ImageImageImageImageImage

Are we better than the Blazers right now?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Re: Are we better than the Blazers right now? 

Post#21 » by Mack11 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:51 am

I think we're better.
Viperstrike
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#22 » by Viperstrike » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:58 am

I think the Raptors are better then the Blazers right now, but the Blazers do have some amazing young talent.
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#23 » by cram » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:48 am

I would trade our team for theirs in about 3 milliseconds.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#24 » by ponder276 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:31 am

I think they get about 2-3 more wins (us high 40s to 50 wins, them low 50s), and they do it in the slightly harder western conference (yes, only slightly harder this year), so I do think they'll be a bit better than us this year, but not much.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#25 » by YogiStewart » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:15 pm

raptor21_85 wrote:we got more chances to make the playoffs, but head to head, i think they got a slight advantage

see, i'm trying to play out how the 2 teams match up head to head. not sure what to expect from Oden. everyone labels him as the 2nd coming, but part of me thinks he has bust potential. injury prone and he showed in college that he may not have the heart.

there are a lot of injury-concern players on the Blazers (the same can be said for JO and Bosh).

and I'm not sold on Aldridge.

i just wonder if the Blazers were last year's version of the Raps 2 years ago. will they come back down to earth this year?
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#26 » by RapsFanInVA » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm not entirely sure why we're comparing ourselves to the Blazers, but I think they're better. The West was so much better than the East last year, and they had the same number of wins as us. Now it's up to how well Oden and O'neal benefit their respective teams this year, which I'm too uncertain of to make a prediction.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#27 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Depends how you are qualifying the term better. If it's by predicted wins this season then here's my take:

straight talent, yes the Blazers right now are way more talented, more athletic and have much more depth. Experience, and understanding how to win? I still think their star players have a couple more years to go before becoming consistent winners.

When you look at how the Blazers acheived their .500 record last season, it came on extreme streaks, which shows the highs and lows of very talented players not yet understanding what an 82 game season feels like. Keep in mind, yes the west had better teams on the top end but 10 of the Blazers wins last season came from beating terrible Minnesota, Memphis, and LAC teams (teams they should be beating anyways). But when it came time to play the top end talented teams in the West, they struggled (Utah, and LAL are the only wins they could get to a 5-3 record). The rest of the top teams in the West and East they just didn't have the experience to get the wins yet (which IMO will come in a couple of more seasons).

While the Raptors last season dropped quite a few games to teams they should have beaten easily, they were able to take games off the top teams of the West and East (not win the series, but at least take a few games and compete). No big win streaks, but no big losing streaks either. It showed they knew how to win, they just didn't have the fire power to put together the big win runs to get themselves in a better playoff position.

Disregarding any major injuries, I'd have to give the Raps the nod this season at having a better record come April.
Bryans_Collar
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Bryans_Collar » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:49 pm

rapz**7** wrote:
NikeAir wrote:Tittle says it all. I think we are we have better post players a better point guard but they have better wings and a better bench, but since we are going to play our starters more it shouldn't matter.

Is Roy really better than Calderon?

Yes

And before anyone jumps on me, let me just say Roy is SIGNIFICANTLY better than TJ.
Bargnani PER
2007 - 12.9
2008 - 10.7
Hollinger predicted 2009 - 11.8
Bryans_Collar HOPES FOR 2009 - 17.0
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#29 » by dagger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:59 pm

AB_21 wrote:They had a better record while playing stiffer competition...the stats don't lie. You can say whatever you want about overachieving and underachieving but they were better than us.

Actually, stats can lie, and when a team is taken for granted, they can overachieve. It was argued by many last year that opponents took us more seriously precisely because we had "surprised" on the upside the season before.

I think we're very close to the Blazers this year, but they have more good young players. If JO can recapture, say, 85% of his former glory, we might well be as good or slightly better than Portland, but right now they have a more settled and attractive long-term outlook (much like the Bulls of two years ago), subject to contract issues and injuries working their way.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
omeloon
Starter

Post#30 » by omeloon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Exactly. Portland had a solid season, but most would argue that they still over achieved. They really only had one really great stretch, and I don't even remember if the competition was that fierce at the time.

When fully healthy Toronto was the better team. Things just completely blew up the last half of the year. I still won't argue that either team is surely better than the other, but I do think Toronto has the present edge. Jermaine and Bosh should look much better than Oden and Aldridge this season if all four players are back to good health.

Roy is an awesome talent, but his offensive game is still a bit overrated. He's still not an ideal #1 option on offense... Dunleavy was on the same level last season with better shooting percentages. I just think they're even less consistent than us. At least we have a pretty set starting five with bench players who should know their roles. Portland has a lot of youth they are trying to develop, and unless Roy plays a lot at PG, they're still a bit unspectacular at that position until they prove otherwise
omeloon
Starter

Post#31 » by omeloon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Portland really only had one amazing stretch last season, and it's the main reason why their record was so good

17 wins in 18 games:

Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Utah
GS
Utah
Denver
NOH
Raps
Denver
OKC
Minny
Philly
Minny
Chi
Utah
GS

Still incredibly impressive, but lets not make it seem more impressive and say that them playing in the West made it that much more impressive. That's a relatively easy schedule right there
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#32 » by RapsBulls4evr » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:06 pm

cram wrote:I would trade our team for theirs in about 3 milliseconds.

Thank goodness you are not our GM, or associated with the Raps in anyway, shape or form. Leave it to NikeAir to make (Please Use More Appropriate Word) a thread.

"Are we better than so-and so right now?"

I don't understand the point of such comparisons... at all. Maybe, it's just me, I don't know. :biggrin:
omeloon
Starter

Post#33 » by omeloon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:26 pm

It made a lot more sense to compare the two teams when we had TJ, and we knew we'd have a decent mid round pick in 2008. The way things were going, both teams were looking like two of the better young teams in the NBA.

After the JO trade though, I think Toronto's focus on chasing titles will have to a bit shorter than the window Portland can plan for. Right when we traded for TJ and had the #1 pick, there was a lot of excitement over how we would be one of the best young teams in the league... now it's more like we have one of the best young players in the league, but we're still trying to win as much as we possibly can now while still keeping optimism alive.

Portland feels like they can win now, but they're obviously not worried about fixing playing time issues or trading potential for veteran leadership just yet. Their minds are much more focused on the future than we are here.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#34 » by NashtyNas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:36 pm

5DOM wrote:so many unknowns for both teams.

Right on the money. I'd still take that blazers team over our team ANY day of the week. Why you ask? Currently, most of you think WE are better, but I'd probably disagree. For any given team that wants a championship, a very good wing player who can get you 20 PPG and defend well at his position is necessary, and we don't have that, while they do. Interior defense is necessary, and if Oden pans out, both teams have it, so I won't comment on that. But, go back in history, and check how many teams have won championships without having a 20PPG wing who can defend. Last 10 years, its been

98 - Jordan
99 - Sean Elliot
00 - Kobe
01 - Kobe
02 - Kobe
03 - Manu
04 - Rip / Prince
05 - Manu
06 - Wade
07 - Manu
08 - Pierce

Only ONE team didn't have an extremely offensively potent wing, and thats the '99 Spurs team, and we all know they didn't need one. Wing's are important, and the Raptors don't have one that can
a) take over the game offensively in the clutch
b) shut down the other teams best wing player (the Kobe's and LeBron's of the league)
c) be consistent as a leader

All those guys other than Elliot lead their teams at certain, if not most points in the clutch. Without a wing like that, it's VERY difficult for me to imagine the Raptors going anywhere. The Blazers on the other hand, have Roy, who can play the PG and the SG, and I will put Rudy here, even though hes an "unknown" still, because I've been following him for a while and I pretty much can guarantee that he pans out as at least a 15-4-2.5 guy. With wings like that, all they need from Oden/LMA/Travis is 12-15 PPG each, and solid defense, which LMA and Travis play already, and they are SET, especially with a bench that includes Webster, Bayless and so on.

So, in my view, even with all the unknowns, the Blazers are currently and in the future will be a better team than the Raptors (unless we pull off a masterpiece trade or signing in 2010 :) )

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Hit Em Up
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,778

Post#35 » by Hit Em Up » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:37 pm

I think we are better than them this season.. but after that, i don't know.. I think Portland will be really scary in a couple seasons
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#36 » by cram » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Raps4evr wrote:

Thank goodness you are not our GM, or associated with the Raps in anyway, shape or form.

I think if you gave any GM in the league an opportunity to choose btwn our rosters every single one (including BC) would choose Portland.

Brandon Roy, Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez
Rudy Fernandez/Jerryd Bayless, Rodriquez/Batum
Travis Outlaw, Martell Webster, Nicholas Batum
Aldridge, Frye, Diogu
Oden, Pryz, Frye.

Caleron, Ukic
Parker, Adams
Moon, Kapono, Graham
Bosh, Bargs, Hump
JO, Jawai

You'd really rather have our roster??
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#37 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:32 am

omeloon wrote:Portland really only had one amazing stretch last season, and it's the main reason why their record was so good

17 wins in 18 games:

Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Utah
GS
Utah
Denver
NOH
Raps
Denver
OKC
Minny
Philly
Minny
Chi
Utah
GS

Still incredibly impressive, but lets not make it seem more impressive and say that them playing in the West made it that much more impressive. That's a relatively easy schedule right there

So you are saying they didn't play against tougher competition because their easy stretch had an overall winning percentage (.470) roughly the same as the entire Eastern Conference over the whole season (.472)?

Way to make the other side's argument for them.

Edit-so many of you seriously seem to think it's close, and some wouldn't trade rosters, if given the chance? Really? Well, someone should propose this question on the General Board, see how it goes. I'd expect some anti-Canadianism to rear its ugly head.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#38 » by Dennis P » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:41 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
omeloon wrote:Portland really only had one amazing stretch last season, and it's the main reason why their record was so good

17 wins in 18 games:

Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Utah
GS
Utah
Denver
NOH
Raps
Denver
OKC
Minny
Philly
Minny
Chi
Utah
GS

So you are saying they didn't play against tougher competition because their easy stretch had an overall winning percentage (.470) roughly the same as the entire Eastern Conference over the whole season (.472)?

Edit-so many of you seriously seem to think it's close, and some wouldn't trade rosters, if given the chance? Really? Well, someone should propose this question on the General Board, see how it goes. I'd expect some anti-Canadianism to rear its ugly head.

Without a doubt I would take Portland's lineup over ours right now mainly because of Brandon Roy. To think we could've had him!!!!

Of course Oden should be good but I haven't seen evidence of that as yet.
halfcourt
Banned User

Post#39 » by halfcourt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:48 am

Harry Palmer wrote:

17 wins in 18 games:

Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Utah
GS
Utah
Denver
NOH
Raps
Denver
OKC
Minny
Philly
Minny
Chi
Utah
GS

what? you have a problem with people saying its close when comparing if they're better than us . Exactly one guy suggested he woudn't take portland's roster(it wasn't even clear what he said) over ours, so i don't see any reason for your typical condescending post , i don't know what you have against raptor fans but you do belong on the general board

edit:

looks like that one guy didn't even say he wants the raptors roster over blazers, so please think twice before trying to show us how every raptor fan is a homer and everyone else is not.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#40 » by RapsBulls4evr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:56 am

cram wrote:
Raps4evr wrote:

Thank goodness you are not our GM, or associated with the Raps in anyway, shape or form.

I think if you gave any GM in the league an opportunity to choose btwn our rosters every single one (including BC) would choose Portland.

Brandon Roy, Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez
Rudy Fernandez/Jerryd Bayless, Rodriquez/Batum
Travis Outlaw, Martell Webster, Nicholas Batum
Aldridge, Frye, Diogu
Oden, Pryz, Frye.

Caleron, Ukic
Parker, Adams
Moon, Kapono, Graham
Bosh, Bargs, Hump
JO, Jawai

You'd really rather have our roster??

Ehh... I'm simply responding to your what I think was a rather thoughless post. Not necessarily looking at it in terms the overall team, and long-term product. The only show thing that has impressed me thus far is Brandon Roy. Therefore I would not think about trading away a team with Jose AND Chris Bosh for potential... especially in "3 millseconds".

Rudy: played well in the olympics, was good.
Travis: He's not bad, still pretty young, but nothing to throw away Bosh for... in 3 millseconds.
Aldridge: Bosh is way better than this guy. Funny some Blazers' homers suggesting Aldridge is better.
Oden: He's really a toss up... especially with his inury concerns, I wouldn't condemn either side of those who think: He's a Bust or a HOF in the making. Personally, I'm thinking he's going to be a bust. :( or not live up to the hype.

NONE of the Blazers players you mentioned got anything on Bosh, and only Roy > Jose and therefore, we having the better player on either team... and if the feeling I'm having that.. JO is going to make a lot of people remember just how good he is/can be, I would not trade our team for "potential". :biggrin:

Especially if JO returns to form, we will have THE best frontcourt in the NBA.

Oh well, let's see how they play or Oden even turns out. The future isn't always what it "seems to be", and yes, their "future seems" bright right now. =)

Return to Toronto Raptors