ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Inside Scoop- Smitch and roster update

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

biblast
RealGM
And1: 4,799

Re: Raptors Inside Scoop- Smitch and roster update 

Post#121 » by biblast » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm

chocolateSens1 wrote:
biblast™ wrote:You know sometimes I wonder what exactly do people want on this board ?
What's the problem of acquiring Marbury ? Are you guys happy with Solomon ?
I mean I just don't get the Marbury bashing ! It's obvious that we are hurting at the 2 and at the wing.
Is Marbury our saviour ? No. But if he's waived and available at a relatively cheap price, why not ?
It can only get better from here. People have a short memory. Say all you want about him & his attitude but this is a guy who can still create his own shot and score 20 pts in a big hurry. In fact he's done that quite often against the Raps then again, who hasn't. Anyway, I think he would b an upgrade. Of course, he comes with his baggage but sometimes, players need a different scene & a different coach. Plus if BC were to sign him, it won't be more than 2 yrs contract I'd assume so it's not a huge risk. I think having him can only make this team better.

As history demonstrates, Stephon Marbury has the biggest cancer effect in the entire league. Any team he's been on has gotten worse, and then actually got better when he left.
-Total increase in wins the first season after Marbury left his old team - +49.
-The total decrease in wins in the first season after Marbury joined his new team - -31.

Hilarious post ! That's all I can say !
I got news for you: if you use your "cancer toll calculation" you'll find a lot of players with your so called cancer effect ! This is just ridiculous ! Only on RealGM !
Oh man, some kids on this board are just funny !
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,343

Post#122 » by Shaazzam » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:24 pm

IMO the best time to sign questionable characters is when they are looking to rehabilitate their value and get a new contract.

I never want to be the one giving them that shiny, new contract, but you can benefit from a guy playing nice for 1/2 3/4 of a season looking to get one.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#123 » by Maritimer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:27 pm

biblast, I'd encourage you to inform us kids. Please, list the players over the past ten years who've made their teams worse upon arrival and whose teams have improved upon arrival. Please, educate me o wise one.
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,564

Post#124 » by s e n s i » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:28 pm

biblast™ wrote:
chocolateSens1 wrote:
As history demonstrates, Stephon Marbury has the biggest cancer effect in the entire league. Any team he's been on has gotten worse, and then actually got better when he left.
-Total increase in wins the first season after Marbury left his old team - +49.
-The total decrease in wins in the first season after Marbury joined his new team - -31.

Hilarious post ! That's all I can say !
I got news for you: if you use your "cancer toll calculation" you'll find a lot of players with your so called cancer effect ! This is just ridiculous ! Only on RealGM !
Oh man, some kids on this board are just funny !

Uhhh, this is information retrieved from a book jackass. Not some homemade 'cancer toll calculation'.

Actually, I was wrong. The only players worse than Marbury in this category are Stromile Swift and Juwan Howard. But regardless, there is no doubting that Steph is a born loser. Talented, yeah. Worth the baggage, not really.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#125 » by totallyr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:41 pm

Hmm , wonder who BC has waiting in the wings when Sam is shown the door
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,746

Post#126 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:20 pm

biblast™ wrote:$6Mil is an assumption....You may or may not be right. I was thinking roughly in the $4 Mil range or less. Considering that a lot of scrubs are making that much, I don't think it's outrageous.
The question is our cap situation and the ramifications. Do I think we should spend $6Mil on him and go over the cap ? NO. But if there is way to do it without hurting our cap too much, it's worth a 2nd look. If this rumour is true, that tells me that BC has already tought about the above and somehow hopes that there could be a way of pulling it off. It's just Marbury. I'm holding my breathe, nor should anyone. We shall see.

The 6 million is if we signed him to the league minimum and includes not getting luxury tax payouts. If the Raps sign him for 4 million, they'd be out about 10-12 all told.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 424

Post#127 » by cdel00 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Interesting on Marbury, if BC does get the green light on crossing the tax threshold and does have another trade in mind that does push the Raps into tax territory while reducing the roster size to 12 then signing Marbury makes a lot of sense.

Will this actually happen is a whole different story but the rumor is interesting
redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,792

Post#128 » by redeye514 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:47 pm

I think it's unfair to simply equate Marbury with the luxury tax... there are a lot of things that BC can do to get back under the tax prior to the end of the season if he was to take on Marbury at a minimum deal. I highly doubt BC would go into tax territory simply to offer Marbury a minimum deal...
biblast
RealGM
And1: 4,799

Post#129 » by biblast » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Maritimer wrote:biblast, I'd encourage you to inform us kids. Please, list the players over the past ten years who've made their teams worse upon arrival and whose teams have improved upon arrival. Please, educate me o wise one.

Maritimer, you'd have to elaborate your question properly.
IMO, to suggest that a guy makes the team a cancer because they didn't win with him is simply ridiculous, especially considering what Isiah did in NY !
I don't have time to give you names. We've seen guys playing better on different teams ? Why ? Because their cancer disappear ??? Come one man.
If Marbury had played for all 30 teams in the NBA and still make them lose than you & Chocolate would have a point but to simply state that based on 2 or 3 teams that he played for is IMO ridiculous. This whole cancer thing is always blown out of proportion on this board. The same was said about Jalen Rose when he came over. He didn't win us the title but he didn't spread his "cancer" that he supposedly had.
Look man, I'm not here to defend Marbury or any other player. Again, some players can get into all kinds of issue with a particular team or particular scenario. That's why guys get traded all the time, otherwise no one would touch their "cancereous ass" .
If you think that Marbury would make the Raps worse than that's your opinion. I strongly disagree.
Nuff said.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#130 » by Alfred » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:57 pm

While these rumours seem like they could be fake, it is notable that this trade would clear almost $700,000 off our books, which could open the opportunity to sign Marbury. That makes it a slight bit more believable.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#131 » by Trilogy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Ah crap, now I'm going to be so conflicted when they play tonight.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by Alfred » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:04 pm

Wait a second, I'm getting conflicting salaries between Shamsports and Hoopshype. Anyone want to tell me what Gerald Wallace's contract is yearly?
Trilogy
RealGM

Post#133 » by Trilogy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Alfred wrote:Wait a second, I'm getting conflicting salaries between Shamsports and Hoopshype. Anyone want to tell me what Gerald Wallace's contract is yearly?

Always trust Shamsports over Hoopshype.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,564

Post#134 » by s e n s i » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:15 pm

biblast™ wrote:
Maritimer wrote:biblast, I'd encourage you to inform us kids. Please, list the players over the past ten years who've made their teams worse upon arrival and whose teams have improved upon arrival. Please, educate me o wise one.

Maritimer, you'd have to elaborate your question properly.
IMO, to suggest that a guy makes the team a cancer because they didn't win with him is simply ridiculous, especially considering what Isiah did in NY !

I'm simply stating fact. He certainly hasn't made any team that acquired him better. And teams he's left have actually benefited from his departure. Why is it so outrageous for him to be labeled a cancer?
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Alfred » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:15 pm

So basically, that trade would put us almost 1 Million over the salary cap.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#136 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:17 pm

according to sham sports:

Kapono/Hump/Graham
5, 784, 480
3, 200, 000
2, 449, 184
= 11, 433, 664

Wallace
9.500, 000

= about 2,000, 000 so you could sign 2 minimum players and be under the cap still if thats BCs goal. MLSE would go over the cap though for this trade and to sign marbury. They have said BC has the green light i remember seeing an artical on here so it still could work but say they sign a cheap Power forward then sign marbury but they dont need to include graham to make it work and i think MLSE would still do the trade and sign marbury if it put the raptors in ECF contention
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Trilogy
RealGM

Post#137 » by Trilogy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Alfred wrote:So basically, that trade would put us almost 1 Million over the salary cap.

Well a touch over 600k to be more precise.

Something that could easily be alleviated later by trading a guy like Hassan + Cash to Memphis
for a TE.
CarterDUnk16
Bench Warmer
And1: 125

Post#138 » by CarterDUnk16 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm glad the next few games with be crucial in our direction to shake up the roster. I've been waiting every day for a trade.

As for marbury, it's not like he can hurt us at the PG position with our back-ups. Say what you can say. He's been on the bench for so long, I'm sure he's itching to play any kind of minutes. The opportunity is there but it's up to him(and God). Although he threatened to play in Italy, playing in Toronto should not be a difference besides the exchange rate.
Due to our current roster, Marbury gives us another scoring option, a reliable back up PG,and slashing/driving. Something we desperately need. i would get him for the right price. Sorry but I'm not a fan of Soloman or Roko. Will needs to learn to control himself and Roko needs to be more aggressive on the offense end.
BTW Didn't he play with Sam back in his days with Minnesota?
Trilogy
RealGM

Post#139 » by Trilogy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Oh for the record, I'd take Marbury, he can play 1 and 2 here and still can ball.

If he really becomes a problem, just cut him.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#140 » by durka » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:30 pm

to whoever is complaining that marbury won't be able to defend sgs: we can't do **** on defence with the wings in the first place, so if he can help us outscore the other wings then i'l welcome him with open arms. not only that, but he takes the pressure off of Jose and if he were to ever miss any more time, we would have a pretty good pg to handle the duties. to whether or not this guy is legit: i have no clue, but we can always hope.

Return to Toronto Raptors