ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Race to the Playoffs/Lottery Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

yucatan87
Sixth Man
And1: 119

Re: Stop winning, tank the season 

Post#61 » by yucatan87 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 pm

We already stopped winning, not much more that we can do right now.
alpha
Starter
And1: 179

Post#62 » by alpha » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Such an idiotic statement.. Do you honestly think a coach would tell players to tank it? No matter what , they are professional athletes. Tanking isn't in their nature.
Morena R
Analyst
And1: 1
Location: Born in Santo Dominigo,Dominican Rep, But I Go To School In Toronto

Post#63 » by Morena R » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Even if thats the right thing to do BC wouldn't allow it
Romaniano
Banned User
And1: 611

Post#64 » by Romaniano » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 pm

alpha wrote:Such an idiotic statement.. Do you honestly think a coach would tell players to tank it? No matter what , they are professional athletes. Tanking isn't in their nature.

Really? And game and ref. fixing in Boston was in their nature? Theres more to pro sports than you may think.

I'd rather have a high draft pick, get some talented youngsters than win for absolutely no reason. The fans already know we aren't playoff bound, this team is crap. The only reason NOT to tank might be economic so they can still sell tickets... but they can still lose by small margins like they have thus far.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#65 » by timdunkit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Romaniano wrote:
alpha wrote:Such an idiotic statement.. Do you honestly think a coach would tell players to tank it? No matter what , they are professional athletes. Tanking isn't in their nature.

Really? And game and ref. fixing in Boston was in their nature? Theres more to pro sports than you may think.

I'd rather have a high draft pick, get some talented youngsters than win for absolutely no reason. The fans already know we aren't playoff bound, this team is crap. The only reason NOT to tank might be economic so they can still sell tickets... but they can still lose by small margins like they have thus far.

You answered your own question, they won't tank due to economic reasons. Also, don't you guys realize that the guys that are playing are young? How old are Joey, Bosh, Bargs, Ukic? and even Jose is only 26/27. Tanking installs the losing mentality that we lost 2 years ago why bring it back. We need to retool not rebuild .... We need to move JO because he is not contributing at all with his injuries ... we are not as far back as rebuilding teams like T-Wolves or Thunder ....
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Re: The Official Race to the Playoffs/Lottery Thread 

Post#66 » by supersub15 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:59 am

Good job by our scrubs. We are 9th in the race to the lotto, with a chance for Indiana, Golden State and Minnesota to leapfrog us pretty soon. I'm loving it. We need to keep climbing that ladder to mediocrity.
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#67 » by CapeCrusader » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:53 am

pretty sick thread....the images of the teams make it look nice too lol
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#68 » by COY0607 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:01 am

at this point i would be very happy with a o neal for marbury - staright up trade.......even throw in moon if they want
wazabifuzz
Starter
And1: 599

Post#69 » by wazabifuzz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:52 am

Gerald Henderson

I want this guy.. been watching him @ Duke, pretty good player
TheRaptorTruth
Senior
And1: 183

Post#70 » by TheRaptorTruth » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:18 am

You know what, we should just tank for two years and attract all the free agents to us in 2010.
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#71 » by CapeCrusader » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:26 am

I'm surprised to see Golden St and LA CLips near to dead last in the record standings. One team has too many 2-3's, while lacking that big man beside the big man they already have. While the other team is crowded with 4-5's and could use that 2 guard to improve their team. Not that I really care about any other team besides our beloved Raps, but the Knicks did a number on those teams by unloading a couple of their top salaries on them.
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#72 » by Yosemite Dan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:37 am

COY0607 wrote:at this point i would be very happy with a o neal for marbury - staright up trade.......even throw in moon if they want

Why would NY go for this trade in any way. JO is the exact opposite of what D'antoni wants and NY will have cap space for 2010 regardless so there's no urgent need for them to take on JO's contract. While NY is fantasizing about getting Lebron, at least until he re-signs with Cleveland this summer, D'antoni still wants to instill his system into the heads of his young players he has now and gets before 2010 and JO on the team would only severely hamper that. There is absolutely no upside for NY to take on JO no matter how you look at it. They may want to keep tanking but they want to do it with the players D'antoni wants and JO is not one of them. Having JO's contract in the books would only prevent any little peices that NY might want to pick up this summer. It ain't happening.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#73 » by 99 Problems » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 am

What are we now, 12 games under? A team goes this far, there's no turning back..
notic101
Lead Assistant
And1: 48

Post#74 » by notic101 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:26 pm

supersub15 wrote:Good job by our scrubs. We are 9th in the race to the lotto, with a chance for Indiana, Golden State and Minnesota to leapfrog us pretty soon. I'm loving it. We need to keep climbing that ladder to mediocrity.

As long as we're achieving something, I'm happy.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#75 » by 5DOM » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm

wazabifuzz wrote:Gerald Henderson

I want this guy.. been watching him @ Duke, pretty good player

please no
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#76 » by some_rand » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:55 am

aminu is the answer to our problems at the sf position
saham
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#77 » by saham » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:30 pm

I don't think i would have thought that i would say this, but at this point we need to TANK it. The more we lose, the better opportunity to grab a solid wing from the draft. I hope somehow we can nab Harden. If not, Aminu sounds like an interesting prospect.
raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Post#78 » by raps4life~ » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:28 pm

the season is actually getting exciting now. rather than being slightly above .500, making the 8th seed and losing to the Cavs/Magic/Celts in 4 games, we get a meaningful draft pick, and hopefully a very active summer.
The Boshpit!
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#79 » by The Boshpit! » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:36 pm

I'll be updating this thread after our game against the Bulls tonight.

Games of importance for playoff run:

Milwaukee @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Chicago
New Jersey @ San Antonio

Games of importance for tank nation:

Phoenix @ Charlotte
Houston @ Indiana
Memphis @ New York
New Orleans @ Minnesota
Toronto @ Chicago
Cleveland @ Golden State
Oklahoma City @ L.A. Clippers
GoodTrade
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#80 » by GoodTrade » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:15 am

Didn't see a place to post this but I think we should forget about trades after we get Marion for JO and focus on this offseason and make some nice FA acquisitions

FA signing:

Matt Barnes(SF)
Joe Smith(PF)
Marcus Williams(PG)
Ben Gordon(SG)
Gerald Green(SG)
Trevor Ariza(SF)

DO NOT RESIGN ANYONE unless you need to fill a hole. Out of all the expirings I would only sign AP for veteran leadership if he would play at a discount due to age. Depending on Jawaii's development I would resign him as a nice energy guy off the bench at the C to fill that hole. Looking at a pretty solid team with massive depth and a young bright future.

Calderon/Williams/Ukic
Gordon/Green/AP?
Ariza/Barnes/Kapono
Bosh/Smith/Hump
Bargnani/Jawaii/1st round pick?

To sign all these guys you would have to find a team to dump Kapono on for a 2nd rounder. I hope BC can do this at this years deadline to a contender that needs shooting. If they do this they should still be under the tax by close to $1M

Return to Toronto Raptors