ImageImageImageImageImage

Sactown trade idea: Let's play along

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dynasty93
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Sactown trade idea: Let's play along 

Post#41 » by Dynasty93 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:58 pm

The only way I do this deal is if it was something like Ford+17th for Salmons+12th+second rounder.
The Clippers Announcers: Where Jay Humphries happens.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#42 » by NashtyNas » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:43 pm

I am a Toronto Native, so a raptors fan, but also a Phoenix Suns fan, and I am completely astonished as to why people de-value DIAW so much. I personall dont like the Ford+17 - Diaw deal anyways, because a 8.5mil/year contract should NOT be your backup, especially when he is contemplating retirement with his injuries. I don't want Ford to have to do ANYTHING with the Raptors, nor the suns. But most of you saying that this deal is fairer than the phoenix deal is outragoues. YES, salmos put up better NUMBERS, but im pretty sure you guys don't know the circumstances. Kevin Martin and Mike Bibby were both out, therefore he played close to 40 minutes and was their "Go to guy." 18 pts in 40 minutes on 40% shooting is not that great. Hell, DIAW when stoudemire was out was much more effiecient and his numbers aren't bad for playing the 4 with a 6'8 frame and like 220pounds. He had to take a lot of the defencive load of bigs with shaq out because d'antoni played him at the 4 instead of 3, which is not his position. He also didnt get starter minutes, further hurting his production. And to me, its clear some of you OVERVALUE ford. He is a great player, Top-15 PG, but Toronto lacks defence, and this guy doesnt know the word defence. Not that Calderon does, but he is similar to nash in that he will try when he has to. Ford can net us better than Salmons thats for sure, because the Douby+2nd is redundant. We dont need another player that jacks up shots and wont make our rotation. Maggate should be our goal, but i wouldnt mind Jamaal Crawford if we can net him, he would replace Ford's production, match the horrible defence, all the while still keeping Calderon. Doesnt improve us defencively, but does give us that VERY important offensive option that teams have to lock in on.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
cage
Starter
And1: 11

Post#43 » by cage » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:29 pm

i was really hoping tj + expirings would land us someone who will actually make this team better and be the legit second option, not more bench players. seems it was stupid to think that. crawford? salmons? diaw? this blows
swirsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#44 » by swirsk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:55 pm

In the 41 games Salmons started, in which he played 38.1 MPG:

17.5 PPG - 5.4 RPG - 3.5 APG - 1.6 SPG - 4.1 FTA
.497 FG% - .385 3P% - .811 FT%

This is as the second option, the first option being Martin, so no fear of him having to be the first option to succeed. This is also the year after a contract season, which does say something about his character.

I think this is a guy who is a legit second option on the Raptors. Nothing amazing, just a solid 14-17 PPG guy who can create shots for himself and others.

Considering the Diaw rumours, I'd be much, much happier with Salmons. The only question is if he'd willingly come to Toronto. I remember the whole "god" fiasco, but I don't remember if it was really he didn't want to play in Toronto or if it was a money issue. I have to think if he signed with us in the first place, he couldn't have been completely opposed to Canada or anything. Could somebody clarify?
formerly known as Swirsky4PM
T-Spot
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#45 » by T-Spot » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:00 pm

sd1306 wrote:18 pts in 40 minutes on 40% shooting is not that great......blahblahblah

blahblahblah.....but i wouldnt mind Jamaal Crawford if we can net him

:noway:
Raptolicism
Rookie
And1: 480

Post#46 » by Raptolicism » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 pm

Salmons > Diaw + 17

Salmons < Diaw

If we give up the 17th for Diaw, then we need a little something more from Phoenix in return.
YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WE THE CHAMPS BABY!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I-AM-A-BEAST
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#47 » by I-AM-A-BEAST » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:16 am

sd1306 wrote:I am a Toronto Native, so a raptors fan, but also a Phoenix Suns fan, and I am completely astonished as to why people de-value DIAW so much. I personall dont like the Ford+17 - Diaw deal anyways, because a 8.5mil/year contract should NOT be your backup, especially when he is contemplating retirement with his injuries. I don't want Ford to have to do ANYTHING with the Raptors, nor the suns. But most of you saying that this deal is fairer than the phoenix deal is outragoues. YES, salmos put up better NUMBERS, but im pretty sure you guys don't know the circumstances. Kevin Martin and Mike Bibby were both out, therefore he played close to 40 minutes and was their "Go to guy." 18 pts in 40 minutes on 40% shooting is not that great. Hell, DIAW when stoudemire was out was much more effiecient and his numbers aren't bad for playing the 4 with a 6'8 frame and like 220pounds. He had to take a lot of the defencive load of bigs with shaq out because d'antoni played him at the 4 instead of 3, which is not his position. He also didnt get starter minutes, further hurting his production. And to me, its clear some of you OVERVALUE ford. He is a great player, Top-15 PG, but Toronto lacks defence, and this guy doesnt know the word defence. Not that Calderon does, but he is similar to nash in that he will try when he has to. Ford can net us better than Salmons thats for sure, because the Douby+2nd is redundant. We dont need another player that jacks up shots and wont make our rotation. Maggate should be our goal, but i wouldnt mind Jamaal Crawford if we can net him, he would replace Ford's production, match the horrible defence, all the while still keeping Calderon. Doesnt improve us defencively, but does give us that VERY important offensive option that teams have to lock in on.

Considering the numbers Swirsky4PM just posted, I would suggest you are the one completely clueless of the circumstances. Salmons was extremely efficient during that stretch (41 games, which is quite sizable) and the team managed to stay afloat despite missing several key players including Bibby, Martin and Artest. Salmons was superior to Diaw last year.

In fact, If I had the choice between Diaw, Crawford and Salmons, considering age, contract and ability, I would take Salmons no doubt. He's a superior scorer to Diaw in volume and efficiency, much more efficient than Crawford, about on par or a little below as a passer compared to Diaw or Crawford, is about just as good a rebounder as Diaw (and better than Crawford) and is a much better defender than the other two, especially on the perimeter. And has a much better contract to boot.
T-Spot
Veteran

Post#48 » by T-Spot » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:29 am

I won't trade Ford for Salmons though. If it ain't Artest, I'm not feeling it.
heemer
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#49 » by heemer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:54 am

These trades are fair value for Ford. Alot of you are seriously over rating his market value (as has been discussed at length). In any event, if youre expecting more from a trade than this sort of proposal, you will soon be very disappointed.

however, I agree with Rhettmatic that depth is not a need, and a better quality starting 2/3 should be the aim.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#50 » by KF10 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:06 am

This is my post from a different thread about the whole issue of Salmons and Toronto:

kingsfan10 wrote:I think the whole Salmons/Toronto issue is overblown. True, Salmons has given his verbal commitment to Toronto (SnT) But he decided to back off. One of the reason why he backed off is because Salmons' spiritual self. (He is a devoted Babptist) He believed that that is not the place ideal for him and his family as a whole thus the quote "God told me too...etc" And he didn't want to regret his faith again. So, he chose Sacramento instead of Phoenix and Toronto. And other reasons were that Chris Webber influence the sudden change of mind for Salmons. Webber has talked with Salmons about Sacramento. That is one of the reasons...

And besides apologized the whole incident to the city of Toronto and the Raptors organization.

Salmons didnt left Toronto in bad terms. At the least he left Toronto in neural terms. Here is a quote from Sam Mitchell:

"I can't get mad at John for changing his mind," Raptors coach Sam Mitchell said. "It wasn't (only) us. He changed his mind with Phoenix ... The good thing is we're glad at least he was honest and told us.

"It would have been a predicament if he would have came and been unhappy and felt like in his heart, he made the wrong decision.

"So from my standpoint, we're thankful he at least said he was honest and said, 'Guys, I have reservations about it, I want to go somewhere else.' by letting us know before we signed him to a contract. Then, we would have had to go try to trade him and all this stuff."

And again after the whole incident, they signed Fred Jones. And they were really happy at the time.

"What it did was open the door for us to sign Freddy," Mitchell said. "We really felt it was a blessing in disguise because we're really happy with Freddy.

"We think he's still a young player and he's going to get better. It seems like he's getting better every game. We feel like he has got unbelievable talent, not to say John doesn't.

But it seems like sometimes things work out for a reason and we're happy with the way it worked out."

So yeah, I think it is overblown the whole issue regarding Salmons/Toronto.

Also we would assumed that there will be talks regarding to that but again there is no indication that Salmons hates or will not play for Toronto if he decides to go. But again, there is a small risk though, but not a large one that people make it out.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#51 » by Veggamattic » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:53 am

We are in a "sell low" with Ford right now but the longer we hold on to him the more his stock should rise. Assuming he plays the same way he did to start last season.

Diaw is just another Euro that only plays during his contract year. Salmons is just way too mediocre and not the fit for Toronto. I don't mind Crawford but I haven't given it enough thought yet and I'd rather get a big. Maggette is definitely the only guy that makes me drool.

We really need to wait until we hear the results of the draft and the free agent camp before we do anything. I see no point in rushing.
T-Spot
Veteran

Post#52 » by T-Spot » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 pm

kingsfan10 wrote:
Also we would assumed that there will be talks regarding to that but again there is no indication that Salmons hates or will not play for Toronto if he decides to go. But again, there is a small risk though, but not a large one that people make it out.

If Salmons bailing was the reason we signed Fred Jones, then I hate Salmons even more. :wink:
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#53 » by NashtyNas » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:23 pm

i didnt say salmons numbers werent better, i said he got more minutes and was the main or 2nd option, which diaw clearly wasnt. he was the 4th, sometimes 5th option. (Nash, Stoudemire, Marion, Barbosa..). This took away from production but he still put up 9-5-4 or whatever 8.8-blah-blah. If he was the 2nd option, he would easily put up 17-7-6 like he showed in spurts when amare was out.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#54 » by TerryTate » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:45 pm

Salmons didn't want to come to TO
Has one decent season... unproven....
Way too much for TJ
Rather Take Diaw or JO...

Return to Toronto Raptors