ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Bosh breaks own record

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Chris Bosh breaks own record 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:40 pm

read more here

Okay, so we all know that Chris Bosh doesn’t drive the ball often enough and never attacks the basket and he’s a soft jump-shooting big man, he said with dripping sarcasm.

So, if that’s the case, riddle me this, folks:

How did Bosh set a new Raptor record last night by getting nine trips to the line that gave him 599 for the season? That eclipses his own record of 590, set in 2006-07.

Oh, and how’s he been to the line more than all but four guys in the entire league this season? How’s been there more often than Kobe, more often than Tim Duncan, more often than Brandon Roy or Shaquille O’Neal?

Now, I’m not a big stats guy as the only way to measure a players’ impact on a game, a season or his team.

But those are impressive numbers even to me. And really ought to silence some of the critics, shouldn’t they? They won’t, of course. But they should.
reck0n3r
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Chris Bosh breaks own record 

Post#2 » by reck0n3r » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 pm

Maybe his yelp/grunt is more effective than those other guys?
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,284

Post#3 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:49 pm

He is an effective offensive flopper. Perhaps the best power forward flopper ever.

Again, I know he does get contact, but he sells it pretty good too, as though he's been shot from the nosebleed seats.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
gloriousthree
Junior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by gloriousthree » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:51 pm

Thats pretty amazing actually. I wonder how often he'd get to the line if he was rediculously aggressive.
Greasenani FTW!!
ansoncarter
Head Coach
And1: 367

Post#5 » by ansoncarter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:58 pm

you know that stat on 82 games "% of shots taken in close"

does that take into account his drives where he doesn't score, since they don't actually show up in the boxscore as field goal attempts?

always wondered if he was getting ripped off on that stat
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#6 » by 5DOM » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:03 pm

ansoncarter wrote:you know that stat on 82 games "% of shots taken in close"

does that take into account his drives where he doesn't score, since they don't actually show up in the boxscore as field goal attempts?

always wondered if he was getting ripped off on that stat

i'm assuming you meant the times he missed the shots because he got fouled

just add %of shots from close range + free throws

if you look at the stats, he takes way too many jumpers for a C, but just average for a PF which he is.

edit: adding those dont work as adding every ATT% =/=100
so i guess FTs are counted already
ansoncarter
Head Coach

Post#7 » by ansoncarter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:He is an effective offensive flopper. Perhaps the best power forward flopper ever.

Again, I know he does get contact, but he sells it pretty good too, as though he's been shot from the nosebleed seats.

think your exaggerating a bit there

he sells it about the same as everyone else who plays that style
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by 5DOM » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:13 pm

i don't know, i agree with Yuri here.
he's a great flopper
ansoncarter
Head Coach

Post#9 » by ansoncarter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:16 pm

when I think flopper, I think a guy who actually goes to the floor

bosh just waves his arms and yells. Pretty much everyone does that, especially the guys who lead the freethrow lists every year
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:18 pm

ansoncarter wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:He is an effective offensive flopper. Perhaps the best power forward flopper ever.

think your exaggerating a bit there

he sells it about the same as everyone else who plays that style

As was mentioned by reck0n3r name one other power forward that sounds more like a tennis player hitting the ball than a basketball player everytime he drives the lane. I can't. I also find that he doesn't finish for the "and 1" near as many times as other players who play that style. I'm not knocking Chris, but IMO he is the best Power Forward OFFENSIVE Flopper of all time.
Scott Carefoot
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#11 » by Scott Carefoot » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:21 pm

Bosh is fifth in the league in free throw attempts. He's ahead of Kobe and Pierce, and behind D12, D-Wade, LeBron and Devin Harris. Nobody accuses any of those guys of not driving enough, so I'm not sure where Bosh's bad rap comes from. I just think there are a lot of Raptors fans who love to hate on Bosh.
kingkao
Rookie
And1: 77

Post#12 » by kingkao » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:21 pm

I agree, biggest offensive flopper. Some of the weak contact seen on Bosh is called that would not be called against anyone else.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by 5DOM » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:26 pm

I think part of the reason why people call him soft is because he often takes jumpers near the end of the games when he should be attacking. He does attack the basket quite often, but some of the jumpers he takes are just really bad shot selections.
baller1069
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#14 » by baller1069 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:33 pm

I think that his free throw numbers were much higher at the start of the year. Is it just me or does anyone else think Bosh was a slashing feen in those first 20 or so games. I just remember watching every game and thinking so damn highly of Bosh and having such an affection for the improvements he made to his game. But then IMO he stopped slashing nearly as much.

If supersub or anyone could put together some stats with FT attempts during the first 20 or so games, first half of the season, and second half, that would be sik.
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#15 » by distracted » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:I also find that he doesn't finish for the "and 1" near as many times as other players who play that style.

The stats don't seem to agree with you here. These aren't this year's stats, as 82games doesn't keep this as a regular stat, but Bosh is up at the top of the league at converting when fouled (in 04/05 and 05/06).

Linky
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,343

Post#16 » by Shaazzam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:38 pm

5DOM wrote:I think part of the reason why people call him soft is because he often takes jumpers near the end of the games when he should be attacking. He does attack the basket quite often, but some of the jumpers he takes are just really bad shot selections.

It's tough as hell to get whistles late in games going to the rim, and he's a PF not a SG. He's quick for a PF, but compared to guys who can slice and dice defences late in games, he's not on that level, nor is it reasonable to expect that from him.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:47 pm

distracted wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:I also find that he doesn't finish for the "and 1" near as many times as other players who play that style.

The stats don't seem to agree with you here. These aren't this year's stats, as 82games doesn't keep this as a regular stat, but Bosh is up at the top of the league at converting when fouled (in 04/05 and 05/06).

Linky

I'd be interested in seeing what his numbers are for this season. Again, I could be wrong, but if he is top five in free throw attempts (fouls drawn) you'd expect that to carry over and for him to be top five in 3pt plays no? Again, I'm not questioning Bosh's toughness or skill, I'm merely saying he is the best offensive flopping power forward I've seen. Like it or not folks, this is the flopping era in basketball and add to that the fact that Bosh is entitled to get his "star calls" then you have a recipe for him to be top 5 in free throws attempted and fouls drawn.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,994

Post#18 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:53 pm

I think his flailing dreads prompt a couple of extra whistles a game.
ansoncarter
Head Coach

Post#19 » by ansoncarter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
As was mentioned by reck0n3r name one other power forward that sounds more like a tennis player hitting the ball than a basketball player everytime he drives the lane. I can't.

half the players in the league yell. Not sure why your singling out bosh but whatever. Never really understood the bosh opinions on this board anyways. From this flop stuff (which is pretty routine in the league), to "he holds the ball too long", to "he doesn't drive enough" to "why doesn't he take over in crunchtime"

meh
I also find that he doesn't finish for the "and 1" near as many times as other players who play that style.

there's probably a stat for this somewhere
hopefully someone's bored enough to look it up
I'm not knocking chris

lol yes you are
you just called him the worst alltime for offensive flopping. And said he looks like someone shot him from the rafters.

Even though he almost never hits the deck. Ever. This board sucks
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by 5DOM » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
5DOM wrote:I think part of the reason why people call him soft is because he often takes jumpers near the end of the games when he should be attacking. He does attack the basket quite often, but some of the jumpers he takes are just really bad shot selections.

It's tough as hell to get whistles late in games going to the rim, and he's a PF not a SG. He's quick for a PF, but compared to guys who can slice and dice defences late in games, he's not on that level, nor is it reasonable to expect that from him.

Good point, but he can do something other than taking a contested jump shot. I know it's an unfair comparison to Chris (because he has inferior supporting cast), but TD manages to stay very effective while not scoring. Besides, if taking a contested jump shot was our plan, we have better midrange shooters than him.

Return to Toronto Raptors