ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Race to the Playoffs/Lottery Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Funky D
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Re: The Official Race to the Playoffs/Lottery Thread 

Post#41 » by Funky D » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:13 pm

MoPetefor3 wrote:
sycammer wrote:this team needs to make a trade. they have this thing over their heads, everyone's waiting for BC to make a move. the sooner the better for everyone.

raps still have a slight chance, becz i think 2 teams that take the 7-8 spots in the east playoffs will have under .500 records. if the raps go 8-2 in the next 10 games, they'll be 24-27.

Not happening for this reason:

Phoenix - Loss
Atlanta - Loss
Detroit - Loss
Chicago - Win
Sacramento - Kevin Martin/Salmons - Loss
New Jersey - Loss
Milwaukee - Loss
Orlando - Loss
Cleveland - Loss
Lakers - Loss

So therefor, 1-9. We will be 17-34 after the Lakers game, book it!

I am being optimistic with the win against Chicago. That could very well be a loss as well.

If we are 17-34 and still BC hasn't done anything, then yes, we have a worthless GM.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#42 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Funky D wrote:
If we are 17-34 and still BC hasn't done anything, then yes, we have a worthless GM.

Why would he be worthless? Maybe he's called and talked with every GM in the league about making a deal but no ones interested. Making a trade in the NBA is harder and harder every season and that's why we see less big deals every year.

The fact is, he's made MLSE a ton of money for the last two and a half seasons, and that's the bottom line. The Raptors are in the business of making money and BC has done exactly that. If anything I could see them extending his contract at the end of this season even if he doesn't make a move.

BC is the president of of Raptors, on the board of directors for Team Canada and from what I understand MLSE are very happy with the job he has done so far. I don't see him going anywhere, unless he wants to move on.
Funky D
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Funky D » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:43 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
Funky D wrote:

Why would he be worthless? Maybe he's called and talked with every GM in the league about making a deal but no ones interested. Making a trade in the NBA is harder and harder every season and that's why we see less big deals every year.

The fact is, he's made MLSE a ton of money for the last two and a half seasons, and that's the bottom line. The Raptors are in the business of making money and BC has done exactly that. If anything I could see them extending his contract at the end of this season even if he doesn't make a move.

BC is the president of of Raptors, on the board of directors for Team Canada and from what I understand MLSE are very happy with the job he has done so far. I don't see him going anywhere, unless he wants to move on.

Worthless to the fanbase, then. If we're talking about making money for the corporation, then maybe he's done a good job - not in Richard Peddie's league of 'making money and pissing off fans' good, but still good.

I don't own stock in MLSE so I don't care if they make money. Our teams currently suck. So if you're happy that MLSE is happy and the team sucks, then good for you I suppose. If you're a FAN of the teams, then he's done a bad job.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#44 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Funky D wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:
Funky D wrote:

Worthless to the fanbase, then. If we're talking about making money for the corporation, then maybe he's done a good job - not in Richard Peddie's league of 'making money and pissing off fans' good, but still good.

I don't own stock in MLSE so I don't care if they make money. Our teams currently suck. So if you're happy that MLSE is happy and the team sucks, then good for you I suppose. If you're a FAN of the teams, then he's done a bad job.

How has he done a bad job? Again, did you watch the Raptors before BC arrived? The team was horrible and there wasn't much hope we had a chance to get better.

BC arrived, we made the playoffs two seasons in a row and have a very god core of players in Bosh, Bargnani and Calderon. It's not all doom and gloom because of one bad season as most people here can see we are very close to being a good team. I think most fans understand we only need a few small moves to be a very good team in the East. This season, yeah we suck, but that doesn't mean BC can't turn it around quickly like he did when he arrived.

All teams have ups and downs, and all GM's make mistakes, but turning a 27 win team into a 47 win team in just a few months and calling it a failure is just crazy to me.

The last time we had won 40 games was five seasons before he arrived.
Rapsfan4life
Rookie
And1: 56

Post#45 » by Rapsfan4life » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 pm

This team reminds me a lot of the bulls last year.. they where supposed to be a great team (made confence finals) instead they sucked all year and they got a great player in rose in the draft... maybe we can do the same but instead of getting the top pick we can possibly move our pick (prob top 10) and grab a proven wingmn on a losing team (I.E. caron butler)
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#46 » by SkywalkerAC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 am

bring on the lottery!

this has turned out to be a fantastic year, as a raptors fan, to go traveling, and that's exactly what i'm going to do. i'm taking off to south east asia and am pretty much going to be happy with losses (unless they actually scrap their way to the playoffs of course). still miserable but with an eye firmly set on the draft, you know how it is.

BC set this team up to sink or swim and right now we're floundering. we still have a very real shot at making the playoffs but I expect/hope that BC will sabotage any comeback with the turmoil surrounding a trade and some time for CB4 on the IR.

i've been saying for a long time that this is a transition year. next year we'll have a new coach, new players, a rookie or two to cheer for, and another offseason of progress for Bargnani I hope.

earl clark is the guy that i'm targeting right now. we need a rebounding, defensive SF with size and talent. then we get a dribble/drive athlete at the 2 and we're ready to start the next era of Raptor basketball.
ansoncarter
Head Coach
And1: 367

Post#47 » by ansoncarter » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:35 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:b

earl clark is the guy that i'm targeting right now. we need a rebounding, defensive SF with size and talent. then we get a dribble/drive athlete at the 2 and we're ready to start the next era of Raptor basketball.

he looks amazing. If I didn't read draftexpress I would have thought he was consensus to go 2nd overall

can't remember what draftexpress said but he looks pretty impressive creating looks. Plus that wingspan plus he's explosive? we need that guy

yesterday the announcers kept saying he's lazy and loses focus which is great news for us, since maybe he'll slip. Because his talent/upside probably puts him out of our reach
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#48 » by EventHorizon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:47 pm

WOW, with the way things are going I am actually starting to consider that we might actually pick in the top 10. What's this hype with Earl Clark? Youtube videos don't do justice but I saw nothing remarkable. DeRozan on the other hand looks like a Iggy/Carter hybrid some analysts even compare him to Kobe but I think that's a stretch.

No need for a point guard. We have Calderon, Roko and soon to be Banks. The pick should be strictly a SF/SG. IF BC wants a point guard Portland may get desperate for a shooter come deadline maybe they'll trade Bayless.
Carnage
Starter

Post#49 » by Carnage » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:44 am

The way things are looking, the Raptors will probably pick somewhere in the lottery. Imagine for a second, on lottery night the Raptors as luck would have it draw #1 (in another weak draft year). What do you do then?

-Draft Griffin (Put him on the bench behind Bargs and Bosh)
-Trade the pick (what can you get for a #1 pick in a weak draft year?)
-Trade Bosh
-Trade Bargs
-Draft Ricky Rubio (what if he doesn't enter the draft?)
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by EventHorizon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 am

I highly doubt Toronto can pull a Chicago and get the first. Although if we do, it would be best to trade down into 7-12 range.
Kush
Veteran
And1: 4

Post#51 » by Kush » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:50 am

EventHorizon wrote:I highly doubt Toronto can pull a Chicago and get the first. Although if we do, it would be best to trade down into 7-12 range.

If we end up with the #1 pick, I hope we don't make the same mistake and take blake Griffen when we already have Bosh..I hope we trade down and take Harden or Al Farouq or Curry.
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#52 » by killerbs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Damn right when I wanted 1st draft pick lol jk
MTLraptor
Banned User
And1: 0

This year is done 

Post#53 » by MTLraptor » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm

I dont see how the raptors can make the playoffs this year. I remember that the 04-05 Nuggets and the 04-05 Nets had about the same record as the raptors this year at this point of the season. But dont forget that they miraculously made the playoffs because of their team depth (the nets had 3 superstars and the nuggets had depth in their team). The raptors have crappy wings, and has only 1 all-star plus 2 OK players (calderon and bargnani) but the rest pure garbage. I dont see them making the playoffs this year.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#54 » by 99 Problems » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Can a team be ranked 14th this late in the season and still make the playoffs?
kirbs
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: This year is done 

Post#55 » by kirbs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:55 pm

MTLraptor wrote:I dont see how the raptors can make the playoffs this year. I remember that the 04-05 Nuggets and the 04-05 Nets had about the same record as the raptors this year at this point of the season. But dont forget that they miraculously made the playoffs because of their team depth (the nets had 3 superstars and the nuggets had depth in their team). The raptors have crappy wings, and has only 1 all-star plus 2 OK players (calderon and bargnani) but the rest pure garbage. I dont see them making the playoffs this year.

Richard Jefferson missed the entire 2nd half of the 04-05 season. The Nets went 14-3 in their last 17 games without Jefferson, and Vince averaged about 32 PPG over that stretch.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#56 » by SkywalkerAC » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:15 am

another loss.

the next stretch is a tough one, and the team will continue to be mired in trade rumours.

top 10 pick here we come.

anyone know why aminu isn't on this year's draftexpress mock?
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,104

Post#57 » by RapsFanInVA » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:19 pm

Title should be edited to remove the word Playoffs. No need in giving us false hope. Hello lottery!
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by EventHorizon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:01 am

Too bad there is no clear-cut superstar in this draft, the closest thing is Blake Griffin but he's not for the Raptors.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,509

Post#59 » by dagger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:06 am

EventHorizon wrote:Too bad there is no clear-cut superstar in this draft, the closest thing is Blake Griffin but he's not for the Raptors.

And why not?

If we won the lottery, wouldn't you choose the best player? Especially since Bosh can walk as an FA in 2010?
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Romaniano
Banned User
And1: 611

Stop winning, tank the season 

Post#60 » by Romaniano » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 pm

we're the 8th worst team in the league.... we need to go like 26-14 just to finish at .500 and then face a team like Boston and get whooped. No point in winning... if I were the coach id just tell them to tank it. Most likely thats what he told them anyway, which is why Moon took the shot.

Return to Toronto Raptors