ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Inside Scoop- Smitch and roster update

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

yt_boi
Bench Warmer
And1: 260

Re: Raptors Inside Scoop- Smitch and roster update 

Post#81 » by yt_boi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:14 pm

I don't know how some of you guys wouldn't want a marbury on the team. He would let us have an amazing 3 man rotation at the guard spot with him calderon and parker.

Also, what we pay him doesn't matter. It could be the minimum or $5 milli. If MLSE approves us going over the luxury cap, then who cares what we pay him as long as the deal is only for this year and next.

Marbury had his worst year as a pro last year and he still put up:

14 PPG, 5APG, 3 RPG, went to the free throw line 5 times a game, 1 SPG

and thats his worst season ever!

He'd def improve our team

teh GWalls trade would be so in our favour and wouldn't even really affect our cap in 2010 cus Kaps and Humps would still be on their contract
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#82 » by rise of raptors » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:18 pm

A bit of news about the Malbury situation:

In fact, a source close to Marbury claims that within the last two weeks - and before he turned down the chance to play Friday against the Bucks - Marbury told friends that he was finished playing for the Knicks.

The Knicks are expected to either trade or release Marbury within the next few weeks. And judging by the way Marbury's relationship with Mike D'Antoni has deteriorated in recent days, a decision on his future may come soon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/11/24/2008-11-24_for_a_night_anyway_madison_square_garden-1.html
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,667

Post#83 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:19 pm

raptorgenius7 wrote:All i have to say is pay real close attention to the up coming games, especially tomorrows game.

That's your advice? Pay attention to up coming games? Thanks, I hadn't been planning on doing that, but now I am.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,791

Post#84 » by redeye514 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:21 pm

A fews weeks back I had to jump into the GSW/CHA trade rumours thread simply to state that either Harrington or Wallace for Bargnani is ludacris, and that the most either team can expect would be Kapono+Hump and/or Graham/Moon. Iwas laughed at for saying that teams wouldn't trade their 'Top Tier' players for our 'scrubs'. Well... look at what Harrington fetched, and look at what is being rumoured here.

The bootom line is that both Harrington and Wallace, while good players, have huge warts on them that drastically decrease their trade value... whether it is contract, term, health, attitude, etc etc. Kapono/Hump for Wallace seems about the right value, and I would not be surprised if it still being discussed. OR, I wouldn't be surprised if theiur was a third team involved, ie. Dallas & Stackhouse, that is being looked at.
redeye514
Analyst

Post#85 » by redeye514 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 pm

As for Marbury.... low risk, high reward. He has a good relationship with BC. Why not?

As for Smitch getting fired... as much as he drives me insane, I have a soft spot for him. This team has holes, and Sam has never really been given an opportunity to coach a balanced, talented team.
booyah_child
Sixth Man
And1: 818

Post#86 » by booyah_child » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:23 pm

rise of raptors wrote:A bit of news about the Malbury situation:

In fact, a source close to Marbury claims that within the last two weeks - and before he turned down the chance to play Friday against the Bucks - Marbury told friends that he was finished playing for the Knicks.

The Knicks are expected to either trade or release Marbury within the next few weeks. And judging by the way Marbury's relationship with Mike D'Antoni has deteriorated in recent days, a decision on his future may come soon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/11/24/2008-11-24_for_a_night_anyway_madison_square_garden-1.html

Looks like everything is falling into place.... :nod:
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer

Post#87 » by rise of raptors » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:30 pm

redeye514 wrote:As for Marbury.... low risk, high reward. He has a good relationship with BC. Why not?

What is Marbury's relationship with BC anyways? Does anyone know if there's tension etc.? I just know that he was traded with Penny to the NYK for a package including McDyess.
redeye514
Analyst

Post#88 » by redeye514 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:34 pm

rise of raptors wrote:
redeye514 wrote:As for Marbury.... low risk, high reward. He has a good relationship with BC. Why not?

What is Marbury's relationship with BC anyways? Does anyone know if there's tension etc.? I just know that he was traded with Penny to the NYK for a package including McDyess.

I recall reading years back that there was no ill will between the two after the deal. In fact, I remember reading something from Marbury along the lines of Marbury be thankful to BC for 1, believing in him when he dealt for him in NJ, and then two, when it was clear that things needed to be mixed up from Pheonix's persepctive, dealing him to a place that BC knew MArbury would enjoy playing in like NY.
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#89 » by EventHorizon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Bobcats 102 Raptrors 96

Kapono with 21pts
Hump 12pts 10trb
Da Frenchman
Freshman

Post#90 » by Da Frenchman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:44 pm

I don't think Marbury would be a good fit but I could see BC doing it as he has a prior relationship from the Phoenix days. Also, Smitch played in Minnesota with Marbury for 3 years.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... hsa01.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/s ... ayerId=509

I don't see them going over the cap to get him.
underdog33
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#91 » by underdog33 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Before anyone runs away with the marbury idea, I think this is just a possibility, but unlikely. The meeting was probably just to get kapono some open shats.
O'neal and Moon 4 Life
NH
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#92 » by NH » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks for the 'insider info'. It kinda makes sense I guess if the Cats are trading away J Rich soon for Kaman. They will need some point production and if they think Kapono can get them buckets, then yeah. I would think though Parker and Humps would probably be the pieces the Cats want since Parker can do more at the guard position and he is an expiring contract. Perhaps throw in Moon for a:

Parker/Moon/Humps for G Wallace + Filler. This may make more sense.

In terms of Marbury, I do not mind him being on this team, but only if he can accept a back up role. TJ couldn't before because of his ego, so not sure if Marbury can do that as well. Not a big fan of him at the SG, though it could work. I doubt Marbury would want to come to the Raps though. Most of these fading stars go to teams like Cleveland or Boston to try to steal a ring.
Judas Priest
Junior

Post#93 » by Judas Priest » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:14 pm

The difference should Marbury end up coming here (or any team for that matter) is that he won't be expected to be the star or primary scorer. He's past that time in his career. So where ever he ends up, he has a better chance of improving a team than ever before in his career.
New Joey is Born!
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#94 » by Maritimer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:19 pm

raptorgenius7 wrote: And yes this is the same inside source who told me about the TJ ford for JO trade and Bonner for Rasho waay before it happen.

(June 21, 2006) -- The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired centre Rasho Nesterovic and cash considerations from the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for forwards Eric Williams and Matt Bonner, and a 2009 second-round draft pick.

raptorgenius7
Sophomore

I'll believe that the mods have confirmed you have a source, but the above information does have me a little confused....
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
redeye514
Analyst

Post#95 » by redeye514 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Maritimer wrote:
raptorgenius7 wrote: And yes this is the same inside source who told me about the TJ ford for JO trade and Bonner for Rasho waay before it happen.

(June 21, 2006) -- The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired centre Rasho Nesterovic and cash considerations from the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for forwards Eric Williams and Matt Bonner, and a 2009 second-round draft pick.

raptorgenius7
Sophomore

I'll believe that the mods have confirmed you have a source, but the above information does have me a little confused....

Interesting.
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#96 » by TerryTate » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Get me a new SG......quick times
Great
Bench Warmer
And1: 65

Post#97 » by Great » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Marbury has never gotten out of the first round.

Not much of leader emotionally or otherwise.
metaldaze
Senior

Post#98 » by metaldaze » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:56 pm

raptorgenius7 wrote:Hey guys, as some of you know I'm pretty close to someone that works in the raptors organization and he was able to tell me some inside information. First let me start off about the wing situation, according to my source, The Raptors were close in a deal that would of sent gerald wallace our ways and Kapono and hump going to charlotte(about 2 weeks ago), bobcats were seriously considering pulling the trigger but then came up with a counter offer including Bargnani, BC immediately shut down their offer. Also, (many fans wont like to hear this, including myself) BC may have some interest in Marbury if he is waived, possibly puttin him alongside of calderon playing the 2. Moving on to Smitch... I know many of you were probably wondering what the meeting between BC and Smitch was all about, I really wish I could tell you but my source begged me not to leak info. but a clue wont hurt right?.... All i have to say is pay real close attention to the up coming games, especially tomorrows game. I will try my best to update you guys as much as I can!!

What utter nonsense name your source or shut up please this is gossip nothing more.
Nightmare on Bay ST a MLSE production starring Bryan Colangelo ,Mauricio Gherardini ,Andrea Bargnani and Vincenzo Esposito.
h00pst1r
Starter
And1: 1

Post#99 » by h00pst1r » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:09 pm

This is just recycling of old material. I could say my source is Alex English and he told me this and that. This is just some guy wishing these trades happen. I also find it hard to believe that BC and Smitch met and basically Smitch is got one game to prove his worth. If he was going to get fired he would have already. He's going to need to lose the next 2 games at least and even still he probably wouldn't get fired and BC would wait until after the west coast trip.
yk24 wrote:Moon bit on CBs pump fake.
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Post#100 » by C.Boshly » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:13 pm

If mods have verified he has a source than I am inclined to believe him. That doesn't mean everything he says has to come true... it gives you an idea of what the Raptors are looking at.

This thread is hilarous

When I posted this thread a week ago I got flamed... now Marbury is a good idea :lol:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=852152

Return to Toronto Raptors