ImageImageImageImageImage

Spain's eye-catching faux pas (Update PG23)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Re: Spain's eye-catching faux pas 

Post#21 » by sh00n » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:16 pm

The_Original_Baller wrote:
MrBojangelz71 wrote:If that was TJ, he woulda passed......ahem.

If it was TJ he would have been chased out of the city, oh wait he was..... :nonono:

:rofl:

Any chances you guys get. . .
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
The_Original_Baller
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#22 » by The_Original_Baller » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm

I'm not asian but i love asian women so i'm pissed!!!!! :evil:
And1Viper
Junior
And1: 1

Post#23 » by And1Viper » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm

I'm not Asian (well, not the type that we're talking about) but I think the Spanish team is taking a bit too much heat... personally, growing up in a diverse environment, I don't find those poses very racist, although I wouldn't do it myself. I'm certain that none of the players themselves have anything against Asians or anything remotely close, they were just doing as they were told and no one saw a problem big enough to object and stop the whole thing.
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#24 » by Meursault » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Obviously, not every Spaniard endorses in such racist sentiments, though the photographers, the members of the basketball team, and the publishers are collectively responsible. Since they DO represent their country Spain in the international sports arena, I think a full apology with explanation is necessary. Having said that, I am certain that if an apology is offered to both China and all members of the IOC, that it will be accepted in good grace and people will be able to move on. What I wouldn't like to see if this issue being dragged on and somehow compromising Spain's bid in the future Olympics--ramifications that will unfairly affect the Spanish citizens who were not responsible in this woeful display of racial and ethnic intolerance.
the_real_deception
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by the_real_deception » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:21 pm

jose will have some explaining to do in his half arse english this october.
WARCRIMEZ
Junior

Post#26 » by WARCRIMEZ » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:21 pm

They should've just burned maaaaaaad joints before the pics.......
"I ain't gave my nuts a fade in a new york minute"
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#27 » by bakafool » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm

the_real_deception wrote:jose will have some explaining to do in his half arse english this october.

simply handing out the gatorade won't cut it this time, hehe
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
the_real_deception
Banned User

Post#28 » by the_real_deception » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:29 pm

bakafool wrote:
the_real_deception wrote:jose will have some explaining to do in his half arse english this october.

simply handing out the gatorade won't cut it this time, hehe

this proves my point- athletes are idiots!!! doesnt he realize that toronto has one of the biggest asian expatriate communities in the world.
The_Original_Baller
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#29 » by The_Original_Baller » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:30 pm

:rofl:
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,306

Post#30 » by Kordic27 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Meursault wrote:
from24ft wrote:I am not asian, and I find it to be insensitive.

What if they were in a country where large lips where a common feature and the whole team stuck out their lips?

I'm asian, and I was about to say the exact same thing. Cultural naivete is not an excuse. It's no longer the 19th century where social darwinism and racial imperialism is accepted as a cultural norm. Given our globalized culture, and particularly the extent to which soccer has promoted anti-racist campaigns throughout Europe, to plead the case of 'ignorance' is simply unacceptable.

Sorry, but cultural naivete IS an excuse in this case imo, because the act of drawing back non-asian eyes to make them look more asian isn't insulting without the racially denigrating history behind it.
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#31 » by MrBojangelz71 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Quite honestly this is a bad blunder on the entire team, management, staff and players for not one person saying "Stop! Is this a good idea?"
I don't think they meant anything by it but to be that completely ignorant by the entire group is a bad way to represent your country. I have a feeling many of them wanted to say something but conformed to the request by the photographer as to not stand out. Still, in this day and age and during the Oly's, when the world is to come together and enjoy each others respected cultures, making such gestures is very inappropriate.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#32 » by YogiStewart » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:32 pm

Hanson_love wrote:I'm asian myself and it is clearly a racist act.

see, i don't see it as racism.

i thinks its pure ignorance, stupidity and the worst judgement i've seen by a professional athlete off the court since Kobagate.

its almost as if they have no concept as to a) what's wrong, b) what's wrong, c) what a camera does, d) how the internet works at spreading information

you don't ask "what were they thinking?" since athletes don't get paid to think. this photo is actual proof.

what really saddens me is that, without the Mod's warning, i would say that half of the posts (judging by the previous topic posted on this photo) would state how funny or non-racist it is.

by the way, I'm sending Jose an email to express my disappointment in his judgement. I am sure that BC will have a few words for him. this doesn't cut it in this city.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,242

Post#33 » by LLJ » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm Asian, and while I don't believe the players themselves are racist, I do believe it is a gesture in poor taste. China has generally been on its bestest behaviour right now so it will be interesting to see if they throw down the gauntlet of outrage or play it down.

I'm a pretty big fan of Jose so I think he deserves a chance to at least apologise
LLJ
RealGM

Post#34 » by LLJ » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Kordic27 wrote:
Meursault wrote:

What if they were in a country where large lips where a common feature and the whole team stuck out their lips?

I'm asian, and I was about to say the exact same thing. Cultural naivete is not an excuse. It's no longer the 19th century where social darwinism and racial imperialism is accepted as a cultural norm. Given our globalized culture, and particularly the extent to which soccer has promoted anti-racist campaigns throughout Europe, to plead the case of 'ignorance' is simply unacceptable.

Sorry, but cultural naivete IS an excuse in this case imo, because the act of drawing back non-asian eyes to make them look more asian isn't insulting without the racially denigrating history behind it.

We're in th 21st century though. Spain is not a backwards country, thy should know better.
Torontos_raptor
Junior
And1: 104

Post#35 » by Torontos_raptor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:34 pm

ppl need to lighten up, it seems like everybody is over sensative about things now a'days
RaptorReloaded
Veteran
And1: 970

Post#36 » by RaptorReloaded » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm sorry but I'm actualy more outraged that people are taking offence to this picture. One poster said it before me but we need to be more accepting and practice some humility when it comes to race instead of being a bunch of uptight ass's who get their little panties all up in knots cause of some little picture.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#37 » by bakafool » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Sorry but I have to express my displeasure at something different but related .... what pisses me off is when some tragedy is used as part of a comedy act in certain shows such as Jay Leno.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#38 » by LLJ » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:43 pm

RaptorReloaded wrote:I'm sorry but I'm actualy more outraged that people are taking offence to this picture. One poster said it before me but we need to be more accepting and practice some humility when it comes to race instead of being a bunch of uptight ass's who get their little panties all up in knots cause of some little picture.

How would people feel if white American guys were mocking African-Americans by pretending to be gorillas, or some such?
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#39 » by Meursault » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Kordic27 wrote:
Meursault wrote:

Are you kidding? I don't see how your point equates the deed with "cultural naivete". As far as I'm concerned, Spain is a country that is sufficiently integrated in the global community, with a sizable population of ethnic minorities from all over the world, and has had more than sufficient exposure to the issue of racism given the recent incidents that have occurred both in their country and in European athletics. Furthermore, the perpetrators of this racist action can hardly be exonerated under the claim of "cultural naivete" considering how well-traveled and how much exposure they've had to other cultures. It's not like we're talking about 50 people who have never left their native village or had contact with outsiders. Even if ALL of these individuals are somehow "naive" to the fact that their actions were racist, this still does not obviate the necessity to make a full and sincere apology.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,310

Post#40 » by Shaazzam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Torontos_raptor wrote:ppl need to lighten up, it seems like everybody is over sensative about things now a'days

I understand your point, it's just a dicey situation when people start mocking other's physical appearance. (All I have in my mind is the pics of mods thread as I type this LOL.)

I guess it's a good thing we don't care what other's think we look like, as opposed to mocking what other's actually look like.

When things are produced that have a possibility of public consumption, and that's pretty much everything nowadays, it's pretty stupid to be caught with your pants down in such a compromising pose.

Especially when you are wearing your nations colors.

The ramifications are far reaching regardless of the intentions or context of the situation, which I have no idea what they are one way or the other, so I am not excusing their actions.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone

Return to Toronto Raptors