ImageImageImageImageImage

2008/2009 Raptors Cap, Salaries, Tax Breakdown

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Shak23
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Re: 2008/2009 Raptors Cap, Salaries, Tax Breakdown 

Post#41 » by Shak23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Wait... if nobody offers more than the MLE for Jose, why would we offer him more? We should just match the MLE and sign him for that.
Brezec = Euro Oakley
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#42 » by satyr9 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:14 pm

The best case for Jose if he has a contract with maximum raises per year if it's 5/40 (as backloaded as you can get in NBA contracts) is:

That's actually 40.23 million, but it was easier to remember then if I started with the actual bare minimum starting point to get to 5/40.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#43 » by dagger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Shak23 wrote:Wait... if nobody offers more than the MLE for Jose, why would we offer him more? We should just match the MLE and sign him for that.

If we tried that, he'll be playing for Olympiakos before Anthony Parker gets there.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Shak23
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#44 » by Shak23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:19 pm

dagger wrote:
Shak23 wrote:Wait... if nobody offers more than the MLE for Jose, why would we offer him more? We should just match the MLE and sign him for that.

If we tried that, he'll be playing for Olympiakos before Anthony Parker gets there.

Jose really wants to play in TO. He said its not about money, its about playing time and whats comfortable for him.

Give him 500k over the MLE per year and sign him long term at 12:00am July 1st.
Brezec = Euro Oakley
Dynasty93
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Dynasty93 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:25 pm

^^^ BC has historically kept his players happy salary-wise and I expect him to do so with Calderon, especially with Calderon having the leverage of being able to play overseas where he will get paid.

Every player will say its not about the money, but your just being naive if you really believe thats all they're considering. If he didn't care about the money then why not sign with LA for minimum wage?
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#46 » by hoop_head » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Jose is restricted, BC would just match any low-ball offer.
One of Shemps Kids
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#47 » by One of Shemps Kids » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:50 pm

To 'match the MLE' it would mean Jose would actually have to sign an offer from another team for the MLE. Oh, and if it comes to a teams offering him the MLE at most and the Raptors are liker "Sorry, Jose, here's the MLE", it would make it MORE LIKELY for another team to come in and give him what he deserves (aka more than the MLE) because Jose at that point might not even want to play in Toronto because of the screw job BC tried to pull on him.

It'll never happen.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#48 » by Trilogy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:42 am

Bryan's all about respect, he's not going to try to screw Jose. He's very fair and willing to pay his guys fair money when it comes to contracts if they deserve.

The concept of lowballing Calderon to save a little money wouldn't sit well with him, even if he is a great guy. That's the type of thing that pisses you off, especially as they seem to have an agreement in place already.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,819

Post#49 » by junot111 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:01 am

h00pst1r wrote:Also, someone mentioned that maybe we could get Jose to sign for less, like 6 million per...I think that's ridiculous! Jose deserves to get paid. Personally I think he will make at least 9 million this year and frankly that's a bargain price especially when you compare it to a salary like JO's. In essence whoever proposed that Jose should take less money is basically suggesting that b/c we now have JO who is taking up so much salary, Jose should be affected and get less...doesn't make sense. If anything, JO should restructure that massive contract if he really wants to win as badly as he claims.

Stop comparing O'Neal to Calderon. O'Neal is a 6-time all star and he was Indiana's franchise superstar big man. Thats all in the past. You are bringing up his contract when theres only 2 years left. His contract is the sole reason why Calderon needs to sign for less. Calderon deserves 8 million. If you want him to be overpaid then maybe you should take money out of your own pocket and donate it to MLSE? This is a business :roll:
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#50 » by The Duke » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:19 am

BC will not low-ball Jose, he will give fair mkt value, one thing u cant doubt is his ppl skills. he might have a handshake agreement in place already who knows... either way the only wiggle room we might have is the structuring of the funds, hopefully backended
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,599

Post#51 » by AbC? » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:06 am

Yes or no, is it possible in ANY way to sign Ron Artest?
Raptors90102
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#52 » by Raptors90102 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:21 am

AbC? wrote:Yes or no, is it possible in ANY way to sign Ron Artest?

there is if:

- he is willing to come to toronto for the mle

- MLSE is willig to pay luxury tax
h00pst1r
Starter
And1: 1

Post#53 » by h00pst1r » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:23 am

dagger wrote:

Hey Dagger, I'm curious about the mini pack offer in your sig. Is that something you are offering for this upcoming season? If so, I'm very interested so maybe you can add me to yor list (if you have started one) and update me when the schedule comes out? Thanks in advance.
yk24 wrote:Moon bit on CBs pump fake.
h00pst1r
Starter

Post#54 » by h00pst1r » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:39 am

junot111 wrote:
h00pst1r wrote:Also, someone mentioned that maybe we could get Jose to sign for less, like 6 million per...I think that's ridiculous! Jose deserves to get paid. Personally I think he will make at least 9 million this year and frankly that's a bargain price especially when you compare it to a salary like JO's. In essence whoever proposed that Jose should take less money is basically suggesting that b/c we now have JO who is taking up so much salary, Jose should be affected and get less...doesn't make sense. If anything, JO should restructure that massive contract if he really wants to win as badly as he claims.

Stop comparing O'Neal to Calderon. O'Neal is a 6-time all star and he was Indiana's franchise superstar big man. Thats all in the past. You are bringing up his contract when theres only 2 years left. His contract is the sole reason why Calderon needs to sign for less. Calderon deserves 8 million. If you want him to be overpaid then maybe you should take money out of your own pocket and donate it to MLSE? This is a business :roll:

Wow, where to begin! "6 time all-star and he WAS Indiana's franchise superstar big man", we're in a "what have you done for me recently era bud, and JO has done absolutely nothing for the past two years other than been a distraction and headache for Indy. And like I said, there is no reason why Jose should earn less b/c we now took on JO's massive contract...lets put it another way...say you work for a big corporation on a contract basis, they just hired a new CEO who makes 25% of all total salaries...you just got a promotion as you are very important to the company but they offer you a new contract for much less than you (and other competing companies) believe you are worth and ratonalize it by saying "you need to take less" b/c we now have this superstar CEO we have to pay more...how pleased would you be with that?! Also, I will continue to compare their salaries b/c I believe Jose should be paided what he deserves (8-9 mill at minimum) and if I (and most Raps fans I believe) would rather have a happy Jose and no JO than a disrespected Jose who may go elsewhere and JO. Finally, only time will tell if Jose's new contract would put him in the over-paid category, but why in god's name would I give money to multi-billion dollar corporation? I think you missed my point, I think MLSE can afford to pay Jose his value irrespective of what other players are making...it's a business, you're right, so they should make smart business decisions and lock up Jose for the long-haul, clearly they have the money to do it, it's just a matter if they want to be stingy and with the JO deal it doesn't appear that that is the case...so why start with Jose.
yk24 wrote:Moon bit on CBs pump fake.
Paradokz
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#55 » by Paradokz » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 am

if we pay artest the mle of 5mil, we'd be 3mil over the cap?
so we'd be paying 3x2 + 2 = 8 mil for artest? when his actual salary would be around 5mil

i doubt artest would accept the offer.. when he could easily go to the celtics (to replace posey), lakers, or even MIA if he actually does desire to stay in the east
asif9t9
Banned User

Post#56 » by asif9t9 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks for this thread. This thread has confirmed what I was thinking. We're screwed. MLSE will NOT go over the luxury threshold, unless BC can convince them that his last move will make us real contenders. The Leafs will suck this year, but MLSE is already giving away free money to buyout bad contracts. It's like the Leafs' budget for this year will be over the NHL cap.

What worries me is that we'll have to count on players like Roko to play important minutes. And how does Delfino fit in.
Jon_Bon
Senior

Post#57 » by Jon_Bon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:12 pm

I don't think the Raptors are screwed, they just have to be smart in what they do.

The options as I see are things like packaging Bargs and Kapono and getting back three average players (This doesn't mean young guys with potential, it means guys like the Celtics signed in House and Posey).

The alternative is package those two up for your wing player like Artest or Maggette (S&T). This does two things. It frees up some cap room and gets a 3rd option. It does spell the end of the Bargs era though.
Purple Forever
Junior
And1: 227

Post#58 » by Purple Forever » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:19 pm

3 Scenarios to keep in mind

1. Trading Graham for a backup PG - say a Travis Diener, or trading Graham and Hump for a 3 to a team looking to cut salary.

2. Qualifying offer to Delfino can be withdrawn

3. Players signed to the minimum do not count towards the tax, so signing Jawai or Ukic to the minimum will not impact the luxary tax.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#59 » by dagger » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:22 pm

asif9t9 wrote:Thanks for this thread. This thread has confirmed what I was thinking. We're screwed. MLSE will NOT go over the luxury threshold, unless BC can convince them that his last move will make us real contenders. The Leafs will suck this year, but MLSE is already giving away free money to buyout bad contracts. It's like the Leafs' budget for this year will be over the NHL cap.

What worries me is that we'll have to count on players like Roko to play important minutes. And how does Delfino fit in.

I don't think the Leafs situation impacts us one iota. Everything they do has to fit under a hard cap. You buy a player out, it has to be amortized over the cap. And you can book-keep a buyout the same way. From a book-keeping or budget perspective, I don't think that will be an issue. They got rid of the coach and GM for almost nothing, they aren't buying out McCabe (yet), Kubina has trade value, so I don't see the big cash outlay.
h00pst1r
Starter

Post#60 » by h00pst1r » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Bargs is not going anywhere this season...I wish people would stop saying that,it gets soooo old,

Return to Toronto Raptors