ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Inside Scoop- Smitch and roster update

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Re: Raptors Inside Scoop- Smitch and roster update 

Post#241 » by durka » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Dennis P wrote:
bane_dd wrote:
NH wrote:If BC is getting legit offers but is holding onto Bargs because he 'believes' in his prject, that is not a good sign of a good GM. Time to cut his losses and get the best value out of a guy who is teasing ppl with promise again. Bargnani will never be a value for the #1 spot he got picked it. Will he be a serviceable player? YES but a star? NO. If we can get J Rich for Bargnani, please BC just let him go. Joe Dumars did with Darko and it wasn't that painful.

Andrea Bargnani is not Darko Milicic. If you think they are at all similar, you need to stop watching basketball right now.

And I'm tired of people clinging onto this #1 pick notion. So what he was a #1 pick? That bears no relevance to his quality of play and just as it was said prior to that draft, there was no surefire superstar available. The only player from the 06 draft that is presently better than Bargnani is Roy and he is not exactly a superstar either. Andrew Bogut, Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi and Kenyon Martin were all #1 picks.

Please tell me how you know that Bargnani will not be a star in this league? Did your crystal ball tell you that?

I don't think it takes a genius to figure out he won't be a star in this league. A bonafide NBAer? yes but Star hell no.

Why not. He's a versatile big who can pass, shoot, is getting better at posting up, can drive to the net. Add to the fact that he's turning into a great defender before our eyes and I see a star in the making. So give me some reasons why he won't be. Because he was a #1 pick and didn't live up to expectations his first 2 years in the NBA? I'm not going to make excuses for him, but he is stepping it up this year and the people who aren't giving him credit are just being stubborn because they used to call him Bustani and the sports fans in the city are just so damn impatient that they don't realize it takes time for players to grow, even if they were drafted #1. I'd personally rather Bargniani, a peice we can build around for years, then some quick fix.
NH
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#242 » by NH » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:32 pm

Problem with Bargnani is that he plays the same position as our Franchise player. We tried that experiment with TJ and Jose, and that didn't turn out too well. There is no point having 2 main assets competing for playing time. SInce Bosh is a bonafide All-Star, are we really going to let our other asset be the 6th man?? Bargnani will never be a C in the NBA (still has a raw post game and is not a power player) and he can never defned the top SFs in this league. Bargs is a PF plain and simple.

Yes Bargnani has shown potential, but I think the media and fans baby him too much. Everytime he makes grabs a rebound or drives to the lane, people kiss his a** like they are seeing their own chiled improve. I think he will be a good player, but he is still a waste of a 1st overall pick and not something to hold onto dear life for. Oh I can say that Gay, Roy, and LaMarcus are all better than Bargs.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,899

Post#243 » by Duffman100 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:37 pm

NH wrote:
Yes Bargnani has shown potential, but I think the media and fans baby him too much. Everytime he makes grabs a rebound or drives to the lane, people kiss his a** like they are seeing their own chiled improve. I think he will be a good player, but he is still a waste of a 1st overall pick and not something to hold onto dear life for. Oh I can say that Gay, Roy, and LaMarcus are all better than Bargs.

Congratulations. You can say that after the draft. You should really be a general manager.

Bargs is showing some signs and showing that he can play next to Bosh. So we might as well keep him and not get 10 cents on the dollar.
durka
Starter

Post#244 » by durka » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:28 am

NH wrote:Problem with Bargnani is that he plays the same position as our Franchise player. We tried that experiment with TJ and Jose, and that didn't turn out too well. There is no point having 2 main assets competing for playing time. SInce Bosh is a bonafide All-Star, are we really going to let our other asset be the 6th man?? Bargnani will never be a C in the NBA (still has a raw post game and is not a power player) and he can never defned the top SFs in this league. Bargs is a PF plain and simple.

What if Bosh leaves the Raptors and we are left with nothing but Jose and cap space? Personally, I'm not down with giving up Bargs untill we know forsure that we have Bosh for the long term.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#245 » by dagger » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:35 am

NH wrote:Bargnani will never be a C in the NBA (still has a raw post game and is not a power player) and he can never defned the top SFs in this league. Bargs is a PF plain and simple.

Yes Bargnani has shown potential, but I think the media and fans baby him too much. Everytime he makes grabs a rebound or drives to the lane, people kiss his ass.

Your wrong on several levels because a C doesn't have to be a power player. There are different types of centres, and some quite good ones, too. Does he defend others Cs well? Yes. Does he rotate well on help? Not fully there, but getting better, and considering that he's 23, it's not unreasonable to expect improvement. Same for his post game. If people get excited they see the good things he can do, and when he addresses his weaknesses, of course we're encouraged, and we should be.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,666

Post#246 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:39 am

NH wrote:Oh I can say that Gay, Roy, and LaMarcus are all better than Bargs.

You can, but you'd be wrong this year.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,667

Post#247 » by SkywalkerAC » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:40 am

of course AB can play C. and he can play SF. and he can play PF. all in the NBA. he's certainly not "just a PF, plain and simple", he is much more versatile than that. most important is whether he can defend all three positions and the answer seems to be yes. this versatility is what makes him such a special prospect. he opens up the court so much for CB on offense and bosh does the same for him.
DKwan416
Junior
And1: 2

Post#248 » by DKwan416 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:05 am

this thread was the biggest waste of time ever.
nothing came to fruition... so far 17 pages based on some little speculations thrown out with no substance.
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#249 » by stopnpop » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:08 am

Fairview4Life wrote:

LaMarcus is not better..no matter how u look at it...he got minutes last yr..and the offense ran partly thru him..imagine bargs had those minutes and touches...Gay and Roy are better...getting the 3rd best player in the draft is pretty f-in good...especially when no one would have predicted roy

to another point about Bargs never being a C...u have to be a very unintelligent basketball observer to think a centre is just about rpg, and post moves....Bargs has good post d, he blocks shots...he has size...in fact his inside game is even improving...if u think he will never be a capable big look at the careers of C.Robinson, R. Wallace, R. Smits.
durka
Starter

Post#250 » by durka » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:29 am

stopnpop wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

LaMarcus is not better..no matter how u look at it...he got minutes last yr..and the offense ran partly thru him..imagine bargs had those minutes and touches...Gay and Roy are better...getting the 3rd best player in the draft is pretty f-in good...especially when no one would have predicted roy

to another point about Bargs never being a C...u have to be a very unintelligent basketball observer to think a centre is just about rpg, and post moves....Bargs has good post d, he blocks shots...he has size...in fact his inside game is even improving...if u think he will never be a capable big look at the careers of C.Robinson, R. Wallace, R. Smits.

Add former allstars like Brad Miller and Okur to that lists. In my opinion, Bargs can be a legit center, but the question that I have is if his game can blend with Bosh's to make a truley great team. So far, what we need beside Bosh at the C is someone who can defend the centers, which Bargs is proving able to do, as well as draw defenders away from him, which Bargs can do. Is he a better player then Aldridge yet? I don't think so, but he definatlly has a higher ceiling then him.
B_Unit
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#251 » by B_Unit » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:42 am

rocket2981
Senior
And1: 24

Post#252 » by rocket2981 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:50 am

stopnpop wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Very good point, don't forget that 2 other players from this draft are complete busts (Ammo and Thomas) and many people here were rooting to draft one of those. Personnally, I was a Roy supporter but in a trade down scenario cause nobody saw him as a 1st pick overall. Aldridge is still pretty much equal to Bargs IMHO as they are both inconsistent, talented and both shown flashes of brilliance and some great streaks of games. Anyway, LMA is a PF but it's absolutely impossible to see him as a C one day, Bargnani can devellop as a C but I actually likes him a lot this year as a SF/PF/C hybrid...
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#253 » by jeffya2 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:02 am

I love Bosh but @ 23 Bargs is ahead of Bosh's development @ 23. He is 7' who is very very versitile & has shown tremendous D improvment this year. The haters need to STFU as an allstar he will be. How are teams going to match up against a 7'"er who can slash, finger roll, jump shoot, shoot the 3 & is a very good passer / defender already Thank god for BC as he seems to be the only one who really got this one right :clap:
B_Unit
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#254 » by B_Unit » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:07 am

jeffya2 wrote:I love Bosh but @ 23 Bargs is ahead of Bosh's development @ 23. He is 7' who is very very versitile & has shown tremendous D improvment this year. The haters need to STFU as an allstar he will be. How are teams going to match up against a 7'"er who can slash, finger roll, jump shoot, shoot the 3 & is a very good passer / defender already Thank god for BC as he seems to be the only one who really got this one right :clap:

omg is u for relz

22 and 8 is what bosh averaged at age 23 and that is like a bargnani career best game

dont get me wrong im an italian apologist here.. but thats jokes
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#255 » by trick » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:13 am

jeffya2 wrote:I love Bosh but @ 23 Bargs is ahead of Bosh's development @ 23. He is 7' who is very very versitile & has shown tremendous D improvment this year. The haters need to STFU as an allstar he will be. How are teams going to match up against a 7'"er who can slash, finger roll, jump shoot, shoot the 3 & is a very good passer / defender already Thank god for BC as he seems to be the only one who really got this one right :clap:

bosh was an all-star. bargnani is currently not an all-star.

i'm loving the bargs improvement as much as anyone here but let's not go too far.
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
BasketballAbyss
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#256 » by BasketballAbyss » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:28 am

I hate to beat a dead horse...but yeah...Bosh was an all star at 23. I find it kind of funny how you seem to be comparing Bosh at 23 and Bargnani at 23...when Bosh is only 24 right now. People are quick to forget how great Bosh is and was...1 year ago.

I believe in Bargs and I think he'll be alright (shown a lot defensive improvements) but really, you should think about what you say before mindlessly defending him.
Props to Turbo_Zone.
durka
Starter

Post#257 » by durka » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:33 am

even if we were comparing their third season in the league instead of Bargs now and Bosh a year ago, Bosh is waaaaay ahead.In 05-06 CB4 averaged 22.5/9.2/1.1.
NH
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#258 » by NH » Mon Dec 1, 2008 3:03 pm

Hey Raptorgenisus, so any news lately, esp with the rumors around the Suns Barbosa or Diaw?
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#259 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Mon Dec 1, 2008 3:15 pm

yeah im curious any news on the trade front?
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks

Return to Toronto Raptors