ImageImageImageImageImage

Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi BAN IN USA(Raps made offer PG4)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

dabossman
Senior
And1: 2

Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi BAN IN USA(Raps made offer PG4) 

Post#1 » by dabossman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:03 am

So I am reading the wiretap and see that this Iranian guy whom I have never herd of befor is catching the eyes of the NBA GM's. Seems he is not allowed to play for a USA NBA team because of some technicality Banning USA business to do business with with Iranian Nationals.

My immediate thought was we are Canadian and a Canadian business and have no such regulations banning us from doing business with Iranian Nationals. Is this a loophole. Could we possibly be the only suitors for this mans tallents in the NBA. I am gonna assume that possibly the NBA would not allow us as well out of fairness to the rest of the league or because the NBA itself is an American business and governs over our team regardless of our nationality. I donno, but intesting thought isn't it.
Romaniano
Banned User
And1: 611

Re: Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi BAN IN USA 

Post#2 » by Romaniano » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:06 am

Public warning for racist comments. Posts quoting will be deleted so as to not derail the thread further.-Shaazzam
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#3 » by jalenrose#5 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:06 am

Same thought went through my head, but unfortunately, we play 41 games south of the 49 and I really don't see it being workable. It's too bad, we could always use a true Center.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,549

Post#4 » by Tha Cynic » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:17 am

Romaniano wrote:oh God it was a joke relax.

Was it now?

Well why did you remove it? You should let the rest of the board see it.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Black Milk
Lead Assistant
And1: 987

Post#5 » by Black Milk » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:20 am

Romaniano wrote:
oh God it was a joke relax.

That didn't look anything like a joke. It looked like ignorance.

EDIT: I agree with cynic, leave it on then.
monkeynutz
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by monkeynutz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:25 am

jalenrose#5 wrote:Same thought went through my head, but unfortunately, we play 41 games south of the 49 and I really don't see it being workable. It's too bad, we could always use a true Center.

so we leave him in toronto for 41 games. He's another body for the roster. could he be signed for the min?
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#7 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:03 am

NBA is a US business tho and the Rapters are apart of them
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#8 » by 99 Problems » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:31 am

Politics should have no place in sports...
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#9 » by totallyr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:39 am

Warya wrote:Politics should have no place in sports...
Right on :D
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon
gusguy
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#10 » by gusguy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 am

Tell that to all the women that are banned by their countries in participating in sports in this guys part of the world!
Romaniano
Banned User
And1: 611

Post#11 » by Romaniano » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:55 am

gusguy wrote:

Tell that to all the women that are banned by their countries in participating in sports in this guys part of the world!

5 stars.
Demon
Junior
And1: 4

Post#12 » by Demon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:26 am

Ah, politics and sports.. I hate when they cross. The whole point of sports is that it kind of gives us a release or getaway from the "real" world. When you start mixing the two, it takes some of the fun out of everything. I don't know how good this guy could be but if he's banned by the United States, I'm sure he'd be banned from the Raptors as well to maintain an equal playing field. It's almost like saying one team can draft high school players and the other 29 can't..
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#13 » by SpaceJam » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 am

He is 7-2 so he is a legit big man. Seems like he is dominating the games he's playing, averaging 16.7 ppg 11.7 rpg 3.7 bpg and shooting a 51% from the floor. Not bad, though he is not a good ft shooter at 51%.
_________
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#14 » by bargs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:55 am

dabossman wrote:So I am reading the wiretap and see that this Iranian guy whom I have never herd of befor is catching the eyes of the NBA GM's. Seems he is not allowed to play for a USA NBA team because of some technicality Banning USA business to do business with with Iranian Nationals.

My immediate thought was we are Canadian and a Canadian business and have no such regulations banning us from doing business with Iranian Nationals. Is this a loophole. Could we possibly be the only suitors for this mans tallents in the NBA. I am gonna assume that possibly the NBA would not allow us as well out of fairness to the rest of the league or because the NBA itself is an American business and governs over our team regardless of our nationality. I donno, but intesting thought isn't it.

OK, i don't know exactly the problem, but i'm sure that the iranian federation also rejected trade proposal made by a lot of euroleague teams...so it's not only for the nba, but also for european teams
talha_raps
Pro Prospect
And1: 404

Post#15 » by talha_raps » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:55 am

gusguy wrote:

I Don't think that has much to do with politics, it has more to do with religion and culture.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#16 » by Deadpool Raptor » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:29 pm

gusguy wrote:

Iran actually has women in congress, women who speak in parliament, and yes, women in sport. I think you need to differentiate between Persian/Iranian culture and Arab culture, it's not just "that part of the world."
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#17 » by jman3134 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:03 pm

^ You speak the truth.

Shocking that this guy won't be able to come over and play for my Grizzlies. Hopefully an appeal is in order. Even if the guy is sent over, it could only be positive for Iran in that they could get exposure in terms of hoops. That means he could jumpstart a generation of Iranian basketball players. Why not bite the bullet and just allow him to play in the league with the best basketball training in the world? He could only help his country by allowing Hamed to utilize American facilities. The US on the other hand, should just leave politics out of sports.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#18 » by jman3134 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Anyone else see the parallel to the Ri Myong-Hun situation of the late 90's?
dabossman
Senior
And1: 2

Post#19 » by dabossman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:44 pm

jalenrose#5 wrote:Same thought went through my head, but unfortunately, we play 41 games south of the 49 and I really don't see it being workable. It's too bad, we could always use a true Center.

No where is the stipulations I have read does it say he can not travel within the USA. It simply says that USA business can not currently employ Iranian Nationals.
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#20 » by CrookedJ » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:41 pm

jman3134 wrote:Anyone else see the parallel to the Ri Myong-Hun situation of the late 90's?

Yeah . .he was North Korean and not allowed to play in the NBA because of US political reasons. Raptors worked him out I believe but were not allowed to sign him - even if he just played the 41 home games. Stupid US arrogance which is seemingly counter-productive towards making relations any better with these countries.

Return to Toronto Raptors