ImageImageImageImageImage

Bosh/Bargs By The Numbers

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,459

Bosh/Bargs By The Numbers 

Post#1 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 10:49 pm

Some of you maybe tired of hearing this but there is vocal minority on this board who think Bargs/Bosh front court is headed for disaster. Many of you believe that this our area of strength and we should use our limited assets to improve other areas of our team. IMO our most pressing need is to address Bargs/Bosh issue. We can't have them BOTH on the floor at the same time for more then 25 min per game as its impossible to overcome their lack of defense even if they are playing great on offense. Either we have to move one of them or get another legit big men who can play 25-30 min per game.

What I did was looked our front court stats with Bosh/Bargs. Bosh/WITHOUT Bargs. Bargs/Without Bosh. This doesn't include in those minutes in which Bargs started at the SF. As well numbers are pretty self explanatory. Points Per Possession both offensively and allowed (defensively). The best offensive numbers for 5 unit is around 1.20 by the Lakers. Best defensive 5 unit is the cavs at around 0.95.

Bosh & Bargs
Min Off Def
810 1.07 1.11

So what does this mean? Basically per 92 possessions (which is what we are at right now) we will score 98 points against 102 allowed. Defensively this would be easily in the bottom 3. For instance Golden State allows at around 1.10 per possession.

Bosh/No Bargs
Min Off Def
464 1.07 1.05

This is lineup is with JO as center. I would say about half of these minutes were from Sam era. With this lineup we score 98PPG and allow about 97PPG.

Bargs/No Bosh
Min Off Def
92 0.94 1.10

This sample size is too small to make much out of it. All those minutes come with JO however so it probably will only get uglier at the end of the season because games with Jake/Pops/Hump will dominate.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Re: Bosh/Bargs By The Numbers 

Post#2 » by timdunkit » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:02 pm

I think you should break the number downs, and mention when events happen ... For example, Bargs/Bosh numbers would account for everything (included the december which Bargnani was terrible) and the reason why most have been given hope (which is the last 30 games) ...
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by lemondrop » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:04 pm

YESSS another Bargnani/Bosh thread! I was getting so frustrated that we havn't had one in an hr I was going to start one myself.

Thank you so much now I can sleep better tonight
raptor21_85
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#4 » by raptor21_85 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:06 pm

Hey people, if Bosh and Bargs played the whole game, would we win? (they average +40 pts this year as a frontcourt).
LeBronxJames
Banned User

Post#5 » by LeBronxJames » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:07 pm

Mr. Bargnani very strong and powerful. He like me who hit three all night long. Mr. Bosh will win us championship!
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#6 » by 5DOM » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:08 pm

lemondrop wrote:YESSS another Bargnani/Bosh thread! I was getting so frustrated that we havn't had one in an hr I was going to start one myself.

dont be a hater.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#7 » by supersub15 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:08 pm

lemondrop wrote:YESSS another Bargnani/Bosh thread! I was getting so frustrated that we havn't had one in an hr I was going to start one myself.

Instead of criticizing posters and moderators left, right and center, why don't you contribute something of substance? The OP put a lot of time researching this information. Respond to the topic or don't post in here
raptor21_85
Banned User

Post#8 » by raptor21_85 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:09 pm

No one has answered to my question yet
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#9 » by HighOctane » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:12 pm

I don't think their games are comparable. Teams are most likely to put their tougher defender on Bosh and double him, leaving Bargs more offensive space. If Bargnani got the same respect, then we could resort to stats.
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#10 » by lemondrop » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:21 pm

This isn't about me. Respond to the content of the thread please.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#11 » by dagger » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:31 pm

You cannot possibly make a judgment on this frontcourt without looking at the other three players on the floor. And you cannot make an educated judgment without knowing Bosh's and Bargnani's ceiling, especially the latter.

Let's put it this way. If you put Andre Iguodala or Danny Granger on the court with Bosh and Bargnani instead of Jason Kapono, would we win more games? If we put a real defensive stopper on the wing instead of Jason Kapono, would our interior defensive presence be stronger?

The whole premise of the thread is flawed when removed from the context of the entire lineup on the floor because we know that the 4 and 5 are our most talented positions now, not the least talented.

And I don't care how hard the OP worked on his premise. A flawed argument is still a flawed argument even if he burned the midnight oil to come up with his flawed argument.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#12 » by Clutch Carter » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:34 pm

So what you are trying to say is that, with Bosh and Bargs frontcourt, we have lost allot of games this year, and the numbers back that up. Is that some socking revelation?

I suppose the Raptors lose allot of games because of their two best players, not the other jobbers on the team.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

raptor21_85
Banned User

Post#13 » by raptor21_85 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:35 pm

raptor21_85 wrote:Hey people, if Bosh and Bargs played the whole game, would we win? (they average +40 pts this year as a frontcourt).
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#14 » by timdunkit » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:37 pm

raptor21_85 wrote:
raptor21_85 wrote:Hey people, if Bosh and Bargs played the whole game, would we win? (they average +40 pts this year as a frontcourt).

No, what would happen is both end up been gassed out after 5 games and then you will see Voshkul + OBryant as our starting front court ... players aren't just mechanical , they have energy issues too (i.e. Big Z from the Cavs cannot play over 35 minutes, its really rare to see him play that long) ... Some players can sustain high levels of play for 40 min + but it just tires them out quicker and adds more tear ...
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#15 » by lemondrop » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:46 pm

dagger wrote:You cannot possibly make a judgment on this frontcourt without looking at the other three players on the floor. And you cannot make an educated judgment without knowing Bosh's and Bargnani's ceiling, especially the latter.

Let's put it this way. If you put Andre Iguodala or Danny Granger on the court with Bosh and Bargnani instead of Jason Kapono, would we win more games? If we put a real defensive stopper on the wing instead of Jason Kapono, would our interior defensive presence be stronger?

The whole premise of the thread is flawed when removed from the context of the entire lineup on the floor because we know that the 4 and 5 are our most talented positions now, not the least talented.

And I don't care how hard the OP worked on his premise. A flawed argument is still a flawed argument even if he burned the midnight oil to come up with his flawed argument.

+1

Thank you for some real substance I was so annoyed I didn't think the op even deserved a response even though he spent countless hours trying to find some stats he could rip Bargnani for. Im not sure why he would though the op is such a Bargnani supporter, everyday he drools all over him or wait thats me, the op is more like mustard tiger with his daily bargnani hate.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#16 » by MEDIC » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:47 pm

Hmmmm.....Detroit was 3-9 last month. Must mean that theteam can't win with Hamilton, Prince & Wallace as their core.......

This team needs a penetrating, defensive minded PG & SG. If BC get's us that, you will see the team do wonders with Bosh & Bargnani as their core. I can gaurantee you that........
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,459

Post#17 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 12:25 am

dagger wrote:You cannot possibly make a judgment on this frontcourt without looking at the other three players on the floor. And you cannot make an educated judgment without knowing Bosh's and Bargnani's ceiling, especially the latter.

I think you are looking at the wrong way. You think our defense is bad because of our backcourt and other players not named Bosh/Bargs are horrible defenders. Thus you replace them and all of sudden our defense improves. IMO defense starts with your big men. You can put Artest/Bowen on the wings and our defense will only marginally improve. You put a good defensive big men in and that will have greater effect on your defense.

dagger wrote:Let's put it this way. If you put Andre Iguodala or Danny Granger on the court with Bosh and Bargnani instead of Jason Kapono, would we win more games? If we put a real defensive stopper on the wing instead of Jason Kapono, would our interior defensive presence be stronger?

I don't know what will happen if you put those players in and neither do you. I can tell that you when we remove Bargs from the equation our defense DRAMATICALLY improves.

Calderon-Parker-Moon-Bargnani-Bosh in 208 minutes have OFF: 1.09 DEF: 1.16
Calderon-Parker-Moon-Bosh-O'Neal in 142 minutes have OFF: 0.98 DEF: 0.96

That is difference of nearly 10PPG per game! All I did was remove Bargs and kept everybody else the same. Now if we did the same with Bosh and kept Bargs in the lineup, I'm not sure how much our defense would improve. But I doubt it would be any worse then when they played together.

dagger wrote:The whole premise of the thread is flawed when removed from the context of the entire lineup on the floor because we know that the 4 and 5 are our most talented positions now, not the least talented.

How is it flawed? Anyway you look at it Bosh/Bargs front court is failure. Look at the stats. Look at our wins/losses. I gave you stats which show we do better when WE DON'T play Bosh/Bargs together. Statically they maybe putting up great numbers but that doesn't translate to much because DEFENSE which is HALF THE GAME and doesn't show up in the stats except for Points Against. And you can conveniently put that on our other players (calderon, kapono, etc).

MEDIC wrote:Hmmmm.....Detroit was 3-9 last month. Must mean that theteam can't win with Hamilton, Prince & Wallace as their core.......

I'm glad you brought that up because it actually proves my point. Detriot is like 6-1 when they don't play with RIP but AI. They are like 3-0 when they don't play with Stuckey but AI/RiP. They are like 5-2 when they play WITHOUT AI but Stuckey/RIP. I think they have losing record with AI/Stuckey/RIP.

What does that tell you? Forcing your team to play with your two identical players because they are your most "TALENTED" players hurts your TEAM as whole and leads to LESS wins. Any resemblance to what we are doing here?
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#18 » by KG1585 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 12:33 am

Bargs has really improved defensively, give him a few more years, he will be a good defensive player. Bosh and Bargs has been far from the Raps this year, the wing position is. Someone posted the stat with AP, where he scores well, the Raps usually win. If the Raps can get good consistent production form the wing position, they will win a lot more games.
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#19 » by The Notic » Sun Mar 8, 2009 12:36 am

i support knickerbocker2k2 :rock:. best poster on the raptors board. by far.
cutthroat
Senior

Post#20 » by cutthroat » Sun Mar 8, 2009 1:01 am

supersub15 wrote:

Instead of criticizing posters and moderators left, right and center, why don't you contribute something of substance? The OP put a lot of time researching this information. Respond to the topic or don't post in here

you should do the same thing.

Return to Toronto Raptors