure it out.
Bryans_Collar
Veteran

Post#27 » by Bryans_Collar » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:20 pm

Give me Salmons and the #12 for TJ and I take it.

Use the #12 and #17 and asset X to move into the top 10 and get who the scouting staff feels is the BPA of the 2nd tier (I'd want Alexander, but whoever - Gallinari, Westbrook, Lopez, Love, etc)

I'd personally send BC a freshly pressed button up in the mail if he pulled that :D

Wouldn't mind using the #12 and #17 in this draft as well, but I'd prefer to package them together.
Bargnani PER
2007 - 12.9
2008 - 10.7
Hollinger predicted 2009 - 11.8
Bryans_Collar HOPES FOR 2009 - 17.0
halfcourt
Banned User

Post#28 » by halfcourt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Bryans_Collar wrote:Give me Salmons and the #12 for TJ and I take it.

Use the #12 and #17 and asset X to move into the top 10 and get who the scouting staff feels is the BPA of the 2nd tier (I'd want Alexander, but whoever - Gallinari, Westbrook, Lopez, Love, etc)

I'd personally send BC a freshly pressed button up in the mail if he pulled that :D

Wouldn't mind using the #12 and #17 in this draft as well, but I'd prefer to package them together.

We could use the #12 and #17 on Alexander and Rush.

Jose
Rush
Alexander/Salmons
Bosh
Bargs

that's a very talented young team, on par with Philly and atlanta
Mr. Kite
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by Mr. Kite » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:33 pm

dagger wrote:We probably could do a bit better but you're not accounting for the injury discount that all teams expect. You're not going to get 100 cents on the dollar for TJ's on-court value.

I agree completely.
I-AM-A-BEAST
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by I-AM-A-BEAST » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:54 pm

I don't like that trade too much, and wish we could get something better, but it's much better than the Diaw trade. Much better. We save money, keep our pick, take on extra assets (no matter how small they are) and, IMO, get the better player between Diaw and Salmons. Salmons put up really good numbers as a starter last year (18,5,4) so who knows. If worst came to worst, this is probably a trade I'd settle for.

If Maggs can't be had, this trade is definitely an upgrade over the Diaw and Crawford garbage out there.
malton
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#31 » by malton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 pm

i would like to see a proposal for a three way deal with phoenix and sacramento. the 3 main components being ford to sac, artest to phoenix and raja bell coming here.
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#32 » by totallyr » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:19 am

Don't like the Diaw deal, Salmons told us to hoop it, don't want you either. We can do better, much better, patience lads patience, in 2 weeks weeks you'll be typing ur arses off wondering why you never saw that totally out of the blue coming.
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon
Duncanfan
Banned User

Post#33 » by Duncanfan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:32 am

tj has to be more valuable than John freakin' Salmons
Duncanfan
Banned User

Post#34 » by Duncanfan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 am

malton wrote:i would like to see a proposal for a three way deal with phoenix and sacramento. the 3 main components being ford to sac, artest to phoenix and raja bell coming here.

are you high or something?? ford for bell?? really???
AriesMar27
Freshman

Post#35 » by AriesMar27 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:11 am

Duncanfan wrote:tj has to be more valuable than John freakin' Salmons

trades are never equal value, look at the gasol trade.... but the thing is the raptors want calderon as their starting pg but have ford under contract... salmons would actually be a pretty good fit on the raptors, it would give them a pretty good starting sg that would compliment kaponno a lot better than parker....
notic101
Lead Assistant
And1: 48

Post#36 » by notic101 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:59 am

I do it.

Some wonder how come we don't have X player from X team on our roster, or someone of equal talent. That's because those skilled players are usually drafted and remain with their respective teams. Unless you have some undeniable talent going their way (see no injury/heatlh, chemistry/attitude problems...) for a straight one-for-one swap, it's hard to wrangle in equal and/or better talent back.

The league isn't asleep, smart GMs can see how desperate our situation is and prey on it's vulnerability. Teams follow these situations closer than most fans since they know there's always a possibility these types of internal rifts can often even lead franchise players (see Bosh) becoming disgruntled and looking to be moved.

Having the 12th will allow us to draft a solid lotto prospect, who within reasonably time, will become, at minimum, a starter quality player (unless of course Lady Luck blesses us with another bust --Hoffa). Also Douby seems like a possible future 6th man type scoring punch off the bench. For the Kings, they get their PG play on par with other competitive teams in the West (really important with the Derons, Pauls, Nashes, and Parkers) while taking on a small injury concern with huge potential upside.

All the while keeping our 17th for another possible steal, I would definitely consider it.
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by rise of raptors » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:28 am

dagger wrote:And you underestimate BC's desire to clean out all distractions. When he came here, the first thing he did was get rid of Hoffa, because he was a subject of controversy (derision). Then he bought out Alvin Williams even though he probably could have done a bit better capwise by forcing Alvin to sit on the bench in a suit and then pushing him into medical retirement. Now he's bought out Garbo even though Garbo probably could play - but he'd be a distraction at anything less than pre-injury form. The insurance claim would have lingered, he might have forced the issue by playing for Spain at the Olympics and maybe injuring himself again. This was neat and clean. I really don't think BC has any intention to put up with duelling point guards and he's not trading Jose. So you figure it out.

+1
Ford's injury might even be secondary to this concern. I strongly think that if it wasn't for his "sulking" he would still be with this team and Forderon would continue to exist for years to come. If there's one thing that this management emphasizes is harmony in the locker room. I'll just add another example: when Dixon was grumbling, BC immediately traded him for Brezec. However, you really have to weigh how much your willing to pay vs. maintaining peace in the locker room. As dagger pointed out, these moves hurts the team in other ways.

Speaking of distractions, I don't think BC does this trade for Salmons because of distractions. Didn't Colangelo say that he doesn't want players that do not want to be here? The memory of Salmons spiting Toronto is still very fresh, and among players' minds too I believe. Add to the fact that this is pretty bad value (better than the Diaw trade though) and this is a easy no.
ShaqSlamsU
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#38 » by ShaqSlamsU » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:00 pm

malton wrote:i would like to see a proposal for a three way deal with phoenix and sacramento. the 3 main components being ford to sac, artest to phoenix and raja bell coming here.

SO you want to get a 32 year old player, who attempts 6 three pointers a game, and manages to go to the line on average 1.2 times a game? :)

In that case i'd rather BC trade for AI, at least that little guy goes to the line almost 10 times a game.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#39 » by Test of Wills » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:45 pm

John Salmons is NOT an impact player he is another depth-guy who can play the 1-2 or 3 positions. What the Raptors need is an IMPACT scoring SG/SF who can take over the game or control the game when it's on the line. Quincy Douby is an 10th-12th man which is another depth-guy and there 2nd round pick would be the only bright spot. Salmons simply doesn't like Toronto and we don't like him.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#40 » by Test of Wills » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:50 pm

And also I don't about you guys I kind of like that Diaw deal but only if was something like
Diaw+PHX's pick
Ford+TOR's pick

DIAW has a lot more value than Ford at this point...

Return to Toronto Raptors